Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Sports #37:Because Talking Sports Can Be As Much Fun As Playing Sports!

Thanks Alex!

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 12-29-2010 at 07:06 AM
Old 12-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I wanted to get the new thread up and once we talk about it we can add the title.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the thread even if u are blind
Old 12-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby
Thanks for the thread even if u are blind
Yes I am!

See how my multi-tasking works? It doesn't, heh.

Texas Football

Quote:
Yeah exactly yall have hockey we have Football. It might not be as crazy as us down here but that is probably a good thing for yalls sanity.
Alex is so intrigued by the football culture down south and American sports culture as a whole. She even asked me a few questions about it today... it was really cute... she wondered today if cheerleaders wore their uniforms around town and not just to actually cheer. She saw that on a TV program and wondered if it was exaggerated or not. She also wondered since I played varsity soccer and basketball every year I was in high school if I wore my jerseys or some kind of team clothing to classes and around town. I answered for what I did but was quick to say that could be different for the south since sometimes we are two separate countries. LOL.

Quote:
Its definately a must for any Texas tourist, that and mexican food.
Awesome.

Quote:
Yes I did that guy that moved to Oregon ...that was for football. As far as my experience dating him what do you mean? Like the fact I was dating a football player?
Yes. LOL. I just wondered if jocks dated other jocks and how all that worked and what kind of personality a football player is known to have... you know how rodeo dudes have different types of personalities and all of that, heh.

Quote:
How bout something in honor of 2010...

What a year it was; Vick earns redemption, Underdogs become MLB elite, UCONN beats the Legend, and Spain conquer the Vuvuzelas at the World Cup.

thats kinda long and might not cover everything so throw in whatever
I like it!

Lets shorten it so I know exactly what to say since I'm me and rather have it settled before I attempt it on my own. LOL.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Wow....I missed this! A new thread already. Thanks for the new thread, Michelle.

Thanks for the info on Man U. Darn!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I know! That tie was huge.

Any input on a title, Betty?
Old 12-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
I know! That tie was huge.

Any input on a title, Betty?
I'm bad with titles. I don't mind the old one.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

my title suggestion for this thread...

Because Talking about the Sport Can Be Just as Fun As Playing The Sport
patricia
Old 12-29-2010, 06:42 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
she wondered today if cheerleaders wore their uniforms around town and not just to actually cheer.
I don't know about how it is in Texas, but in my town cheerleaders wear their uniforms to school and around town on game days, and to fundraisers and stuff, but they don't usually just walk around town in them a lot.

Vikings

Well, Michelle, what'd you think of your boy Webb? I thought he played great, and the Vikings as a whole played a nice game too.

Fun Fact: LaMichael James, Oregon's excellent running back, attended Idabel High school for a brief time before transferring to Texarkana (a town about 50 miles from here) before becoming a Duck...at least that's my understanding.
Jake: Cold-blooded but fair.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I don't know about how it is in Texas, but in my town cheerleaders wear their uniforms to school and around town on game days, and to fundraisers and stuff, but they don't usually just walk around town in them a lot.
I think it's like that in most towns. Even Middle Schools kids wear their football Jerseys and Cheerleading uniforms to school on game days where I live.

Soccer:

Cute article...

Christmas Special: Gift Ideas For American Players - Goal.com

Did you guys see this? Check out #1.

YouTube - SportsCenter's Top Plays of 2010 on ESPN - Top 10 Plays of the year

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 12-29-2010 at 08:35 AM
Old 12-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
I think it's like that in most towns. Even Middle Schools kids wear their football Jerseys and Cheerleading uniforms to school on game days where I live.
Yes like I told her that is what I did as well in both soccer and basketball. We had a lot of Friday night basketball games for instance so as a team we would decide on what to wear to school for Friday... sometimes it was like a warm up outfit or a sweatshirt with our logo on it. Same thing with soccer. Especially on very important game days. The cheerleaders and danceline did the same exact thing you guys are explaining.

Thanks you guys for your input. Alex will also really appreciate it. LOL. I cannot emphasize enough how interested she is in this. She is also very interested in college and how we wear tons of college clothing such as sweatshirts and hats. It's all brand new to her because they do not have the college sports like that in France (or basically any other part of the world) so she finds it really fascinating how we wear our school colors and logos with the clothing and hats. She wondered if it was American enthusiasm or the unique college sports in general we have in this country. We do you guys think about that?

Vikings

Quote:
Well, Michelle, what'd you think of your boy Webb? I thought he played great, and the Vikings as a whole played a nice game too.
Agreed, Alan! I was incredibly shocked over how the Vikings collectively played, in particular the defense and what they did to Vick as well as Webb playing very well! Peterson of course played like Superman again because, well, he is Superman! I couldn't love this guy more.

What a win, though, as we caused the NFC to get very interesting in terms of playoff spots. I also think the QB situation for the Vikings got very interesting. Webb plays another game like he did last night and I believe he might inherit the starting spot next season along with maybe picking up a solid Vet for backup. At the very least the Vikings might not draft a QB if they believe Webb is the QB of the future for the team!

