Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Sports #123: NHL & NBA Playoffs around the corner, MLB just getting started, and The Loons (Minnesota United FC) = new favorite MLS Team!

SPORTS

Amazing Alex Morgan.....

2015 Women's World Cup.....

Jordan Morris

Sokolov & Anderson

Christian Pulisic

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ - Qualifiers - North, Central America and Caribbean - FIFA.com

Old 04-03-2017, 07:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Last page of posts: http://www.fanforum.com/f104/sports-...6/index20.html

Really sad about this: NHL announces league not participating in 2018 Olympics in South Korea

Really happy about this since he could eventually be the American Crosby: Auston Matthews of Toronto Maple Leafs sets record for most goals by an American-born rookie

Last edited by jediwands; 04-03-2017 at 07:40 PM
Old 04-03-2017, 07:59 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the new thread, Michelle!

Yeah sucks that NHL decided to not participate in Olympics next year .

That is a great record!
Old 04-03-2017, 08:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

You're welcome!

I don't get it. I will bet many players are going to get pissed. The Olympics means a lot to many players. It might get messy.

Really great record! He's fabulous.

North Carolina just won the entire thing.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:25 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
You're welcome!

I don't get it. I will bet many players are going to get pissed. The Olympics means a lot to many players. It might get messy.
True . And as fans we also lose something you know because the best won't be in the Olympics. And the Olympics is supposed to be the competition of the best.

I do understand that it disrupts with the NHL season, but well I would have enjoyed seeing the players in the Olympic games.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:41 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
True . And as fans we also lose something you know because the best won't be in the Olympics. And the Olympics is supposed to be the competition of the best.

I do understand that it disrupts with the NHL season, but well I would have enjoyed seeing the players in the Olympic games.
Exactly. It's not fair to the fans either. It's selfish. It's not often that many smaller countries across the world have seen the NHL players play hockey. Maybe some have never seen the NHL and their main chance is the Olympics.

I am very disappointed in this decision. I haven't researched enough as to why this decision was made but it doesn't even matter. This decision is bunk.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:42 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Plenty of reasons for NHL to pass on Olympics. History shows Games don't help League

Last edited by jediwands; 04-04-2017 at 03:12 AM
Old 04-04-2017, 09:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
This is so upsetting! So this means that all the other countries like Canada and Sweden etc. won't have NHL players participating… Right? It's just not gonna be the same!

Thanks so much for the new thread, Michelle !
Old 04-04-2017, 09:57 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
This is so upsetting! So this means that all the other countries like Canada and Sweden etc. won't have NHL players participating… Right? It's just not gonna be the same!

Thanks so much for the new thread, Michelle !
You're welcome!

Exactly, it's not just the US players. It's any player from around the world who plays in the NHL, they will not be given the break/go ahead to participate in the Olympics. That mostly means Americans, Canadians, Russians, Finns, and many others scattered throughout the world. Very disappointing. Some are talking about moving hockey to the Summer Olympics. I don't think it would be the same but if it meant the best players participating then I'd be all for it.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Exactly. It's not fair to the fans either. It's selfish. It's not often that many smaller countries across the world have seen the NHL players play hockey. Maybe some have never seen the NHL and their main chance is the Olympics.

I am very disappointed in this decision. I haven't researched enough as to why this decision was made but it doesn't even matter. This decision is bunk.
I agree with this . It's not just one country. This is not about some country losing their chance to win. Far from it. This is about the general level of the competition.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
I agree with this . It's not just one country. This is not about some country losing their chance to win. Far from it. This is about the general level of the competition.
Right.

I was going to mention earlier that I don't see Alex Ovechkin ever not playing for Russia in the Olympics. Sure enough, news broke that he said he is absolutely playing in the Olympics regardless.

Quote:
NHL skipping Olympics. Ovechkin: 'I don't care - I just go'
Old 04-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

This is sweet: Marshawn Lynch visits Oakland Raiders, could get deal
Old 04-05-2017, 06:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
You're welcome!

Exactly, it's not just the US players. It's any player from around the world who plays in the NHL, they will not be given the break/go ahead to participate in the Olympics. That mostly means Americans, Canadians, Russians, Finns, and many others scattered throughout the world. Very disappointing. Some are talking about moving hockey to the Summer Olympics. I don't think it would be the same but if it meant the best players participating then I'd be all for it.
I would definitely be on board with having ice hockey in the Summer Olympics. The probably never happened though.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow... Never realized how patriotic these Russians are!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread