Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Harold and Mrs.Hart!! They were so young here!!!
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Extreme Fan

I was looking up baby names for characters in my graphic novel series, and one of the names on the list I was reading was Harold, and this is what someone wrote about it:

"The name of a pipe-smoking, bespectacled grandpa or uncle, rarely a baby, though any latent nerdiness can be counteracted with the relaxed nickname Hal."

I've always thought that Harold should have smoked a pipe!

Anyway, to revive this thread in a more meaningful way, I'll offer up a discussion question: From what we know about Hal Senior, do you think Harold took after his father or his mother more?
HAROLD: I don't know what you mean.
LemonyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonyPie (View Post)
I was looking up baby names for characters in my graphic novel series, and one of the names on the list I was reading was Harold, and this is what someone wrote about it:

"The name of a pipe-smoking, bespectacled grandpa or uncle, rarely a baby, though any latent nerdiness can be counteracted with the relaxed nickname Hal."

I've always thought that Harold should have smoked a pipe!

Anyway, to revive this thread in a more meaningful way, I'll offer up a discussion question: From what we know about Hal Senior, do you think Harold took after his father or his mother more?
I am behind on posts on this thread! Bad me! Well, not behind as far as mod duties, haha, but actually responding!

I will just say that I love the discussion going on here! It's great!

LOL That is so funny about the name, 'Harold.' LOL

As for the discussion question, thanks for posting one, Eva!

That's a really good question! I mean, obviously we know Harold took after his father becoming a doctor. For that matter, I never realized how the entire Abbott family had careers in healthcare! Harold Sr, doctor, Harold Jr, doctor, Linda, doctor, Edna, nurse. It's no wonder many people speculate that Amy was on her way as well. She really got into the medical research with Hannah's family situation. I could totally see Amy going pre-med or at least exploring that option.

Anyway, I think Harold was also a lot like his mother with stubbornness and a colorful personality. Though I would wager a guess he gets his quirkiness from his father. Edna isn't like that. Both Harold and his mother have difficulty outwardly showing emotions. They hate it, in fact, and sort of see it as a weakness.

I feel like Harold was intellectual like his father, and handled emotions like his mother basically if I want to break it down in a raw kind of way.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:50 AM
Elite Fan

Sorry to interrupt, but LemonyPie, just wanted to say I caught up on Parenthood! My heart is so breaking for Julia and Joel right now.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:44 AM
Elite Fan

Oh! Tom is back on Parenthood this week!
Old 01-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich1111 (View Post)
That's a really good question! I mean, obviously we know Harold took after his father becoming a doctor. For that matter, I never realized how the entire Abbott family had careers in healthcare! Harold Sr, doctor, Harold Jr, doctor, Linda, doctor, Edna, nurse. It's no wonder many people speculate that Amy was on her way as well. She really got into the medical research with Hannah's family situation. I could totally see Amy going pre-med or at least exploring that option.

Anyway, I think Harold was also a lot like his mother with stubbornness and a colorful personality. Though I would wager a guess he gets his quirkiness from his father. Edna isn't like that. Both Harold and his mother have difficulty outwardly showing emotions. They hate it, in fact, and sort of see it as a weakness.

I feel like Harold was intellectual like his father, and handled emotions like his mother basically if I want to break it down in a raw kind of way.
I totally agree. Although Edna is obviously sarcastic and quick-witted like Harold Jr., I can see Harold Senior being more of a classic intellectual like Harold Jr. I also see Harold Senior as the parent that Harold Junior got most of his soft, compassionate side from. Remember when Edna, in possibly her most annoying moment ever, said that Harold Jr. wants people to see him as generous and wise like his father but they "can't see what isn't there"? Oh, boy, was I brassed off at Edna when she said that!

But obviously Edna was proven wrong as the series progressed, and we got to see that Harold was indeed compassionate and wise. Something else I find interesting is that in "The Pilot", Edna says that Harold and his father "never got on" but were "exactly alike". I wonder what that meant. Was Hal Sr. persnickety and uptight like Hal Jr.? Was he as sexy as Hal Jr.? The mystery thickens.

