Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2020, 09:58 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulfilledღ (View Post)
[So I'm posting Chapter 4, but it's really a go between I feel, explaining a little bit of the backstory. It took so long to get this going. I didn't know where to start or how to put it or what to do with it. I think I started this chapter, about sixteen times in my head of how it would go and how Amy would have her exit out of Ephram's life and it was really, really hard. I tried to justify Amy's actions as much as I could, and you know, even I hate her now But I'm glad I wrote it because I never really felt Ephram's pain. I only saw him as the successful teacher and the guy who's helping Hogan become an upstanding guy. But this really kind of takings a turning point in how I'm going to deliver Ephram's character in the next coming episodes. I have the next few chapters figured out. I have the ending already written in my head so I know how I'm going to end it. I will say...it becomes full circle...in a good way I hope you all enjoy this and really get out everything I put into it. I'm glad you all like my writing]

A Christmas Homecoming in Everwood: Chapter 4

~*~

Almost Eight Years Ago

“Today has been the most perfect day.” Amy spoke in a soft voice.
“Yeah, it has been pretty special.” Ephram kissed the top of her head while caressing her lower back.

They laid together, in Ephram’s bed, a lone sheet covering the middle part of their bodies.

“I was thinking in listening to your dad and Nina’s wedding vows that it could be us up there, saying our wedding vows.”
Ephram entwined his hand with hers. “Yeah, I couldn’t help but think what our future held, too. A big house, lots of kids.”
Amy looked up at him, making a face. “Lots of kids?”
“Yeah, like a whole softball team.”
“And where you do you think this softball team is coming from?”

“Well, you and me of course.”
“No, no, no. This baby factory closes after…well, I don’t know what the number is, but definitely not a softball team.”
“As long as they are healthy, it doesn’t matter to me.”
After a long pause, Amy finally asked what had been pressing on her mind. “Do you want to get married, Ephram?”
His eyes widened at her serious face. “Right now?”
“Not right now.” She had a light giggle. “But, you know, in the future?”

“Yeah, sure, I guess. Is that what’s been bugging you all day? I saw the look on your face earlier, but I didn’t want to say anything.”
“I never really thought about it until Nina was putting all the wedding preparations together. I wanted to imagine how it would be when you would be waiting at the altar and me be in the big white dress.”
“It puts a smile on my face just thinking about it.”
“I actually almost picked up a wedding magazine at the grocery store and Delia reminded me that Nina had already planned her entire wedding and didn’t need anymore magazines. I think I was picking it up for me than for her. This entire week has just been non stop wedding and I keep wanting to plan ours.”
“You will.” He kissed the top of her head again, both of them drifting off to sleep.

~*~

The rain hard started to fall hard. Amy woke up, looking at the clock, it was just after three in the morning. She grabbed her underwear from her overnight bag and not wanting to wake Ephram, she grabbed one of his overnight shirts from the dresser drawer. Slowly she made her way out of the bedroom and into the kitchen. The living room was freezing. She forgot how cold Everwood could get at night. She adjusted the thermostat and opened up the refrigerator. She grabbed the half eaten mint chocolate fudge ice cream and a spoon. Slowly she sat at the table, digging in.

“There you are.” Ephram came out of the bedroom slipping his t-shirt on, just covering his pajama pants.
“Sweet tooth.” She showed him the front of the ice cream box.
“It’s already freezing in here, how can you be eating ice cream?”
“You know I can eat ice cream in an igloo if there’s mint involved.”

“Yeah, the day you, me, Bright and Hannah went on that walk on the day schools were closed a few years ago. You had ice cream then too, and I still thought you were crazy even then, too.”
Amy saw Ephram get a spoon from the drawer and she slid the already gotten spoon away from where she was sitting. “Way ahead of you.”
“You know me too well.”

“That I do.” Amy handed Ephram the carton. “You can have the rest, I’m cold enough.”

Ephram finished the last bit of ice cream and placed the empty carton in the trash, rinsing off the spoon and placing it in the sink.

“You have a something face.” Amy said aloud as Ephram was drying his hands.
“No I don’t.”
“Ephram…I know you better than that.” Amy walked over to the counter, looking at him, bringing his eye level to hers.
“My mom.”
“Oh.” Amy didn’t know what to say. Ephram hasn’t mentioned Julia in months. “It’s only natural that you think about your mom on that day. She is the reason why your dad moved you and Deliah to Everwood in the first place. She is the reason Andy was able to meet Nina and fall in love again.”
“I know and I’m really glad that they found each other, it’s just all the pain that my we went through to get here, to this place. I think it just all kind of hit me at once of what it took to get here.”
“How long have you been thinking about this.”
“A couple of days, not long.”
“Is that all that’s bothering you?”
“I wish it was.”
Amy waited for Ephram to continue, but finally she asked, “what else is going on?”
“I don’t think I can go back.”
Amy felt the answer in her heart, but asked anyway. “You can’t...go back where?”

“New York.” He sighed, feeling the need to explain himself further. “I’m finally at a point where I’m not bitter and angry about how we came to live in Everwood. I’m happy I’m here and I think I’ve always have been. Now that I’m happy here, I just feel that going back to New York is going to put me in that place again.”
“That’s okay, we can wait…you might feel different in a year.”
“I’ve tried to see myself with you there and I can’t. I didn’t want to tell you because you’ve been wanting to move to New York for so long and I…can’t.” He walked away, tossing the dish rag on the counter.

~*~

“…we can’t wait to meet you here at The Times, Amy. We’ll see you soon, goodbye!”

Amy kept repeating the voicemail over and over…and over and over. She had applied for an internship at one the top magazine publishing firms in New York. It would all be surprise for Ephram when he would get his acceptance letter to Julliard. Amy had it all planned out that she would be able to tell him her good news when he would tell her his good news. She was now contemplating calling The Times and declining her job offer; but it’s what she’s always wanted. Ephram’s what’s she’s always wanted, too. But can she expect Ephram to go against what he feels just for her to be happy.

“Amy…?” Ephram called out to her as he poured his coffee into the travel mug.
“Hey, yeah, sorry. I think I zoned out for a minute.”

“Yeah, you looked frozen. Everything okay?”
“Yeah, of course.” She noticed his overnight bag. “I didn’t think Bright was picking you up until this afternoon.”
“Well.” Ephram made a face, then continued. “First it was just Bright and me, then it Reid joined in. Okay, three guys, not a big deal. Then all of a sudden three extra guys want to join in. So now we’re leaving really early to beat traffic and pick everyone up and get the tent set up.” Ephram exhaled slowly. “I just have to remember that I promised a guy’s weekend before he gets married.”
“You always have fun on these trips.”
“Yeah, I know, I just have to remind myself that it’s going to be great.” Ephram leaned over to kiss Amy goodbye and she deepened the kiss, both of them letting it linger. “Wow, what was that for?”
She sighed. “Just because.”
He gave her a quick kiss on the lips and headed out the door.

~*~

Amy walked around the apartment virtually all afternoon figuring out what was going to be her next move. She promised herself that if she went to New York for a couple of weeks, Ephram would find the courage to come join her. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Amy thought to herself. The plan had to work, she was giddy just thinking about it.

Amy answered questionably to the unknown number. “Hello?”
“Amy Abbott, this is Cathy Ryan, Director of Photography at the New York Times, how are you?”

“I’m good, how are you?” Amy answered carefully, not sure what this phone call meant.
“I’m fantastic! So, I know that we had set up an interview with you next week about an intern position, and I would hate for you travel all this way for a ten minute interview. Are you available for a phone interview?”
“Yeah, yes…I am.”
“Alright. I have a really good eye on talent when I see pictures and what a person has to offer artistically. That being said, I want someone on my team that is also intelligent as well as creative.”
“I agree.”
“So, now that you know what I expect of you, what do you expect to get out of your position at the New York Times?”

Amy was shaking in her boots, totally glad she was able to interview in her favorite pair of jeans and one of Ephram’s old t-shirts. She couldn’t imagine what she would say if being in dressed up in a fancy, uncomfortable office.

“Well, to be honest, I expect to be taken seriously and be able to learn within a city that already provides so much culture on its own. In ever photo, I like to tell a story. I would want to provide the reader with a story inside the picture that coincides with the story the author is trying to convey.”
“Okay and on a rainy day, how do you tell a story?”
“Well, to be honest, with the technology of today’s time, you can take the rain way. You get to the see the beauty in people trying to get away from the rain and still show their true beauty. And if you want, you can always include the rain if your story allows you too.”
“So you’re saying you let the story write itself.”

“Exactly, every story should write itself and we, as authors and storytellers and photographers are just along for the ride.”
“Wow, okay. Have you had any experience in the professional world, college maybe?”
“Just a couple years of college, but those were just general studies. I just photograph around my town of Everwood, Colorado.”

“Well, Amy Abbot, you have done an excellent job showing your craft with just what a small town can offer you.”

“Thank you.”
“And with that, what do you think about Monday?”
“Monday, like three days from now Monday?”
“Yeah, beginning of March.”
“Oh, for the internship?”
“No, I’m offering you a job, Amy Abbott. What you’ve shown me in photographs and what you’ve told me just now, I’m taking a chance on you. Can you get here by Monday?”
“Ummm…yeah, I sure can.” Amy silently kicked herself when accepting the offer so quickly.
“Okay, we’ll see you on Monday morning.”
“Thank you so much!”
“Thank you for being so flexible. Have a good day Amy, goodbye.”

~*~

Amy felt like she blinked and already it was Sunday evening. Ever since her job acceptance, she has been busier than ever. With Bright gone on the trip with Ephram and her parents gone for the weekend, Amy had the entire house to herself to pack up a few things. Every thing she put into a box made her feel even more guilt like she was running away. Well, aren’t I?, Amy constantly thought to herself. When Ephram said he couldn’t go back to New York and it felt like he never wanted things to change. Thinking about all the hardships they faced, did Ephram even want to get married? Did he want to have children? Did Ephram and Amy want the same things now that they were growing up and their futures steadily approaching them. Did Amy think she could change his mind. Did Amy want to change his mind? Looking around, all she did, thinking all she did, was pack up the essentials she would need and send for everything later when Ephram would make is want to New York to be with her.

She slowly clicked the button to transfer funds from the equity account her parents had set up for her at graduation into a separate account to pay first and last month’s rent for apartment in New York. Wow, all it took was just a click, Amy thought to herself when she realized everything was set up. She already had a job lined up, an apartment to move into, and all she had to do was pack. Oh, yeah, and tell the only guy she ever cared about that she was definitely going to New York with or without him.

Amy looked at her phone when the text message tone sounded.

[Ephram:] Just dropped Bright off at the house, be home in a few minutes. Dinner ideas?
[Amy:] After looking in the cabinets and the refrigerator. Pizza, doesn’t look like we’ve been to the store in a while
[Ephram:] Perfect, see you soon. I’ve missed you.
[Amy:] Yeah, me too.

~*~

“That was good, I think better than last time.” Ephram put the pizza box in the recycling container outside and closed the door. “It’s getting colder out there.”
“Yeah, supposed to have some snow tonight, I think.” Amy sipped the last of her wine from the glass and placed it in the sink.
“I’m gonna go take a shower.” He kissed her neck. “Care to join me?”

She smiled, blushing a little. “I’m gonna clean up here.”
He made a fake frown. “Okay, I’ll just be a minute.”
“Okay.” She spoke softly, smiling.

Truth was Amy wanted to have an amazing night in with Ephram. Once hearing the water running, she dropped whatever she had in her hands and ran to the bedroom. She quickly went to the bag with her purchases from The Sweetest Secret Boutique when she was in the middle of town. Slipping it on in the bedroom, she wanted to look good for Ephram, but still felt awkward in sexy lingerie no matter what color or type she tried on.

Ephram came out the shower, just a towel wrapped around his waist. He was stopped by the sight in front of him.

Amy sat on the bed, her hair up in a messy bun and red lingerie slightly hanging off her body.

He walked closer to her. “What did I do to deserve this?”
Her face was soft and honest. “Because I love you and I want you to make love to me.” She lightly smiled, trying not to blush.

When the next kiss started, everything else became a blur.

~*~

Ephram opened his eyes to a dark bedroom and rolled over to find an empty spot next to him. “Amy,” he called out in a whisper. He walked out of the bedroom and smiled at the the hum of her voice in the kitchen.

“There you are.” He kissed the top of her head and read the ice cream label. “Mint chocolate chip?”
“Yeah, I had a craving.”
“Care to share?” Ephram showed him his spoon.
Amy handed him the half empty carton. “You can have the rest.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah.” She tucking her hair behind her ears. “It was full when I took it out of the fridge, so I’ve had more than my fair share.”
“Ice cream, again, in the middle of the night…” Ephram started. “Something you want to talk about?”
Amy sighed. “It’s probably stupid, and I’m probably reading too much into it…but you said you didn’t want to go back to New York…”
“I know, and it’s unfair to you…” Ephram started to twirl his spoon around the bits of leftover ice cream in the carton. “I just feel like I’ll go back to all the stuff with being angry at my dad always being gone, for my mom having an affair…it’s just a lot, you know.”

“Yeah, I get it.” Amy really did get where Ephram was coming from, but a dream was a dream, right?
“Is this a forever thing, like you won’t ever change your mind?”

Ephram shrugged. “Maybe? I don’t know, maybe in a month, I might feel different. With dad and Nina getting married.” Ephram sighed quickly. “It just has a huge affect on everything that’s happened.”
“Yeah, there’s been a lot happening lately.”
Ephram threw the empty carton in the trash and washed off the spoon, placing it in the sink. “One thing I do know…you looked absolutely beautiful in your dress.”
Amy slightly blushed. “Really? I’ve never worn such a dark dress at a wedding. I’m surprised Nina chose those dark colors for a wedding.”
“With Nina, in the middle of everyone else in the dark, she wanted to stand out.” Ephram helped Amy off the bar stool, placing his hands on her waist, placing a light kiss on her lips. “But I only saw you.”
“And you looked very handsome in your tux.”
Ephram laughed. “Yeah, okay.” He kissed her on the mouth. “Let’s go back to the bedroom,” he whispered, lifting Amy up in his arms.

~*~

The sun was hitting Ephram in the face, waking him up. He groaned at looking at the clock and only being eight in the morning. It was Sunday morning and it should be the day of sleeping in, one thing he and Amy disagreed on. Amy always thought getting up early on Sunday morning mean you would have a better chance of starting Monday morning.

“Let me guess, you already made breakfast.” Ephram called out to what he saw as an empty kitchen. “Amy?” He got out his phone and decided to text her Are you coming home soon. A familiar text he’s sent a thousand times when Amy has been out grocery shopping or hanging out with Hannah. He placed the phone back on the table and went to take a shower.

Surely she would have texted by now. Ephram thought to himself when checking his phone after coming out of the bathroom. He didn’t want to sound panicked, but decided to call her anyone, but only reached her voicemail. He prepared what he was going to say and finally had to speak. “Hey Amy, I’m not trying to be the boyfriend who gets worried after an hour of not responding to a text, so you can call me back.”

Three hours later…

“Hey, Ephram, what’s up?” Hannah immediately said when clicking on her phone.
“Have you seen Amy?”

“No, I haven’t. Since you were gone for the weekend, I thought she’d be with you.”
“No, well, she was here last night and this morning, she’s not here. She’s not answering her phone, I’m not doing so well…” Ephram had a nervous laugh, trying to make himself sound stronger.
“Well, Ephram, it’s Everwood, nothing happens here, she’s probably out shopping and forgot her phone.”

“Yeah, probably. Call me when you see her or just have her come home.”

“Yeah, sure…Ephram, are you okay?”
“Umm…no, not really.”

“Look, I’m almost done here at the diner, I’ll be at your house in an hour. Call me when she shows up, okay?”
“Yeah…”

Two hours had passed and Hannah finally arrived at the apartment, there was a sudden lunch rush at the diner, holding Hannah up, she apologized as soon as Ephram opened up the door.

“I just want to know where Amy is.”
“Ephram, whoever she is, I’m sure she’s just fine.”
“Why do I get this feeling in the pit of my stomach that it’s not.”
“What makes you think that?”
“Because I know Amy better than anyone and she just doesn’t leave.”
“Ephram, what are you saying?”
“Right now, I don’t know. I just want Amy back, no matter what it takes.”

“Then she’ll come back. Like you said, Amy doesn’t just leave.”
What if she really did. Ephram had a momentary thought, but knocked it away quickly.

Two days later…

Ephram dialed the familiar number again. He was able to leave messages so he knew Amy was checking her voicemails. With the amount of messages he’s sent to Amy, her inbox would’ve been full within a few hours. After the beep, he sighed and began.

