Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
and you'll have to tell me about your trip to California!
I will, it was amazing! Film geek moment, I saw one of the Gone of the Wind technicolor cameras and Chaplin's Golden Rush camera

Quote:
For some reason Lombard's name is fading away and I don't get it. Maybe it's because she died young and right in the middle of the "Golden era" of the American cinema and she didn't have the time to actually win an Oscar but she did a loooot of movies before she died and not in small unremarkable parts!
I know She was such a marvelous comedian! I haven't seen enough of her dramas yet, but so far thumbs up. tbh I didn't know much about her until a few months ago, I had only seen the very classics (To Be or Not to Be and My Man Godfrey). I also don't get it. I've been trying really hard not to watch a movie with her every day. Maybe it is because she died in the early 40s.
I was thinking about screwball and Lombard these days, and I found it interesting that screwball became a thing the year Lombard became a big star (1934) and it began to fade away in the early 40s. I know it has a lot to do with the Great Depression and WWII but she was also called the screwball queen, so I was just wondering (horrible thing to do under these circumstances) what kind of movies she would have done if she had not died. Anyway...
I found a quote by Stanwyck about Lombard and I screamed a bit inside, favorite people!! “She was so alive, modern, frank, and natural that she stands out like a beacon on a lightship in this odd place called Hollywood.”
I also can't get enough of Garbo's witchcraft

Quote:
A surprisingly high number of comedies (for once ) and amazingly 9 out of the 18 I added to my watchlist are directed or written by women!
Wow! That's great! Thank you for the list! I'll hopefully check them out soon
Old 01-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Film geek moment, I saw one of the Gone of the Wind technicolor cameras and Chaplin's Golden Rush camera
I'm so jealous! I need to make that trip at some point in the not-so-distant future. Looks like you had a blast! It's awesome

Quote:
I also don't get it. I've been trying really hard not to watch a movie with her every day. Maybe it is because she died in the early 40s.
that's my only theory but it seems kinda silly

Quote:
I was thinking about screwball and Lombard these days, and I found it interesting that screwball became a thing the year Lombard became a big star (1934) and it began to fade away in the early 40s.
it takes a certain kind of star to make it work and I think Lombard was definitely of that kind. And honestly in times of crisis, people need to laugh even more than usual so it was just the studios backing out.

Quote:
I know it has a lot to do with the Great Depression and WWII but she was also called the screwball queen, so I was just wondering (horrible thing to do under these circumstances) what kind of movies she would have done if she had not died. Anyway...
I think she definitely could have easily moved on to more dramatic roles. She did a few before and she had what it took to play both comedy and drama, which is not everyone.

Quote:
I found a quote by Stanwyck about Lombard and I screamed a bit inside, favorite people!! “She was so alive, modern, frank, and natural that she stands out like a beacon on a lightship in this odd place called Hollywood.”
so well said! Stanwyck had a way with words (on top of beauty and talent, that almost seems like an excess of gifts but oh well )

Quote:
Wow! That's great! Thank you for the list! I'll hopefully check them out soon
You'll probably have a better chance than me of seeing them in theatres.
I'll have more to add to the list as I read more reviews (I hear a lot of good things about Love is Strange but these are the ones that tickle my interest right off the bat.

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 01-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I'm so jealous! I need to make that trip at some point in the not-so-distant future. Looks like you had a blast! It's awesome
And I had discarded that museum for lack of time! It's very small, it's where DeMille shot the first feature-length film in California. And I visited on the day of the anniversary of the first day of shooting! My point is, when you visit make sure you go there because it's small and not very well known (a few blocks from Hollywood Boulevard). And I got out of there with Katharine Hepburn's autobiography and a beautiful book with Garbo photos
On the other side, the Hollywood Museum was horribly lit and organized. It had great stuff but it was an awful place. They had the signing in book from Grand Hotel premiere though Sorry, I didn't mean to write paragraphs

Quote:
I think she definitely could have easily moved on to more dramatic roles. She did a few before and she had what it took to play both comedy and drama, which is not everyone.

I really liked Made For Each Other (maybe because of two weakness, Lombard and Jimmy Stewart + domestic life), have you seen it? But yeah, towards the end she was making

Quote:
so well said! Stanwyck had a way with words (on top of beauty and talent, that almost seems like an excess of gifts but oh well )
ikr?

Quote:
You'll probably have a better chance than me of seeing them in theatres.
I'll have more to add to the list as I read more reviews (I hear a lot of good things about Love is Strange but these are the ones that tickle my interest right off the bat.
I don't know about that. I'm back home and nothing comes to this damn town.

How I wish that every studio had one of these!
Old 01-24-2014, 03:27 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
It's very small, it's where DeMille shot the first feature-length film in California. And I visited on the day of the anniversary of the first day of shooting!
doubly jealous!

Quote:
My point is, when you visit make sure you go there because it's small and not very well known (a few blocks from Hollywood Boulevard). And I got out of there with Katharine Hepburn's autobiography and a beautiful book with Garbo photos
Aaaaaargh! I have been looking for that book in English for ages!
Finally saw Philadelphia Story btw

Quote:
On the other side, the Hollywood Museum was horribly lit and organized. It had great stuff but it was an awful place. They had the signing in book from Grand Hotel premiere though Sorry, I didn't mean to write paragraphs
please! Having been there is awesome and well, experiencing it second hand from someone who had a blast there is the next best thing

Quote:
I really liked Made For Each Other (maybe because of two weakness, Lombard and Jimmy Stewart + domestic life), have you seen it?
not yet but Lombard and Stewart... you're making me drool!
Quote:
I don't know about that. I'm back home and nothing comes to this damn town.
oh damn! I thought you were going back to Canada! Well yeah then you're even more ****ed than me

Quote:
How I wish that every studio had one of these!
Holy bloopers!!!
awesome!!! (seeing Mr Cool Cucumber Claude Rains get so upset is just priceless ) and wow Carole Lombard is beautiful in this! (and Bette Davis saying Son of a Bitch oh boy!)

Last edited by Gelfling; 01-24-2014 at 03:52 AM
Old 01-24-2014, 04:35 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Wait, you hadn't seen it yet???

Quote:
not yet but Lombard and Stewart... you're making me drool!
I wouldn't picture them working well together, especially in a drama, but they were so adorable as a couple! The plot could be better, but I really enjoyed them.

Quote:
awesome!!! (seeing Mr Cool Cucumber Claude Rains get so upset is just priceless ) and wow Carole Lombard is beautiful in this! (and Bette Davis saying Son of a Bitch oh boy!)
yes!

This year I'm trying to watch all Oscar nominees for Best Picture, Animation, Foreign Language, Actor and Actress. It's maybe too ambitious of my part but at least I've been watching some movies I enjoy. Ernest et Célestine was visually striking. I don't watch a lot of animation outside the really mainstream, so it was a delight to watch something different.
I really really enjoy La grande bellezza. Really well directed and acted. Parties never looked so tempting in a movie! And I don't even like parties. Has anyone seen any besides the Best Picture ones?

ETA:
AHHHHHHHHHHHH I didn't know these existed!

Last edited by poehler-bear; 01-25-2014 at 04:24 PM
Old 01-25-2014, 07:04 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Wait, you hadn't seen it yet???
no. I'm ashamed really but I think I was confusing it with something else and thought I had seen it.

Quote:
I wouldn't picture them working well together, especially in a drama, but they were so adorable as a couple! The plot could be better, but I really enjoyed them.
Well, even when the plot were flawed, at least they were telling stories back then. Now story-telling and characters seem to be superfluous in most movies.

Quote:
This year I'm trying to watch all Oscar nominees for Best Picture, Animation, Foreign Language, Actor and Actress. It's maybe too ambitious of my part but at least I've been watching some movies I enjoy.
and it's never too ambitious. Unless you're trying to see them all before the Oscars. Then yeah you're nuts

Quote:
Ernest et Célestine was visually striking. I don't watch a lot of animation outside the really mainstream, so it was a delight to watch something different.
I liked Chico & Rita a lot so I'm looking forward to this one.

Quote:
I really really enjoy La grande bellezza. Really well directed and acted. Parties never looked so tempting in a movie! And I don't even like parties.
i don't either.

Quote:
Has anyone seen any besides the Best Picture ones?
I haven't even seen all the Best Picture ones yet? Not that I'm really excited about them or anything. I plan on doing like you but I'll probably watch the shorts and documentaries too. Not trying to be competitive or anything but I love shorts and documentaries. And I've also seen the very sadly snubbed Inside Llewyn Davis so I guess I'm also seeing the... cinematography nominees?

The Foreign nominees look good to me, especially Omar and Jagten (Mads Mikkelsen FTW!) and I'm kinda glad the Blue is the Warmest Color wasn't nominated because seriously...

Quote:
AHHHHHHHHHHHH I didn't know these existed!
How do you find those things??? How does anyone???

Old 01-26-2014, 07:26 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
no. I'm ashamed really but I think I was confusing it with something else and thought I had seen it.
Isn't it kind of great though? Finding out you hadn't seen such a great movie? How I wish I could watch some movies for the first time again!

Quote:
and it's never too ambitious. Unless you're trying to see them all before the Oscars. Then yeah you're nuts

The only thing on my way is the availability of these movies :/

Quote:
I haven't even seen all the Best Picture ones yet? Not that I'm really excited about them or anything. I plan on doing like you but I'll probably watch the shorts and documentaries too. Not trying to be competitive or anything but I love shorts and documentaries. And I've also seen the very sadly snubbed Inside Llewyn Davis so I guess I'm also seeing the... cinematography nominees?
Oh cinematography! That sounds like a good one, even if accidental. I should definitely do shorts. I completely forgot

Quote:
How do you find those things??? How does anyone???
I know! I thought they threw all these things out. I mean, they used to (okay before this but not long before it) to recycle film to make shoes after they screened them so it's amazing that somehow bloopers lived on. I think just Warner's though. I found a video on youtube of Ginger Rogers, Carole Lombard, Cecil B. Demille and some other people wishing a merry Christmas to the viewers and the uploader said he or she transferred it from super 8, imagine!
Old 01-26-2014, 02:38 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
It could have been sordid or pathetic or manipulative but it was neither of those things.

Quote:
It was actually the very first 'old' movie I ever saw

Quote:
The Foreign nominees look good to me, especially Omar and Jagten (Mads Mikkelsen FTW!) and I'm kinda glad the Blue is the Warmest Color wasn't nominated because seriously...
Jagten is amazing But I guess La Grande Belezza is going to win now after the Globes, I need to watch it.

I watched American Hustle and Her. American Hustle has a great cast and acting but it really lacks in the storytelling department, I felt rather bored at times

Her was great. At last something original And I can't believe that Joaquin Phoenix was snubbed, that guy is so talented!

Also, Fluff, we watched The Phantom of the Opera yesterday and it was exactly as you said, what a piece of crap! It is actually hilarious how The Phantom in the movie is the exact opposite of what he's supposed to be! Not a disfigured and terrifying genius who seduces with his beautiful voice, nah, he's just a pretty boy who can't sing. Uhm, what? And it's not even like he's the biggest flaw of the movie, it was all in all a mess.

Last edited by Aga_darkside; 01-26-2014 at 02:44 PM
Old 01-26-2014, 02:48 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aga_darkside (View Post)
Jagten is amazing But I guess La Grande Belezza is going to win now after the Globes, I need to watch it.
I just watched Jagten and you're right, such a powerful movie! Thankfully I don't have to decide between the two. They both deeply affected me in completely different ways, so I would be happy with either of them winning.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Isn't it kind of great though? Finding out you hadn't seen such a great movie? How I wish I could watch some movies for the first time again!
It's totally awesome! Especially since I sometimes feel I'm running out!

Quote:
The only thing on my way is the availability of these movies :/
Right? And I'd be more than happy to pay for it! But nobody is offering!

Quote:
I should definitely do shorts. I completely forgot
They're often easier to find and well, I love shorts but it's hard to sort through the many many many shorts out there because 80% are pretty bad so it's always nice to get pointed to the "best" this year.

Quote:
I found a video on youtube of Ginger Rogers, Carole Lombard, Cecil B. Demille and some other people wishing a merry Christmas to the viewers and the uploader said he or she transferred it from super 8, imagine!
and really I'm just amazed that people are willing to share when I'm sure they could be making money off ebay selling them.

Quote:
I watched American Hustle and Her. American Hustle has a great cast and acting but it really lacks in the storytelling department, I felt rather bored at times
The "scam" part was too predictable for me but I enjoyed the character development.

Quote:
And I can't believe that Joaquin Phoenix was snubbed, that guy is so talented!
I'm kinda surprised he was especially with DiCaprio in the running.

Quote:
The Phantom in the movie is the exact opposite of what he's supposed to be! Not a disfigured and terrifying genius who seduces with his beautiful voice, nah, he's just a pretty boy who can't sing. Uhm, what?
right?? it's like a parody!

Old 01-27-2014, 07:25 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Right? And I'd be more than happy to pay for it! But nobody is offering!
Exactly. They are showing Blue Jasmine now in my city. It's been what? A month since it came out on blu-ray in the US? And now it gets here. I had given up on it.

Today I realized that Buster Keaton might be my favorite silent comedian. Though I haven't seen a silent Chaplin in a while.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
They are showing Blue Jasmine now in my city. It's been what? A month since it came out on blu-ray in the US? And now it gets here. I had given up on it.
Well it took a while to get here and it stayed like two weeks in theaters! But yeah you are worse off for sure

Quote:
Today I realized that Buster Keaton might be my favorite silent comedian. Though I haven't seen a silent Chaplin in a while.
you too? We were having that discussion with Joana a while back. She's in the Keaton camp too. I like them both for different reasons I think.
What made you come to that realization?

Old 01-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
you too? We were having that discussion with Joana a while back. She's in the Keaton camp too. I like them both for different reasons I think.
What made you come to that realization?
really?
I've been slowly falling in love with silent films. Mostly what I have seen lately has been either a Keaton film or one with Garbo. I was watching Seven Chances yesterday and having so much fun with him! Maybe it's just because it took me so long to start watching his films and it's the novelty now.

I watched Pather Panchali today, has anyone seen it? I highly recommend it!
And if you're into Ginger Rogers you should watch Roxie Hart because she was great in it. Chicago would have been a better movie if they had built a time machine to replace Renee Zellweger with Ginger

ETA:
GUYS
look at how many awesome women are here

Last edited by poehler-bear; 01-30-2014 at 05:18 PM
Old 01-31-2014, 07:34 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
really?

Quote:
I've been slowly falling in love with silent films. Mostly what I have seen lately has been either a Keaton film or one with Garbo
I think Garbo is the one who kept much of her aura of mystery intact after going the talkies.

Quote:
I was watching Seven Chances yesterday and having so much fun with him! Maybe it's just because it took me so long to start watching his films and it's the novelty now.
nah he's pretty good but I agree he's vastly underrated and doesn't get as much "exposure" as Chaplin does. And he was such an outstanding director as well! So much of what he created is still in use today!

Quote:
I watched Pather Panchali today, has anyone seen it? I highly recommend it!
Added to my neverending watchlist

Quote:
And if you're into Ginger Rogers you should watch Roxie Hart because she was great in it.
Now, that one, I've seen!! And it's a part that is so different from the ones she's known for! I think a lot of people would be surprised.

Quote:
Chicago would have been a better movie if they had built a time machine to replace Renee Zellweger with Ginger
well I'm in the group that thinks that the movie would have been better if they had replaced Zellweger with a well trained cat or a potted plant so I'm not going to be objective on that but I can say that Ginger did a wonderful job in the part, even though the format was ofc different.

Quote:
ETA:
GUYS
look at how many awesome women are here
Seconded! what is that? where?? when??? why????
I mean just getting Dietrich, Crawford, Stanwyck and Bergman in the same picture must have been a pretty rare feat already but when you add Russell and Irene Dunne! Is that Loretta Young in the pic?

Speaking of which, that picture of Loretta Young on imdb made me spill my water am I crazy or does she look just like Allison Janney in that picture???

I mean....

Old 02-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I think Garbo is the one who kept much of her aura of mystery intact after going the talkies.
~
Yes! Always go back to the witchcraft

Quote:
Seconded! what is that? where?? when??? why????
I mean just getting Dietrich, Crawford, Stanwyck and Bergman in the same picture must have been a pretty rare feat already but when you add Russell and Irene Dunne! Is that Loretta Young in the pic?
Yes, it is her! I know it's at the Hollywood Bowl in the 40s. Maybe at this event.

Quote:
Speaking of which, that picture of Loretta Young on imdb made me spill my water am I crazy or does she look just like Allison Janney in that picture???
Yesss! I've seen that photo before and I knew it reminded me of someone! Crazy but awesome

Because I've spent the last few weeks crying about dead actors, I've been finding a lot of cool (often irrelevant stuff). I stumbled across this this. Pretty cool that the top three moneymakers were women (I had no idea Mae West was making that much money in 1938).

On the matter of awesome screen ladies, the other day I found these two unfortunately still relevant quotes and I thought I'd share (it's a bit about the movie business so I think it counts?)
First one by Ginger: “You bring out a lot of your own thoughts and attitudes when acting. I think a great deal of it has to do with the inner you. You know, there’s nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women. There are a lot of strong women you do not see who are guiding, helping, mothering strong men. They want to remain unseen. It`s kind of nice to be able to play a strong woman who is seen.”
and one by Carole: "A woman has just as much right in this world as a man and can get along in it just as well if she puts her mind to it. Take business-that’s supposed to be a man’s province. Yet I can name you the most outstanding success in the business life of the movies and that person is a woman: Mary Pickford. You can’t match her. She’s supreme in every department. As a matter of fact, women have an advantage in business. Men are so secure in their belief that they are supreme in business that they are often caught napping by alert women. Man thinks he’s dealing with an inferior brain when it comes to woman, and that makes him a sucker. Furthermore, women have a highly developed sense of intuition that’s just as valuable as hardheaded logic."