Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2006, 12:41 PM
buffyannAlex

The Tom Amandes/ Harold Abbott Appreciation Thread #1

The Tom Amandes/ Harold Abbott Appreciation Thread

Notable Appearances :
Filmography (courtesy of everwoodmusic.com)
  • Bonneville (2006) - Bill
  • Live From Baghdad (2002) (TV) - Joe Erlichman
  • "Everwood" (2002) (TV Series) - Dr. Harold Abbott
  • When Good Ghouls Go Bad (2001) (TV) - James Walker
  • If You Believe (1999) (TV) - Thom Weller
  • Brokedown Palace (1999) - Doug Davis
  • Down Will Come Baby (1999) (TV) - Marcus Garr
  • Billboard Dad (1998) - Maxwell Tyler
  • Second Chances (1998) - Ben Taylor
  • From the Earth to the Moon (1998) (TV Mini)- Astronaut Harrison 'Jack' Schmitt
  • The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996) - Hal
  • "The Pursuit of Happiness" (1995) TV Series - Steve Rutledge
  • If Someone Had Known (1995) (TV)- Paul Chambers
  • Because Mommy Works (1994) (TV) - Eric Donovan
  • "The Untouchables" (1993) TV Series - Eliot Ness
  • Overexposed (1992) (TV) - Asst. D.A. Mallery
  • Straight Talk (1992) - Waiter

Guest Appearances:
  • "Numbers" in episode "Brutus" (episode # 3.10) November 2006
  • "The Guardian" in episode: "The Beginning" (episode # 1.22) 21 May 2002 Dr. Thomas Reed
  • "JAG" in episode: "Enemy Below" (episode # 7.24) 21 May 2002 Cmdr. John Flagler
  • "The Guardian" in episode: "Home" (episode # 1.11) 18 December 2001 Dr. Thomas Reed
  • "The Guardian" in episode: "Reunion" (episode # 1.2) 2 October 2001 Dr. Thomas Reed
  • "The Guardian" in episode: Pilot" (episode # 1.1) 25 September 2001 Dr. Thomas Reed
  • "Spin City" in episode: "A Tree Falls in Manhattan" (episode # 6.2) 18 September 2001 Wheeler
  • "JAG" in episode: "The Iron Coffin" (episode # 6.15) 20 February 2001 Cmdr. John Flagler
  • "NYPD Blue" in episode: "Writing Wrongs" (episode # 8.6) 13 February 2001 David Jessup
  • "The Practice" in episode: "Appeal and Denial" (episode # 5.4) 29 October 2000 Robert Wakefield
  • "Family Law" in episode: "One Mistake" (episode # 2.2) 9 October 2000 Lawrence Cameron
  • "The King of Queens" in episode: "Roast Chicken" (episode # 3.2) 9 October 2000 Les Fisker
  • "JAG" in episode: "Silent Service" (episode # 4.16) 23 February 1999 Cmdr. John Flagler
  • "Just Shoot Me!" in episode: "Lies & Dolls" (episode # 3.13) 2 February 1999 Matt Bentley
  • "ER" in episode: "The Miracle Worker" (episode # 5.10) 17 December 1998 David Gardner
  • "Seven Days" in episode: "Doppleganger: Part 2" (episode # 1.7) 11 November 1998 General Wayne Starker
  • "Seven Days" in episode: "Doppleganger: Part 1" (episode # 1.6) 4 November 1998 General Wayne Starker
  • "The Larry Sanders Show" in episode: "Beverly's Secret" (episode # 6.7) 26 April 1998 Russ Schmitt
  • "Promised Land" in episode: "Mooster's Revenge" (episode # 2.5) 23 October 1997 Fred Mooster
  • "Promised Land" in episode: "The Hostage" (episode # 1.5) 8 October 1996 Fred Mooster
  • "Sisters" in episode: "Word of Honor" (episode # 5.20) 8 April 1995 Martin
  • "Sisters" in episode: "Sleeping with the Devil" (episode # 5.18) 4 March 1995 Martin
  • "Roseanne" in episode: "Maybe Baby" (episode # 7.11) 30 November 1994 Doctor
  • "Murphy Brown" in episode: "Where Have You Gone, Joe DiMaggio?" David Wofford
  • "Sable" in episode: "Hunt" (episode # 1.2) 14 November 1987 Unknown
Director Filmography
  • "Everwood" (2 episodes, 2005)
    - Connect Four (2005) TV Episode
    - Surprise (2005) TV Episode

Clips of Tom Amandes

Tom Amandes scene in Numbers (November 2006)

Old 12-01-2006, 12:44 PM
buffyannAlex

I decided too create this thread since I couldn't believe we didn't have one !!!

I uploaded the scene of Numbers where Tom Amandes guest stared in last week if you guys didn't see it (in first post).

I think we could discuss many things regarding Tom and his performances on Everwood.
OI've always been a fan of his big heartbreaking mononogue and I thought we could begin by this :

Which Harold Abbott speach do you remember the most and why ?

Old 12-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

You rock for thinking to create this thread, Alex. It looks wonderful, everything you've included. Thanks soooooooooo much for doing this. Amazing.

I'll think about your question and come back. I'm currently rewatching season 2 and there's some incredible Harold stuff in that season (along with every season) so I'll think about my answer and come back then.

Thanks again for creating this thread. Can't thank you enough.

Last edited by jediwands; 12-01-2006 at 01:01 PM
Old 12-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Master Fan

Your so awesome, Alex! You really are! I love the banners you create for this board

I am too surprised we had not had one of these threads previously.

Odd.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Master Fan

Srsly! You should be a 3rd mod here, Alex!

Thanks for this thread!

I tend to be more interested in a storylines of the characters which are more my age but with Everwood it's definitely not the case! Every single character is amazing (ok, there are few exceptions ) and Harold Abbott is leading the amazingness! Srsrly! I adore him and his sense of humour is just one of a kind. Plus he represented some pretty great qualities as a husband, father, son. Although he sure made some mistakes (we all do) he really was someone we could look up too. Tom really did an outstanding job! Bravo!
Old 12-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Alex is amazing. As I continue to look at the creation of this thread and all that went into it I'm just absolutely astounded. I'm floored.

Okay, speeches... Hmm..

Quote:

DR. ABBOTT: Turns into what?
DR. BROWN: Turns into what I saw in there today. Trust me, Harold, this is the right thing to do.
[Dr. Brown sits down in a chair in front of Dr. Abbott’s desk.]
DR. ABBOTT: It may have been. If you came to me two months ago and asked my opinion, I-I might have told you to tell Ephram the truth or I might not’ve. I don’t know. I can’t imagine how you’ve handled it these last two months let alone these last two years all by yourself.
DR. BROWN: Where are you going with this?
DR. ABBOTT: The fact is you don’t have to figure this one out on your own. You’ve brought me into it, so allow me to be here for you now and to aid you in this decision. Do not tell Ephram.
DR. BROWN: Harold…
DR. ABBOTT: This isn’t for only Amy’s sake. Although, naturally that is my concern. The fact is you can’t undo what you did. Telling Ephram now isn’t gonna make this any better for him - only be better for you.
DR. BROWN: That’s not what this is about?
DR. ABBOTT: You wanted your boy to have a chance at a normal childhood – an opportunity to be happy. Well, that’s a very real possibility for him right now. They’re in love.
DR. BROWN: Well, that may well be true, but nonetheless.
DR. ABBOTT: No, it’s more than that. It’s remarkable. The fact that after everything they’ve endured that they’ve managed to salvage any hope at all. Allow them this brief period of time to enjoy their youth – the innocence that should come along with it. Lord knows they deserve it.
DR. BROWN: You know that Madison could come back at any time or call.
DR. ABBOTT: You can’t control that. What you can control is what you do today right now. Start over with Ephram. Make a clean slate of it. Don’t let this one incident with Madison prevent you from doing that.
[They sit and look at each other.]
This speech is obviously VERY significant because who knows, if Harold might not have given Andy this advice, Andy could have told Ephram everything but Harold's words obviously registered with Andy and he went with the continued decision not to say anything.