“Amy, I know I’ve left you like a million messages. I know you’ve been checking the messages because I’m still able to leave you a message…okay, I’m rambling, so I’m just going to say this. I love you, I’m in love with you. If this has anything to do with me wanting to move to New York with you, I’m there. I’ll pack everything up, give up the apartment and just let me know where you are. Just let me know you’re okay. I don’t know what I said to you or did to us that would make you want to leave without a simple goodbye or a note, but I am sorry. I’m sorry that you felt you had to go this far to make me hear you. Just please, baby, let me know you’re okay. I love you and I will always love you.”

That night…

“Amy, this is last time I’m going to call, I promise this time…not like the other times…” Ephram sighed. “Anyway. I know you better than anyone, even better than you know yourself. If this is some way of you telling me that you want out, that don’t want to be in a relationship with me, then I’ll give you what you want. It hurts like hell to say it, but I want you to be happy more than anything, even if it means not being here with me. If you come back to Everwood and want to be with someone else, I’m okay with that too, I will walk away. I just want you to be happy. Amy, I love you, baby, I love you so much. So if you’re listening to this and I hope you are and not just deleting the messages, I’ll give you want you and I’m just calling to say goodbye. So, goodbye Amy.”

Ephram ended the phone call, not knowing if he should feel relieved for finally letting Amy go or letting himself feel all the pain and agony of letting the only woman he ever really cared about go. Neither, he chose rage when using all his anger in his hand throwing his phone across the rooms shattering into a million pieces when hitting the wall.

~*~

Andy straightened his neck while fixing himself a sandwich. He had just gotten home from a long surgery in Denver for one of his patients. It was one of his first patients he had when moving to Everwood, Andy felt like had no other choice but to see this case through, no matter what…even if it meant losing sleep. It was nearly one in the morning and he had an appointment coming up at nine, later that morning. He was startled to see his front door opening, knowing he had locked the door. It was relief he first felt when seeing Ephram coming through the front door, using the extra key Andy had given to him.

“Ephram, I’m glad it’s just you at my front door given it’s on in the morning, but Ephram, it’s one in the morning.”

“Yeah, didn’t really have anywhere else to go.”
“Well, usually a nice comfortable bed and you do have someone to share it with, don’t you.”

Ephram stiffened up when having to tell Andy the truth. “Dad, she’s gone,” was all he could say before his voice went awry.
She’s gone? Where would Amy go?”

“New York would be my guess.”
“Well, Ephram, New York is not that far from here and you used to live there, go find her.”

“Dad, it’s not that simple. I woke up this morning Sunday morning and she was gone. I’ve left like a ton of messages. I know she’s checking them because her inbox isn’t full, but she’s not calling me back. I’ve emailed her. I’ve done everything I possible can do to get in touch with her, but I come up short every time.”

“Just going to New York is a reason to leave?”

“I can’t go back there.”

“Why not, we used to live there, as a family.”

“Yeah, that’s it. You, mom, me and Deliah. We were this perfectly rose-colored glasses family. I was angry at you for not being around. I was angry for so long at mom for having an affair. I was just angry at everyone. I was finally happy, finally okay with all of it. I can’t go back.”
“Did you explain any of this to Amy?” Andy checked the clock, loosening up his tie, sleep would have to wait for another night. His son needed him more.
“Yeah, and she still left.”
“Well…okay, let’s talk about it…”

~*~

Amy tucked the hair behind her ears when clicking off her phone, she wiped away a tear as soon as he felt it forming. She heard every one of Ephram’s voicemails. Could she go back, would he really forgive her for leaving? She made a mistake this time of listening to his very last message. She sighed and put on a brave face when walking back into her office. She was soon joined by her Alison, a coworker that befriend Amy on her first day.

“You okay? You were all smiles a few minutes ago.”
“Yeah, just a phone call from my hometown.”
“Everything okay?”
“Not right now.” She sighed. “But it will be.”
“Everything happens for a reason.”
“I hope so.”
“Was it serious?” Allison asked point blank.
“Yeah, it was.”
“Then you can probably apologize for whatever you did…” Alison continued with a lower voice. “What did you do?”
Amy thought about Allison’s question, then answered. “Made the biggest mistake of my life.”
“You’ve only been here a month, you can probably still talk to him.” Alison made a face. “or her.”
Amy smiled lightly. “Him.”

The coffee cart came around, Allison ordered her usual, French Vanilla Cappuccino.

“Want one, my treat?” Allison smiled.
“Nah, I’m good.”
“Really? You’re going to give up French Vanilla and…” Alison stopped when Amy clutched her stomach and mouth running to the bathroom. “Not a fan of coffee this morning, I guess.”

A few minutes later, Amy returned composed and went to work on her computer as it nothing happened.

“Doing okay?” Alison asked, eyeing a more composed Amy.
“Yeah, sorry, must be something going around?”
“Let me recount these symptoms.” Alison started counting with her fingers. “You’re nauseous with coffee, walking like a zombie yesterday and you got the tuna melt which nobody gets. Are you pregnant or something?”
“Yeah, doubt it.”

Amy went on her computer, so Alison wouldn’t notice she looking up the calendar.

Uh oh.”

~*~
Nice read. You know what? I guess I am thinking about Berlanti's Everwood when I say I don't really blame Amy for her actions in your Everwood world. Not right now I don't. I understand what is going on inside her mind and heart. I also feel like in Berlanti's Everwood, Amy had to deal with a lot... Colin dying, Ephram impregnating someone else, Ephram breaking up with her and leaving for Europe while her mom was seriously ill, etc. She went through a lot and was basically unable to really move and make her own independent decisions. She was stuck in Everwood sort of being forced to allow these heartaches to come at her without really having the opportunity to get away herself and make her own decisions, even if they were not the correct ones at the time. They were still her own choices and decisions and there's a freedom with this reality.

I like that Amy in your world is making mistakes because finally she has a voice, room to breathe, and CAN go there.

So great read (nice twist at the end!) and looking forward to the next chapter!

Last edited by jediwands; 02-28-2020 at 12:19 PM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I can't wait to read this, Patricia! I will tackle it tomorrow.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I can't wait to read this, Patricia! I will tackle it tomorrow.
sweet
{EphramAmy}
patricia
break the window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Chapter 5

Present Day

~*~

“Mom, Dad.” Amy blurted out when she saw her parents starring back at her at her front door.
“I guess you are surprised to see us since we had no idea you had moved back to Everwood and had even less information on where you lived.” Rose stated matter of fact as she and Harold were invited into Amy’s apartment.
“So much has happened and I didn’t get around to telling anyone.”
“Well, you told Andy, Nina and pretty much everyone else in Everwood but didn’t bother to tell your parents?”
“Well, mom, sometimes you don’t need to know everything.”
“Like when you went to New York and never called or even sent an email. So why should we expect you tell us anything now?”

Amy closed the door, pursing her lips together, trying to stifle her anger in wanting to be defensive.

“Mom, dad…if you just came to ask why I didn’t come home for seven years, then why did you bother to find out where I lived.”
“Because Christmas Eve is tomorrow and I thought it would be nice to spend time with my children. You can think Brighton for blurting out your secret.”

Bright will pay for this Amy thought to herself, before speaking.

“Well, you’re here and it is Christmas. So what are your plans?”
“It is early afternoon, why not lunch? The diner didn’t seem too busy?”
“Actually, I have a photo shoot later for work, and it takes a while to drive out there.”
“A photo shoot, what, you’re a photographer now?” Harold chimed in, looking displeased to be learning about the details about his daughter’s life so late in the game.
“Yes, dad, I went with my passion in life and became a freelance photographer. I had a really good job in New York that gave me a lot of experience and opportunities that I'm able to use in my work here in Everwood.”
“If you had so many opportunities in such a big city, why come back to Everwood.” Harold stated, then continued. “I mean, it’s New York, the land of endless glitz and glamour.”

“Family, and I wanted to come home.”

Amy’s anxiety went from zero to ten when she heard her front door open and Ben’s laughter filling the living room and Ephram closely behind him.

“Suddenly it makes sense.” Rose smiled, then turned her attention to Ephram. “Hello there, it’s nice to see you again.”
Ephram looked at Amy and knew Rose and Harold were an unplanned visit. “Mr. and Mrs. Abbott, it’s very nice to see you again.”
“As you, Ephram.” Harold patted him on his back, then pointed at Ben. “And who is this youngster?”

“This is Ben.” Ephram looked at Amy, knowing today was going to be a lot more awkward.
“Hi!” Ben waved to both his grandparents. “I’m Ben…I’m Seven!” He held up his fingers and counting to seven to make sure had the right amount.
Rose knelt down to his level. “Well, you are just the most adorable little thing.”
“Thanks.” Ben smiled, he took out a toy from his bag. “This is what my dad got me today.”
Amy also knelt down to Ben. “Hey, buddy, can you put all your new toys your dad got you into your room so you can show everyone later?”
“That’s a good idea, thanks mom!”

Amy swallowed hard, closing her eyes and opening them up slowly and let the chills run down her spine as she stood up.

Amy spoke quickly. “Mom, dad…Ben is my…our son.” She nodded towards Ephram.

Rose and Harold stood there, looking shocked and almost frozen. When Harold realized he could finally move, he said, “son?”
“Yep, crazy isn’t it?”
“So you let when you found out you were pregnant?” Rose asked seriously, I mean he’s seven years old and the last time we’ve seen or heard anything from you was, seven years ago. How could you do that?”
“Mom.” Amy softened her delivery. “I didn’t know I was pregnant until I was in New York for a couple of weeks.”
Harold turned to Ephram. “You know about this and didn’t tell us either?”
“Umm..” Ephram had a nervous smile and looked at Amy.
Harold looked at Ephram, then at Amy. “Please tell me you at least told Ephram that he was going to be a father.”
“Dad.” She sighed heavily. “It wasn’t that simple.”

Simple? It’s a phone call, Amy. It’s calling someone that needed to know his entire life was going to change.”
“Look, I know all that now. It was a huge mistake that I’m trying to make up for everyday. It’s one of the reasons why I came back to Everwood. I wish I would have done things differently.”

“Why didn’t you?” Harold looked from Amy to Ephram. “You’re okay with this, just not knowing you have a son for his entire life.”
Ephram spoke softly. “That’s something between me and Amy.”
“So you’re just co-parenting now?” Rose asked her daughter, face to face.
“Yeah, I don’t know, yes, probably.”
Probably. This isn’t about the two of you, Amy. This is about a boy who’s entire life will be affected from the decisions you made.”
“Dad, he’s only seven.”
He’s only seven. Do not tell me it doesn’t affect him. Children start developing the personality traits at the age of two and they start being independent by the age of six.” Harold sighed and was going to continue until Ephram stepped in front of Amy. “You’re defending her?”
“Yeah, the mother of my child, yes, I am.”
“Please tell me, at some point, you were not okay with this.”

“Yeah, sure, but that’s between Amy and I…not the two of you.”
Harold made a face at Ephram, not believing the scenario in front of him. “So are you two a couple now to your child?”
Ephram folded his arms. “Sure.”
“I don’t think we’re going to get anywhere right now, Harold. We should go, let everyone cool off.”
“Thank you, Mrs. Abbott.”
“What does Ben think about all of this. How can everyone just be okay with this.”
Amy stepped beside Ephram. “We are all working on this. It’s taking time.”
“I can’t believe my own daughter would keep my own grandchild away from me…from us, his entire family. We didn’t raise you like this.”
Amy tucked the strands of hair behind her ears that fell from her ponytail. “Are you done?”
“No, young lady, I’m not done.”
Ephram cleared his throat, then spoke. “Yes, you are.”
“Who are you to tell me…”
“All do respect sir, this isn’t your house. This is Amy’s house.” Ephram glanced back at Amy’s tear stained face. “It doesn’t look like she’s really comfortable being badgered in her own house.”
Rose turned to her daughter. “Amy?”
Amy finally spoke. “I’d like you to leave…I promise we’ll talk about this later.”
“Seven years later?” Harold stated. “Why not when Ben graduates high school, or, you know, will we even know about that either.”
“Harold, come on, we’ve said enough, we’ll figure this out later.”

When Rose and Harold left, Amy was finally able to breathe and relax. Just when she thought things were starting to be at a normal pace, her decisions are continuing to bite back at her.

“I’m sorry about that, I had no idea they were going to stop by.”

“The more times goes on, I have a hard time figuring out why you did what you did.”
“You know, Ephram, so am I. I can’t believe I was so stupid to keep Ben a secret, going to New York a secret.”
“Even though I don’t agree with what was said, your dad had a point.”

“Seriously, you’re siding with my dad…you never side with my dad.”
“Where do we stand, Amy?”
“Stand, what do you mean?”
“What are we to each other? Are we co parenting, dating or just having sex?” Ephram made a face alluding to when they slept together the night Ben wanted to stay with Andy and Nina.
“Honestly, I thought we were building something.”
“So if you introduce me to someone, what am I? Ben’s father, your boyfriend…what?”
Amy sighed and blushed at the same time. “I don’t know. I was focusing on Ben being happy and he is happy with he spends time with you.”

