Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGC (View Post)
Right? The same happened to me! Literature here is focused on Latin American writers. Now in private school I believe the kids have a broader scope.
Well, I went to a private school and my Literature classes were mostly focused on Latin American writers like Borges, García Marquez, Bioy Casares, Cortazar, "El Martín Fierro", etc. But I have also read some classics like Cervantes, Unamuno, Anderson Imbert, Saki, Oscar Wilde, Shakespeare, Jane Austen, Mary Shelley, RL Stevenson, Jack London, George Orwell, Franz Kafka, Arthur Conan Doyle, Allan Poe, Ray Bradbury, etc. Loved them all I love reading so much. My mates thought it was weird And my Literature teacher gave me a book when I finished high school saying she was going to miss me I love her so much, she is great We have something, you know, a connection, it's weird And I miss my Literature classes SO much. Everything I do these days at college is numbers. I miss my books

Eugenia | tumblr ♔| twitter
Old 06-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Femina (View Post)
From one of my favourite Portuguese Authors, Eça de Queiróz
I have to read more of his work! I loved Os Maias!

Quote:
You lucky girl! I used to love my literature classes, but I wish I had done more reading that I did! Plus it was mainly Portuguese literature, which I love, but very little on foreign authors! Well, never too late!
Same, except my literature classes were terrible, my teacher knew a lot but he was a terrible teacher and it was same teacher for 7 years :/ but yeah, we mostly only read Brazilian literature. The only three important foreign books I remember reading were Wuthering Heights, The Taming of the Shrew and an adaption for kids of Iliad.

I have one chapter of A Feast of Crows left and I hate everything. Why did I ever start these books? Everything hurts all the freaking time
Old 06-06-2012, 05:46 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Right? The same happened to me! Literature here is focused on Latin American writers. Now in private school I believe the kids have a broader scope.
Imo, is more about the teacher than the school. No matter what program the school has, if you don't have a good and proper teacher, you will always lose the best of literature.

Quote:
I have to read more of his work! I loved Os Maias!
Do you know this website? Fundação Eça de Queiroz It's really, really good!

Also, have you seen the movie O Mistério da Estrada de Sintra?

Old 06-06-2012, 05:49 AM
Dedicated Fan

I tried reading Os Lusíadas, by Camoes (I believe I still have a copy of it)....but damn, that's hard!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:14 PM
LGC
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Imo, is more about the teacher than the school. No matter what program the school has, if you don't have a good and proper teacher, you will always lose the best of literature.
True! Did you have Latin American Literature at school? There are some interesting writers here.

Of course there is always time to read what we want, but the discussions or analysis we had in High School were fun but none of them were about European writers' work

Only the good ones leave early, I will miss you Caloi
Old 06-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Dedicated Fan

Hey LGC...except for some classical works such as Madame Bovary (which I loved!)... but yeah, you gotta point. We concentrate way too much in local authors and foreign ones don't get much of a chance.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:45 PM
LGC
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylana (View Post)
Hey LGC...except for some classical works such as Madame Bovary (which I loved!)... but yeah, you gotta point. We concentrate way too much in local authors and foreign ones don't get much of a chance.
It could be because when working with translations you lose the essence of the work and it was impossible to read pieces in other languages than Spanish, is the only logical reason I find

Only the good ones leave early, I will miss you Caloi
Old 06-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Do you know this website? Fundação Eça de Queiroz It's really, really good!
I didn't, will check it out

I haven't seen that movie. Is it good?

Quote:
I tried reading Os Lusíadas, by Camoes (I believe I still have a copy of it)....but damn, that's hard!
I've only read a few parts of it. It's on my neverending list

Quote:
It could be because when working with translations you lose the essence of the work and it was impossible to read pieces in other languages than Spanish, is the only logical reason I find
I think it's because, if you don't make your own children read your literature who will? It's about keeping your country's culture alive. Just look at movies, nobody takes care of that and at least here hardly anyone watches national cinema, they go to the movies to watch Hollywood product
Old 06-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you will find it easier now! But ofc there some parts more interesting than the others, like the presence of the gods, the death of Ines, some of the battles and the tempest.

Quote:
True! Did you have Latin American Literature at school? There are some interesting writers here.
I think so, Gabriel Garcia Marques, Pablo Neruda, Carlos Drummond de Andrade, Jorge Amado. That's what I can remember, not not whole books, just bits and pieces...

