Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Elite Fan

The Court (OT) #188 - Let's make it a birthweek Aga!

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 12-20-2014, 05:14 PM
Elite Fan

my keyboard is acting weird tonight so if I skip a letter or two, fill in the blanks, ok?

Quote:
Girlfriend's present arrived today, yay! I'm so excited for Saturday!!
how did it go?

Quote:
I believe I've mentioned it before, but I'm not a fan of pickles.
I bet I could change your mind I managed to change Ness's mind about them and I managed to make Joana *ask* for brussel sprouts and green beans so I like my odds

Quote:
Pretty good actually Quite far in the story.

Quote:
Today marks the 4th year anniversary of my bofriend and I, yay
awww happy anniversary!
have a good time in London, Ingmar

Quote:
I know right?! Like geez,it's not the end of the world or simeting
You obviously don't have bratty spoiled kids but yeah I agree, people are just acting crazy. Especially now with online stores, you can find stuff more easily if you can't find it in a store near you.

Quote:
Somehow I managed to not to get too drunk Altough I was doing my best with the whiskey and gin and tonic
Oooh! Grown-up drinks and all. I usually stick to long drinks with cute names and lots of juice or soda and I still get drunk.

Quote:
Christmas trees are something I could sell my soul for,I swear
I love them! They're my favorite part of Xmas! Ours always ends up looking like some plane carrying ornaments just did an air drop above it but I love that!

Old 12-20-2014, 09:45 PM
Elite Fan

Hello everybody

Yes, pickles! Hate them as well! I remember I always had to ask my food without pickles when I was in the States because they put it in every possible meal as far as I remember

Eugenia | tumblr ♔| twitter
Old 12-21-2014, 03:40 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Yes, pickles! Hate them as well!
More pickles for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
I managed to make Joana *ask* for brussel sprouts and green beans so I like my odds
You made someone ASK for brussel sprouts?! You must have special powers,seriously

Quote:
You obviously don't have bratty spoiled kids
Lucky me

Quote:
Especially now with online stores, you can find stuff more easily if you can't find it in a store near you.
Exactly. I get when people don't like buying clothes for example online but stuff like games,dvds,books and such?

Quote:
Grown-up drinks and all. I usually stick to long drinks with cute names and lots of juice or soda
Oh I like that kind of alcohol too,but when I have a chance to drink good whiskey for free, then,you know

Quote:
They're my favorite part of Xmas! Ours always ends up looking like some plane carrying ornaments just did an air drop above it but I love that!
I know what you're talking about Those are the best kinds
Old 12-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Total Fan

I've been away far too long , but things were a little bit crazy, I'm so thankful for Christmas break How's everyone doing?
And count me in as a pickles fan
Old 12-21-2014, 01:16 PM
Elite Fan

Aga! I was beginning to worry about you
How have you been? How's the studying going? Are you tired of Les Mis yet?

Quote:
And count me in as a pickles fan

Old 12-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
How have you been? How's the studying going? Are you tired of Les Mis yet?
I'm good, though this week's been a bitch, I've only finished translating some ****ty technical text today. I swear I shouldn't agree to do such things, I had no idea what I was doing But the best thing is I have time off until the 7h of January And surprisingly I'm not tired of Les Mis yet :lol, but then I have only a few pages of the analysis written, I've been thinking of writing some more during the break, but my advisor hasn't responded to my email yet after I had sent her a few pages to see if I'm doing the analysis right
Old 12-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I'm good, though this week's been a bitch
Sorry to hear that but it's better than the other way around

I
Quote:
've only finished translating some ****ty technical text today. I swear I shouldn't agree to do such things, I had no idea what I was doing
you let yourself be swept up by the holiday spirit? Is it for charity or something?

Quote:
But the best thing is I have time off until the 7h of January
you should enjoy every minute!

Quote:
And surprisingly I'm not tired of Les Mis yet :lol,
good!

Quote:
but then I have only a few pages of the analysis written, I've been thinking of writing some more during the break, but my advisor hasn't responded to my email yet after I had sent her a few pages to see if I'm doing the analysis right
Well that's a good excuse not to work during your break

Old 12-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
you let yourself be swept up by the holiday spirit? Is it for charity or something?
No it was only seven pages and didn't look that bad so I thought why not? But then it turned out I had to look up every other word Next time I'll think twice before accepting

Quote:
you should enjoy every minute!
I intend to

Quote:
Well that's a good excuse not to work during your break
Right? My friend claims that our advisor only answers the emails if you ask her a question and I didn't I'll write to her again after the New Year's, now I'm taking a break
Old 12-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
No it was only seven pages and didn't look that bad so I thought why not? But then it turned out I had to look up every other word Next time I'll think twice before accepting
damn! Yeah I guess technical translations can be a huge hassle when it comes to vocabulary. And you can't always afford to make up words and/or end up with translations that don't make sense like Windows translators do

Quote:
I intend to
Do you have plans or are you mostly going to make it up as you go along and do as little as possible?

Quote:
Right? My friend claims that our advisor only answers the emails if you ask her a question and I didn't
you should send it again with "what do you think about this?"
it's a question, right?

Quote:
I'll write to her again after the New Year's, now I'm taking a break
I mean you can still write something down if you have an idea, so it's not as if you're slacking, right? you're just recuperating

Old 12-21-2014, 02:20 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
damn! Yeah I guess technical translations can be a huge hassle when it comes to vocabulary. And you can't always afford to make up words and/or end up with translations that don't make sense like Windows translators do
Yeah, I'd like to have some experience in technical translations, because there is a lot of jobs in the field and it's well-paid (second best after medical, I think), but I just don't understand it I translated a few texts with technical stuff, but it was just a part of the whole, this one was purely technical and while most of the vocabulary started to repeat after a while it was still hard because of a really annyoing writing style...

Quote:
Do you have plans or are you mostly going to make it up as you go along and do as little as possible?
I'm hosting a little New Year's party at my place, but apart from that I guess I'm just going to relax.

Quote:
you should send it again with "what do you think about this?"
it's a question, right?
yeah I was told I should've written something like "Could you check if it's alright?" in my original email;

Quote:
I mean you can still write something down if you have an idea, so it's not as if you're slacking, right? you're just recuperating
Maybe I'll select some examples for analysis and have it ready for later
Old 12-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Yeah, I'd like to have some experience in technical translations, because there is a lot of jobs in the field and it's well-paid (second best after medical, I think)
I bet! and most people who know the technical stuff suck at languages so it's not as if they could translate. It's a left brain/right brain thing or something
so no money in musical translation eh? shame

Quote:
but I just don't understand it I translated a few texts with technical stuff, but it was just a part of the whole, this one was purely technical and while most of the vocabulary started to repeat after a while it was still hard because of a really annyoing writing style...
well now at least you know it's reaaaaaally not for you

Quote:
I'm hosting a little New Year's party at my place, but apart from that I guess I'm just going to relax.
ooooh party! fancy! we're probably going to have a party too except it will be at our neighbors' and we won't be invited but we'll still get the music. Hopefully this year, they will skip the puking over the balcony but hey nothing says new year like a good hungover
Seriously though, we're probably going to see friends on New Year's Eve as well. We wanted to go to Porto to spend it with Joana but we were too late and prices for flights were ridiculous

Quote:
yeah I was told I should've written something like "Could you check if it's alright?" in my original email;
because your intention wasn't obvious enough apparently

Quote:
Maybe I'll select some examples for analysis and have it ready for later
Pfff no you shouldn't! you should have a notebook around in case you want to scribble something down but that's it!

Old 12-21-2014, 02:48 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
and most people who know the technical stuff suck at languages so it's not as if they could translate. It's a left brain/right brain thing or something
I guess that's true but there are people who have professional background and speak a language fluently, now that's winning combination, it's a shame I'm not an engineer or something

Quote:
so no money in musical translation eh?
Not really and I couldn't do it either, it's harder than technical stuff, you have to have a gift

Quote:
well now at least you know it's reaaaaaally not for you
I'm not giving up yet, but I'm aiming at legal stuff, that one's doable

Quote:
but we'll still get the music. Hopefully this year, they will skip the puking over the balcony but hey nothing says new year like a good hungover

Quote:
we wanted to go to Porto to spend it with Joana but we were too late and prices for flights were ridiculous
yeah the prices are crazy during the holidays

Quote:
because your intention wasn't obvious enough apparently
Right? and she was the one that told me to write that bloody thing
Old 12-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
but there are people who have professional background and speak a language fluently, now that's winning combination, it's a shame I'm not an engineer or something
I keep telling myself that! I don't know a single unemployed engineer but then again, I suck at maths so it was never a possibility for me.

Quote:
Not really and I couldn't do it either, it's harder than technical stuff, you have to have a gift
Oh screw gifts! You can fake it! I never said you had to be good at it

Quote:
I'm not giving up yet, but I'm aiming at legal stuff, that one's doable
Reasonable life goals are the key to happiness. I read that in a fortune cookie :p

Quote:
yeah the prices are crazy during the holidays
Yeah even "low cost" companies get crazy! 80 euros for a single ticket during regular months. 300 to 500 in December and the first week of January! I mean WTF?!!!
Next year I start planning in September!

Quote:
Right? and she was the one that told me to write that bloody thing
well that'll teach her!

why are you still up btw?

Old 12-21-2014, 03:41 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
but then again, I suck at maths so it was never a possibility for me.
Me too, maths was always a nightmare for me.

Quote:
Oh screw gifts! You can fake it! I never said you had to be good at it
Aah, now I get it

Quote:
even "low cost" companies get crazy! 80 euros for a single ticket during regular months. 300 to 500 in December and the first week of January! I mean WTF?!!!
Next year I start planning in September!
It's the same here.

Quote:
why are you still up btw?
I'm talking to you And it's not that late anyway But I'm going now, goodnight! :*