Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks, maybe I'll try that.

I'm excited to see Sarah on Glee

Laura|
Old 11-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Master Fan

Catching up on the last few issues of Entertainment Weekly, I found a sidebar in the October 30th issue (which, coincidentally enough, featured a cover story on Glee but no Sarah mention in that context) about "The New Docs of Grey's Anatomy", which is just behind the times enough to include Sarah's character, along with one of her pics from the Glee premiere. It has this to say:

Quote:
Sarah Drew
Dr. April Kepner

The calculating overachiever usually plays far sweeter, like Everwood's beloved Hannah (the bookworm who won Bright's heart) and, more recently, Mad Men's Kitty (the frustrated wife of secretly gay Salvatore).
Points to writer Jennifer Armstrong for singling out those shows/performances and generously calling Hannah "beloved," though she's clearly unaware of Sarah's more recent, but equally awesome, bent for the crazy. Well, awesome on Castle, at least, because Numb3rs was not and Glee is still impending.

(In a digression that is more suited to the Nora thread but probably isn't really worth posting there, the same sidebar messes up Nora's profile a bit, referring to Laynie as "breaking up supercouple Ephram and Amy," which...yeah, only works if she was interpreting the mid-S1 E/A relationship as being some sort of threesome that also included Colin. Heh.)
Old 11-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Master Fan

Critics actually seemed to love Hannah a lot, so I think "beloved" does fit with them. I can't think of a critic that didn't like Hannah. Although that might just be because I don't exactly follow a lot of critics.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 11-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, I think that actually was the case. And just thinking now of how many of the prominent ones single out Sarah's performances (and usually find some way to work in a reference to her work as Hannah, hee), it does work for a critic to refer to her as such. I consider her "beloved," but only as far as my own feelings toward the character are concerned, heh. Kind of wonder if and why critics, in general, were more open to Hannah as a character then was the audience, though? Or if that's actually even true at all, since the WB did have an awful lot of promotion focused on Hannah and Bright/Hannah, which probably means she did pretty well in focus groups or audience panels or whatever it is the network did to determine these things, and it could have been one of those cases where internet response differs from general audience response.

I think my train of thought derailed somewhere in the middle of that.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Master Fan

Hee, I think it made good sense!

I think Sarah's acting definitely won over critics, which is why they continue to bring up her performance as Hannah even now. I think even those that don't like Hannah can appreciate her acting, but it's just not enough?

But, where I posted before I found FF, I don't remember anyone really disliking Hannah, until her comments about Reid anyway, and there were quite a few Bright/Hannah fans too. I don't which boards best reflected the general audience, though, heh.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 11-08-2009, 04:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
until her comments about Reid anyway
What exactly do you mean with that, Tos? What comments about Reid?

I assume we don't know if she'll be a returning character on Glee, yet? I just had a look on IMDB, but there it says she's only in 1 episode.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Master Fan

Not to step on 'Tos's toes (heee), but I think he means Hannah's remark from the opening scene of "Enjoy the Ride" -- Hannah's reluctant to go over to the apartment to welcome Reid home from the hospital, as it will mean having to see/spend time with Bright; Amy encourages her to go by saying that it would be the Christian thing to do; Hannah responds to this by telling Amy not to use that as a reason, since if Reid's suicide attempt had succeeded, he'd now be in "H-E-double hockey sticks." A really nasty (and out-of-character) moment for Hannah, basically, which bothered even her fans and really gave those who didn't like her, anyway, ammunition.

As far as Glee's concerned, yeah, I think we probably won't know anything until they start working on the back nine episodes. Part of me is hoping that she will get more eps, but then the other part of me is thinking that I shouldn't hope for that until we've actually seen her episode, hee. With any luck, though, it'll end up to be a good one (preferably without any new contributions to the pregnancy storylines!). The song selections I've heard about for it sound pretty great, at least (though, no clue yet as to what Sarah will be singing).
Old 11-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Not to step on 'Tos's toes (heee), but I think he means Hannah's remark from the opening scene of "Enjoy the Ride" -- Hannah's reluctant to go over to the apartment to welcome Reid home from the hospital, as it will mean having to see/spend time with Bright; Amy encourages her to go by saying that it would be the Christian thing to do; Hannah responds to this by telling Amy not to use that as a reason, since if Reid's suicide attempt had succeeded, he'd now be in "H-E-double hockey sticks." A really nasty (and out-of-character) moment for Hannah, basically, which bothered even her fans and really gave those who didn't like her, anyway, ammunition.
She really said this in an episode? Wow, I have to admit that I never recognized her being this way. Maybe it's the German synchronization. But in this case it really was helpful because this comment is really harsh and totally out of her character.

So we already know which songs will be sang in Sarah's Glee episode? But you're totally right about waiting for what's coming because I really looked forward to see her in Grey's Anatomy and it was horrible.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Master Fan

Yeah, it was a very weird moment for Hannah. The only explanation I can ever come up with for it is that, as the episode's writer was someone who'd never written any other episodes of Everwood, she didn't really know how to write the character. She took Hannah's trait of being religious and used it as the basis for an awful "joke." (But that episode does earn my personal forgiveness courtesy of Harold and his patient storyline and the Bright/Hannah apartment scene at the end.)

I haven't heard what all the Glee songs will be yet, just a couple, but they sound pretty promising (especially something that Will's going to sing that ties in with his problems with Sarah's character as well as another of the young females...) Still wondering what sort of thing they'll have her sing, though, just because it's really hard to guess what might be suited to her voice. I mean, we know she can do something operatic from that Violin trailer, but otherwise, hmm.

Hopefully the promo for next week's episode will include Sarah and we can get an idea of how her new nerd get-up fares in action, hee.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
The only explanation I can ever come up with for it is that, as the episode's writer was someone who'd never written any other episodes of Everwood, she didn't really know how to write the character. She took Hannah's trait of being religious and used it as the basis for an awful "joke."
That for sure could it be. But I think a person who's seen the episodes knows the characters way better than this... And I'm sure they won't ask somebody to write an episode who has never seen a few? But at least I have no clue how this is working...

I also look forward to the promo of her episode. And I think we'll get some scenes of her. At least if she has a bigger role in this one episode.

Sarah singing an RnB song or so... Hmmm Can't imagine her doing as well. But we will see really soon.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Master Fan

Well, drat -- no Sarah whatsoever in the promo. The whole focus was on an obsessive crush that Rachel develops on Will, which seriously makes me wonder how there's going to be room for Sarah's guest character to pop up and go all crazy-stalker on him, too. We shall see!
Old 11-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Master Fan

Double posting, 'cause, Glee Sarah sneak peek! (last one down)

If it's not viewable by all regions, brief summary: she's got the crazy turned up to 11. And it is...different. It's a whole new Sarah crazy. Also, it made me laugh (and cringe), at least, so that's promising. And also, at least this part of her story is told in flashback (two years earlier), so now I'm even more curious as to the overall role she'll be playing in the storyline.

Actually, I just watched the first sneak posted as well and enjoyed it more than the Sarah one, so, though I may come to regret this -- feeling pretty positive about this so far. Hmm. Although, that being said, I just reread her interview with Watch With Kristin and realized that she said she was asked at the premiere party if she could sing. Which makes me think we won't get any singing from Sarah after all?

Last edited by Thief Of Love; 11-13-2009 at 09:51 PM
Old 11-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for posting the sneak peek.

Did we know she'd have such a role in Glee? The pants with the peppers are amazing! I'm really curious for next weeks episode but I'm not sure if I'd be so happy if she'd return still having a crush on Will.

I can imagine she won't sing as well. She only seems to be in the memory of Will... She thinks of her while telling Emma and I can't see her in the episode much more.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Master Fan

Bwah! Sarah's so cute. Hee. Pepper pants? I wonder if her whole role is in flashback?

Quote:
Although, that being said, I just reread her interview with Watch With Kristin and realized that she said she was asked at the premiere party if she could sing. Which makes me think we won't get any singing from Sarah after all?
What does this mean? Heh. Does this mean they probably would have filmed her episode before the premiere party? And does that mean that they're thinking of bring her back?
Old 11-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Master Fan

I love her pepper head scarf, too, hee.

This whole thing is confuddling, though, heh. If her role is entirely in flashback, then she wouldn't have any reason to sing (unless she randomly serenades him or something), and the question at the premiere party could imply that they might want to ask her back for another, more musical appearance on the show. However, if, for some reason, the party took place before they filmed her episode, then she might sing. But, from those photos posted on the first page of the thread, I think the party was dated August or September and filming of her episode was probably some time during the summer. Unless it wasn't, heh. Because there's also still that thing she said about her character being redeemed, which makes me think we might see in her in the present, too, maybe helping him resolve this new situation? Which would offer more of an opening for her to sing, if she were going to this week. My brain hurts.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread