Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Elite Fan

The Good Wife 4.09 Episode Discussion Thread - A Defense of Marriage (11/25/2012)

Episode 4.09 - A Defense of Marriage

WRITTEN BY: Matthew Montoya
DIRECTED BY: Brooke Kennedy
AIRDATE: 11/25/2012

Happy TGW Sunday!

Summary
Alicia and Diane agree to let a famous liberal lawyer aid them on their latest case, but they soon realize he may not have their client’s best interests in mind. Meanwhile, Alicia’s mother arrives for Thanksgiving seeking moral and legal support from Alicia and her brother Owen

Cast List and Stills

"I want a happy life. And I want to control my own fate."
--- Alicia Florrick
Old 11-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Addicted Fan

Thanks Kiki! I hope we'll get a good episode tonight!

I don't think i know the writer of today's episode... Has he written anything before??
Old 11-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Femina (View Post)
Thanks Kiki! I hope we'll get a good episode tonight!
I am so excited it hurts really With Stockard not sure much else matters to me

Quote:
I don't think i know the writer of today's episode... Has he written anything before??
Nope he is brand new, hasn't written before. However the Kings did teleplay.

--- Alicia Florrick
Old 11-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Extreme Fan

TFTNT!

Really excited about Stockard Channing!!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
However the Kings did teleplay.
:loll that explains so much.

I don't even know what to say anymore.
Case was interesting.

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 11-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Elite Fan

I really wished I had the mental capability right now of putting words together Tomorrow I guess.

--- Alicia Florrick

Last edited by Kiki17; 11-25-2012 at 09:27 PM
Old 11-26-2012, 03:56 AM
Part-Time Fan

Am I really the first to write about... no write about is not the right word, CELEBRATE this episode?

So glad I didn't watch the promo because when that last part of the episode began at the Florricks I was like Modern Family better watch their ass, this is some great family writing.

- Nick the Dick must go. Please writers, get him off this show now. I don't want to see him in Spring anymore.

- Loved the judge and the case. She was wonderful in Long Way Home and also in this episode. So was Diane. The case was twisty and complicated. So was Jeremy.

- "This is my right hand. I want you to look at it. It was with this hand that I promised my brother dying of AIDS that I would defend the rights of gays to my very last breath." And later in the episode: "This is my right hand... Diane: Oh don't give me that crap!" Hahaha

- Alicia's mum. I mean where to begin, she was used a lot and it was all very entertaining. I think I'm gonna be that kind of a parent someday (sadly). She and David Lee were perfect. A really surprising duo. And of course they won, such snakes.

- Jackie vs. Veronica in the kitchen. Weirdly I was in Jackie's corner.

And the last scene.... Oh my god. I remember the bit from Feeding the Rat where Alicia said to Will that she has never been so sure (about not talking about the "I luv you"). Now she said to Peter that she has never been more serious (about having sex with him). Then Peter said "the door's unlocked" Alicia: I don't give a *** (car noise censorship from the open window). Of course I didn't see any of this happening because I was shaking my arms so excitedly, doing 100 palm fists a minute.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:38 AM
Dedicated Fan

I loved Alicia and her family in this episode. I think JM performed well in the scenes with Stockard Channing and her brother.

I'm not a P/A fan but that ending was kinda amazing

As expected, the cutting down of Nick and Kalinda just makes the episodes feel disjointed. But...lesser of two evils at least it's almost over...I think--I hope.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:16 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki17 (View Post)
I really wished I had the mental capability right now of putting words together Tomorrow I guess.
Yeah, even with my headache, I was pretty sure you were having a heart attack with that scene
I made my icon.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Absolute Fan

I forgot how good the good wife does sex scenes! The show is the best at them because they are never simple, they always have so much double and hidden meanings.

First episode of the season I watched because I really wanted to see Alicia's relationship with her mum and I was not disappointed at all. To be honest the case was great but I would have just loved the whole episode to focus on that dinner at the end. There is still so much left explored and really hope there are more scenes like them in the future.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I only got to see some of it last night.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Elite Fan

Best of Stockard
-“They either bore me or die”
-“David Lee…. that doesn’t sound like a Jewish, sounds Chinese”
-“You don’t have to say anything with that LOOK of yours”
-“There is only one thing….Happiness”
-“I heard you nearly DIE Jackie”
-“Paying for it seems to run in your family” HAHAH!
-“I got you this book, you got to read it….Vagina”
-“I never thought a penis never looked quite RIGHT unless it was circumcised” oh mama that woman is forward!
-“My son always talks very loudly when he tries to patronize me”
“I was just telling Will, about the vagina book we are reading”
-“Your sister thinks we are liars”

Decide to just post the best Veronica quote, I loved her She managed to take jabs at Jackie, almost make Alicia cry (twice), and call Peter selfish in the span of like 5 minutes. I want her back sometime

I got to say, I knew I was going to love this episode for Stockard alone, I been waiting so long to meet Alicia mom and it was as sad/satisfying as I imagined. Thier relationship is so complex and sad, and Alicia and her mother are so very different.

-The case was very interesting, and depressing. I cannot wait until gay marriage is finally accepted in this country. It’s ludicrous that those guys rights could be violated because our country doesn’t recognize a marriage to be more than a union between a man and a woman :eyerolls:

-Stockard face when Alicia tells her it’s a subpoena priceless!

-Veronica and David Lee….DEAD. I loved their interactions, I can ship it

-Alicia's face when David Lee tells her she has a “lovely mother”

-Veronica thinking Owen/Will were gay oh my lord too good

-Alicia face when Owen lies for her mom. It was like she was disappointed, but she understood. And that’s the things you do for family. Also, Alicia- “My mother remembers things creatively”

-Got to say that Veronica/Alicia scene in the living room, basically BROKE my heart. It’s obvious Alicia is so hurt about her mom being away for so long. And when her mom tells her she loves her, is almost as she cannot believe, she doesn’t want to hear it cause she is so hurt and doesn’t want to let her in again. It was just so sad to me, the way Alicia looks down as to trying to hold back tears. Jules did an amazing job in that scene

- Alicia sending Jackie to talk to her mom….HILARIOSU! That’s the nicest she has ever been to Jackie, just cause she wants to get her all buttered up to go fight her mom

-V/A scene where Veronica tells her that “ there is only one thing, happiness” . I couldn’t agree more with Veronica, I think she is so right and Alicia should do what she wants. I am not sure though if Veronica is right that Alicia is solemnly doing this because she wants to be different from her. And honestly Alicia broke my heart again, and let me be clear I don’t think is about Will. I think Alicia knows how she feels about Will, she dealt with that already. And I don’t think is about Peter either. But I think the comment really hit home with her, because the reality is, are you happy Alicia? And I think that’s a question she needs to look deep inside her to find out.

-A/P will forever own my heart. That scene at the end was AMAZING I have no words, I basically was speechless for a while. But again did Alicia do it out spite, or to prove she wants to be happy and maybe she can, or was it a mix of both? Like the Kings love to say, actions on TGW are not all black and white. We don’t know for sure why Alicia did what she did at the end. Is it like her mom said, Alicia doesn't know how to let go? I have a personal opinion which you can find in the A/P thread, everyone knows I am a shipper and how I feel about them.

-I believe the biggest disappointed was Cary not pressing charges, honestly doesn’t make sense to me. You are assaulted by a client and you don’t think to go to the police? Tell your bosses? And of course Kalinda and Cary not even talking about it. I wasn’t expecting this episode to really tackle the issue, because TGW is like that, sometimes they skip an episode before delaying with what people want to know about it. But I think it was a mistake to even show Cary with his beaten up eye if no one was going to talk about it. I hope they can discuss it next episode, perhaps Kalinda finds out some way that it wasn’t a basketball injury. I really hope so, because I really don’t think Cary knows who he is dealing with, I mean Nick basically threaten him with death. I find it crazy that Kalinda won’t find out, which is why I am hoping maybe next episode they can go there. I am thinking this pass episode with the case and Stockard stuff they didn’t have the opportunity to expand on it. However I would have prefer less time on the case and a little more focus on K/C, cause what they did felt like they skirted over the issue. It was nice to see all three of them in the bar, but it’s obvious something was missing. Maybe it was cut to the next episode.

Quote:
To be honest the case was great but I would have just loved the whole episode to focus on that dinner at the end. There is still so much left explored and really hope there are more scenes like them in the future
I couldn't agree more. I think there is still soooo much left to explore there. Its a shame that the writers didn't seen how to balance this episode right.

Quote:
Of course I didn't see any of this happening because I was shaking my arms so excitedly, doing 100 palm fists a minute.
After the skirt came out, I wasn't able to hear anything else. I was in utter shock.

Quote:
I was pretty sure you were having a heart attack with that scene
I wasn't able to focus for hours basically

--- Alicia Florrick

Last edited by Kiki17; 11-26-2012 at 10:18 AM
Old 11-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Total Fan

Thanks Kiki for posting the best of Stockard. damn she was awesome
I loved her interactions with everyone on the show
The case was pretty interesting, although that "super" lawyer annoyed the crap out of me, I was applauding Diane after she put him down
as for the A/P scene I must say that while I kinda don't care about shipping after what they did to A/W let me just say that there's nothing I'd like more than for Alicia to jus stit down and think about her life instead of doing nothing or acting on impulse all the time

Last edited by Aga_darkside; 11-26-2012 at 11:33 AM
Old 11-26-2012, 02:37 PM
New Fan

I do love the episode, it show us more about Alicia's personality and how the development of the character stop abruptly that they did on the past last season, when Alicia was totally off.

BUT, there is a big problem here. I like A/P being together and separate, but whatever they do they should move on. It is impossible that after 4 season we are in the same place that we were on first season, first the kiss after this affair was not true, now sex because someone else, some other needs. She finally has to decide something, and also Peter, I know he slept with prostitutes, he slept with Kalinda too, but he can't be hanging all the time around Alicia's desires.

I hope, that they decide do something real finally between them.

And... I missed Kalinda, like in every epsiode since this season started... ¬¬
Old 11-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Part-Time Fan

This episode moved some stagnant plots ahead a little, thankfully.

Cary's smiling threat toward Nick was masterful. They'll either manage to send him to jail again or scare him off forever. I prefer this than if he had confronted him directly about the beating.

Alicia defying her mother by acting out sexually with Peter. Although it was petulant and impulsive, I hope the aftermath will be that she seriously allows herself to think about what will make her happy and start making some bold moves.