Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2017, 01:36 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
This is fun! Beats NASCAR. He was scared.
Very scared
Old 10-16-2017, 02:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Definitely something to embrace. Good for that coach using the WC disaster as a reason to go out there and play for the country hard and with passion. That coach as far as I'm concerned should be considered in the selection process. He's already proven he has the right mindset and can motivate the players at the younger level. Good for him and good for the team! The star players on that team should be singled out as well. They are the future.

I also like this comment:

Quote:
Maria Ioan · California State University, Dominguez Hills
Not ONE player over 28 should be on this squad. Hell, bring our U20s and U17s. They both made it to the quarterfinals, at least.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
United States to face Portugal in November friendly - ESPN FC

Taylor is so right. I'd like him as our new coach.
I would love him to be considered as well.

The only thing I would say is "Easier said than done" when he talks about our Nat Team being okay with mediocrity and changing the system. I actually don't think that is the case. I don't think we are settling for being average in men's soccer. What I do think is culture and our sports in general play a part... it is the American way to build slowly, and to give our coaches a chance. Look at every professional sports league at the highest level in this country and we have all of those sports... how often is a coach fired after a season, let alone six months? They usually get a couple years minimum unless it's really bad or a franchise that is unique and hires and fires quickly which isn't the norm. Every coach gets a chance to build their own program whether we're talking even college sports or professional sports in this country. It's also the American way in general to slowly build. We are fighting culture and the fact that we are the only country blessed with ALL of these other sports at the highest level to enjoy as well. It's easier for other countries who only have soccer to be impatient with the coach, the team because it's all they have to enjoy. There is less patience as a result. We are also fighting the fact that at the Men's highest level, soccer is just not super popular and cannot compete with football, hockey, basketball, baseball as far as consistent popularity year round. So I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, I'm just saying due to culture, all the other sports, it's just going to be more difficult to get there.

Last edited by jediwands; 10-16-2017 at 02:51 PM
Old 10-16-2017, 02:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
Wouldn't be the first time he has does this lol.
You make a great point. He's certainly not always correct or just takes info elsewhere.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Very scared
Terrified.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:29 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
You make a great point. He's certainly not always correct or just takes info elsewhere.
Yep, I always remember the Big Ben situation a few years ago.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:29 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Terrified.
Guess Americans can't handled real race tracks
Old 10-17-2017, 03:49 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Yep, I always remember the Big Ben situation a few years ago.
Exactly.

Quote:
Then, reports came out from multiple sources that Byrant had refuted that initial report. He said he was fine in Pittsburgh, even if he wouldn’t mind being targeted a bit more by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.
Worried that he’s just doing damage control, trying to shut down the rumors when he really does want a trade? If the reaction from the rest of the team is any indication, he doesn’t want out.
“Locker room was light. Made joke of Martavis trade report,” wrote Chris Adamski of the Tribune Review. “Say he’s going to Golden State. Maurkice Pouncey says he’s traded to [the Miami Dolphins] for his bro Mike. Pouncey: ‘The whole team plane busted out laughing when they saw Martavis trade-request report.’ Says guys in NY ‘always have a source. Who is it?'”
What’s perhaps most telling is that the original report from Rapoport says that his teammates know he’s unhappy. While it would make sense for Bryant himself to do damage control if he wanted a trade and didn’t want it to be public knowledge, are his teammates really going to jump in and do the same thing when they have nothing to lose or gain?

Steelers locker room laughs and jokes about Martavis Bryant trade repo

This is very true. Rapoport needs to get a new gig.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:51 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Guess Americans can't handled real race tracks
Apparently so.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I would love him to be considered as well.

The only thing I would say is "Easier said than done" when he talks about our Nat Team being okay with mediocrity and changing the system. I actually don't think that is the case. I don't think we are settling for being average in men's soccer. What I do think is culture and our sports in general play a part... it is the American way to build slowly, and to give our coaches a chance. Look at every professional sports league at the highest level in this country and we have all of those sports... how often is a coach fired after a season, let alone six months? They usually get a couple years minimum unless it's really bad or a franchise that is unique and hires and fires quickly which isn't the norm. Every coach gets a chance to build their own program whether we're talking even college sports or professional sports in this country. It's also the American way in general to slowly build. We are fighting culture and the fact that we are the only country blessed with ALL of these other sports at the highest level to enjoy as well. It's easier for other countries who only have soccer to be impatient with the coach, the team because it's all they have to enjoy. There is less patience as a result. We are also fighting the fact that at the Men's highest level, soccer is just not super popular and cannot compete with football, hockey, basketball, baseball as far as consistent popularity year round. So I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, I'm just saying due to culture, all the other sports, it's just going to be more difficult to get there.
I agree that for the most part these other popular sports take priority in the US. I just don't get what has happened the past few years with our team. We seem to have regressed. I remember that American spirit when we played under Bob Bradley..we didn't always win, but we always played hard with Passion. We didn't embarrass ourselves. We now have some talented players on the team, but it's just not working on a consistent basis. Perhaps it's that the other teams (in CONCACAF) have caught up and surpassed us, because Soccer is their Sport...the only one that is meaningful for their country. The fact that we can turn our passion on and off is troubling. The fact that we play great one day and with the same team play horribly the next day.
I do believe our team does need an overhaul. We need to get rid of all of the dead wood (old players who have lost it) and those young players who suck.

I am not only sad for the our team not playing in the World Cup, but I am particularly sad for players like Pulisic and Morris who are young and would have showcased their talent for the world to see. Now they have to wait 5 years from now. CP is 19. He'll be 24 when and if he gets to play in a world cup.

PS...I am still wondering where Dom Dwyer was. I had such high hopes for Arena and really gave him credit in the beginning. He ended up being so "JK like"...picking favorites over good choices.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/10/16...ecourt-stadium

We need Columbus for our "Home Games".
Old 10-17-2017, 08:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/10/13...b-ramos-gulati
Old 10-17-2017, 04:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I agree that for the most part these other popular sports take priority in the US. I just don't get what has happened the past few years with our team. We seem to have regressed. I remember that American spirit when we played under Bob Bradley..we didn't always win, but we always played hard with Passion. We didn't embarrass ourselves. We now have some talented players on the team, but it's just not working on a consistent basis. Perhaps it's that the other teams (in CONCACAF) have caught up and surpassed us, because Soccer is their Sport...the only one that is meaningful for their country. The fact that we can turn our passion on and off is troubling. The fact that we play great one day and with the same team play horribly the next day.
I think you make a great point about other teams in CONCACAF catching up. We never even had trouble making WC years ago. It was only when JK came along that things got dicey and have been ever since. I believe when JK took over the team he deflated that American Spirit. Whether Landon wants to admit it or not his entire journey with the Nats was dictated by JK the last year and change. I just think he pulled us down into such a dark territory it has been tough to move towards the light. Yes, even with Arena. We see flashes of getting the American Spirit back but it's not completely there yet. When you were in darkness for so long it's hard to immediately bounce back. We actually almost pulled it off and got to WC and could have continued to recover while waiting for Russia but it wasn't enough.

The fact that we didn't play with passion I believe was due to the darkness and coming out of it since JK but also, I believe a little bit of arrogance too. I absolutely believe when they went to T&T and saw the field conditions, they couldn't believe it, it was almost a joke, and their mentality was just relaxed and a bit cocky from that point forward. I am sure they took a look at the crowd and how small the audience was, and it felt like a practice almost. They just weren't ready to play with passion due to field conditions, ego, environment, mentality.

Quote:
I do believe our team does need an overhaul. We need to get rid of all of the dead wood (old players who have lost it) and those young players who suck.
Yes.

Quote:
I am not only sad for the our team not playing in the World Cup, but I am particularly sad for players like Pulisic and Morris who are young and would have showcased their talent for the world to see. Now they have to wait 5 years from now. CP is 19. He'll be 24 when and if he gets to play in a world cup.
It's really depressing.

Quote:
PS...I am still wondering where Dom Dwyer was. I had such high hopes for Arena and really gave him credit in the beginning. He ended up being so "JK like"...picking favorites over good choices.
I don't know why Dom was kept off the team. It's a real mystery.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/10/16...ecourt-stadium

We need Columbus for our "Home Games".
Absolutely ridiculous.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
JK is 80% to blame for us not making to WC. The players/Arena, the other 20%. I believe Arena being so inflexible was almost a reaction to JK and how he wanted to fill up our team with a bunch of Americans not even living in this country or in touch with our culture. Arena wanted to bring back the culture and he wanted to do it in a drastic way because he didn't appreciate what JK pulled. There just wasn't enough time to go there while we were making a run at qualifying for WC. It was almost like JK pulled hard one way then Arena took over and pulled hard the other way. A balance was needed and it wasn't there. Arena almost got away with it but almost still means no.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread