Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2018, 10:28 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybgb (View Post)
I think my ranking would be in order - 1, 2, 3 and 4. Now, you can probably re-arrange most and it would still be okay because every season had greatness and I don't dislike any season.
That's so true. This show was just so good. Even a low moment is still a high moment for most shows. We were really lucky.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Xo, Kitty

YUP Madison honestly is what kills season 2 for me. It seems that most people agree that season 1 was the best, season 2 was the worst, and 3/4 were kinda tied, it just depends on what you like.

Now that I'm thinking of it, if it werent for EA I would probably like season 4 more beause I loved the ephram/andy bits and them getting along. i loved the complete LACK of madison around and that entire storyline. I loved to see E/A coming back in the end. I loved the kyle/ephram relationship as well... so now I'm not sure again. But i think season 3 just felt more cohesive and maybe in general the episodes were more interesting over all? IDK.

I agree that every season of the show was amazing though, I never wanted to quit watching like I have with some of my other shows lol. And with 4 seasons it definitely didnt drag on. It sucks we didnt get more, but honestly, it was a good amount of episodes.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
YUP Madison honestly is what kills season 2 for me. It seems that most people agree that season 1 was the best, season 2 was the worst, and 3/4 were kinda tied, it just depends on what you like.
I just cringe when she shows up at the Brown residence. Yuck. I also hated when Amy showed up to see Ephram obviously lost and depressed... and Madison was basically making fun of her under her breath. Madison was gross, a horrible character.

Quote:
Now that I'm thinking of it, if it werent for EA I would probably like season 4 more beause I loved the ephram/andy bits and them getting along. i loved the complete LACK of madison around and that entire storyline. I loved to see E/A coming back in the end. I loved the kyle/ephram relationship as well... so now I'm not sure again. But i think season 3 just felt more cohesive and maybe in general the episodes were more interesting over all? IDK.

I agree that every season of the show was amazing though, I never wanted to quit watching like I have with some of my other shows lol. And with 4 seasons it definitely didnt drag on. It sucks we didnt get more, but honestly, it was a good amount of episodes.
The father-son moments we received in season 4 were so good. I really loved how they recovered after all the crap that went down at the end of season 3. Ephram/Kyle dynamic was really good. I loved seeing EA coming back together too.

We did get a good amount of episodes overall. At least we received full seasons, and not 13 or 16 per season. I guess at the end of the day the series concluded when it was meant to. Now we might get a reboot or reunion in the future. I’m all for it as long as the main dynamics do not change. If it will honor the show and our main characters, bring it on. Otherwise, the series finale was phenomenal and we can easily fill in the blanks on what happened next. We didn’t get to see Ephram and Amy married with children but we know it took place.

Last edited by jediwands; 07-02-2018 at 06:03 AM
Old 07-02-2018, 09:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
That's so true. This show was just so good. Even a low moment is still a high moment for most shows. We were really lucky.
A lot dislike season 2 because of Madison but that doesn't bother me. It made for good drama and there was a lot of other great stuff going on. I don't know what it is about season 4 that always makes it last for me. I mean, it is still great, of course. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Barrybgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:13 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
A lot dislike season 2 because of Madison but that doesn't bother me. It made for good drama and there was a lot of other great stuff going on. I don't know what it is about season 4 that always makes it last for me. I mean, it is still great, of course. I can't quite put my finger on it.
The quality of season 2 was so good. The lack of EA scenes wasn’t fun but due to Amy’s depression and the fact that Greg and Emily had so much chemistry, their characters couldn’t be around each other because it would have severely watered down both Tommy and Madison, lol. On any other network, EVC would have gotten an Emmy for Amy’s depression.

Season 4 had some great father-son moments but maybe too much Jake, not enough evolution for Andy/Nina, and Berlanti inserting in certain storylines just in case we didn’t receive a season 5 played a part. I believe the series being up in the air had a direct effect on how season 4 was constructed.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Quote:
The quality of season 2 was so good. The lack of EA scenes wasn’t fun but due to Amy’s depression and the fact that Greg and Emily had so much chemistry, their characters couldn’t be around each other because it would have severely watered down both Tommy and Madison, lol. On any other network, EVC would have gotten an Emmy for Amy’s depression.

Season 4 had some great father-son moments but maybe too much Jake, not enough evolution for Andy/Nina, and Berlanti inserting in certain storylines just in case we didn’t receive a season 5 played a part. I believe the series being up in the air had a direct effect on how season 4 was constructed.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head with all of that!

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Barrybgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:17 AM
Master Fan

As usual I will be the weird one and rank them differently compared to others .

So for me the seasons are:
  1. Season 1
    I think we all agree on the fact that Season 1 is the best. I loved the introduction of all of the characters and watching them getting to know each other.
  2. Season 4
    I love this season because the characters had matured and had changed for the better which for me was the main focus of Everwood after all. They all learnt important lessons and you kind of see the results for that in Season 4.
  3. Season 2
    Between Season 2 and 3 I like more Season 2. Emily did awesome job with her depression arc and there were some (while just few) awesome moments between Ephram and Amy.
  4. Season 3
    In theory this had to be a better season. Amy and Ephram were together and we could have gotten far better stories for them but we did not. I found them the most boring in this season. On top of this add Hannah that just did not fit in Everwood's storyline or Bright/Hannah who for me were not realistic. And let's not forget how we were forced to find Hannah/Amy as friends as cool when this was just not authentic.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:32 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
You pretty much hit the nail on the head with all of that!
Haha, thanks, Twin!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
As usual I will be the weird one and rank them differently compared to others .

So for me the seasons are:
  1. Season 1
    I think we all agree on the fact that Season 1 is the best. I loved the introduction of all of the characters and watching them getting to know each other.
  2. Season 4
    I love this season because the characters had matured and had changed for the better which for me was the main focus of Everwood after all. They all learnt important lessons and you kind of see the results for that in Season 4.
  3. Season 2
    Between Season 2 and 3 I like more Season 2. Emily did awesome job with her depression arc and there were some (while just few) awesome moments between Ephram and Amy.
  4. Season 3
    In theory this had to be a better season. Amy and Ephram were together and we could have gotten far better stories for them but we did not. I found them the most boring in this season. On top of this add Hannah that just did not fit in Everwood's storyline or Bright/Hannah who for me were not realistic. And let's not forget how we were forced to find Hannah/Amy as friends as cool when this was just not authentic.
Honestly, you are not really that weird and different with this ranking. There's A LOT of people who rank 1 and 4 first and in that order. Some people believe season 4 had season 1-like quality. I actually think season 4 at its best was absolutely a lot like season 1. Plus, like you said, maturity was a key in season 4. I LOVED Ephram so much in season 4. I think I loved Ephram the most in season 4. He matured so much and was just so chill and at peace. He wanted Amy back and that was basically his "anxiety" of the season but he got there and it all worked out. I loved the father/son moments in season 4. It was like we were seeing the payoff given everything Andy/Ephram had been through before this final season. I loved all the Ephram/Amy moments in season 3 but I agree there was something about season 3 that felt different. I really do believe it was because Rina was in control and she plastered Hannah on the screen in a blunt way. Whether you liked or disliked Hannah, you were going to see a lot of her! Totally agree about the Hannah/Amy friendship too. EVC shined in season 2 with the depression storyline and there was a lot of quality in that season overall.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Honestly, you are not really that weird and different with this ranking. There's A LOT of people who rank 1 and 4 first and in that order. Some people believe season 4 had season 1-like quality. I actually think season 4 at its best was absolutely a lot like season 1. Plus, like you said, maturity was a key in season 4. I LOVED Ephram so much in season 4. I think I loved Ephram the most in season 4. He matured so much and was just so chill and at peace.
I completely agree that Season 4 Ephram was the best. Maybe this is one of the reasons I rank Season 4 so high .

Quote:
He wanted Amy back and that was basically his "anxiety" of the season but he got there and it all worked out.
This is true but for me who is not totally EA fan I loved that in Season 4 both Amy and Ephram were mature enough to know why they want to be back together. Also I loved the library scene and the Postcards one. It was so natural. Emily and Greg did an awesome job. This is what I wanted from Season 3 but I did not get.

Quote:
I loved the father/son moments in season 4. It was like we were seeing the payoff given everything Andy/Ephram had been through before this final season.
Agree . I loved how the Ephram/Andy dynamic had changed from Season 1. It was no longer volatile. There was no drama or pissing off contests. Ephram accepted Andy as his father and was willing to take his advice. Andy finally saw that Epgram sometimes have important things to say to him and he learnt to take an advice from him too. Loved them the most in Season 4.

Quote:
I loved all the Ephram/Amy moments in season 3 but I agree there was something about season 3 that felt different. I really do believe it was because Rina was in control and she plastered Hannah on the screen in a blunt way.
Most probably because for me Season 3 lacked the usual magic Everwood had and especially Amy/Ephram.

Quote:
Whether you liked or disliked Hannah, you were going to see a lot of her! Totally agree about the Hannah/Amy friendship too. EVC shined in season 2 with the depression storyline and there was a lot of quality in that season overall.
Oh hell yeah the quality of Season 2 is way better than Season 3. I did not find the story lines that compelling but the acting was top notch. And while Emily did great in her depression arc watching her was depressing. I mean she was that good but in the end Season 2 was too depressing for me .
Old 07-03-2018, 08:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I completely agree that Season 4 Ephram was the best. Maybe this is one of the reasons I rank Season 4 so high .
Probably. Yes, he was so awesome. I just loved season 4 Ephram.

Quote:
This is true but for me who is not totally EA fan I loved that in Season 4 both Amy and Ephram were mature enough to know why they want to be back together. Also I loved the library scene and the Postcards one. It was so natural. Emily and Greg did an awesome job. This is what I wanted from Season 3 but I did not get.
Clear explanation why... Rina = season 3, Berlanti = season 4. Berlanti captured classic Ephram/Amy in season 4, not to mention Greg/Emily as usual sizzling with the chemistry. Also, we've discussed this before... it's a known fact both Greg and Emily were sick constantly during season 3 filming. They were giving each other colds left and right. LOL. You can clearly see in 3.2 and 3.3 especially they're both sick. They are congested and swallowing hard like you do when you're nursing an upper respiratory. Apparently that continued throughout most of season 3. I think that's why we didn't get as many intimate scenes. Also... Rina, and Hannah being the star of season 3... Season 4, the magic was back because Berlanti made sure of it.

Quote:
Agree . I loved how the Ephram/Andy dynamic had changed from Season 1. It was no longer volatile. There was no drama or pissing off contests. Ephram accepted Andy as his father and was willing to take his advice. Andy finally saw that Epgram sometimes have important things to say to him and he learnt to take an advice from him too. Loved them the most in Season 4.
Totally agree. Season 4 Andy/Ephram is my favorite too.

Quote:
Most probably because for me Season 3 lacked the usual magic Everwood had and especially Amy/Ephram.
Haha we both mentioned magic. So true for the reasons above.

Quote:
Oh hell yeah the quality of Season 2 is way better than Season 3. I did not find the story lines that compelling but the acting was top notch. And while Emily did great in her depression arc watching her was depressing. I mean she was that good but in the end Season 2 was too depressing for me .
Completely agree.

I'm not sure if I've ever asked you this or if I have my horrible memory (at times) isn't recalling the answer... when did you officially start watching Everwood and what compelled you to check out Everwood? Did you binge watch or what was your experience like?

Last edited by jediwands; 07-03-2018 at 08:59 PM
Old 07-03-2018, 09:18 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Probably. Yes, he was so awesome. I just loved season 4 Ephram.
The best in the show .

Quote:
Clear explanation why... Rina = season 3, Berlanti = season 4. Berlanti captured classic Ephram/Amy in season 4, not to mention Greg/Emily as usual sizzling with the chemistry. Also, we've discussed this before... it's a known fact both Greg and Emily were sick constantly during season 3 filming. They were giving each other colds left and right. LOL. You can clearly see in 3.2 and 3.3 especially they're both sick. They are congested and swallowing hard like you do when you're nursing an upper respiratory. Apparently that continued throughout most of season 3. I think that's why we didn't get as many intimate scenes. Also... Rina, and Hannah being the star of season 3... Season 4, the magic was back because Berlanti made sure of it.
I agree with all of this. Definitely when Berlanti was back in Season 4 you could sense the difference right away.

Quote:
Totally agree. Season 4 Andy/Ephram is my favorite too.
Yeah, it was great on both sides. Andy gave Ephram some great advice and vice versa.

Quote:
Haha we both mentioned magic. So true for the reasons above.
Most probably this is why some people prefer Season 4 over 3. You could tell that the usual Everwood magic was lacking in Season 3. Sucks that Berlanti was not that involved with the show during Season 3. I am sure that if he was, we would have gotten better storylines and scenes.

Quote:
Completely agree.

I'm not sure if I've ever asked you this or if I have my horrible memory (at times) isn't recalling the answer... when did you officially start watching Everwood and what compelled you to check out Everwood? Did you binge watch or what was your experience like?
I saw Rookie Blue one day while I was visitting my parents. I started watching Rookie Blue but soon I got bored . Around that time I had watched Revenge. I liked Emily but the show as a whole did not work completely for me. Meaning that I could not watch and I would still be OK. So I found out that both Greg and Emily are in Everwood and decided to check this show. I binge watched it and I finished it for 3 weeks or something like that.

At that time it was winter and I had an accident on the stupid ice so my right hand (which is my dominant) basically was unusable for a week. I had nothing else to do but watch the show .

I joined the board when I was in the end of 3rd/beginning of 4th season. I did lurk in the board from the moment I started watching the show though. I just needed some time to join it and make myself known.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
The best in the show .

I agree with all of this. Definitely when Berlanti was back in Season 4 you could sense the difference right away.
You really could. The Andy/Ephram and Ephram/Amy scenes are just so classic Berlanti.

Quote:
Yeah, it was great on both sides. Andy gave Ephram some great advice and vice versa.
It was such great evolution. Season 1, they were so messed up. Season 2, they were better but still with their issues. Season 3, they were okay but it was always the calm before the storm due to Madisongate. Everything blew up at the end of season only for them to pick up the pieces (pieces not just due to Madisongate, residual pieces from NYC, seasons 1-3 as a whole too) and they just found a way to make it to the finish line together. We talk about Ephram maturing beautifully during this time period. Actually, Andy matured as well. They both matured and grew both individually and as a father/son dynamic. It was a pleasure to watch it transpire. You really felt a payoff in season 4.

Quote:
Most probably this is why some people prefer Season 4 over 3. You could tell that the usual Everwood magic was lacking in Season 3. Sucks that Berlanti was not that involved with the show during Season 3. I am sure that if he was, we would have gotten better storylines and scenes.
Definitely. I'm not sure why he stepped back some. He knew what happened when Kevin Williamson left Dawson's Creek at the end of season 2. He understood how much the show changed. Luckily he didn't completely leave in season 3 but he stepped back a bit and let Rina take charge overall while kind of overseeing what was going on. Still, his magic was lost in season 3. I don't think he would have ever constructed Hannah like Rina did, or Bright and Hannah for that matter. Hannah was initially meant to be a single white female character obsessed with Amy. This is just speculation but I will bet that was Berlanti's vision for Hannah. But when he stepped back and gave Rina the leadership role, they decided to change things up and Rina included some of her childhood into Hannah and that's the Hannah and Bright/Hannah we received.

Quote:
I saw Rookie Blue one day while I was visitting my parents. I started watching Rookie Blue but soon I got bored . Around that time I had watched Revenge. I liked Emily but the show as a whole did not work completely for me. Meaning that I could not watch and I would still be OK. So I found out that both Greg and Emily are in Everwood and decided to check this show. I binge watched it and I finished it for 3 weeks or something like that.

At that time it was winter and I had an accident on the stupid ice so my right hand (which is my dominant) basically was unusable for a week. I had nothing else to do but watch the show .

I joined the board when I was in the end of 3rd/beginning of 4th season. I did lurk in the board from the moment I started watching the show though. I just needed some time to join it and make myself known.
That's great. It was meant to be.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:49 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
You really could. The Andy/Ephram and Ephram/Amy scenes are just so classic Berlanti.
Definitely .

Quote:
It was such great evolution. Season 1, they were so messed up. Season 2, they were better but still with their issues. Season 3, they were okay but it was always the calm before the storm due to Madisongate. Everything blew up at the end of season only for them to pick up the pieces (pieces not just due to Madisongate, residual pieces from NYC, seasons 1-3 as a whole too) and they just found a way to make it to the finish line together. We talk about Ephram maturing beautifully during this time period. Actually, Andy matured as well. They both matured and grew both individually and as a father/son dynamic. It was a pleasure to watch it transpire. You really felt a payoff in season 4.
I agree that Andy matured too. He was not perfect either. He had a lot of issues in the beginning of the series when it comes to him being a dad. Sure he was great surgeon and doctor, but he was rather lacking in the father department.

Quote:
Definitely. I'm not sure why he stepped back some. He knew what happened when Kevin Williamson left Dawson's Creek at the end of season 2. He understood how much the show changed. Luckily he didn't completely leave in season 3 but he stepped back a bit and let Rina take charge overall while kind of overseeing what was going on. Still, his magic was lost in season 3. I don't think he would have ever constructed Hannah like Rina did, or Bright and Hannah for that matter. Hannah was initially meant to be a single white female character obsessed with Amy. This is just speculation but I will bet that was Berlanti's vision for Hannah. But when he stepped back and gave Rina the leadership role, they decided to change things up and Rina included some of her childhood into Hannah and that's the Hannah and Bright/Hannah we received.
Honestly I don't have that much issues with Hannah as a character. I don't care if Rina changed the idea behind Hannah or added something from her in Hannah. My issues were more about the fact that Hannah was too central and focused and that was not needed. If we had less Hannah even like that it would have been tolerable. Also Hannah/Bright did not make sense. I think that Bright could have had better evolution as a character without Hannah.

Honestly I would not have been interested in watching a character being obsessed in Amy. I would not have found it realistic either.

The writers just forced on us Hannah and it did not feel authentic at all. Amy and Hannah became besties with just two episodes. Bright became interested in Hannah in few episodes too. It was not realistic considering their differences. Those two relationships did not have good evolution or buildup.

Add to this the fact that we have seen Laynie/Amy friendship and we were able to compare to Amy/Hannah and it was like a night and a day. Honestly for me the biggest mistake they did is forcing on us Hannah. If they had toned down Hannah's scenes and make her less important than she was, we would not have that much issues with her. As it is, we had to watch needless scenes with her and we did not care about her enough to find those interesting.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Definitely .

I agree that Andy matured too. He was not perfect either. He had a lot of issues in the beginning of the series when it comes to him being a dad. Sure he was great surgeon and doctor, but he was rather lacking in the father department.
I feel like at the end of season 3 when Madisongate exploded it was a turning point for Andy. Even though I will always firmly believe Andy was put in a horrible place (and tried to stop the relationship from happening in the first place) he should have handled the situation better. It was eating away at him (literally, aka ulcer) keeping it from Ephram. When it all finally came out, it was like he could breathe again, he was relieved. In tarot, the Death Card is about conclusions/closed chapters and boy NYC was certainly a Death Card scenario for Andy/Ephram. The beginning of season 4 was the card called The Fool. New Beginnings. He kept Julia's affair from Ephram, he kept Madison's pregnancy for Ephram. Those burdens were gone and you just knew there was no way on the planet he was ever putting himself in that position again.

Quote:
Honestly I don't have that much issues with Hannah as a character.
Overall, I didn't care either. However, admittedly, I didn't like the slight Mary Sue aspect of the character. I also disliked how much time she spent at the Abbott's because all I thought about was how that should have been Laynie instead. We should have received a Laynie that was over her depression and sadness, looking brightly at the future, embracing her friendship with Amy, maybe even giving us a Bright/Laynie romantic pairing which would have made more sense than Bright/Hannah.

Quote:
I don't care if Rina changed the idea behind Hannah or added something from her in Hannah. My issues were more about the fact that Hannah was too central and focused and that was not needed. If we had less Hannah even like that it would have been tolerable. Also Hannah/Bright did not make sense. I think that Bright could have had better evolution as a character without Hannah.
I just found the entire Bright/Hannah relationship unrealistic not only in general but even when you insert it into Everwood... which is why I have an issue with Rina bringing on this storyline. She wanted to fantasize about her childhood yet didn't really stop to think about if this storyline was would fit nicely on Everwood. It really didn't. We spent so much time on so many Bright/Hannah scenes only to have the cheating in the end. All that precious time really annoys me. It should have been spent on other characters, pairings, storylines that were actually going somewhere instead.

Quote:
Honestly I would not have been interested in watching a character being obsessed in Amy. I would not have found it realistic either.
Excellent point. That is true. It would have been rather soap opera almost like Psycho Derek from OTH which was not Everwood's style.

Quote:
The writers just forced on us Hannah and it did not feel authentic at all. Amy and Hannah became besties with just two episodes. Bright became interested in Hannah in few episodes too. It was not realistic considering their differences. Those two relationships did not have good evolution or buildup.
Exactly.

Quote:
Add to this the fact that we have seen Laynie/Amy friendship and we were able to compare to Amy/Hannah and it was like a night and a day. Honestly for me the biggest mistake they did is forcing on us Hannah. If they had toned down Hannah's scenes and make her less important than she was, we would not have that much issues with her. As it is, we had to watch needless scenes with her and we did not care about her enough to find those interesting.
100% agree.

Last edited by jediwands; 07-06-2018 at 12:36 AM
Reply   Post New Thread