If Sr. was indeed fussy and easily-bothered like Jr., I wonder why Edna and the town got along better with him than Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieScott
Sorry to interrupt, but LemonyPie, just wanted to say I caught up on Parenthood! My heart is so breaking for Julia and Joel right now.
You caught up? Yay! But not so "yay" for Joel and Julia, huh? What do you think of all that? I think Joel has changed fundamentally ever since starting his career, and he has been a first-class jerk to my beloved Julia all season. And now he's saying that she's changed and that he doesn't know who she is anymore?

Quote:
Oh! Tom is back on Parenthood this week!
I know!! I've been looking forward to it! I bet he is going to look quite old, but still hot of course.
HAROLD: I don't know what you mean.
LemonyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
You caught up? Yay! But not so "yay" for Joel and Julia, huh? What do you think of all that? I think Joel has changed fundamentally ever since starting his career, and he has been a first-class jerk to my beloved Julia all season. And now he's saying that she's changed and that he doesn't know who she is anymore?

I know!! I've been looking forward to it! I bet he is going to look quite old, but still hot of course.
I just think it's really sad, and heartbreaking. I like it in one way because it's something that feels very real, and that's always special to see on TV. But of course I also hate it so much for them. They aren't hearing each other at all. I don't think Joel is the only one who is guilty in the situation, but I am mad at him for not listening to Julia and placing all the blame on her. They've both been making mistakes. Julia's interactions with Ed were inappropriate, and she should have told Joel sooner (although he may not have listened). Julia also messed up when she yelled at Joel and Pete. Joel saying the problem is Julia and it is not able to be fixed is so sad to me though. If Joel has been carrying around negative feelings toward Julia and is only bringing them up now, then that is his issue, too! I hope they end up going to counseling! I really wish I could give Julia a hug.

I'm excited to see Dr. Pelikan again, too! Yay. Yes, he looks pretty old in the promo!

Do you think Hank has aspergers?
Old 01-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I totally agree. Although Edna is obviously sarcastic and quick-witted like Harold Jr., I can see Harold Senior being more of a classic intellectual like Harold Jr. I also see Harold Senior as the parent that Harold Junior got most of his soft, compassionate side from. Remember when Edna, in possibly her most annoying moment ever, said that Harold Jr. wants people to see him as generous and wise like his father but they "can't see what isn't there"? Oh, boy, was I brassed off at Edna when she said that!
What season was that? I remember the comment (horrible!) but can't place the season or scene specifically.

Quote:
But obviously Edna was proven wrong as the series progressed, and we got to see that Harold was indeed compassionate and wise. Something else I find interesting is that in "The Pilot", Edna says that Harold and his father "never got on" but were "exactly alike". I wonder what that meant. Was Hal Sr. persnickety and uptight like Hal Jr.? Was he as sexy as Hal Jr.? The mystery thickens.

If Sr. was indeed fussy and easily-bothered like Jr., I wonder why Edna and the town got along better with him than Jr.
That's a terrific question. I really wish we would have gotten Harold Sr/Jr flashbacks or any pure flashback scene of Sr.

I assume Edna was trying to insinuate that they didn't get along because they were alike. But yes, precisely how were they alike is the million dollar question.

The other thing is if Sr. was like Jr. then how on earth did Sr. and Edna work? You would think a Rose personality needed to be around instead of Edna's personality for Sr.

What did you think of the Edna/Harold Jr. dynamic as a whole?
Old 03-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Elite Fan

Tom was on Parenthood again last week `
Old 03-09-2014, 06:34 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieScott (View Post)
Tom was on Parenthood again last week `
Was he? What was the episode about?

I just recently found out that Ray Romano was on that show, too. I love him on Everybody Loves Raymond. Is his character with Lauren's character?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Elite Fan

Ray Romano was with Lauren for a little, but he's still in love with her. Tom has been on the show the last two episodes with Ray actually! Tom still just plays the doctor/therapist.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieScott (View Post)
Ray Romano was with Lauren for a little, but he's still in love with her. Tom has been on the show the last two episodes with Ray actually! Tom still just plays the doctor/therapist.
That's so great. That's a whole lot of talent in one room with Lauren, Ray, and Tom!

Do you like Lauren's character with Ray's character?
Old 03-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Elite Fan

Yes and no. I like their interactions, but she was in a love triangle with him and her longtime boyfriend who I loved.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Is the triangle resolved or will it continue?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:00 AM
Elite Fan

It was resolved, but now ex-boyfriend is coming back to the show. Probably just for an episode though. Lauren's character is almost always confused when it comes to love.
Reply   Post New Thread