Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-23-2017, 03:48 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I heard that Crash is the worst best picture Oscar winner ever... This movie has a bad reputation.
I had heard that too, and this, added to the cast (mostly Dillon and Bullock but they're just a part of a big cast) and I avoided the movie for a long time but in the end, I liked it.

Quote:
Downloaded the pilot, about to watch it tonight Loved Desperate, so would be okay if it's like that
well I don't like soap so I hope it's more than that.

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 02-24-2017, 06:55 PM
Extreme Fan

Turned out it's THAT show with Divergent girll... Sorry, won't watch.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:07 PM
Extreme Fan

Anyone watching TV show "Girls"? A lot of talk about last episode.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:55 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERussia (View Post)
Anyone watching TV show "Girls"? A lot of talk about last episode.
Not me. I despise the characters and I don't find it funny at all. Weak Sex and the City copy-cat imo.
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | Veronica Mars | Charmed | The Crown | Game of Thrones | Killing Eve | Damages | The Good Wife/The Good Fight | His Dark Materials | Homeland | Brothers & Sisters | The Resident | Everwood | Person of Interest | Fringe | Parenthood | Revenge | Big Little Lies| One Chicago | Everwood | Bones | Big Bang Theory | Marvelous Mrs Maisel | The Good Place | & More.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:47 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERussia (View Post)
Turned out it's THAT show with Divergent girll... Sorry, won't watch.
I like her actually. I hate the Detergent movies (well not even they are too pathetic for me to hate) but I've seen her on other things and she wasn't bad

Never watched Girls. Well I tried the pilot but it didn't catch my interest. I think I'm not their target

Old 02-26-2017, 11:11 AM
Extreme Fan

I watched few Girls episodes here and there and I can't tolerate main characters, but the story is nice. Last episode received a lot of media attention because of... Penis.
"After Hannah endorses several online accusations about the author — in which young female fans detailed run-ins with Palmer that turned into sexual encounters of questionable consent — Chuck, played by Matthew Rhys (“The Americans”), invites Hannah up to his ostentatious apartment to confront her. Over the course of a heady 30-minute episode, they spar, laugh and connect over Philip Roth. Then he takes out his penis."
That was pretty smart. Never meet your heroes.
And, Girls is by far better written than SATC. No wonder it's much more acclaimed.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:54 PM
Elite Fan

I can't believe it's still controversial. How many times do we see naked women on tv in a week?
I mean... do I want to see that? Nope but controversial? Come on.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:39 PM
Extreme Fan

It wasn't even a real penis, but it wasn't about them showing his penis... But about how messy the whole moment was.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:03 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
I can't believe it's still controversial. How many times do we see naked women on tv in a week?
I mean... do I want to see that? Nope but controversial? Come on.
This. I also don't get why the whole moment was so messy. It just sounds strange. They argue for 30 minutes, only to have him show his penis? What?

And I don't know, but hasn't SATC won A LOT of awards? I watched it and the show was likeable and for the time it was a great show. Girls is just the same show with weaker characters in a totaly different time imo. But that's just how I see it
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | Veronica Mars | Charmed | The Crown | Game of Thrones | Killing Eve | Damages | The Good Wife/The Good Fight | His Dark Materials | Homeland | Brothers & Sisters | The Resident | Everwood | Person of Interest | Fringe | Parenthood | Revenge | Big Little Lies| One Chicago | Everwood | Bones | Big Bang Theory | Marvelous Mrs Maisel | The Good Place | & More.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:28 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
And, Girls is by far better written than SATC. No wonder it's much more acclaimed.
I was never the target of either so I wouldn't know but

Quote:
That was pretty smart. Never meet your heroes.
Almost always true.

Quote:
They argue for 30 minutes, only to have him show his penis? What?
Last resort for guys in an argument?

Quote:
And I don't know, but hasn't SATC won A LOT of awards?
Well not as many as I thought they had. Lots of nominations, mostly for the cast and technical awards, and directing. Very few for writing, which is odd since they won best comedy
I can't believe they gave SJP acting awards but then Seinfeld won and he said himself his acting sucked.

I guess it was also another time. Cable basically had no tv shows and it was new and "edgy". Girls faces a more competitive and critical market.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:24 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
I was never the target of either so I wouldn't know but

Almost always true.

Last resort for guys in an argument?

Well not as many as I thought they had. Lots of nominations, mostly for the cast and technical awards, and directing. Very few for writing, which is odd since they won best comedy
I can't believe they gave SJP acting awards but then Seinfeld won and he said himself his acting sucked.

I guess it was also another time. Cable basically had no tv shows and it was new and "edgy". Girls faces a more competitive and critical market.
Very true last sentence
Old 03-04-2017, 04:58 AM
Extreme Fan

SATC just didn't age well. I understand the impact it has, but it was never good to me.
Let's take ER 4th season (took this show because I'm familiar with it) and first season of SATC that aired at the same time: ER still looks somewhat fresh (even when it was mostly filmed on WB lot) while everything from dresses to camera work of SATC looks very of it's time and dated. It's that "eww, how could we wear/watch/listen this" type of nostalgia. IDK how to explain it.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:16 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
SATC just didn't age well. I understand the impact it has, but it was never good to me.
I liked the first couple of seasons but it got more dramatic and repetitive as time went by so I gave up after s3 I think. I tried again recently but even the first seasons I liked then are indeed feeling dated

Quote:
Let's take ER 4th season (took this show because I'm familiar with it) and first season of SATC that aired at the same time: ER still looks somewhat fresh (even when it was mostly filmed on WB lot) while everything from dresses to camera work of SATC looks very of it's time and dated.
Heh I think your bias might be showing here
ER looks old as ****. My sister was watching episodes with Alex Kingston a few weeks back and I was surprised by how old the direction and sets and storytelling felt.

Even Brit tv seems like it ran out of ideas. The glam 70ies prequel of Prime Suspect with some CW bimbo as the lead might have felt like a good idea to someone but hmmmm

Old 03-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Extreme Fan

Maybe 4th season was a scratch, but early 00's seasons aged very actually good, IMO. First season is very dated, I can admit.
Storytelling depends on the episode. It only went downhill somewhere in season 7 when everyone, including our favourite JM decided to leave just because everyone was doing it. There was very good story with Alex Kingston btw, when she felt sexually attracted to killer and he made her admit it. They later tried to do the same in Grey's, but it looked hilarious. BTW, it all comes in comparison. Let's take Grey's for example. Show looks so cheap, they even started using green screen on soundstage because actors are eating the whole budget. Compared to that, Chicago Hope and even first seasons of House M.D ER aged very well. But like most shows that use a lot of special effects and shows that filmed on WB/Universal studios it never had a chance to be that perfect timeless show.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:45 AM
Supreme Fan

I don't think Grey's looks cheap, or dated at all. I watched E.R. aswell and loved it, but it felt dated as hell, even the later seasons. Many people compare E.R. to Grey's, but personally I never do that. E.R. focussed a lot on the cases, while Grey's focusses more on characters imo. I always prefer to compare Grey's to House M.D., because they both look more of this time. I think we're all bias as hell though