Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-04-2014, 10:53 AM
Elite Fan

The Good Wife 5.20 Episode Discussion Thread - The Deep Web (05/04/14)

Episode 5.20 - The Deep Web

WRITTEN BY: Luke Schelhaas and Erica Shelton Kodish
DIRECTED BY: Brooke Kenedy
AIRDATE: 05/04/2014

Summary

When Alicia has a chance encounter with a charming entrepreneur during jury duty, she begins to consider options outside her marriage and seeks the advice of her mother. Meanwhile, Diane’s friends come to her for legal advice when their son is accused of selling drugs on the Internet

Cast List and Stills

"I want a happy life. And I want to control my own fate."
--- Alicia Florrick
Old 05-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Elite Fan

thanks Kicks

I like how tv writers are finally discovering about the Darknet
That's like the 4th time I've heard about it on a tv show in 3 months and I really don't watch that much tv. Welcome to the... 20th century television people

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 05-04-2014, 10:32 PM
Part-Time Fan

The episode was alright.

- I feel pleased everytime Finn is on camera. Anyone else? I really like this character.
- "He already made you a saint."
- Did the battery engineer wear eyeliner or something? It just looked wrong. Bad casting.
- Diane's case was a bit of a bore, but at least things are moving forward for the last two episodes of the season.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
"He already made you a saint."
I really like Finn and I'm enjoying his storyline but he and Alicia are so close that he is talking about the way she is clearly not a saint? I loked the "joke" but I don't know if makes sense since they practically met each other.

Carissa
@carissinha

Icon by: Zalax
Old 05-05-2014, 02:13 AM
New Fan

When the Nestor guy said "I don't have friends, I work a lot and I'm private" it felt like a reference to Kalinda. I don't know whether it was supposed to or i'm just so keen on the idea of her and Alicia being friends again my mind jumps straight to those assumptions!

I liked this episode a lot actually in terms of it being a character episode for Alicia, an interesting case scenario at LG, Kalinda being awesome doing what she does best and lots of Eli.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:45 AM
Absolute Fan

I loved this episode. I was constantly confused as to what to think!

He is dying and he is trying to screw you

I just loved it
Old 05-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Elite Fan

I felt the episode was good, nothing out of this world. But anytime you put Alicia and Vero in a room together, I get really happy

Alicia is a at crossroads in her life, this is her chance to really make a different choice or actively get back in the game. She is still spiraling out of control and is heartbreaking but I am intrigued to see what she does from here.

I actually liked Finn this episode, it might have something to do with the fact he had a scene with Kalinda, making him less boring

Two more episodes left, is almost hard to believe.

"I want a happy life. And I want to control my own fate."
--- Alicia Florrick
Old 05-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I feel pleased everytime Finn is on camera. Anyone else? I really like this character.
Yes, Finn is definitely growing on me. I like his scenes with everyone, not just the ones with Alicia. His scenes with Diane, Kalinda and Eli were all very refreshing.

Quote:
Did the battery engineer wear eyeliner or something? It just looked wrong. Bad casting.
That's Nestor Carbonell's natural eyelashes color. Apparently he has had to deal with it all his life. His lashes are so dark that casting directors and ad management people kept telling him not to wear so much eyeliner. The makeup people on other shows he's worked on had to put base on his lashes to lighten them sometimes.

Quote:
When the Nestor guy said "I don't have friends, I work a lot and I'm private" it felt like a reference to Kalinda. I don't know whether it was supposed to or i'm just so keen on the idea of her and Alicia being friends again my mind jumps straight to those assumptions!
Nah. You're just too keen on the idea.

Quote:
I actually liked Finn this episode, it might have something to do with the fact he had a scene with Kalinda, making him less boring
I never found Finn boring. But his scene with Kalinda at the crime scene was great. It was very subtle but I think they have good chemistry.

The pacing of this episode as a whole was a bit slow. It felt like they're still trying to figure out all the new dynamics.

Does it make me a bad person if I was glad Canning's dying? He said he had 12 months so he could still be back next season. But this dying thing makes his storyline a bit more interesting.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Part-Time Fan

This ep didn't make an impression. I was bored. I think Finn was at his most likeable and well integrated; I just resent that he has been chosen as the "male lead" over someone like Cary who after 5 seasons, I still don't feel like I know. Kalinda had lines! None of which had anything to do with herself so I guess, I shouldn't hold my breath for her to get a storyline. Unless I count jumping in and out of bed with random plot devices. Diane was her typical awesome self. Emphasis on typical. I don't get this whole Will influence thing? I mean, they're rewriting Diane's history like she was a soft, wilting flower before Will died that he needed to protect. That. is. bunk. She was always a badass. Sadly, with her case, I saw that the cerebral palsy kid was the creator of the website from 5 miles away which contributed to my boredom.

Also, did anyone register that the editing was bad? The dubbing was obvious during the end of that perches/purchase scene. The cut to Kalinda entering Diane's office after Diane told her client that she must remove herself from the case was very jerky. Overall
Old 05-05-2014, 11:40 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I don't get this whole Will influence thing? I mean, they're rewriting Diane's history like she was a soft, wilting flower before Will died that he needed to protect. That. is. bunk. She was always a badass.

Diane has always been both. I see nothing wrong with being both a soft, wilting flower and a badass. And I thought she was both in this episode.

Did Stockard Channing have surgery?
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR76 (View Post)
I don't think so. Though I think she had a lot less makeup on this episode, that was noticeable to me. I actually like it better with less makeup, but maybe people are not used to it.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR76 (View Post)
Diane has always been both. I see nothing wrong with being both a soft, wilting flower and a badass. And I thought she was both in this episode.
I think Diane has always possessed a strong moral center and empathathy which I adore. But I don't think it's possible to dually be a wilting flower and a badass. And she certainly is a badass as well. Anyway, I appreciate the Will mention, I just don't like the denigration of Diane's character in order to do it.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Dedicated Fan

I thought the episode was decent. The case was a little boring, but at least Kalinda had something to do and Finn got interaction with other characters.

I LOVED seeing Eli back in campaign manager mode again. It's definitely where he thrives. Hope to continue to see him work with Finn because Finn is a lot like Alicia was with Eli I think, not really giving a damn about what he "should" or "shouldn't" do, he's just going to do what he has to do. And if that means bailing on an interview or meeting for a client or whatever, then so be it. Then Eli goes nuts and hilarity ensues.

Did anyone else feel like Cary might be up to something? Not letting Alicia enter the office? Or is he just genuinely being nice because... can anyone recall him ever doing something nice for someone else? And speaking of Cary, he needs more screen time. *sigh*
Old 05-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Dedicated Fan

Just finished watching the episode and it was nice. Better than the previous one, IMHO.

Yes, I thought Cary was up to something. Maybe he is... Alicia had taken sick days already and now he gives her a day off? Too good to be true? Or are we too paranoid?

I really enjoyed when she said, "who am I being faithful to?". I mean no disrespect, but Alicia does't seem to be able to make up her mind.
We endured two seasons where she was supposedly trying to forgive her unfaithful spouse. Then she gets mad and finally does what she wants...for a while. And then another season and a half with the unresolved triangle situation. So...after about 5 years you'd think the lady would have her **** figured out, but no. Granted, by no means this easy, but come on! ... Does the "education of Alicia Florrick" has to always be about a man? I really like the character and I don't have a strong ship preference so it's kind of annoying to see how she's this great lawyer who kicks ass but can't do certain things.
...Well...perhaps that's what makes her real...what do I know!?

Sorry for the rant.

Kalinda's arc seems to be to stand by Diane. Well, Diane certainly needs Kalinda now. But come on...Diane channeling Will? #barf Can we get over that already? Thank you!

That's it for now. I sound grumpy, I know... sorry. I did enjoy the last 4 episodes though (which I kind of binge watched).
Old 05-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Did the battery engineer wear eyeliner or something? It just looked wrong. Bad casting.
poor Nestor Carbonell, I wonder if he gets tired of reading that. I'd love to have his eyelashes but he's a pretty good actor. The show has had bad casting before but it was never because of actors looks.

Quote:
Something wrong with her eyelashes?

Quote:
I mean no disrespect, but Alicia does't seem to be able to make up her mind.
Heh the woman has not made one decision and stuck with it for more than a couple of episodes in 5 seasons

Quote:
really like the character and I don't have a strong ship preference so it's kind of annoying to see how she's this great lawyer who kicks ass but can't do certain things.
That could be realistic if it was well written. Sometimes people just have the best instincts when it comes to their work but they're emotionally confused. Of course that's real life. On the show, it's just for twist value and because they don't know what they want her to do in 3 episodes so she keeps changing her mind depending on what they need. But the kickass professional with the messy life is not unrealistic. Nor is it anything new really.

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"