Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-05-2017, 07:50 AM
Extreme Fan

While we all have our favourite actors, singers, books and etc. I'm trying not to be biased. If some song from mine favourite artist sound bad, I can admit it.
ER started in 1994 and early 00's episodes def. look way better than Grey's ever was. Grey's main problem was always that ABC use cheapest CGI possible. They shot it on small Universal soundstage and every time they show a helicopter, other side of street and now even Bailey cabinet (view from window that replicates their previous hospital location) is all CGI and it looks so freaking cheap. They just walking around the same location for the most of episode, and when they are not you see them walking in front of green screens.
ER was shot in Burbank which is not amazing by any means, but they at least build 2 floors and heavily used Burbank fake streets. Also, they used tons of real life locations even in later seasons. Either way ER looks way more expensive and better produced than Grey's Anatomy. You should check episodes like Crossing and 2 Ships to see what I'm talking about. Grey's and their green screens just can't compare.
House M.D looks okay. Well, better than current Grey's, that's for sure. Some of clothes and hair styles aged badly. I remember there was some terrible stunt episode with awful CGI, though, but it looked bad upon the original airing.

Last edited by ERussia; 03-05-2017 at 08:40 PM
Old 03-06-2017, 04:06 AM
Supreme Fan

To each their own

Anyway. Once Upon a Time had a new episode again after a few months of break. Jos and I were smart enough to save the final two episodes from before the break to watch closer to the new episodes. Watched them yesterday, so that we were able to watch the new episode tonight. Really glad we waited, because the cliffhanger was quite good

I heard Homeland had a very strong episode, can't wait to be more up to date with the show, but knowing how much we like it, we're better off waiting a few years. Then we are able to watch all of the episodes without any breaks
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | Veronica Mars | Charmed | The Crown | Game of Thrones | Killing Eve | Damages | The Good Wife/The Good Fight | His Dark Materials | Homeland | Brothers & Sisters | The Resident | Everwood | Person of Interest | Fringe | Parenthood | Revenge | Big Little Lies| One Chicago | Everwood | Bones | Big Bang Theory | Marvelous Mrs Maisel | The Good Place | & More.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:29 AM
Extreme Fan

OUAT is another (and main tbh) example of bad ABC special effects.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:08 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
There was very good story with Alex Kingston btw, when she felt sexually attracted to killer and he made her admit it. They later tried to do the same in Grey's, but it looked hilarious.
I only watched a few episodes with her when my sis was watching it. That was towards the end of her run, wasn't it ? I like her.

Bringing this in from the TGF thread because I don't want to get too OT since we only have one thread for the whole show

Quote:
There was a really good character Erica Hahn who was her first girlfriend and they got rid of her because... Well, she wasn't your basic lipstick lesbian people were confortable to see on TV.
I heard about that and the "brutal dismissal". I wasn't watching but it pained me because I love Erica Hahn. And there's definitely a "lipstick lesbian" problem on tv these days.

Quote:
That bisexual story in 6 Feet Under was the worst thing ever. It was seen from a mile and was just so... basic. They would be so dragged for this today. Also, cable did care about live ratings before streaming.
I think it was just 6FU trying to be "new" because having a male gay character wasn't new enough anymore.
As for ratings, well not really. Cable doesn't depend on advertising for revenue so they don't care about rating. Not immediately anyway. They like to have good numbers to show off (like HBO releasing news every season that GOT's premiere or finale has been "the most pirated episode of tv" ever ) but they don't use them like networks do to sell commercial spots

Quote:
Let's take Grey's for example. Show looks so cheap, they even started using green screen on soundstage because actors are eating the whole budget.
I have never consistently watched it but I must say that whenever I come across a recent episode, the look went down

I feel so bad every time network tv tries to use CGI
They just don't have the money and the time to do it right. I get that it's cheaper than the alternative, like having a real explosion for example, but damn, it looks bad. They shouldn't do it.

Quote:
Watched them yesterday, so that we were able to watch the new episode tonight. Really glad we waited, because the cliffhanger was quite good
Why oh why do they have to have so many cliffhangers and breaks in one season?

