Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Elite Fan

The Good Wife TV Room #14 - Lets just give thanks to the TV Gods, for the awesome summer shows this year!!

Welcome to the TV Room
The thread where the Teevee Junkies can get their fix

"Pass the remote" - Alicia

Previous Thread

"I want a happy life. And I want to control my own fate."
--- Alicia Florrick
Old 07-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Elite Fan

TFTNT

I saw Political Animals and well, disappointing. The only scenes that were really watchable were the ones with Weaver and Gugino because they played the hell out of them and the writer made an effort to create a relationship between them, and a kinship, even if they don't want to admit it. The idea of how they represent two different eras in the feminist spectrum is also interesting. The dialog is still cringe-worthy though.
And really... where did they find the two clowns playing her kids??! It would be fine in Gossip Girl but come on! Next to Weaver and Burstyn? :nono;
Hinds is a good actor but I wish someone had told him to dial down the sleaze because although his "Bud" would make a fine Hugh Effner, it's hard to imagine him as president of anything, let alone the most popular Democrat since Kennedy.

It's a little too soapy for me. I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the "credits" of the creator. Dawson Creek, No Ordinary Family, Jack and Bobby, Brothers and Sisters, Everwood... more to borrow from the family teenage drama than from The West Wing or All the King's Men in there. I was just expecting a little more depth.

Quote:
I also loved Neal's whole Big Foot thing. It was so funny.
I loved how he tried to make it a logics thing

Quote:
And of course morons at twop have a problem with the show
its half fangirls, half haters on that site. I call it Trolling Without Pity because seriously 80% of the posters are just there to piss off the remaining 20%

Quote:
still, there's something I hate about it. The Sorkin part I don't like... also "mission to civilize"??
Which part? If I can ask. I don't want to diminish your enjoyment of it by having you rehash what you don't like about it.
And yeah well that sounds just like Will, don't you think? He's decided to lay off the crappy media type so now he's hoping to convert everyone. Also, he's right.

Quote:
I finally met one of the others Bartlet daughters!
I love Ellie! The relationship with Bartlet was brilliantly done.
The recurring theme of father/son and father/daughter relationship in Sorkin's work is truly awesome. So many different situations.
Sadly you won't meet the other one before Sorkin leaves but she should be familiar

Quote:
Am I the only one who liked Sam? Maybe it has sth to do with a fact that I had no idea who Rob Lowe was before TWW I don't like him in P&R though.
I don't hate Sam. I probably would have if he'd remained as important as he was in earlier episodes because he's a little too one-note for me. The naive idealist who never learns from his disappointments and reality checks. But then I guess it's because Sorkin realized very fast there wasn't not much more he could do with the character. I dislike Lowe's acting though, if you can call it that. He's so grossly outmatched by the rest of the cast in most scenes, it's hard to remember he's even there.

Quote:
and why is Rob Lowe still in this show? Sam's storyline could be so great in Somebody's Going to... if it wasn't for Lowe
To think he managed to not even get an Emmy nomination for that one shows how much he was outmatched! Almost everyone on the show was nominated that year except him.

Quote:
Soo, I watched Duane Barry/Ascension and One Breath Today
such brilliant episodes!! And Gillian's boobs in One Breast deserved an Emmy really What did you think of Melissa? Quite a family those Scullys

Quote:
And Trinity's got to be the worst episode so far, but those 3 were brilliant!!
Frankly it is. By far. It's terrible. And it's not because Gillian wasn't there. There are great episodes with no Gillian later. It's just terrible. The fact most of it relied on Duchovny's chemistry with his then gf Reeves (and wow total lack of it there! ) was probably one of the issues but sadly not the only one. The writer never wrote for Xfiles again. There are rumors that his drafts were so disastrous that he was fired just before they started shooting and Morgan and Wong (who wrote Squeeze and Tooms among others) were asked to try and salvage the episode. They didn't have much to work with though and production was so advanced, they couldn't start from scratch. The cross scene was obviously one of their additions.

Quote:
I'm watching, they really made a good use of Gillian's pregnancy. Firewalker now, hello Bradley Whitford!
Right?? Carter is Piper's Godfather but seriously he should thank Gillian everyday for being pregnant so early in the show. It forced them to take risks, to go outside their comfort zone and to push the envelope.
Firewalker is basically Ice with mushrooms (Howard Gordon is a hack!) but Brad is awesome in it.

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Elite Fan

I just saw The Newsroom episode 4 holly smokes AMAZING

Be back tomorrow Fluff to comment on your post!

