Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Master Fan

Luck
Went to find the article you posted that quote from just to make sure my assumptions werent wrong and in same article Luck says this :
Quote:
In an interview with the Indianapolis Star, when asked about possibly being drafted No. 1 overall by the Colts, Luck said "you don't ever replace someone like Peyton Manning."

"From what I understand, he means so much to this city. Not just for the football stuff, but what he's done off the field," he told the newspaper. "Obviously he's a great guy from a great family. You don't ever replace guys like that."
Thats ^^^ what I was saying Luck isnt being pretentious he knows that he isnt going to replace Peyton he is just saying he wants to play right away....who doesnt want to play right away.

Crazed Parents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
I think some parents (like the dad above) have personality issues...huge tempers! I hope that we would have more self control!
Yeah and I think some parents just lose site of the fact its their kids lives...its their game and instead are trying to relive their glory days through their kids. This in turn makes them into these crazy competitive overbearing parents that don't know when to stop.

Last edited by cowgirl08; 02-02-2012 at 01:31 PM
Old 02-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Loyal Fan

Can it be Sunday already?
Old 02-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Elite Fan

Luck

It doesn't rub me the wrong way because he's being honest. Personally, I think he's more talented than Andy Dalton, and Dalton came in and would probably have been rookie of the year if it wasn't for Cam Newton (another rookie). Seeing those guys do it that quickly has to add to his desire to play right off the bat.

Durant

I have a problem with what he said because I don't think he's being honest. He basically said that it wasn't that good of a dunk, and that if someone on his team had done it no one would care. That's just patently untrue. Everyone went nuts about his dunk on Brendan Haywood last year in the playoffs. If he'd just been defending his teammate without putting down the awesomeness of the play, then I'd have had no problem with it. As it is, it kinda sounds crybaby-ish.

Griffin

Quote:
That's great. Do you think he could have gone one only and still received a good draft pick or was two about right on?
Well, the top five picks of 2008 (which would have been when Griffin was in the draft if he came out a year earlier) went like this:

1. Derrick Rose
2. Michael Beasley
3. OJ Mayo
4. Russell Westbrook
5. Kevin Love

Now, after Griffin's freshman season he was getting accolades. He was on the All Big XII rookie team and all Big XII team. He was expected to be a lottery pick, but I doubt he's have pushed Rose off the mountaintop. He may not have even been able to knock Beasley out of the 2 spot, considering how much people liked him back then. Contrast that with his sophomore season, where he became the only player in OU history to win all six major player of the year awards and he was the Big XII player of the year, the SI player of the year, the FOX Sports player of the year, and the Sporting News player of the year. That all led to a top 5 that looked like this in 2009.

1. Blake Griffin
2. Hasheem Thabeet
3. James Harden
4. Tyreke Evans
5. Ricky Rubio

On one hand, I kinda wish he had come out after his first season, because there's a good chance that he'd have fallen to OKC at 4, and although Westbrook is a good player, there's no way they'd pass up the chance to bring in a hometown boy at that pick. On the other hand, if he hadn't had that extra year of seasoning in the college ranks, he may not have turned out as good as he is now, so it's probably better that he stayed.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Master Fan

Luck
Agreed Alan, he has talent and he is confident in that theres nothing wrong with that in fact its encouraged. Confidence is good just dont let it turn into cockyness which is something that I dont think we have to worry about with Luck.

Durant
See everything in me screams to take that route and hate him for it too....I cant stand his wronghorn ties afterall....but I dig the loyalty. The interview i saw with it he said something along the lines of "yeah if it wasnt against us I probably would have gotten excited over it but since it hurt our team im not going to celebrate it" so yeah part of it may be a little cry babyish but the reasoning behind it is something that rare in the NBA and thats why the Thunder are so good this year they have that team unity.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Elite Fan

The quote I read was this one:
Quote:
"I have no appreciation for it at all. It was a layup, I think. He threw the ball in and got fouled and made his free throw, so it was three points at the end of the day, no matter how it happened, how it went in the basket. I really wasn't impressed. He finished it. So what? We've moved on."
To me, that's downgrading the play and disrespecting Griffin. He did backpedal somewhat and say that he would probably have appreciated it if it hadn't been against his team. I'd have been fine with him saying that, but the original quote was ludicrous.

P.S. Griffin would've had a similar dunk against Durant earlier in that game, but Durant just moved out of the way instead of challenging the shot.