Quote:
I heard Homeland had a very strong episode, can't wait to be more up to date with the show, but knowing how much we like it, we're better off waiting a few years. Then we are able to watch all of the episodes without any breaks
I heard so too (Dana Delany sounded impressed on twitter ) but I'm still not in the mood

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Last edited by Gelfling; 03-06-2017 at 12:31 PM
Old 03-06-2017, 11:52 PM
Extreme Fan

It was actually in 4th or 5th season, when she just started. Ugh, they did her so wrong on ER. They let everyone (who actually was still on the show) from first 4 seasons to leave (and get rid of few including Alex) during 11th season. No wonder ratings collapsed and the show became bad.
Channels like NBC and Fox actually have okay CGI (at least for time of original airing), CBS doesn't have much CGI, but ABC.... Gosh, and they are owned by disney? http://www.wetpaint.com/wp-content/u...my-bad-cgi.png
Old 03-07-2017, 07:06 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERussia (View Post)
OUAT is another (and main tbh) example of bad ABC special effects.
Gotta agree here, but considering it's a magical show with very little budget they are doing quite well. That said, it sucks that when you compare it to Charmed (around 2000)..that there's not much difference to see in CGI. The screen quality is better of course, but CGI? Nop. Doesn't destroy the show for me though. I know it doesn't have a budget like GOT, so they do as well as can be expected.

Quote:
Why oh why do they have to have so many cliffhangers and breaks in one season?
Most shows only really have 2 big breaks per season, so it improved imo. There are occasions where a show goes off the air for 2 weeks, or something, but that doesn't bother me as much.

I'm hard to sattisfy about the subject though. I love how cable shows do it (air all of the episodes in a row), but at the same time the wait time after that season is insane. Just look at GoT. Having the episodes spread out makes it hard to really invest in the story, but I do appreciate the fact that the only big breaks ''only'' last about 2/3 months or so.

It's why I prefer watching shows on dvd/blu-ray once they've aired. You can watch them on your own schedule.

Quote:
I heard about that and the "brutal dismissal". I wasn't watching but it pained me because I love Erica Hahn.
I was glad she left. Didn't like her at all. But not, because she wasn't portrayed as the most typical lesbian on TV. The reason I didn't like her had nothing to do with her sexual preferences actually.
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | Veronica Mars | Charmed | The Crown | Game of Thrones | Killing Eve | Damages | The Good Wife/The Good Fight | His Dark Materials | Homeland | Brothers & Sisters | The Resident | Everwood | Person of Interest | Fringe | Parenthood | Revenge | Big Little Lies| One Chicago | Everwood | Bones | Big Bang Theory | Marvelous Mrs Maisel | The Good Place | & More.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:39 AM
Extreme Fan

Well Charmed was on CW (WB before that) and OUAT is on big 4 channel. And it's not "small" show, it's just not a big hit.
OUAT has more cliffhangers because they have new stories and use different Disney characters for every fall/winter part.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:03 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Well Charmed was on CW (WB before that) and OUAT is on big 4 channel. And it's not "small" show, it's just not a big hit.
OUAT has more cliffhangers because they have new stories and use different Disney characters for every fall/winter part.
No more breaks or cliffhangers than most other shows though Around episode 9/10 there's the mid-season finale and then in may the season finale. And yeah, usually they cover 2 big story arcs per season (like in S4 where 4a covered Frozen and 4b covered Cruella, etc), except for S1 and the current season.

Yes, Charmed was on another network. I just mentioned that it was a shame that CGI didn't really improve much over the years (if you compare Charmed with Once). The improvement is there, but not as much as you'd expect considering all the time that has passed since Charmed was on the air. And I know Once is not a small show, I just said it was no GoT, where the budget is crazy, so you cannot expect that kind of CGI on network TV. That's all I was saying
Old 03-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Extreme Fan

Yep. Thinking of it, first 4 seasons of Charmed were actually good.
Paige abilities >>>> Prue.

