Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Elite Fan

The Good Wife 4.13 Episode Discussion Thread - The Seven Day Rule (01/27/2013)

Episode 4.13 - The Seven Day Rule

WRITTEN BY: Keith Eisner
DIRECTED BY: Michael Zinberg
AIRDATE: 01/27/2013

Happy TGW Sunday!

Summary
Alicia is conflicted when she’s presented with a career-changing offer which carries a large financial risk. Meanwhile, Will and Diane face off against their creditors, and Jordan and Eli disagree over a possible attack on Maddie Hayward’s campaign

Cast List and Stills

"I want a happy life. And I want to control my own fate."
--- Alicia Florrick
Old 01-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Elite Fan

This is probably one of my favorites episode of the season, it was a roller coaster of emotion for me as it was for Alicia Florrick. She had SO many ups and downs, it was amazing. I really enjoyed that.

- I was so happy for Alicia when she got that promotion. It FELT right, and we have all seen how good and hard she has worked. So as happy as Alicia was, so was I. I swear even a tear came out, because I am so happy for her. But damn it all went down hill from there I got to say it was a pretty ****ty thing D/W did, but I get it, they have to save their firm. They have been building this firm for years, and they are about to loose it. So I don't blame them for it. But to say it doesn't sting, would be a lie. I mean I get why Alicia was so pissed about it, I mean ouch. I guess maybe D/W could have done it in a less discreet way, I mean giving Cary partnership that throws a red flag, they should have been smarter about it.

-So this is were it goes from happy Alicia to pissed and angry Alicia and letter tipsy/sassy Alicia She is so cold later with D/W and then later in court.

-I felt so sad for her when she is testifying, she almost seems like she wants to cry: "Unless you consider the promotion of someone who has billed thousands of hours. And helped win dozens of cases" awwww

-The Alicia/Eli scene was great, it felt like the S1/S2 scenes, very enjoyable. Love Alicia's "I don't believe in God" Oh lord that was so funny.

-Alicia tipsy at the campaign event, basically ready to rip Maddie's head off oh man I would have love to see her go at it with her I loved how she went through the room slamming people down. And then to top it all off she says she is an atheist and WINCKS at Eli PURE GOLD, that scene was PURE GOLD!

-Cary was good too. He had a great scene with Hayden, I really liked that. It was a nice scene with Kalinda too!

-So the end, I am not sure what exactly to make of it.Does Alicia have something up her sleeve? And does Diane see that? Or did Alicia really take Diane's advice? Sometimes the acting in TGW is so subtle you think there is more there were they really isn't. I totally understand what Diane was telling Alicia, sometimes you might not get the promotion how you want it but you need to take advantage of it. However I am sure that when Diane got her promotion the way she did, she was pissed about it, just like Alicia is now. So yes Diane knows looking back it was a good decision, but I think she should also understand why Alicia is pissed. So yes I get that Diane is telling her, stop pouting and get in the game, but imagine how feminist Diane felt years ago when she found out she got a promotion not for her skills but for her sex. I get why Alicia is insulted.

-Anyone else get like a weird Jordan/Alicia vibe? Or is it that he is just annoying and Alicia couldn't careless. Almost like Eli at the beginning.

So overall I found this episode to be so great, super good! Probably top 3 for me this season so far!!
Damn you three week hiatus Damn you

--- Alicia Florrick
Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 AM
Part-Time Fan

To me this episode was only okay. It was strong drama although David Lee is always fun to watch and this whole atheist thing will pour some water to concept of Saint Alicia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki17 (View Post)
imagine how feminist Diane felt years ago when she found out she got a promotion not for her skills but for her sex.(
That's a great point to make. I still didn't quite understand Diane's face in the end of the episode.

I liked how they battled Canning in this episode. That dog. At least Canning didn't get a surprise win in the end.