I said Durant was being crybaby-ish because of this quote:
Quote:
"I knew that one wasn't going to get attention because we never get attention like that," he said. "We're not an L.A. team or a Chicago team or a Miami team. So all our plays get thrown under the radar."
First of all, his dunk over Haywood was frequently called 'the best dunk of the playoffs,' and second I'm always seeing Westbrook to Durant (and vice versa) plays on Sportscenter. Maybe the Thunder aren't as featured as the Lakers or Chicago or Miami, but that's how it is for an upstart team. They are well on their way to establishing themselves as a perennial contender, and in my eyes they are at least close to being on par with the Bulls, but it's just the nature of being in a small market to be farther down the line when it comes to respect.

Oh, for the record, I'm more in agreement with an agreed upon dunk master, Vince Carter, and his thoughts on the play:

Quote:
"That just shows the true athlete that he is. I look at and analyze things different. You got to think about the body control and what it takes to really, not only to just do that, but the impact you take from Kendrick Perkins, first of all, is a lot. For you to still have the body control to finish is second to none, because there's not a lot of people that can really do that."
Old 02-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Master Fan

Durant

This is the quote Im referring too all from same article:
Quote:
"He dunks the ball a lot and makes spectacular plays. If it wasn't against us, maybe I'd say it was a good play, but it was against us, so it was a bad play. I have nothing against Blake, don't get me wrong. But it was against us, so I've got to stick up for my teammate."
So I respect his stance on this ^^ But I do agree him whining about the Thunder not getting the media attention they deserve is being a cry baby and its annoying. The Thunder are a good team probably the best of season so far but OKC isnt a big market so they just have to deal with that....last time I heard him talk about it he liked being in a smaller market because he got to stay out of the lime light. Now he is whining about it, just pick a side!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Luck

Thanks for showing me the entire article. I actually took that from a few highlighted quotes. Media manipulation I tell you! LOL.

Something about that situation still bothers me and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe I just have such respect for Peyton Manning that I am bothered that he might be chucked out even if that's technically not how it will go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Yes, perhaps class was involved and also ethnicity. Many of the teams that my boys played were from Northern Jersey towns that had large immigrant populations. These kids were either sons of immigrants or immigrants themselves. The City of Newark has a area called the "Ironbound District". It is made up of a huge Portugese population. (great restaurants!!). Their players were fantastic (part of their culture)..but we held our own against them.
Anyway....this one particular dad from our team didn't like the way this one Ironbound kid was contantly fouling his son. The ref was not calling it and this dad got so frustrated that at the end of the match...ran up to the field and physical grabbed this player! The other dads and the ref had to physically pull him away!
Wow! That is so insane.

Very interesting about your situation in Northern Jersey. Yes, we didn't have that in Ohio/Minnesota. White, white white middle to upper class, even now!

I know it can be rabid in any sport but in my experience, it's soccer the most. It was a pleasure playing basketball. The parents were so down to earth, I LOVED EVERYONE on my teams, it was the best. I also remember talking to a teammate/friend (African American) asking her why she didn't take up soccer because her athletic ability was phenomenal. She told me her family couldn't afford it... she said it was okay because basketball was the sport that would give her a scholarship and she was right on! She got a full ride and had a phenomenal career.

Quote:
I think some parents (like the dad above) have personality issues...huge tempers! I hope that we would have more self control!
My sister was good friends with one of the mom's on Anna's team. She was new, her girl just made the team last night. Now? Kris can't stand her! Her head is as full as a stuffed turkey, she is loud, arrogant, carrying on constantly both on and off the field. Kris hangs with the more down to earth mom's who happen to be the mother's of the daughter's Anna hangs with. LOL
Old 02-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
My sister was good friends with one of the mom's on Anna's team. She was new, her girl just made the team last night. Now? Kris can't stand her! Her head is as full as a stuffed turkey, she is loud, arrogant, carrying on constantly both on and off the field. Kris hangs with the more down to earth mom's who happen to be the mother's of the daughter's Anna hangs with. LOL
There are definitely parents like that! They are loud, opinionated...even knock other kids on the team. I hate that!

Clint and his beautiful family....

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/Ne...pseyDiary.aspx

ETA: http://www.mlssoccer.com/blog/post/2...-marches-egypt

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 02-03-2012 at 11:05 AM
Old 02-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen
Thanks for showing me the entire article. I actually took that from a few highlighted quotes. Media manipulation I tell you!
Yep that's why I never trust quotes without seeing the full article. People will try and skew words into anything they can that will get attention.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Definitely.

Still, something bothers me like I said. I have seen Luck in interviews and feel a little put off. I have to stop that though because I haven't seen enough to really know what I think of him personally. I just find it completely ridiculous that everyone is crowning him as the next King when he hasn't played even a down of pro football yet. Look at Aikman, Elway, Montana... all the great QBs... they were crap initially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
There are definitely parents like that! They are loud, opinionated...even knock other kids on the team. I hate that!
It is really annoying. My sister and Anna roomed with that mom and daughter during the first tournament last season in Iowa. They all got along great. But then as the months progressed, both the mother and daughter developed chips in their shoulders and slowly Kris and Anna pulled away. Anna even has homeroom with the girl. Her name is Kennedy. They barely speak. Hi and that's about it.