Thing is, I'm not even sure if what Harold said was the right advice or not, who knows, but I always put this particular Harold speech as one of, if not, the most significant one he has ever given throughout the entire series.

And no matter what, one thing I do love is how Harold was a big fan of Ephram/Amy and his words say as much. He was speaking from the heart as he was extremely happy that Ephram/Amy found a way to be together. He recognized how deeply in love they truly were and he knew that they needed to be together and with that, maybe that was the guiding force driving him to convince Andy to not say anything.

So yeah, this was a profound speech by Harold, no doubt about it.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Master Fan

Great thread to one of the greatest actors on Everwood. Which is tied with like everyone on the show, but that just speaks to how amazing everyone on Everwood is. I've never gotten to see him in anything outside of Everwood, other than Numbers which barely even counts (why must you waste Tom Amandes, Numbers, why?), and he just deserves something amazing after his work on Everwood. He's just too good not to get a show of his own, or have some huge role in one or a movie. I really miss that voice more than anything; so unique and so great for comedy, and even better for the drama. If he's not getting tons and tons of offers, than Hollywood is a bunch idiots..well, moreso than most of us thought.

Okay, so I ranted. I just like him is all.

buffyannAlex , would you mind if I linked to this thread on another Everwood board, because I know some were not able to watch his appearance on Numbers . If not, that's cool too.

Hmm, speeches..how about them all? Well, if I haaaave to pick one, the one that always comes to mind is the one from Episode 20:

Quote:
DR. ABBOTT: Well, it's an impossible dilemma. No right answer. My father lived through the times when women either couldn't get abortions or had to go out of state, out of country...get some botched attempt, try to do it themselves. Oh, he would tell me stores of women coming to him cut, bruised, infected, traumatized, sterile...worse. He said that every town had a secret life, that there was someone in every community who knew people who knew would help. And in this town, that person was my father. So when I came here to join his practice, he told me that it would be on one condition. That he never wanted those horrific things to happen to women again. Not on his watch, and not on mine.

DR. BROWN: But you were so adamant when I came to you.

DR. ABBOTT: I don't do this when I don't have to. It's hard enough when I do. And I'm terrified every time I think of what could happen to my kids and to my wife. That's why I was trying to protect you. Your children, they only have one parent left. [sighs] Anyway, I...

[Dr. Abbott stands.]

DR. ABBOTT: (CONT'D) I felt sure that in the end, you would do it. Commie pinko, you are.

[Dr. Brown smiles.]

DR. ABBOTT: (CONT'D) Who would have thought?

[Beat.]

DR. BROWN: I have known a lot of good doctors in my life but...

DR. ABBOTT: Dont...Don't ascribe some altruistic grand political motives to me, doctor. I'm not that kind of man. I made an oath, not to some political cause, but to my father.
His love and devotion and connection with his father has always been something I've loved about him the most, especially his connection with Bright and Amy, which I think he tries so hard with them and he's SUCH a great Dad because while he had a bond with his father, it wasn't as amazing as his bond with Amy and Bright. Anyway, I just think his reasons for doing the abortion, how it even goes against his beliefs, are so great. It's for his father. That's just such pure devotion there. Plus, the "commie pinko" always cracks me up and it's SO Harold, where even with something so serious and controversial, he'll still take a special moment to take a shot at Andy.

I'm not sure if that's even the best one, I'll have to watch a lot of season two and season three which I don't remember when they start on Vision TV, but I also loved his speech to God, when Rose is in surgery. SO powerful, and it makes me bawl every single time.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 12-03-2006, 11:37 PM
buffyannAlex

Tos, no problem, you can do that for sure.
I'm also disapointed but Numbers, I think most of his performance was cut. i don't know, this actor is just tremendously talented and I wish he could have more recognition.

Anyway, Michelle and Tos, I love both your take on his speeches.

The one in "There's a reaction" is very significant, for sure. He totally changed Andy's mind in there. I think he was trying to make Andy remember why he hide the truth from Ephram in the first place. To protect him from getting hurt.
He wanted to let Ephram grow without dealing with this. What Harold says is a total parallel to the speech Andy gave to Madison.
But I adore Harold's performance in this one, Like, in some way, his love for his daughter is just more important that the right thing to do.
I love he's talking about their love and how it's remarkable that they could be happy after everything that happened. Beautiful speech.

The one in Episode 20 is also fantastic. I think this is my favourite episode ever regarding a medical storyline. I think it was extremmely well written and heartbreaking. And this speech was beautiful because Harold let his "flaw" or weakness out in the open. Just beautiful.

One of my favourite speech is the one at Irv's funeral in Goodbye Love.
I don't know why this speech, maybe it's because this episode was amazing and we knew the show was ending but it kinda broke my heart. I think it's extremmely well written and beautiful and only Tom Amamdes could pull this off without sounding lame or cheesy.

Quote:
"Irv was amongst the rarest of mens, in both his integrity and his warmth. And those of us who knew him can count ourselves amongst the luckiest. Irv was above everything else a storyteller. So I thought it'd be appropriate to begin today's eulogy with my favorite story about Irv. (...)
I've been wrong many many time sin my life. But I've never been more wrong than in my estimation of Irv and Edna Harper's affectioon for each other. There was nothing temporary about it. The love that they shared was a living example of god's grace on this earth.
As for Irv himself. He called Everwood his home for long enough to change us all. But still, far too short of time. And so today we bid him farewell. With heavy heart and with weary souls. He was husband, father, grand father. Friend to us all. He will be missed. May he rest in piece."

Old 12-10-2006, 01:28 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
The one in "There's a reaction" is very significant, for sure. He totally changed Andy's mind in there.
He really did because Andy seemed determined to tell Ephram before hearing Harold's words. Andy pretty much had his mind made up he was telling Ephram but then he completely did a 180 and switched gears going with the decision not to tell him after listening to what Harold had to say. Harold really did directly impact Andy's decision.

Quote:
I think he was trying to make Andy remember why he hide the truth from Ephram in the first place. To protect him from getting hurt.
He wanted to let Ephram grow without dealing with this. What Harold says is a total parallel to the speech Andy gave to Madison.
Yep, great catch, it was a parallel to Andy's speech he gave Madison which obviously means Berlanti and Rina wanted to hit home Andy's reasoning in a clear cut way.

Quote:
But I adore Harold's performance in this one, Like, in some way, his love for his daughter is just more important that the right thing to do.
I love he's talking about their love and how it's remarkable that they could be happy after everything that happened. Beautiful speech.
God it really was. What I love so much about his speech and how beautifully he supported EA was that initially he was cautious about Ephram whenever he first met him, especially given that he was liberal Andy Browns son. LOL It was just remarkable that not only did Harold accept Ephram but he fully supported EA and understood that they were the real deal. He was totally reminded of this around the time that he went to see Ephram whenever trying to get Amy to consider Princeton. I just love how Harold knew EA were meant to be together and that their love was real. That was awesome.

Quote:
The one in Episode 20 is also fantastic. I think this is my favourite episode ever regarding a medical storyline. I think it was extremmely well written and heartbreaking. And this speech was beautiful because Harold let his "flaw" or weakness out in the open. Just beautiful.
What an incredibly tough situation Harold was in. The dramatics were overflowing and seeing Harold's struggle throughout was something else. Tom acted the hell out of every scene, he just blew me away. Such great stuff.

Quote:
One of my favourite speech is the one at Irv's funeral in Goodbye Love.
Great one. I love this speech so much. Harold doing the speech made it that much more precious given how initially he had reservations over his mother moving on with Irv so quickly after his fathers death and yet not only did Harold accept Irv but he truly liked him. That was so great to see.

Quote:
I don't know why this speech, maybe it's because this episode was amazing and we knew the show was ending but it kinda broke my heart. I think it's extremmely well written and beautiful and only Tom Amamdes could pull this off without sounding lame or cheesy.
You said it, Alex. He pulled it off perfectly. To see how profound his words were on those listening to him was something else. They were all hanging on his every word and some were moved to tears. Such brilliant stuff. Loved this speech, loved this moment, loved this episode.

Last edited by jediwands; 12-10-2006 at 01:36 AM
Old 03-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Master Fan

Tom Amandes in a new play:

Quote:
Chicago actor Tom Amandes, a veteran of the city's Off-Loop stage scene who is widely known for playing salty Dr. Harold Abbott on the TV series "Everwood," will return to the Windy City to star in Cynical Weathers, a new political drama by Douglas Post, at Victory Gardens Theater.

The world premiere run begins April 6 (opening April 16) at VGT's new home at the Biograph Theater.

Under the direction of VGT artistic director Dennis Zacek, Amandes will originate the role of Congressman Dixon McDaniels, "a moderate Texas Republican caught in the crossfire between his liberal wife Cat, who is an atmospheric scientist studying global warming, and his conservative chief of staff, an evangelical and believer in the end times."

According to production notes, "Over the course of a weekend, the congressman and his wife grapple with deep-seated ideological differences brought to head by an energy bill he is attempting to push through Congress. Meanwhile, a category five hurricane is looming off the Gulf Coast, threatening to wreak havoc on the McDaniels' beachfront estate, the surrounding terrain, and the congressman's shifting political agenda."

Cynical Weathers also features Bethanny Alexander (as Cat McDaniels), Tony Castillo (as Manny Hernandez), Ben Brooks Cohen (as Lee Gelman), and Lindsay Gould (as Andrea Brady).

Designers are Samuel Ball (set), Judith Lundberg (costumes), Patrick Chan (lights) and Andre Pluess (sound). Production stage manager is Tina Jach.

After growing up in Richmond and Crystal Lake, as the sixth of 11 children, Tom Amandes graduated from the Goodman School of Drama, now The Theater School, at DePaul University. He began his acting career as an ensemble member of the Body Politic Theater, performing in such productions as Translations (his 1982 debut), The Playboy of the Western World and Falstaff and Hal. Other notable Chicago theatre includes Candida, What the Butler Saw, The Mystery Cycle at Court, Free Advice from Prague and The Courtship of Carl Sandburg at Northlight, and Working Magic at Victory Gardens. His best-known television roles include Eliot Ness in "The Untouchables," astronaut Jack Schmitt in "From the Earth to the Moon" and salty Dr. Harold Abbott in "Everwood." He has three children and is married to actress Nancy Everhard, who he met when she was cast as his wife Katherine Ness on "The Untouchables." She played Sharon Hart on "Everwood." They reside in Park City, UT.

Douglas Post's plays include Blissfield, Somebody Foreign, Forty-Two Stories, Drowning Sorrows, Personal Effects, Earth and Sky, Suffering Fools and Murder in Green Meadows as well as the musicals God and Country, The Real Life Story of Johnny De Facto and The Wind in the Willows.

Performances of Cynical Weathers will continue to May 13.
Playbill News: "Everwood" Doc to Star in Victory Gardens Premiere Cynical Weathers

I wish he could come back to television in a huge role, but honestly, I only trust Berlanti to use him right, but I really hope he gets a great role one of these days because he deserves SO much success.

macci, I think you're near Chicago?
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 03-16-2007, 04:26 PM
buffyannAlex

I was coming to post that I think that's cool that he's getting a new gig but I do agree I'd like to see him on TV more. This guy is huge. if only people would let him...

Old 03-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
macci, I think you're near Chicago?

Well, 'Tos, I'm actually in the big, bad city. While I'd love to see Tom and the play sounds interesting, I probably won't be able to. But, maybe I'll have a Harold sighting somewhere. After all, Chicago isn't really that big.

OT: The Victory Gardens Theater just recently moved into the Biograph Theater. Extra bonus points go to whoever can tell us what the Biograph is most famous for.

Last edited by macci1; 03-16-2007 at 05:23 PM
Old 03-17-2007, 07:52 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
I wish he could come back to television in a huge role, but honestly, I only trust Berlanti to use him right, but I really hope he gets a great role one of these days because he deserves SO much success.
Well said. Hopefully Berlanti gets him back on the screen in one of his shows in the future. He's such a unique actor and his talent is so worth seeing. He's the perfect fit on the small screen, playing a character on a high quality show. I hope it transpires in the future.

Regarding Chicago, it's a fantastic city. I've been there many times. I'm not too far from Chicago whether I'm based in Minneapolis or Cleveland, both are roughly 5 1/2 to 6 hours from Chicago with Cleveland being slightly closer. If I had the time I might have made the trip. Seeing Tom and the awesome city of Chicago again would have been well worth it.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Dedicated Fan

Tom Amandes was on the Dean Richards show on WGN Radio this morning. (Besides his Sunday morning show on the radio Dean is an entertainment reporter/critic for WGN Radio and TV.) I missed some of what was said because my grandson was busy being a 3-year-old.

They talked about the play Tom is doing for Victory Gardens Theater here in Chicago. Tom feels like he has come home because he attended the Theater School at DePaul, which is in the Lincoln Park area near the Biograph Theater, where Victory Gardens is headquartered.

Tom said his parents were from the north side of Chicago, but he was born and raised in Richmond, IL, which is walking distance to Wisconsin. He said that he and his siblings were always seen as city kids, though, and that he felt right at home when he came to the city to attend DPU. He did a lot of theater in Chicago and when he went to LA to audition for Paramount for The Untouchables the fact that he was a Chicago theater actor was a big plus. I think he said he originally tried out for a much smaller role than the Eliot Ness one he eventually got.

Dean asked what happened to Everwood. He called it a CW show and Tom corrected him that it was a WB show that the CW didn't want. Dean said he didn't understand that as he thought EW was doing well and would continue to do so for the CW. Tom pointed out that it was Dawn Ostroff's decision. (Yes, he actually mentioned the horrible woman.) He said she felt that EW "wasn't skewing young enough." The problem was that it had a multi-generational cast, which Tom thought was its strong suit and Dean agreed. But this "was seen as a negative."

Sometimes Dean interviews the same people for the WGN TV morning or noon news that he has had on his radio show. I haven't been able to find out if this is going to happen with Tom. But I know WGN is a "superstation" which many people get with their cable, so you might want to check this out.

(The answer to my bonus points question above is that John Dillinger was shot down outside the Biograph after attending a show there.)
Old 04-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Master Fan

I went and cheated, so I didn't think I should have answered.

Quote:
Dean asked what happened to Everwood. He called it a CW show and Tom corrected him that it was a WB show that the CW didn't want. Dean said he didn't understand that as he thought EW was doing well and would continue to do so for the CW. Tom pointed out that it was Dawn Ostroff's decision. (Yes, he actually mentioned the horrible woman.) He said she felt that EW "wasn't skewing young enough." The problem was that it had a multi-generational cast, which Tom thought was its strong suit and Dean agreed. But this "was seen as a negative."
Argh, so bloody frustrating. Almost every single one of the hits on television try to reach more than just one audience, whether it's different ages or not, and the CW can't seem to grasp that by trying to make their shows only reach one audience.

Thanks a lot for that, macci . If you see any reviews of the play when it starts up, I'd be interested in hearing how it and especially Tom is being received. Which I'm sure will be really well.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread