Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Master Fan

If this show is somehow miraculously renewed, Megan really, really needs not to be the ostensible central character anymore. So much melodrama! Gak! And I never did find enough positive qualities to outweigh the grating ones.

Twins are good, though, and I hate to go to the cliche well, but they genuinely are the show's heart and soul. Quite a bait-and-switch with those girls -- they should be representative of the shallow, superficial aspect of this world with which Megan must contend, but they're the major characters with actual depth, and, as such, should really be the leads.

Kudos to the show for giving Sage and Luis a different kind of breakup -- while neither came off very well in their episode-long debate, they were ultimately a heck of a lot more mature than, oh, say, Megan and Will. And can I just say right now how much I loathe that Rina felt the need to take a sharp left turn in the "we were on a break!" direction? And, cute meta with Sage's heroes/antiheroes presentation right at the end there (and I liked what she said in it, too, but) -- Megan's complex and flawed and grey and makes mistakes. We established this in, like, the second episode. Perhaps highlighting the good in her somewhere after the Pilot (in which she was tremendously likeable and relatable) would have helped.

Oh, yeah, still hate Kathy Griffin, but at least she didn't dominate.
Thief Of Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Loyal Fan

I get what you guys are saying about Megan and Will, but...at least they're not Bright and Hannah, so I forgive it.

I thought the fight scene was a particular strong point and the breakup had a natural build...well...as natural a build a breakup can have.

Oh and I totally teared up when Sage and Marco had their little scene together. Its small moments like that that really make the show.

Quote:
And can I just say right now how much I loathe that Rina felt the need to take a sharp left turn in the "we were on a break!" direction?
We don't know that Megan Mr. British slept together though, so I'm willing to see how it play's out. It does seem eerily reminiscent of GG's season 6 finale, "Partings" though.

What specifically is turning you guys off of Megan so much? I honestly don't see what's so unlikable about her. She still tutors the girls(whether this happens on screen or not is of little concern to me, they can't do that in every. single. episode...so quit whining. ), helps them with their issues, etc... she even tries to support her dysfunctional family too. The relationship with Will has gone sour, sure, but I can't really fault her(or him) for that matter. Things happen(thanks Charlie! I do miss you though. ) and given her history, I'm not surprised she's tried to monopolize the darn thing.
Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views.

-Squall Leonhart
ShadowMagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
What specifically is turning you guys off of Megan so much?
Two things are bugging me about her at the moment. One, she hasn't grown much at all. As far as Rose/Sage have grown in a short time, Megan hasn't. And that's with knowing the sisters, Laurel, Marco, with confronting various issues in her family, two relationships, and a best friend who left partly because he loved her. She's still the girl we met in the pilot, despite all that. She was a great character to be introduced to, but what then? I just feel like everything she's done is pointless, because it never actually resulted in anything.

And two, Will/Megan are terribly uninteresting, and that's been her main story, so by default, she comes off as terribly uninteresting. Admittedly I'm picky about romantic stories, but Will has always annoyed me and him and Megan just grate. They're not a good couple, they're not all that interesting, Will is a bigger asshat with her than he is without her and that's pretty hard to do, and Megan's flaws come out strongest when they're together. And I still have yet to see the point of the relationship as far as character development, because neither have grown at all from it. Will got a job because his father made it so; he works hard at it, but he's always been a hard-working guy, and worked hard to get into Megan's life. And she still has essentially the same views and attitudes as in the first episode despite being in a major relationship with a guy from a completely different world. Again, I just don't see the point, so it's been easy to tune out and wait for Rose and Sage to come on-screen!

Megan is great with her family, and with Laurel, and with the sisters. The family story was fairly major, but Will/Megan has been the A-story for her and it really just sucks, heh.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Master Fan

What he said. *points up*

To add to that, I'm still not getting any sense of a personality from this chick. We see her doing things -- talking a lot, apparently writing (which we don't specifically see, but we saw the end result), helping her family, tutoring the twins, enacting various dramas with Will and whoever else -- but I haven't the faintest idea who she is. A personality is not the sum of someone's actions, but all we really have with Megan is action, TV-quirky speech patterns, and some irritating traits (self-absorption, primarily). I would at least have liked to have learned a little something about her likes and dislikes, which isn't all that complex a topic. Too, she is so the least introspective bookish type I have seen anywhere, ever, in real life and fiction, except maybe for Rory Gilmore S3-7.

Rina really let me down on that point, actually, just because Everwood was so packed with well-drawn personalities, and this show, too, has its share -- that just doesn't include the lead character, IMO.

ETA: Oh, to reply to something that has nothing at all to do with Megan, I wasn't thrilled with the use of "Comfort," if only because I think that montage from "All the Lonely People" was one of Everwood's more effective (for the most part, Harold/Rose/Bright scene excluded), and so it was hard for me not to compare the two and have this one score rather unfavorably in comparison.

Last edited by Thief Of Love; 02-25-2009 at 12:26 AM
Old 02-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Master Fan

Strongly agreed on the lack of personality and character for Megan. It's kind of funny to think that Marco has about as much personality as her, and he's a bit character. A great one, of course. The thing is, adding a little personality (likes, dislikes) really wouldn't have taken all that much airtime, and should have added to scenes, but would have added so much to Megan and the show. Weird.

---

From the looks of the ratings, that was definitely the series finale. Going after a repeat of a show that is not even doing all that well (90210) and against Obama, who people actually watch versus other recent presidents, it had no chance, but oh..I hate to see it fizzle out like that. Depressing. Not that Everwood's final ratings blew everyone out of the water, but I'm so glad it didn't end that way.

And to get into the other semi-controversy I see around, about ending a probable series finale with "To Be Continued..", I will say that if Everwood ended that way, I would probably have smashed my TV in, but completely different circumstances here, obviously.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 05-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Master Fan

Here's what Rina says about the cancellation of Privileged:

Quote:
"It's truly heartbreaking," series creator Rina Mimoun said via e-mail. "I'm so grateful to everyone out there who supported our little show and fell in love with Megan Smith. She was the most delightful character I've ever had the pleasure to write and watching JoAnna Garcia bring her to life every day was a gift I will never forget. I'm incredibly proud of the work we did and forever indebted to all the fans, critics and to Warner Bros. for being so wonderful and supportive. I will miss this more than you know." Class act, that one.
Hopefully she gets something soon. And I really hope that she is not still under a contract to do shows for the CW, because she really does not fit on that network. Maybe she can do Warner Brothers shows for other networks? ABC is something I can see Rina working on, but the CW is too young and it's not into heart, which she excels at.

I'll also ignore her comment about Megan Smith being the most delightful character she ever wrote...oh, I guess I didn't ignore that, did I?
Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Master Fan

You're a better person than I, 'Tos, because my first thought upon reading Rina's comment was, "Wow, Rina has awful taste in characters." Heh.

Sad, though. The one positive I can see is that Rina's worked non-stop since Everwood ended -- the brief stint with Gilmore Girls, the failed pilot (okay, but still -- she got to the pilot stage, it's better than nothing), Pushing Daisies, and Privileged. I have to believe that she'll find work posthaste. And, with any luck, she'll find a network better suited to her abilities than the CW. The WB was great, because it had room for more mature content that was a little quirkier than main network fare, but I agree that the CW just aims way too young.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
You're a better person than I, 'Tos, because my first thought upon reading Rina's comment was, "Wow, Rina has awful taste in characters." Heh.
Hee! You're just sayin' what we're all thinkin'.

I just really hope she's not stuck on the CW for the season. I just..am not interested in anything on there and I'd hate to see her having to write One Tree Hill or something. That would depress me greatly.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Loyal Fan

Not news really, but Rina posted on her facebook that she quote: officially cannot believe that a network run by a woman, programming for YOUNG GIRLS, celebrates The New Hump Day. Shame on everyone.

Some good responses include:

I want to die. by Anna Fricke

There simply aren't enough 14 year old strippers. Wait! I think that's in development for next season... by Rina Mimoun

they can call it "14 Going On 40....partners" by Dalton Newsom

i just think we need more -students paying for medical school by being hookers- on tv. by Kristina Apgar

That's some good stuff right there! *sends more bad thoughts towards Dawn*
Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views.

-Squall Leonhart
Old 08-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMagist (View Post)
Not news really, but Rina posted on her facebook that she quote: officially cannot believe that a network run by a woman, programming for YOUNG GIRLS, celebrates The New Hump Day. Shame on everyone.

Some good responses include:

I want to die. by Anna Fricke

There simply aren't enough 14 year old strippers. Wait! I think that's in development for next season... by Rina Mimoun

they can call it "14 Going On 40....partners" by Dalton Newsom

i just think we need more -students paying for medical school by being hookers- on tv. by Kristina Apgar

That's some good stuff right there! *sends more bad thoughts towards Dawn*
That is pretty disgusting,but since this is The Ostroffer,not surprising.
That's why I think that the CW stands for CrapWatch.
cfs89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Master Fan

Wait, what? Huh? What did I miss?

ETA: Ahh. Thanks, Google. Way to keep it klassy there, Ostroff.

Last edited by Thief Of Love; 08-01-2009 at 11:19 PM
Old 08-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Master Fan

Well, I guess Rina doesn't have a deal with the CW anymore! Love the snark, hee. Rina has always had the snark down very well.

And Anna Fricke! Hopefully we see more of her writing soon too.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Loyal Fan

I just thought it was very amusing. Add to that, it just seems like no one ever calls the CW on their crap and all of the horribleness Gossip Girl and what I'm sure Melrose Place, brings about. Frustrating is what it is. Hmph!

-Squall Leonhart
Old 01-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Master Fan

Wow, found this on page 7. Clearly we've all been following Eastwick eagerly!

My fervent hope, with that thing being done (right? Please tell me it was canceled-canceled and not canceled-with-promise-of-being-picked-up-for-cable), is that...well, it would be nice if Rina would come up with something new again, but since that doesn't seem to be in the cards at the moment, I could see her working at Life Unexpected. Granted, they've only aired the one episode, but it really feels like a show where Rina's strengths would be put to use. Again, it would be nicer for her to utilize said strengths on an original creation, but failing that...
Old 01-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Master Fan

Aw man, I thought that there was news about a pilot from Rina or something when I saw this thread on the front page!

I'd almost rather see her join a great show and succeed with that than start a new one. Because I just know that it won't last long, heh. It seems like a lot of writers from our show tend towards shows that only a small group of fans end up watching. It's like the Everwood curse!
Reply   Post New Thread