Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-05-2015, 07:49 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
Have you tried Wentworth Kicks? It's a hit on Netflix so no excuse. Also a lot of awesome ladies.
I was doing a TGW rewatch I had not time for anything else, but I will try again!!

"I want a happy life. And I want to control my own fate."
--- Alicia Florrick
Old 10-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Elite Fan

I bet. Six seasons is a long rewatch.

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 10-07-2015, 05:08 AM
Supreme Fan

Watched Downton Abbey 6x03 yesterday. One of the series best episodes imo. So emotional. It always surprises me how Downton grabs the little moments and is able to make them HUGE and emotional. Wow.
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | Veronica Mars | Charmed | The Crown | Game of Thrones | Killing Eve | Damages | The Good Wife/The Good Fight | His Dark Materials | Homeland | Brothers & Sisters | The Resident | Everwood | Person of Interest | Fringe | Parenthood | Revenge | Big Little Lies| One Chicago | Everwood | Bones | Big Bang Theory | Marvelous Mrs Maisel | The Good Place | & More.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Elite Fan

I liked it too. It felt remarkably light and devoid of big drama (which is one of the things that make me crazy about the show).
I also like what they are doing with Edith even though I would have been just fine without her getting a suitor but ok.

I was a bit mad that they spoiled the wedding by making it about Branson coming back though. I don't care about the character, one way or another, but it felt like they were highjacking the moment with something unrelated.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:55 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
I liked it too. It felt remarkably light and devoid of big drama (which is one of the things that make me crazy about the show).
I also like what they are doing with Edith even though I would have been just fine without her getting a suitor but ok.

I was a bit mad that they spoiled the wedding by making it about Branson coming back though. I don't care about the character, one way or another, but it felt like they were highjacking the moment with something unrelated.
To me it made the wedding even more special actually, but yeah, I do see your point
I loved Ediths story aswell
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | Veronica Mars | Charmed | The Crown | Game of Thrones | Killing Eve | Damages | The Good Wife/The Good Fight | His Dark Materials | Homeland | Brothers & Sisters | The Resident | Everwood | Person of Interest | Fringe | Parenthood | Revenge | Big Little Lies| One Chicago | Everwood | Bones | Big Bang Theory | Marvelous Mrs Maisel | The Good Place | & More.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
To me it made the wedding even more special actually, but yeah, I do see your point
It's not that I didn't want him back but it was awkward. He just shows up when they are making a toast and suddenly, the whole family is like turning their back to the married couple (it's their wedding, right?) to talk on and on about and with Tom and I'm like "ahem, look behind you people"

Quote:
I loved Ediths story aswell
Of all the Crawley daughters, she was the least likely to break the mold and become an independent woman and yet there she is, because of circumstances, sure, but still embracing the change. Unwed mother, working woman, female boss in that day and age... pretty cool.

I wonder when they are going to get Mary to find out about Marigold and if she's going to make them feel stupid for not telling her or not.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Master Fan

Sorry again. I was in Canada so computer time was limited. I'm gonna bring back some old discussions, sorry.

Quote:
Plus Bernadette and Debra Monk! Although I must say Gael García Bernal is stealing the show really. He's just perfect for that part.
I agree! I'm still hoping for more character development tho. I think they are slowly getting there. I especially wanna see more from B. Peters because ofc. And yeah, I'm in love with GGB
I haven't read the book yet. Let me know if you do!

Quote:
All the new shows make me want to either laugh or cry hysterically. The trailers I've seen range from bad to mediocre and even the shows that I was curious about look terrible. ABC has a slew of female-led dramas coming and they all feel like rehashes of Scandal
I have so much to watch that I'm not even looking at new shows anymore. Unless they involve talent I like a lot.

Quote:
I thought it was just slow-paced but it's slow because they have nothing to say. They should have done a mini on Cloud Atlas instead of the movie and canned that one.
I believe they could have done way more with the show. It just seems like they aren't even trying to go beyond the surface. There's so so much that could be done with characters relationships and the psychological consequences in each of them. But it's just tired old cliche every single time.

Quote:
S2 took some of the characters way farther than I'd have thought possible on network tv and there was a lot of controversy in the audience about it so it's worth watching
That sounds pretty great! It just arrived at Brazilian Netflix making it much easier for me so I think I'll watch it soon

Quote:
Game of Thrones finally winning in spite of being a fantasy show, in their worst season ever.
IT PISSED ME OFF SO MUCH. Not only for its worst season but every person won except Lena! Uzu is amazing, but Lena had "better" material to work with (*in that one particular ep! And by better I mean gave her more to do in Dramatic fashion). HOW DOES PETER WIN AND LENA DOESN'T??? THIS MAKES NO SENSE TO ME! How does freaking writing wins????? Ugh. I'm sorry for myself that I care about awards shows.
Hey! I like Jon Hamm's performance a lot! I'm glad he finally won it. I'm just sad Amy didn't win an Emmy for Parks. Did JLD really needed a 3745th Emmy?

Quote:
Viola Davis is amazing and I just couldn't believe she actually was the first African American woman to win an Emmy for best lead in a drama
Right? I can believe it, but it's insane nonetheless. I started HTGAWM a couple of days ago (all caught up and obsessing over Annalise/Eve!!!!!!!!!! more on that later) and as I was watching it I realized I never watched a show that focused so much on a black woman. The only one I can think of is Grey's Anatomy and OITNB and I've seen a lot of TV.

So... HTGAWM. I have tons of issues with it, but I don't care cause a) VIOLA!!!!! b) ANNALISE/EVE!!!! I'm shipping it so hard ;; Also I love Famke (not enough to watch that godawful Hemlock Grove tho) so that's a plus. I think my head is just a huge line of "<3!!!!<3!!!!AHHHHHHHH!!!!<33333!!!!!" so I'm sorry I'm not adding anything coherent to this.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:12 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poehler-bear (View Post)

Right? I can believe it, but it's insane nonetheless. I started HTGAWM a couple of days ago (all caught up and obsessing over Annalise/Eve!!!!!!!!!! more on that later) and as I was watching it I realized I never watched a show that focused so much on a black woman. The only one I can think of is Grey's Anatomy and OITNB and I've seen a lot of TV.

So... HTGAWM. I have tons of issues with it, but I don't care cause a) VIOLA!!!!! b) ANNALISE/EVE!!!! I'm shipping it so hard ;; Also I love Famke (not enough to watch that godawful Hemlock Grove tho) so that's a plus. I think my head is just a huge line of "<3!!!!<3!!!!AHHHHHHHH!!!!<33333!!!!!" so I'm sorry I'm not adding anything coherent to this.
Ha, always glad to see more HTGAWM fans Loving the season so far (though we haven't seen episode 3 yet due to sickness). Famke was great to see; I hope she returns!
Old 10-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Sorry again. I was in Canada so computer time was limited. I'm gonna bring back some old discussions, sorry.
Don't worry about it, old discussions are my favorite

Quote:
I agree! I'm still hoping for more character development tho. I think they are slowly getting there. I especially wanna see more from B. Peters because ofc. And yeah, I'm in love with GGB
I agree. I want more characterization in season 2. Bernadette is fabulous no matter what but I want to know more about her.

Quote:
I haven't read the book yet. Let me know if you do!
It's been on my list for months but my reading time is limited these days. My sis read it though and she loved it

Quote:
I have so much to watch that I'm not even looking at new shows anymore. Unless they involve talent I like a lot.
well that shouldn't be a long list. It's all pretty Hollywood even in the casts.

Quote:
I believe they could have done way more with the show. It just seems like they aren't even trying to go beyond the surface.
I knoooow! Coming up with a premise like that and doing what they did with it borders on criminal. It's like they thought "ok if we want to have 3-4 seasons of this, let's stretch it as much as possible"

Quote:
That sounds pretty great! It just arrived at Brazilian Netflix making it much easier for me so I think I'll watch it soon
Lucky you. It's not on Netflix here but then again, what is?
Netflix ****ed themselves up pretty good. They just opened in Portugal too but they don't have House of Card or OITNB because they sold the rights to other people so they shut themselves out of their biggest draws

Quote:
Not only for its worst season but every person won except Lena! Uzu is amazing, but Lena had "better" material to work with
Yeah I agree. I like Uzu and she did a great job in season 2 with Crazy Eyes but Lena's turn was way overdue and she had amazing scenes this season in an otherwise bland season.

Quote:
Ugh. I'm sorry for myself that I care about awards shows.
I don't anymore. They amuse me more than anything now.
Every year is "how low can they go?"