--- Alicia Florrick
Old 07-18-2012, 03:04 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Hinds is a good actor but I wish someone had told him to dial down the sleaze because although his "Bud" would make a fine Hugh Effner, it's hard to imagine him as president of anything, let alone the most popular Democrat since Kennedy.
I like Hinds but he's totally unconvincing here...

Quote:
It's a little too soapy for me. I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the "credits" of the creator. Dawson Creek, No Ordinary Family, Jack and Bobby, Brothers and Sisters, Everwood... more to borrow from the family teenage drama than from The West Wing or All the King's Men in there. I was just expecting a little more depth.
I'm not disappointed because honestly I didn't expect much depth, not from USAnetwork, all their shows are similar and rather light.

Quote:
its half fangirls, half haters on that site. I call it Trolling Without Pity because seriously 80% of the posters are just there to piss off the remaining 20%
My problem is more with the writing staff...

Quote:
And yeah well that sounds just like Will, don't you think? He's decided to lay off the crappy media type so now he's hoping to convert everyone. Also, he's right.
And also totally clueless when it comes to relations with other people

also this: "I only seem liberal because I believe that hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure and not gay marriage."
Quote:
There are rumors that his drafts were so disastrous that he was fired just before they started shooting and Morgan and Wong (who wrote Squeeze and Tooms among others) were asked to try and salvage the episode. They didn't have much to work with though and production was so advanced, they couldn't start from scratch. The cross scene was obviously one of their additions.
I'm glad it's behind me Yeah, the cross was the only memorable part

Quote:
And Gillian's boobs in One Breast deserved an Emmy really

Quote:
What did you think of Melissa? Quite a family those Scullys
Right? Not someone I could imagine as Scully's sister but I liked her.

Quote:
It forced them to take risks, to go outside their comfort zone and to push the envelope.
Yeah, I guess they wouldn't change so much so early in the show
Quote:
Firewalker is basically Ice with mushrooms
I had this association

I watched Excelsis Dei yesterday, I liked the mood! And when Scully tried to convince Mulder so hard that there's sth really wrong there and he said that she must have spent too much time with him
I'm already in love with M/S, their bond is

Last edited by Aga_darkside; 07-18-2012 at 07:22 AM
Old 07-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)

Quote:
Which part? If I can ask. I don't want to diminish your enjoyment of it by having you rehash what you don't like about it.
Don't worry, but I'm not sure I'm very good explaining it. Well sexism and the whiteness of Sorkin's work can get to me. And I'm also starting to think that using real news was a terrible idea, because he can't change history. It's also much easier seeing the past and seeing the things you should have done differently.

Quote:
Well yes, because Will is Sorkin inserting himself in the narrative, or that's how it seems to me. And I agree with him, but also don't need him preaching to me in every episode.
I know it's only episode four so I'm waiting to see if things change but I need these characters to be better explored.
To me the show is escapist wish-fulfillment, which works for me up to a level. As long as the characters and the plot are strong enough that even it being a fantasy of some sort it still rings true. Am I making sense?
That all being said, I still like the show

Quote:
I love Ellie! The relationship with Bartlet was brilliantly done.
The recurring theme of father/son and father/daughter relationship in Sorkin's work is truly awesome. So many different situations.
Sadly you won't meet the other one before Sorkin leaves but she should be familiar
Awww that's great nooo that's so far away

Quote:
To think he managed to not even get an Emmy nomination for that one shows how much he was outmatched! Almost everyone on the show was nominated that year except him.

Quote:
I'm not disappointed because honestly I didn't expect much depth, not from USAnetwork, all their shows are similar and rather light.
Yes, same. I was still expecting a bit more though.

Quote:
also this: "I only seem liberal because I believe that hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure and not gay marriage."
such a great quote!

Quote:
Firewalker is basically Ice with mushrooms
And without UST

Quote:
only great stuff coming up
Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
The idea of how they represent two different eras in the feminist spectrum is also interesting
I totally agree with you, and the Weaver and Gugino are the absolute best scene on the show.

Quote:
It's a little too soapy for me. I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the "credits" of the creator.
Agree with you again, when I saw the "credits" I was like wow. And they claim that is more of a "family" drama than a political drama. Which would be ok with me, but I don't really care for either of the sons story lines. I basically watch for Elaine and Carla Gugino

Quote:
Serrioussssssssly! I was cringing! I was a bit disappointed about that, I don't maybe cause I was expecting more of a Clinton type. But I did read somewhere he was more of an LBJ type. I don't know, either way disappointed me.

Quote:
Totallllyyyy sounds like Will, his mission to "civilize" was HILARIOUS! and right on the money, can Sorkin send him over to my house and civilize my sister?

Quote:
I finally met one of the others Bartlet daughters!
Nice!!! Ellie is a phenomal episode, if only for that Barlet/Ellie scene in his office Pure Gold! Where are you now, Nanda?

Quote:
Mulder so hard that there's sth really wrong there and he said that she must have spent too much time with him
Gosssh these two kill me

We saw Elegy last night, just wow

--- Alicia Florrick
Old 07-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I like Hinds but he's totally unconvincing here...
I like him too, which is why I was disappointed by his performance. Is he directed to be such a sleaze? If he is, it's a total miss, imo.

Quote:
nd they claim that is more of a "family" drama than a political drama. Which would be ok with me, but I don't really care for either of the sons story lines
Yeah they are too over the top. Sure being a kid in the WH is going to screw with your brain, with all the scrutiny, but TWW did it better and without so much soap.

Quote:
not from USAnetwork, all their shows are similar and rather light.
You're right. I was hoping against all hopes but it was mostly because of the cast and because the format didn't fit the usual USA mold.

Quote:
My problem is more with the writing staff...
They have a huge ego now. It used to be just people watching tv and giving their opinion, now they think they can make or break shows. And the tone spreads to their board

Quote:
And also totally clueless when it comes to relations with other people
I love that about him! He's scoring big with the bimbos though but hey he's learning

Quote:
that's a line that didn't sit well with the conservatives when the trailer was released

Quote:
'm also starting to think that using real news was a terrible idea, because he can't change history. It's also much easier seeing the past and seeing the things you should have done differently.
But that's the whole point: to show, with real examples that have been dealt with by the media machine, how real news, not entertainment disguised as news, could have handled it. And I don't think it has anything to do with giving it a retrospective spin. When you're a news outlet and you start repeating things just because you hear them on other news outlets is completely irresponsible. Integrity is not a question of perspective, imo. And that's a huge problem with the news today: they are using unsubtantiated sources like blogs and... other news as if they were reliable. That's gossip, not news.

Quote:
Well yes, because Will is Sorkin inserting himself in the narrative
wow you don't like him, do you? Why wouldn't his writing be personal? He's been the target of paparazzi before. He has a unique perspective. And he's right. People's lives are not entertainment. And it's a societal problem.

Quote:
And I agree with him, but also don't need him preaching to me in every episode.
That's the first time they talked about gossip, wasn't it? And that's the point of the show. It's not a romantic show. it's about the news media and the people in it, no?

Quote:
Right? Not someone I could imagine as Scully's sister but I liked her.
I guess in rigid (even though loving) families, it's always one or the other. Scully and her brothers went for the rational and organized and Melissa went the other way.

Quote:
I think that relationship came so naturally and was nurtured by the actors and the writers in a way that was organic and that's why it was such a hit even with people who didn't ship them. It works on so many levels and it makes even the lamest MOW episode a pleasure to watch.

Quote:
And without UST
without much of anything really, except Brad Whitford. It's dumbed down.

Quote:
Ellie is a phenomal episode, if only for that Barlet/Ellie scene in his office
and the last one at the movies

Old 07-19-2012, 06:29 AM
Master Fan

HAHAHAHAHAHA Emmy nominations hahahahah! the only good thing about it was the writing for a comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki17 (View Post)
Nice!!! Ellie is a phenomal episode, if only for that Barlet/Ellie scene in his office Pure Gold! Where are you now, Nanda?
The one before 17 People

Quote:
We saw Elegy last night, just wow
Awww! I love this episode!

Quote:
But that's the whole point: to show, with real examples that have been dealt with by the media machine, how real news, not entertainment disguised as news, could have handled it. And I don't think it has anything to do with giving it a retrospective spin.
Yeah, I still don't think it's a good idea. It makes it preachy and I don't like that. He could have done that with fake news, if he found the right way it could have the same impact he is looking for.

Quote:
wow you don't like him, do you? Why wouldn't his writing be personal? He's been the target of paparazzi before. He has a unique perspective. And he's right. People's lives are not entertainment. And it's a societal problem.
No, I really dislike Sorkin. Oh it's not the writing being personal, of course it can be, and it should. But I don't like him. I'm not saying he is wrong, I don't like the way he approaches it.

Quote:
That's the first time they talked about gossip, wasn't it? And that's the point of the show. It's not a romantic show. it's about the news media and the people in it, no?
But so far every episode was filled with preachy moments. This time was about gossip, last episode had the whole sequence of time passing being about that.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Is he directed to be such a sleaze? If he is, it's a total miss, imo.

Quote:
They have a huge ego now.
Oh yeah they're so full of themselves and patronizing.

Quote:
I love that about him!
It's definitely a part of his charm

Quote:
But that's the whole point: to show, with real examples that have been dealt with by the media machine, how real news, not entertainment disguised as news, could have handled it.
I've read somewhere that Sorkin sat down with the journalist and editors an asked them how it would all looked like if they had more freedom.

Quote:
It works on so many levels and it makes even the lamest MOW episode a pleasure to watch.

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHA Emmy nominations hahahahah! the only good thing about it was the writing for a comedy
P&R left out and Community snubbed again...
Old 07-19-2012, 07:34 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aga_darkside (View Post)
P&R left out and Community snubbed again...
I wasn't expecting Community to get anything (so happy Remedial Chaos Theory got in!!) but Parks?? I was so sure it would get series and I thought Nick Offerman could get in. At least it got two writing nods (Amyyyy! ). And no Louie? WTF? TBBT????? I like Veep and all but really? I think Amy will never win an Emmy for Parks and Jane Krakowski
But the drama side was ridiculous too. Downton Abbey second season with a thousand nominations??? The only nominations I agree with are Michelle Dockery and writing for episode 7 (though not over Breaking Bad that didn't get a single writing nod). No Justified love Michael C. Hall, hm what? Vince Gilligan got in for directing, and Anna Gunn was nominated, so that's great. No The Weekend (Homeland) for writing
I'm still trying to understand what people see in Sherlock.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poehler-bear (View Post)
I wasn't expecting Community to get anything (so happy Remedial Chaos Theory got in!!)
Oh yeah!!

Quote:
WTF? TBBT?????
That's ridiculous, I don't watch it anymore but I've heard it's unwatchable now.

Quote:
But the drama side was ridiculous too. Downton Abbey second season with a thousand nominations???
Yeah you know I love DA but seriously? I'm super excited about Michelle (and that Elizabeth wasn't nominated instead...), and a nom for Maggie was a sure thing but the rest, especially in the supporting category is like they love the show so much that had to give them a nom in every category. I'm kinda happy for Hugh Bonneville because I like him a lot, but I never expected he could be nominated and frankly I thought that moving into the drama category was going to kill their chances.

I have to finally watch BB after finishing TXF because I never had time before but I feel it's clouding my judgement when it comes to nominations

Quote:
I'm still trying to understand what people see in Sherlock.
You and me both...

The last TXF episode I watched yesterday was Die Hand die verletzt, it was creepy I should have expected any episode with a Greman title to be creepy

Last edited by Aga_darkside; 07-19-2012 at 08:37 AM
Old 07-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aga_darkside (View Post)
That's ridiculous, I don't watch it anymore but I've heard it's unwatchable now.
Now even the fans are complaining about it, I've only watched a few episodes from season one and I didn't like it. I have no idea what the hell in doing there. But hey, it's better than Glee.

Quote:
Yeah you know I love DA but seriously? I'm super excited about Michelle (and that Elizabeth wasn't nominated instead...), and a nom for Maggie was a sure thing but the rest, especially in the supporting category is like they love the show so much that had to give them a nom in every category.
I'm glad Elizabeth didn't get in because she had nothing to do on s2. I'm okay with Maggie. But the rest?? wth? Especially when are more deserving people around

Quote:
and frankly I thought that moving into the drama category was going to kill their chances.
Nah, Americans are in love with DA. And it's so british!

Quote:
I have to finally watch BB after finishing TXF because I never had time before but I feel it's clouding my judgement when it comes to nominations
You have! It's so good! I think it's the best drama I'm watching rn

Quote:
The last TXF episode I watched yesterday was Die Hand die verletzt, it was creepy I should have expected any episode with a Greman title to be creepy
ohh you're close to End Game and Colony!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
But so far every episode was filled with preachy moments. This time was about gossip, last episode had the whole sequence of time passing being about that.
I get that but I'm just not sure what you mean by "preachy". Criticism is not preaching, it's just saying something is not right. Why is that preachy? When you look around, there are a lot of things that would need to change. Saying so is a responsibility, even more so from the media, I think.

Quote:
It's definitely a part of his charm
I'm a sucker for imperfect characters trying to improve and not being quite there and it's helps a lot with him not being preachy, imo. He's not a superhero, he's not perfect and he's trying to change himself as well as others. He's not pretending to be good and the others lousy. He just sucks at it

When Charlie asks him if he read the NY Post and he says "well no, because my eyes are connected to my brain" (besides being true ) it's also kinda arrogant and Charlie comes back with "I'm not so sure about that" because he screwed up. That's why it works.

Quote:
I've read somewhere that Sorkin sat down with the journalist and editors an asked them how it would all looked like if they had more freedom.
He also spent a lot of time in control rooms with people like Mac. And, much like Don, I'm very certain a lot of them wish they could do the news but that's not what they are asked to do anymore. They're doing reality tv drama.
I'm sure he talked to Laurence O'Donnel too. He's been in the game long enough.

I feel bad for P&R. I haven't watched it yet but I can't really see how Veep and Girls deserve nominations but not P&R because from what I've seen, they're not exactly up there but hey, they're new.

Quote:
Michael C. Hall, hm what?
RIGHT??! The guy has been phoning in his performance since S2! What the hell??! And they snubbed Kelsey Grammer!

I'm not happy about all the DA nominations, not because the show is not good enough but it's a bit overkill. Like the people nominating heard so much about it they had to check all the boxes and S2 wasnt really that good. If it wins over Homeland... yeah whatever.

Quote:
oooooh what a brilliant episode!! Did you recognize Mrs Paddock from TGW?
A bit of trivia: that was supposed to be Glenn Morgan and James Wong's last episode on the show (they were leaving to make their own show but came back later after it tanked) so that last message written on the chalkboard for Mulder and Scully was actually meant for the cast and crew from the writers.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
I get that but I'm just not sure what you mean by "preachy". Criticism is not preaching, it's just saying something is not right. Why is that preachy? When you look around, there are a lot of things that would need to change. Saying so is a responsibility, even more so from the media, I think.
Giving moral advice in a self-righteous way? It's not only criticism, it's the way that criticism is being written. I don't mind criticism.

Quote:
I feel bad for P&R. I haven't watched it yet but I can't really see how Veep and Girls deserve nominations but not P&R because from what I've seen, they're not exactly up there but hey, they're new.
They are snobby shows. The Emmys like that. I'm not saying that as a bad thing, but the Emmys have a tendency to like shows about rich people doing big stuff. That's why Friday Night Lights got almost no recognition, why Breaking Bad will probably never win series. But I don't know why The Big Bang Theory is still there (or why it has so many viewers)
And when are you going to watch Parks? I'm watching both your favorite shows already!

Quote:
RIGHT??! The guy has been phoning in his performance since S2! What the hell??! And they snubbed Kelsey Grammer!
I really like MCH acting but I think he gave up a while ago. And the show is not helping with the writing (okay I didn't watch all of s6 but from s5 and seeing what people wrote...). Oh yeah, that's a snubbing I did not see coming.

Quote:
and S2 wasnt really that good. If it wins over Homeland... yeah whatever.
Even if GoT second season wasn't that good, it was still better than DA's. And Homeland and Breaking Bad are in another league. I still love MM and it had some great episodes even if it wasn't their stronger season. So anything but DA for me.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Giving moral advice in a self-righteous way? It's not only criticism, it's the way that criticism is being written. I don't mind criticism.
I don't know, Nanda. I feel that the character is screwed up enough that he doesn't appear self righteous. And there is such thing as right and wrong. Most of the times, there are degrees in between but when he tells her "you know what's right", he's not being condescending. She DOES know it's morally crappy to do something like that but she does it anyway. I think a lot of things need to be said and being polite and being complacent are not the same thing.

Quote:
The Emmys like that. I'm not saying that as a bad thing, but the Emmys have a tendency to like shows about rich people doing big stuff.
can't wait to see Dallas nominated next year!

Quote:
That's why Friday Night Lights got almost no recognition, why Breaking Bad will probably never win series.
oooh I caught up with FNL btw. Well, I loved S3 but then S4 and S5... I'm not a fan of villains and the American Dream storylines so...

Quote:
But I don't know why The Big Bang Theory is still there (or why it has so many viewers)
I have no idea to be honest. I tried and I never found it very funny. I really had hopes because I'm a nerd and I love nerd jokes but the stereotypes are just too big for me. But then we talked about my dislike of multi-camera comedies, right?

Quote:
And when are you going to watch Parks? I'm watching both your favorite shows already!
I knooooow! lack of time really. Even Newsroom I usually watch on Wednesday or something and I only caught up on FNL because my sister was watching it after dinner so I had it on while doing other things.

Quote:
I really like MCH acting but I think he gave up a while ago.
I thought he was great in S1. Then downhill from there but then that's also the show.

Quote:
Even if GoT second season wasn't that good, it was still better than DA's. And Homeland and Breaking Bad are in another league. I still love MM and it had some great episodes even if it wasn't their stronger season. So anything but DA for me.
I agree. DA is a pleasant show but Emmy material? That's pushing it. Especially with all these nominations (sucks not to be nominated if you're working on DA )
I just don't want MM to win again and BE shouldn't even be nominated.