Last edited by ERussia; 03-07-2017 at 02:40 PM
Old 03-08-2017, 12:13 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Ugh, they did her so wrong on ER. They let everyone (who actually was still on the show) from first 4 seasons to leave (and get rid of few including Alex) during 11th season
Well when contracts end, actors are free to go. I think most of the ones who left just were hoping to get other parts while they were famous from ER. Didn't work out quite the way they hoped for most

Quote:
Channels like NBC and Fox actually have okay CGI (at least for time of original airing), CBS doesn't have much CGI, but ABC.... Gosh, and they are owned by disney? http://www.wetpaint.com/wp-content/u...my-bad-cgi.png
oh wow that is bad! They are owned by Disney but they have separate production units. Also, Disney doesn't do CGI. They always contract other companies for the Marvel movies. They never really needed CGI for Princess movies

Quote:
I was glad she left. Didn't like her at all. But not, because she wasn't portrayed as the most typical lesbian on TV. The reason I didn't like her had nothing to do with her sexual preferences actually.
That wasn't why she was dismissed though

Quote:
And I know Once is not a small show, I just said it was no GoT, where the budget is crazy, so you cannot expect that kind of CGI on network TV. That's all I was saying
Even The Xfiles had better CGI in later seasons though. And their budget wasnt anywhere near OUAT's.

Quote:
Yep. Thinking of it, first 4 seasons of Charmed were actually good.
Paige abilities >>>> Prue.
Never could watch that show
The cast didn't help for sure but everything was so tacky and predictable!

Old 03-08-2017, 04:09 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Well when contracts end, actors are free to go. I think most of the ones who left just were hoping to get other parts while they were famous from ER. Didn't work out quite the way they hoped for most
Yeeep. I like Edwards and La Salle, but did they really think they can build a good careers outside of show? And JM doing bad movies for decade after she left. She was meant to comeback in s12, but cancelled the very last minute.
Quote:
oh wow that is bad! They are owned by Disney but they have separate production units. Also, Disney doesn't do CGI. They always contract other companies for the Marvel movies. They never really needed CGI for Princess movies
I understand this. But Disney is def. more than just an owner considering how they are pushing Marvel shows and let OUAT use their recent hits in hopes to push their ratings. Shoudn't they be ashamed?
Quote:
Well, by standarts of other magical show first 4 seasons were actually good. Doherty was a very good actress and the one who played Piper too. Milano was the only one who was kinda bad, but still tolerable. And then Doherty left, other 2 became executive producers and everything left down the toilet.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:22 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)

That wasn't why she was dismissed though

Even The Xfiles had better CGI in later seasons though. And their budget wasnt anywhere near OUAT's.

That Grey's Anatomy GIF is the only time that I really cringed while watching it It's the only time I noticed the bad CGI on the show though. Then again, I prefer to be invested in the show, instead of wondering how everything was filmed and how real everything is I mean...the first time I watched that final Kalinda/Alicia scene...didn't even realise they weren't in the same room. Neither did Jos. Paying attention to the story is the most important for us.

Don't know about the budgets every show has. Maybe Once has more expensive actors that take up lots of the budget, no idea. Then again, I'm not too bothered by the CGI Once uses. It's part of their style aswell though.

Charmed is and always will be one of my favorite shows ever. Along with Gilmore Girls, it was the first show I watched ever. I remember buying S8 of Charmed on dvd, because the Dutch networks stopped broadcasting it. Damn, I think I watched all 22 episodes in 2 days I still follow the cast too. No emmy winning material, but I liked what they did with the characters and the chemistry they shared.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:21 AM
Extreme Fan

Sorry, but for me look is super important. I mean... we are watching show, not listening or reading.
You haven't notice this? I've seen it in like 2008 or 2009 for the first time and it's already looked bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFjsHszbFnI
Old 03-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Sorry, but for me look is super important. I mean... we are watching show, not listening or reading.
You haven't notice this? I've seen it in like 2008 or 2009 for the first time and it's already looked bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFjsHszbFnI
I think the looks are quite good (plus I prefer story), but it's okay you think otherwise, like I mentioned before No need to convince me I mean, when watching that scene specifically for the CGI, then yes, I notice it, but normally I just do my best to remain invested in the story. I know CGI happens and I know not all scenes are real, but focussing on which filming techniques are being used just make it harder for me to focus. That's why..when I watch a scène I often don't even see it when CGI is used. First time and the second time I watched the clip you just linked for example. I also know most shows use it at times, so it doesn't bother me. And yes, even with that CGI knowledge I still think the show looks more okay and current than older shows. But we don't have to agree about everything, that's the best thing about a forum. We all have out reasons to watch and we all Love other things, which is awesome!

Last edited by Alwayshappy; 03-09-2017 at 03:01 AM
Old 03-09-2017, 09:56 PM
Elite Fan

Damn I'm a lousy mod Totally forgot to open the new thread!

http://www.fanforum.com/f108/good-wi...bout-63187052/