Quote:
Clint and his beautiful family....

Family Life
Awe! Both children has his startling eyes.

I completely agree with this poster:

Quote:
Regardless of how you felt about his tenure with the USMNT, you can't help but have respect for the guy. He moves to a dangerous country in the midst of a borderline civil war. A country where Americans aren't the most loved people and he sticks out like a sore thumb. Yet he goes there, and he marches with the people, and he remains committed to bringing that team to the World Cup. Really glad he's safe, hope that remains the case. I feel awful for Michael Bradley right now, if that was my father I'd be too nervous to function. Yet he came out today and helped lead Chievo to a 2-1 victory. Some family.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Master Fan

Oh I more than agree its ridiculous everyone is crowning him the next king but I dont blame that on him I blame it on the media. Its ridiculous to assume a kid will turn into the next great thing just based on talent any sports buffs in here remember Todd Marinovich? ALL the talent in the world but so much more comes into play to determine if success will be sustainable. The reason I like Luck is one he went to Stanford not really a football school but he went there because he believed in its tradition and what it stands for academically. And two because he stayed to graduate he EASILY could have come out last year and been a first round pick but instead he stayed in school one more year to get that degree. The kid from all the things I have seen is more than humble and just loves the game, the fact he believes he can start day one isnt being cocky its being confident.

Josh Hamilton
Sad to hear about his relapse but as a Rangers fan I will stick behind him my prayers go out to him and his family, they don't call it an addiction because its easy.

Last edited by cowgirl08; 02-03-2012 at 04:10 PM
Old 02-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl08 (View Post)
Oh I more than agree its ridiculous everyone is crowning him the next king but I dont blame that on him I blame it on the media. Its ridiculous to assume a kid will turn into the next great thing just based on talent any sports buffs in here remember Todd Marinovich? ALL the talent in the world but so much more comes into play to determine if success will be sustainable. The reason I like Luck is one he went to Stanford not really a football school but he went there because he believed in its tradition and what it stands for academically. And two because he stayed to graduate he EASILY could have come out last year and been a first round pick but instead he stayed in school one more year to get that degree. The kid from all the things I have seen is more than humble and just loves the game, the fact he believes he can start day one isnt being cocky its being confident.
Yes, you're right. And good point about how he stayed for the degree. That is very true. The guy has to be smart and with it going to Stanford probably more for academics than sports, and he excelled in both.

Yes, Ryan Leaf, look at him, too.

I love how Tebow is kind of the anti-Luck though. So many laughing at him before he even stepped on the pro football field thinking he could never make it. He had his followers but more of an emotional following with large belief his heart would get him to succeed. Talent wise, skill wise, analyzers laughed at him. He wasn't king, he was considered a fool! Look at what he did. Outstanding.

Josh Hamilton

Quote:
Sad to hear about his relapse but as a Rangers fan I will stick behind him my prayers go out to him and his family, they don't call it an addiction because its easy.
Absolutely. His press conference was heartfelt and real. You could tell how torn up he is. He has a real addiction and one that he battles daily. He'll get through it.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Elite Fan

It's sad to me that something that should be private necessitates a press conference and warrants newspaper headlines.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Oh, I know it. The media is blowing it up.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
Yes, you're right. And good point about how he stayed for the degree. That is very true. The guy has to be smart and with it going to Stanford probably more for academics than sports, and he excelled in both.

Yes, Ryan Leaf, look at him, too.

I love how Tebow is kind of the anti-Luck though. So many laughing at him before he even stepped on the pro football field thinking he could never make it. He had his followers but more of an emotional following with large belief his heart would get him to succeed. Talent wise, skill wise, analyzers laughed at him. He wasn't king, he was considered a fool! Look at what he did. Outstanding.
Well to be fair Tebow won two National Championships and a Heisman none of which Luck won....sooooo I think the people who believed in Tebow(myself including) believed in more than his heart. He had talent and he showed that he just wasnt a conventional pro style QB like Luck is which is why he gets all the pub. But yes Tebow is an example that pro scouts sometimes get to caught up on the measurables and when a kid like Luck comes out with A+ scores in all areas they get overly excited. And before people lose it on me YES Luck has better QB skills than Tebow he is more accurate and seems to have a stronger arm but as we have seen in the past Talent isnt all you need to suceed. I wish Luck the best but I am not anointing him the next great one just yet.

Hamilton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
It's sad to me that something that should be private necessitates a press conference and warrants newspaper headlines.
AMEN!