Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Elite Fan

The Good Wife 5.11 Episode Discussion Thread - Goliath and David (01/05/2014)

Episode 5.11 - Goliath and David

WRITTEN BY: Luke Schelhaas
DIRECTED BY: Brooke Kennedy
AIRDATE: 1/05/2014

Summary

Alicia represents a band suing a TV show for copyright infringement, but the simple case becomes psychological warfare when Will joins the opposing council and uses his knowledge of Alicia’s strengths and weaknesses against her. Also, Eli hires Kalinda in an attempt to get ahead of a potential scandal

Cast List and Stills

"I want a happy life. And I want to control my own fate."
--- Alicia Florrick

Last edited by Kiki17; 01-05-2014 at 08:49 PM
Old 01-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Elite Fan

You guys, the cast did a music video to the song ins tonight's episode!

The Good Wife Cast Made a Music Video for Thicky Trick and You Need to Watch It—See It Here! | E! Online
Old 01-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Part-Time Fan

How disappointing! After that last breathtakingly good episode where we saw some genuine emotion, i.e., vulnerability, this one was a clunker. It seems like they rewarded themselves for the hard work of the first half of the season by knocking off early...creativity-wise, for the holidays in early November.

All the characters seem to be p***ed off with each other. Fraying relationships, mistrust, cheap shots, bitterness, goofy meaningless cameos. I mean, Peter Bogdonovich....did we really need that to advance any particular narrative? The whole dumb tease over the identity of Marilyn's baby daddy served no dramatic purpose unless you count a vehicle for Eli to have one apoplectic fit after another. I'd be surprised if Alan sticks around after this kind of drivel they're writing for him.

Maybe it's because it's late and I'm tired that I'm in a bad mood. No, don't think so. I eagerly awaited this episode only to be let down. It would be a real treat to have something uplifting happen, like the characters treating each other well for a change...with some of the decency we had come to expect of them. Just my $.02.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:43 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrose13 (View Post)
You guys, the cast did a music video to the song ins tonight's episode!

The Good Wife Cast Made a Music Video for Thicky Trick and You Need to Watch It—See It Here! | E! Online
Ohh I really want to see it, but I get directed to the page and then don't see the actual video, only the description/article about it? Anyone else have this problem? I do get referred to the german version of E online for some reason (I'm from NL) maybe that has to do with it?
Old 01-06-2014, 01:33 AM
Part-Time Fan

I liked the whole baby father suspense and reveal, and liked the way they used the reporter to make us think she had dirt on the baby's father, only for her to be a set up for the election fraud storyline. Eli's expression in the last scene was really we'll acted.

The case of the week really lost me. I was completely bored by it.

I don't care to see more of Jenna. They are really overdoing it with Kalinda and sex. For a moment the whole Kalinda/Jenna dynamic felt uncomfortably Nickish.

Kalinda's confrontation with Damian was interesting though. He asked a very poignant question - Don't you have friends?

They need to either get to the point with the whole Damian's secrecy thing or just end it. Either Kalinda finds something on him or she doesn't. It's really not important anymore. They've dragged this out long enough.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:31 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
For a moment the whole Kalinda/Jenna dynamic felt uncomfortably Nickish.
Not again .
Old 01-06-2014, 05:56 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
All the characters seem to be p***ed off with each other.
Yeah I was thinking that; Kalinda/Jenna, Eli/Marilyn, Alicia/Will, Diane/Will etc.
The Diane/Will stuff was quite interesting and I'm sure that will all become very relevant in a few episodes' time. I always thought Diane slotted right back into the firm far too easily following her interview and being asked to leave early for her judgeship, so it's realistic that there's tension.