Quote:
Fun Fact: LaMichael James, Oregon's excellent running back, attended Idabel High school for a brief time before transferring to Texarkana (a town about 50 miles from here) before becoming a Duck...at least that's my understanding.
Wow! That's awesome. Honestly, the football players all were born in Oklahoma and Texas or they head down to schools in these states for college because everyone knows just the label alone of going to a college in these states gives you prestige and respect!

Have you been watching Bowl games?

Soccer

Christmas Special: Gift Ideas For American Players - Goal.com

I have tears in my eyes due to laughter from this... especially the following:

Quote:
Landon Donovan: A few free hours of legal advice.
Charlie Davies: A bike or a bus pass.
Bob and Michael Bradley: A nice wig.
Clint Dempsey: Some help.

YouTube - SportsCenter's Top Plays of 2010 on ESPN - Top 10 Plays of the year

What does that say when soccer makes the #1 spot? Things are changing in this country for the better. I still get CHILLS from watching that and I would think every American would have to be moved by that moment. One of the best in USA sports and even World Cup for that matter. Outstanding!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
Have you been watching Bowl games?
I've watched parts of a couple of bowl games, but I'm getting ramped up for tonight's game between Arizona and Oklahoma State. I generally root for Arizona since Mike Stoops coaches there, but I'll definitely be amping in up tonight since he's playing OSU. Hopefully it'll be a blowout and OSU can limp home losers...a feeling they're used to I'd think.
Jake: Cold-blooded but fair.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Master Fan

Texas Football
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)

Alex is so intrigued by the football culture down south and American sports culture as a whole. She even asked me a few questions about it today... it was really cute... she wondered today if cheerleaders wore their uniforms around town and not just to actually cheer. She saw that on a TV program and wondered if it was exaggerated or not. She also wondered since I played varsity soccer and basketball every year I was in high school if I wore my jerseys or some kind of team clothing to classes and around town. I answered for what I did but was quick to say that could be different for the south since sometimes we are two separate countries. LOL.
Yeah cheerleaders and players both wear their uniforms/jerseys to school the day of a game and so yeah you tend to see them around town that day with them on as well. As for cheerleaders just wearing them around on a random saturday to go shopping like they do say on One Tree Hill no not so much. I'm telling you she needs to read Friday Night Lights the book as much as she is intrigued by southern football that book along with the movie and Tv show tell the story of Texas High school football the best. IMO the book is the best portrayal as the movie and TV show have been hollywooded up a bit but they are still pretty acccurate depictions as well.

Quote:
Yes. LOL. I just wondered if jocks dated other jocks and how all that worked and what kind of personality a football player is known to have... you know how rodeo dudes have different types of personalities and all of that, heh.
LOL well I don't know that I was considered a jock here that was a label for guys really not girls. But yeah he was a jock but I dont date the dumb jock types. He was different, he was sooo passionate about football which is why he ultimately ended up in Oregon on scholorship. As far as their personality Ooo yeah a lot of them thought they hung the moon but I mean in Texas people kinda look at high school football players like that. On friday nights they are heroes for young kids and reminders of memories for the old men. It sounds corny I know but that's how it is so its hard for them not to kinda get that super hero ego to them. Having said that being on varsity is a big deal so you have to be good on and off the field. They do a ton of charity events and such and if you are not a respectable human being you wont last long.

Soccer
Quote:
Originally Posted by My yankee doodle dandy.
What does that say when soccer makes the #1 spot? Things are changing in this country for the better. I still get CHILLS from watching that and I would think every American would have to be moved by that moment. One of the best in USA sports and even World Cup for that matter. Outstanding!
OMG I will forever remember that moment! I was sitting in the tv room of my tiny little hostel in Perth, Australia at 5 am in the morning(thats what time we got the games there) with a British guy and an Aussie. When Donovan cleaned that rebound up and put it in the back of the net I was screaming in joy while the Brit and the Aussie were like calm down Shelby your going to wake everyone up. I was like you don't understand thats my country! USA USA USA!!

Last edited by cowgirl08; 12-29-2010 at 01:22 PM
Old 12-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I've watched parts of a couple of bowl games, but I'm getting ramped up for tonight's game between Arizona and Oklahoma State. I generally root for Arizona since Mike Stoops coaches there, but I'll definitely be amping in up tonight since he's playing OSU. Hopefully it'll be a blowout and OSU can limp home losers...a feeling they're used to I'd think.
I love your rival hatred talk.

I'll tune in as well and cheer against OSU!

This game I cannot wait for:

Quote:
Saturday, January 1
8:30 PM ET Connecticut vs. No. 7 Oklahoma*
TOSTITOS FIESTA BOWL
You guys got the prime time slot this coming Saturday.

Last edited by Auror; 12-29-2010 at 01:32 PM
Old 12-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I was screaming in joy while the Brit and the Aussie were like calm down Shelby your going to wake everyone up. I was like you don't understand thats my country! USA USA USA!!
That's so hard to believe! Especially the Brit....they're so passionate about soccer that you'd think they'd be screaming at such a great play...just as anyone would do if they watched a great play in any sport!
It was just sour grapes.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top