Quote:
Hey! I like Jon Hamm's performance a lot! I'm glad he finally won it.
Well there's no accounting for taste

Quote:
I'm just sad Amy didn't win an Emmy for Parks. Did JLD really needed a 3745th Emmy?
She would have won if her show hadn't been a network show, probably

Quote:
I realized I never watched a show that focused so much on a black woman.
A drama you mean? Then yeah, no.

Quote:
The only one I can think of is Grey's Anatomy
I wouldn't even go there with Grey's. They had minority female characters but they weren't by far the lead character, a whitey white white girl. And really it took the second white white female lead to leave for them to develop the other characters.

Quote:
So... HTGAWM. I have tons of issues with it, but I don't care cause a) VIOLA!!!!! b) ANNALISE/EVE!!!! I'm shipping it so hard
It's the other way around for me. I would say I love Viola and she does so much with so little (she even shines when the script is against her really) and I love Famke but I have too many issues with the show, "characters", clichés etc (Annalise/Eve not being so much an issue in itself but the hype around it being one) to make it a regular watch

Quote:
(not enough to watch that godawful Hemlock Grove tho)
I hear ya! Lili Taylor and Famke weren't enough to make me sit through a whole season of that crap.

Oh and if anyone needs a new comedy, I suggest tuning into Minority Report for a laugh before it gets axed. It's definitely not supposed to be a comedy but wow, it's so bad, it's gotta be hilarious. I haven't seen acting that bad since I was in a high school play.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayshappy (View Post)
Famke was great to see; I hope she returns!
She is! The creator said that in an interview. I just don't know when (following all the spoiler websites now )

Quote:
I agree. I want more characterization in season 2. Bernadette is fabulous no matter what but I want to know more about her.
I saw a spoiler the other day on tumblr, feel free to skip it, kind of a major thing maybe?
Spoiler:

Quote:
My sis read it though and she loved it
I'll add it to my reading list then! After I go through all the bazillion books I've bought and never read (+ all the stuff to read for uni).

Quote:
It's not on Netflix here but then again, what is?
Oh, it took some time for things to start showing up here tho. And we've had it for three years? But hey, Frank Capra just got here!
and the Portugal thing is so ridic, especially considering that original content is more and more what sets them apart.

Quote:
A drama you mean? Then yeah, no.
Yeah. But I also don't think I've watched a comedy? Maybe I'm just thinking of protagonists... I've seen other minorities and I've seen black men, but not black women. Oh there's Dee on BSG, but supporting and she was so mistreated by the writers (I blame it on love triangle tho)

Quote:
They had minority female characters but they weren't by far the lead character, a whitey white white girl. And really it took the second white white female lead to leave for them to develop the other characters.
Oh yeah, ofc. But I'm even searching for supporting characters and I come up almost empty handed.

Quote:
I would say I love Viola and she does so much with so little (she even shines when the script is against her really) and I love Famke but I have too many issues with the show, "characters", clichés etc (Annalise/Eve not being so much an issue in itself but the hype around it being one) to make it a regular watch
What do you mean the hype? The hype outside of the show's world, you mean?
Oh yeah. It bothers me how underdeveloped the characters are, I can't really get into any of them except for Annalise because it's Viola, and Oliver cause . And tbh, S1 was mostly on the background of my post-Canada sadness. I really just payed more attention when Viola had more meaty (even if still poorly written) things to work with and when Famke showed up. But you know, I need a break from all my "prestige" shows so why not some crazy nonsense with a really good actress?

Quote:
I hear ya! Lili Taylor and Famke weren't enough to make me sit through a whole season of that crap.
I still consider it the worst pilot I've seen. I still have nightmares.

Are you following the X-Files news? Did you see the new spoilers about the first ep?
Old 10-13-2015, 09:39 AM
Elite Fan

Started watching Power, is no Rectify but it does have me at the edge of my seat. I am liking it

--- Alicia Florrick
Old 10-13-2015, 08:35 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Started watching Power, is no Rectify but it does have me at the edge of my seat. I am liking it
yeah it's no Rectify for sure but it's still better than Empire. PLUS the leads are hot (what? I'm allowed *some* superficiality )

Quote:
She is! The creator said that in an interview. I just don't know when (following all the spoiler websites now )
those google alerts can be pretty useful

Quote:
Romance usually terrifies me on TV cause it can go extremely horrible... I'm kind of scared but then this show is a bit off in several aspects so I hope it doesn't go wrong.
I'm with you. The instances of characters I liked hooking up (or more) not going terribly wrong are few and far between (btw I'm already on the fence re: that last minute Hayley/Rodrigo thing) so I'm always worried but this could be fun.
And yeah Parks & Recs is the only example that comes to mind right now (successful conversion from flirtation to full-on relationship I mean)
Obviously the Xfiles is not on that list

Quote:
Oh, it took some time for things to start showing up here tho. And we've had it for three years? But hey, Frank Capra just got here!
I can't resist Capra. I know most of it is idealistic and sometimes even sappy but it's so genuine in the intentions and so layered in the characters and scripts that I just can't help myself.
It's like he managed to do every time what Disney has been failing at for dozens of years.

Quote:
Oh there's Dee on BSG, but supporting and she was so mistreated by the writers (I blame it on love triangle tho)
shame what they did with that character.

As for black female characters, I agree, they are few and far between. Actually, ironically, I think there were more before 2000 than now. I'm not talking about the Cosby Show obviously but shows like Christie Love (a cop drama with a black female lead! which admittedly used a lot of stereotyping but still did the character justice, imo) and I'll Fly Away (with Sam Waterston as the lead but the show's most prominent female character was a black woman who got more and more involved with civil rights as the show went on so there was a lot of her)

There are a few black female characters even now like in OITNB or Michonne in TWD and somehow they start out as supporting characters but took a larger place as time went by.

However, what I like about Annelise (and even Olivia Pope even though I despise Scandal) is that they are black women but the show doesn't focus on them being black. They avoid the stereotypes associated with black women in general on tv and in movies. They don't pretend they are white either but they don't make their race the focus of their character and if we have Shonda Rhymes to thank for that, well at least there's that

Quote:
What do you mean the hype? The hype outside of the show's world, you mean?
Oh yeah. I'm not saying they wrote that storyline just for the hype, because obviously they didn't need it, but it comes a little out of nowhere and I'm concerned about the number of lesbian/bi characters on tv who have been abused by men. It feels like such a tired cliché by now so I wish they didn't play into that with shows as popular as this one.

Quote:
I still consider it the worst pilot I've seen. I still have nightmares.
It's gross, it's dumb and it's one-dimensional. Ugh.

Quote:
Are you following the X-Files news? Did you see the new spoilers about the first ep?
I haven't. I started following spoilers and then all I was reading was making me worry more and anticipate less so...
Is it good or bad?

Oh I should also say here I started watching another great Brit show (what is is with the Brits and me lately??) tonight. It's called River and it's really nice. Anything with Stellan Skarsgård is watchable but this one seems to be a nice departure on the classic cop/mystery show the Brits are so fond of.
Co-starring is Nicola Walker who has been so busy this year, I don't even know if she eats lunch or sleeps anymore

Old 10-14-2015, 08:59 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
yeah it's no Rectify for sure but it's still better than Empire.
IT CAN'T EVEN BE COMPARED!!! Power is on another level! I mean Empire is a joke

Quote:
PLUS the leads are hot (what? I'm allowed *some* superficiality )
HOT ****ING DAMN

I am going spoiler free on TXF too

--- Alicia Florrick
Old 10-14-2015, 12:17 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I'm with you. The instances of characters I liked hooking up (or more) not going terribly wrong are few and far between (btw I'm already on the fence re: that last minute Hayley/Rodrigo thing) so I'm always worried but this could be fun.
Yeah, I don't think I'm into the Hayley/Rodrigo thing... I liked their relationship before, making it romantic, meh, it was more original before. But let's see, maybe they can make me happy.
Oh yeah, Parks did relationships pretty great, at least with Ben/Leslie and April/Andy. Some of the others are debatable, and god let's not think of Tom/Ann. But two are still much better than none.
Don't get me started on TXF...

Quote:
I can't resist Capra. I know most of it is idealistic and sometimes even sappy but it's so genuine in the intentions and so layered in the characters and scripts that I just can't help myself.
That's exactly how I feel. I can even stand his over patriotic ideals because he makes me care for the characters and their struggles.

Quote:
Actually, ironically, I think there were more before 2000 than now.
Hm... and we even have more shows that they did before 2000. How about women? Do you think we have more, less or about the same amount of shows with a lead female character? I wonder if the post-Sopranos era, with its obsession with morally ambiguous white guys, affected the statistics. The thing that feels more different nowadays is that if the series has a minority character (or it you doesn't) it gets analysed and then criticized and/or praised constantly. Just look at how racist some TXF episodes were... if it was nowadays I think it wouldn't be able to get away with that.

[quote]However, what I like about Annelise (and even Olivia Pope even though I despise Scandal) is that they are black women but the show doesn't focus on them being black. They avoid the stereotypes associated with black women in general on tv and in movies. They don't pretend they are white either but they don't make their race the focus of their character and if we have Shonda Rhymes to thank for that, well at least there's that [/quote[
Yeah, exactly.

Quote:
Oh yeah. I'm not saying they wrote that storyline just for the hype, because obviously they didn't need it, but it comes a little out of nowhere and I'm concerned about the number of lesbian/bi characters on tv who have been abused by men. It feels like such a tired cliché by now so I wish they didn't play into that with shows as popular as this one.
I didn't think it necessarily came out of nowhere, cause she never actually came out and said "I'm...". It comes out of nowhere if we think within the mindset of our society where heterosexuality is the norm. But yes, that's worrisome. Idk if it makes much difference but I'm kind of glad the revelation about her past came some episodes and a season before Eve showed up.

Quote:
I haven't. I started following spoilers and then all I was reading was making me worry more and anticipate less so...
Is it good or bad?
I should follow your footsteps. It's bad for M/S. Also I'm a bit worried about everybody saying the first ep looks too bright for TXF. I guess we have to wait and judge ourselves. It's close!

Oh. I've never heard of River. My list is so huge rn... don't make me add more stuff!
Old 10-15-2015, 08:06 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
IT CAN'T EVEN BE COMPARED!!! Power is on another level! I mean Empire is a joke
indeed and not a very funny one

Quote:
I am going spoiler free on TXF too
that way I won't anticipate a complete failure

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think I'm into the Hayley/Rodrigo thing... I liked their relationship before, making it romantic, meh, it was more original before. But let's see, maybe they can make me happy.
I know, right? I don't know if it's because of the characters or just because they had this great bro/sis thing going on and it was a little out of nowhere.

Quote:
Some of the others are debatable, and god let's not think of Tom/Ann.
well any relationship that started or ended with Ann was disastrous so maybe it was a choice

Quote:
Don't get me started on TXF...
Hey, you started it
I was just watching an old episode (I always do on 10/13 and 11/21, nostalgic thing) and thinking how much I loved that show before it was even cool and worrying so much about how much further they can destroy it before letting it rest. Let's find out

Quote:
How about women? Do you think we have more, less or about the same amount of shows with a lead female character?
I think maybe there are more dramas with clear female leads. Not one of the leads in a show full of male leads, you know?

Quote:
The thing that feels more different nowadays is that if the series has a minority character (or it you doesn't) it gets analysed and then criticized and/or praised constantly. Just look at how racist some TXF episodes were... if it was nowadays I think it wouldn't be able to get away with that.
I know what you mean. I think the difference is that they were not trying to be racist (and they even skewered some sexist stereotypes) so they got away with it. But I agree it certainly colors perspective (no pun intended) for better or for worse.

Quote:
I didn't think it necessarily came out of nowhere, cause she never actually came out and said "I'm...". It comes out of nowhere if we think within the mindset of our society where heterosexuality is the norm.
You have a point. I was just saying the same thing about Cary in the episode thread last week. He was seen flirting with a guy and I was just commenting that even though we'd seen him only with women... why not? It's not as if he was a homophobe before so there's no reason to believe he couldn't be attracted to a guy.

Quote:
But yes, that's worrisome. Idk if it makes much difference but I'm kind of glad the revelation about her past came some episodes and a season before Eve showed up.
it's not as if they related both at all on the show. I did see a lot of people saying "I don't blame her for getting into women, seeing what an a-hole her husband was" and I don't know what world those people live in but hey, you can't fault the writers for the moronic reactions of some of the audience.

Quote:
Also I'm a bit worried about everybody saying the first ep looks too bright for TXF.
I knooooow!! I saw some of the BTS pictures and I was like "where's the atmosphere??"
The M/S massacre... Well I guess it was bound to happen since Carter is a troll but I hoped they would at least get the Xfiles feel back. If not, what's the point?

Quote:
Oh. I've never heard of River. My list is so huge rn... don't make me add more stuff!
sorry. No hurry, you'll get to it when you need something gloomy and British