The Alicia/Will stuff. OK I could write far too much about this, so I'm going to try and censor myself. Starting off positively, I will say that I LOVED those flashbacks and Julianna Margulies is just
I feel bad saying negative stuff about them, but I'm a bit tired of them always facing each other in court - is there no one else?
Will using private information about Alicia not liking interruptions, and then Alicia changing to that outfit was all a bit mean.
I don't like, but can understand Will's actions. Obviously I think he's going too far, but I can rationalize it all; Will is heartbroken and can't understand what he's done wrong.
But Alicia, I just can't grasp why she's acting the way she is. They need to give her a confidante so she can explain it all. Maybe she's doing this because she's really trying to repel Will as she's so in love with him, maybe it's because she's appalled at his current behaviour, or maybe she still holds grudges about the way she was treated at L/G, but they need to have her justify it, because right now it makes no sense (to me)
I'm not saying I want her to be meek and feeble, sobbing and begging forgiveness from L/G at every opportunity - in fact I would hate that! I just don't get where her angry attitude has come from.
Will and L/G did a lot for her, but that doesn't mean she should owe them everything. I mean according to the pilot script Alicia was late thirties when she started at L/G, so she probably had at least another 30 years of working life ahead of her, and she was probably not going to spend the whole of that time at L/G was she?(well maybe in Will's mind) Whenever she left it wouldn't have been pretty, but I just can't see why she's so mad at everyone. I know she cried in the elevator, and also looked sad outside Will's office that time, but those moments are fleeting. I do love that she's so driven at the moment though, and it doesn't mean I don't still love Julianna Margulies' perfect acting! And I still see great chemistry between Will and Alicia!

Last edited by StarryFlower; 03-19-2014 at 10:06 AM
Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Part-Time Fan

I enjoyed the episode, but it wasn't that special in any particular way.

- The Eli plot was as predictable as a traffic light.
- The case was good, but I'd really want to see an episode where the two firms don't cross paths at all.
- Very little Diane, but her scene with Will in the end was... ahh, I hate Will every moment more and more. He has become an antagonist, which is not a bad thing.
- David Lee (who is suppose to be a regular), hasn't been around for a few episodes now.
- It's weird how Kalinda is still willing to do work "for Alicia". I know the writers put more of her in the show because of the audience. It worked in the previous episode, but this time it just didn't spark.

Uumm, and the cast dance video is in youtube (although not an official source). This time the song wasn't as terrible as the one from season 2.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
They need to give her a confidante so she can explain it all
If only there was a character for that...oh, wait, there IS, deliberately not used and used for pointless plots instead
Old 01-06-2014, 01:08 PM
New Fan

I think the interesting thing about TGW is how viewers can see things with so many different meanings. I have always felt that the Kings come off as vague in interviews when it comes to what the meaning is behind what they write. It's as if they are non committed during interviews so that the can continue to coax the viewer along. I am on the side that the writing and episodes play out in a definite way & yet the cannot or will not say as much. To me TGW is a love story that has been presented as a triangle & political story. At its center everything has always been focused the relationship of Alicia & Will. Peter, her kids, the elections & the firm are all 2ndry and yet we are told by the writers that isn't so. This split of the firm and the actions that follow are all about Alicia & Will's deep passionate love for the other. Alicia is acting in a state of fear, a required need to continue moving forward, play the game at all costs. Will is acting out of his hurt & heartbreaker over the actions and finality of things. If Alicia stays at LG she knows she cannot deny her deep love for Will and the fact she will have to fully open her heart to him, which means she lives we the fear of being hurt. It's easier for her to remain guarded with Peter, not fully invested, because he can no longer hurt her. So she sets out to make will her enemy, to do all that she can to keep herself, her heart protected. Will's actions are a spiral to the lowest, out of loss, out of betrayal and out of some kind of desperation to be near he even in the worst sort of way.. So I get the meaning behind the actions in this episode, because I see the writing being all about Alicia & Will at the heart. Peter is the anti Will, the means for Alicia not to open up, Cary is the means for her to walk out of Wills life in a final way, Diane is the person who is there to remind us & Will that he isn't of sound mind, business mind, he is heartbroken.

I see fault with Kalinda's storyline because it has lost its need, it's telling her storyline on the side over and over again & she needs to be tied emotionally back to Alicia. If she were working with Alicia now to outsmart Will then it would work. I feel as if the writers are just trying to give Eli and Kalinda something todo each week without a real need for it.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Elite Fan

So my thoughts, I basically thought the episode was funny. That's probably the only reason I enjoyed it.

-Will needs to get a grip already, ok I get that Alicia hurt him, and he is hurt and he feels her lost her blah blah. But is time for him to focus on himself and try to keep going with his life, instead of follow Alicia everywhere she turns. Its unhealthy and is making him act irrational. And Alicia is so annoyed at this point that she has to resort to crazy behavior as well. (not that I am going to complain about the suit, cause that shot of her getting undress HOT HOT HOT )

-Cary and Alicia are totally being adorable together, I love the pop talk he gave her last episode, it was nice!

-For crying out loud how many Peter could Marilyn really know? I won't even say I am relieved Peter F is not the father, cause I thought that implication was ridiculous and I knew they would never go there.

-Jenna is annoying me but only cause she is friend with Damian who I despise. But all the talk about "friendship" this episode she did to Kalinda, does it mean we might get some K/A mending fences soon?

-Diane continues to be my hero and the only adult left at L&G

OMGGGGGGG THIS CAST AND THIS MUSIC VIDEO BEST THING EVER!!

Quote:
But Alicia, I just can't grasp why she's acting the way she is, and right now it's hard for me to like her
She is just reacting to his HARASSMENT (lack of a better word) of her!

Quote:
If only there was a character for that...oh, wait, there IS, deliberately not used and used for pointless plots instead
Ridiculous so sick of it......

Quote:
To me TGW is a love story that has been presented as a triangle & political story.
Oh gosh I don't see it. I think this is the story of a woman trying to start and rebuild her life again, with the backdrop of a never ending triangle and political plot.

--- Alicia Florrick
Old 01-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Supreme Fan

I really enjoyed the episode! Glad we didn't had to wait another couple of weeks...but that we're getting 3 new episodes this month, including this one. I agree with Kiki that it was mainly just funny. The entire case of the week felt funny, and even the ''drama'' around it felt funny.

- Alicia and Cary are just awesome together. They just started working together and they already seem more stable than Diane and Will lately.

- Someone said that he didn't understand why Alicia is behaving the way she does. One simple answer. Will doesn't make it easy for her to move on. Every case Alicia gets...Will uses it to get more time with Alicia. He is willingly trying to sabotage FAA. I understand why he's mad and all, but move on with your life already. Alicia clearly is. She just wants to move on. I loved her ''revenge'' by putting on the clothes she wore the first time he ''banged her''. When she said those last words I LOL'led so hard, even though I am in pretty bad mood today.

- Kalinda...and all the talk about friendship ( and even the mentions of Alicia ) kind of makes me hope there will be some scenes for them coming, but I know I shouldn't hold my hopes up.

- Peter not being the dad doesn't surprise me...I mean, that would be bad and the show jumping the shark. I knew there was another father. I loved the final twist about the vote tampering coming up again though! Totally unexpected.

- Trying not to watch the next promo. Trying to be spoiler free. Really hard, I can tell you!
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | Veronica Mars | Charmed | The Crown | Game of Thrones | Killing Eve | Damages | The Good Wife/The Good Fight | His Dark Materials | Homeland | Brothers & Sisters | The Resident | Everwood | Person of Interest | Fringe | Parenthood | Revenge | Big Little Lies| One Chicago | Everwood | Bones | Big Bang Theory | Marvelous Mrs Maisel | The Good Place | & More.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:24 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
but that we're getting 3 new episodes this month, including this one.
No

*want to jump off a bridge*

We are getting one more this coming Sunday and nothing again UNTIL MARCH 9TH

*I am not taking this too well*

Quote:
I understand why he's mad and all, but move on with your life already.
Exactlyyyyyyy its been 2 months already dude!

--- Alicia Florrick
Old 01-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah I agree Will needs to get over it like Alicia said. I enjoyed her and Cary and I found the case fun. Poor Eli I felt bad for him
Old 01-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Exactlyyyyyyy its been 2 months already dude!
Will needs a hobby or something, seriously