Campaign had interesting scenes, but I am starting to feel like Peter will lose to Maddie in the season finale and Peter and Alicia move together to add a "happy ending". It seems very likely they can't get Kresteva to the show or that battle is halt to next season. Uumm, when is the governor election in real life?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:16 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
but I am starting to feel like Peter will lose to Maddie in the season finale and Peter and Alicia move together to add a "happy ending". It seems very likely they can't get Kresteva to the show or that battle is halt to next season. Uumm, when is the governor election in real life?
You know I been saying that it seems to me they are pushing the general election until next season, cause I mean where is Kresteva? I am not sure, or perhaps they are saving it until later this season? I think the next general election for illionios is in 2014, so I really don't think they can delay that much.

Quote:
I still didn't quite understand Diane's face in the end of the episode.
Me neither, you know it could me nothing at all, since the acting on TGW is so subtle it might just come off as more than it really was. Or maybe there is more to come no idea but I am damn excited.

--- Alicia Florrick
Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
To me this episode was only okay. It was strong drama although David Lee is always fun to watch and this whole atheist thing will pour some water to concept of Saint Alicia.

I don't think Alicia has been "Saint Alicia" in quite some time.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR76 (View Post)
She still is in eyes of the voters... Uumm well.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR76 (View Post)
I never really understood where the hell that name came from for Alicia

--- Alicia Florrick
Old 01-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

[QUOTE=Substance;67430370]

That's a great point to make. I still didn't quite understand Diane's face in the end of the episode.

QUOTE]

Me neither...and I didn't quite understand Alicia too...is she thinking of acception canning's offer? I know that we will have more of this in next episodes
Old 01-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Dedicated Fan

Oooohhh....I really liked the episode!! So much to read in between the lines and so much going on!

Will and Diane....man, nice move!!! Diane's acting was flawless. She made us kinda hate her for the first time and she showed that as much as she has such strong principles, she's also human and a business woman who needs to decide thinking of the business. I liked the way she talked to Alicia in the end. Smooth, direct, to the point. And Alicia knew what to do. Of course she was being cynical, but hey that's work. Congrats to those who never had to fake a smile at an office party.

David Lee. Oh, David Lee!!! Would love to see him more often!

The G'd question...that's gonna be a good one. I like the campaign storyline, so...can't complaint!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Substance (View Post)
I still didn't quite understand Diane's face in the end of the episode.
I think Diane is worried... Alicia has always been loyal to the firm, and after this whole plotting for money I think she lost a little of her trust on Will and Diane, and she is obviously bitter about it... Alicia is an important asset to the firm, not only because she's good but because of her connection with the State's Attorney (that may become the new governor!), the firm can't afford losing her. I think when Diane saw Alicia talking with Canning and robotically thanking the partners she realized that now she can't trust Alicia either. Alicia is no longer the "saint Alicia", Diane will have to keep an eye on her from now on, since Alicia tends to be "unpredictable" when she's angry...
Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 AM
Total Fan

It was a really good episode!

Quote:
Will and Diane....man, nice move!!! Diane's acting was flawless. She made us kinda hate her for the first time and she showed that as much as she has such strong principles, she's also human and a business woman who needs to decide thinking of the business. I liked the way she talked to Alicia in the end. Smooth, direct, to the point. And Alicia knew what to do. Of course she was being cynical, but hey that's work. Congrats to those who never had to fake a smile at an office party.
after what Diane told Alicia at the end, I hope she understands what a great opportunity it is, no matter in what circumstances. Stern asked Diane to become a partner just because she was a woman and look where she is today!

and why was Alicia so shocked she would have to invest money to become a partner? she didn't know those are the rules? I knew and I'm not a lawyer

It was interesting to see both Alicia and Maddie admit they are atheists, although I don't see anyone admitting that in real-life politics in the U.S and winning the election
Old 01-29-2013, 04:33 AM
Master Fan

Oh I loved this ep. It´s been a while.

I love the whole partner storyline! Diane is by far my fav character but
Quote:
Diane's acting was flawless. She made us kinda hate her for the first time
this!

This whole story is so interesting on so many levels. I do get why Will and Diane did what they did but the quuestion is, why not being open about it. Tell her that they asked all the 4th years. So there lies the trick IMO.

Carry, who when he found out why they did it kept calm, not being overly joyfull but of course he´d do and accept the offer. That´s quite the male thing to do. Just like Diane did back then, she just accepted the opportunity and didn´t care why because yes, in the end, noone will ask how you got to where you are. Well, except it leaves as bitter aftertaste for yourself maybe. Diane can say what she wants but well, it still must be bitter.

Alicia, who yes, is far from being a Saint always felt loyal to the firm
Quote:
Alicia has always been loyal to the firm, and after this whole plotting for money I think she lost a little of her trust on Will and Diane
ITA. That´s what is essential about her. She put her heart into it, like she said all those hours and she helped them, and yes she´s an asset too and never disappointed them so they could have at least be honest with her. I think, that would have changed everything. At least for me. So I totally am with Alicia on this.

Yes, she did pout and was bitter (loved it such a natural reaction at least to me) but that´s the female thing to do too I may say. Except for Diane maybe. And as much as I love Diane, she keeps doing this. Acting superior, well yes technically she is the boss but she has a thing about it I really don´t like. Just like last year, when she was all high and mighty when Alicia dared to ask for a raise. She went on about how they gave her a chance and that Alicia should be thankful and more...submissive was what she really wanted.
Quote:
Of course she was being cynical, but hey that's work. Congrats to those who never had to fake a smile at an office party.
I agree, that´s work these days but still. She might have just lost Alicia right there. And that´s what her face meant in the end. She realised that. Because Alicia is Alicia, the possible governer´s wife yes, but also a damn good lawyer who did help the firm win a lot of cases. And Diane might have overlooked it. Not every women is like her and Alicia, once you hurt her...you might get the an answer you don´t like. Alicia might have faked those smiles and TY´s but I think, Alicia might just take Canning´s offer I think and get back at Diane soon. Since she wasn´t so sure about the partnership offer even before she found out the truth about it. Also they played with that idea for a while now. There have always been hints and other firms being interested in Alicia. Also putting this scene before the Diane/ Alicia one... And once this bankruptcy storyline is over they will need some new dynamics.

So all in all a great ep. Where there is no clear answer of right or wrong, yet hitting the core of workplaces these days and also it fit with the campaign sl.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEXA82 (View Post)
She might have just lost Alicia right there. And that´s what her face meant in the end. She realised that.
I don't think Alicia is leaving the firm. They would have to make half the cast of the show recurring characters. Alicia's promotion didn't happen the way she wanted it. Hell it didn't happen the way I wanted to see it happen, but Alicia stays at L/G.

I think Will and Diane didn't see what they did wrong until Alicia got supeaned. They had became partners in simliar way (at leastt D had) so now they made people in the firm partners in that way. It was still shortsighted.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Dedicated Fan

It would actually be interesting if Alicia left L/G and joined forces with Canning. It wouldn't be an interesting twist and I guess I'd like to see that. Especially cause it would affect every character in the show in a different way! And then she could come back to L/G in another season...
#dreamin
Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Substance (View Post)
I don't think Alicia is leaving the firm. They would have to make half the cast of the show recurring characters. Alicia's promotion didn't happen the way she wanted it. Hell it didn't happen the way I wanted to see it happen, but Alicia stays at L/G.
I don't think Alicia will leave either for the same reasons, but Diane obviously doesn't know any of that lol When Diane saw Alicia talking with Canning she realized that was a possibility of Alicia leaving.
That reminds me of that talk between Alicia and Caitlin, where Alicia told her when someone leaves a firm for another they lose credibility, no one trusts a "quitter"...
I think now Alicia will lose some credibility with Diane, because from Diane POV she may be leaving and will "betray" the firm in some way.