Quote:
I haven't seen that movie. Is it good?
The actor who plays Eça, gives a good impression on how I had imagine Eça would have been... I dont usually watch many portuguese movies, but I watched this one and I liked it!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Addicted Fan

I'm going to post a small part of a piece, by a Portuguese author Miguel Esteves Cardoso. Most of you won't understand, but some will.

He's not from my city, Porto, and his not from the North of Portugal, but he manage to put into words, the different way the blood runs through our veins, here in Porto, here in the North of Portugal. This small piece talks about the women of the North!

"As raparigas do Norte têm belezas perigosas, olhos verdes-impossíveis, daqueles em que os versos, desde o dia em que nascem, se põem a escrever-se sozinhos.
Têm o ar de quem pertence a si própria. Andam de mãos nas ancas. Olham de frente. Pensam em tudo e dizem tudo o que pensam. Confiam, mas não dão confiança. Olho para as raparigas do meu país e acho-as bonitas e honradas, graciosas sem estarem para brincadeiras, bonitas sem serem belas, erguidas pelo nariz, seguras pelo queixo, aprumadas, mas sem vaidade. Acho-as verdadeiras. Acredito nelas. Gosto da vergonha delas, da maneira como coram quando se lhes fala e da maneira como podem puxar de um estalo ou de uma panela, quando se lhes falta ao respeito. Gosto das pequeninas, com o cabelo puxado atrás das orelhas, e das velhas, de carrapito perfeito, que têm os olhos endurecidos de quem passou a vida a cuidar dos outros. Gosto dos brincos, dos sapatos, das saias. Gosto das burguesas, vestidas à maneira, de braço enlaçado nos homens. Fazem-me todas medo, na maneira calada como conduzem as cerimónias e os maridos, mas gosto delas.

São mulheres que possuem; são mulheres que pertencem. As mulheres do Norte deveriam mandar neste país. Têm o ar de que sabem o que estão a fazer."
Old 06-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Elite Fan

Ooooooh Portuguese again! (I'm feeling like Lily when the Spanish speakers were ruling the board )
I love it! He writes beautifully. And this:
Quote:
As mulheres do Norte deveriam mandar neste país. Têm o ar de que sabem o que estão a fazer.
well, I don't know many but I'd say that's about right

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 06-22-2012, 07:42 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
Ooooooh Portuguese again! (I'm feeling like Lily when the Spanish speakers were ruling the board )
I'm glad you like it! And I'm impressed that you manage to understand it! You definitely rule!

Quote:
well, I don't know many but I'd say that's about right
And I'd say ! Most of the times, anyway!

Poet of the day: Bocage

Self-portrait
"Thin, blue eyes, tanned face,
His fair share of feet, middling height,
Sad face and figure,
High nose in the middle, and not small;

Incapable of staying in just one place,
Quicker to anger than tenderness;
Drinking in his pale hands, out of a dark cup,
From hellish enthusiasms a lethal poison;

Burning incense to a thousand divinities
(I mean, a thousand girls) in a single moment,
Loving the priests only at the altar,

This is Bocage, in whom some talent shines;
He himself wrote these truths,
On a day when he was bored."
Old 06-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I'm glad you like it! And I'm impressed that you manage to understand it! You definitely rule!
Between the French and the Italian I speak and the latin I studied (plus the Spanish I read and the Portuguese I heard when I was spending time with my Grandpa), I'm doing fine reading it. Now I need to work on my ear a bit.

I loved the rhythm and the sounds he uses. And I loved the other text you sent me.

Quote:
Self-portrait
I like that! I don't think I've seen/read self portraits before in written art forms.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
Now I need to work on my ear a bit.
Oh, with all that, I have no doubt that your ears are fitted with great skills!

Quote:
I like that! I don't think I've seen/read self portraits before in written art forms.
Neither have I! But he was a master with the words, especially the naughty ones!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Oh, with all that, I have no doubt that your ears are fitted with great skills!
you think my ears have super-powers?
Quote:
Neither have I! But he was a master with the words, especially the naughty ones!
ooooh interesting! Now I need to find out more.

I want to bring a little theatre to the thread if anyone is interested. What would you be most interested in? Plays, musicals, interviews? Anything with our TGW alumni maybe or some classics?