“And I like to spend time with him. But sooner or later, he’s going to ask why mom and dad don’t live in the same house.”
“Parents live in separate houses all the time.”
“Yeah, divorced parents and separated parents.”
“Honestly…Ephram, the way I orchestrated things, I’m afraid to ask. Do I have a right to ask?”
“Honestly, I’m afraid to get to a place when everything is great, like it was last time and then you leave because you have this amazing opportunity and you leave…with Ben.”
“I’m not going anywhere.”
“And I really want to believe you. When you first got here and things were hard, you said something about taking Ben back to New York because it was easier.”
“I didn’t mean that.”

“But you said it.” Ephram sighed and continued. “How can I trust that you mean what you say? You hold all the power. You have Ben, you can take Ben anywhere you want because, according to the birth certificate, up until a short while, I do not exist.”

“So I guess we’re never getting back together since it’s obvious you don’t trust me.”

“Amy, I’m always going to be in love with you and want to spend the rest of my life with you.” He stated and saw Amy’s hopeful smile across her lips. “But I think we need to take some time apart.”
Amy was silent for a moment, taking in the words Ephram just said. “Well, what about Ben. We can’t not talk to each other?”
Ephram cleared his throat. “There’s a teacher convention coming up, in Atlanta. It’s a three day event. We totally disconnect, no phone calls, no text, no email, completely off the grid.”
“Three days? What about Ben?”
The little boy made himself known. “What about me?”

Ephram grimaced at Amy before kneeling down to Ben.

“Hey Buddy… I'm going out of town for a few days.”
“Oh, cool, can I come?”
“Well, it’s kind of a boring teacher conference. It’s only a, well, two and half day trip. I leave Friday and come back Sunday.”
“Can we hang out on Sunday when you get back?”

“Of course we can, you and me, all day.”

“All Day! That’s so cool!”
“As soon as my flight lands, I’ll make sure to get the earliest one.”
“That’s so cool!”
Amy mimicked Ben. “That’s cool!”
“Can mom come too?” Ben looked up positively at his father.
“We’ll see, we might want to me it just us guys.”
“Hear that mom, I’m one of the guys!”
“Yes, I heard…makes you feel good, huh?”

~*~

Ephram stopped at the open doorway before leaving, he and Amy faced each other.

“I’ve been thinking about a lot of things, Amy and I think we’ve been going around in circles for too long.”
“Ah hah.” She nodded in agreement.
“From what I said earlier…I do think we need both need to figure out what we are to each other.”
“Uh..huh?” She nodded, confused.
“What I mean is, who are we and why are we together?” He saw Amy’s face crinkle up even more. “What I mean is…” He sighed heavily. “We obviously love each other, that, hopefully, will never change. But are together because we are in love with each other. Are we together because we share a son? Are we together because of what we had before New York happened. I’m asking those questions every night I leave this apartment or you leave my house. I think a few days apart, asking those questions, will give us the answers we need.”
“What about Ben, I mean, you can just go three days without talking to your son.” Amy read his look of I went seven years not knowing I had a son. “He’ll want to talk to you, tell you about his day.”

“Honestly, I don’t know the schedule of this thing, what time any activities are. I think Bright has all that information.”
Bright?” Amy almost had to stifle a laugh. “Bright is the one who is keeping up with everything.”

Ephram sighed again, leaning against the door frame. “Yeah, it was actually his…well more Hannah’s, suggestion that I go, get away from Everwood for a while.”
“What about Hogan, what if he needs you.”
Ephram smiled, fixing his posture. “That kid’s doing better than me now. All he needed was a little guidance and a step in the right direction, that’s all.”
“Kind of like us.”
“Yep, kind of like us.”
Amy let out the breath she was holding. “So this is it…until Sunday.”
“Sunday, for a minute because I’m sure Ben is planning all sorts of things for us to do on our guys trip.”
“What are you planning anyway?”
“I don’t know, it’s up to him.”
“He’ll love it.”

“Yeah, I know he will.”
“And you’ll love it too.”

“I’m more excited for him than I am for me.”
“Yep, that’s what being a parent is all about.”
“Yeah, I guess it is.”

Both of them wanted to go in for a goodnight kiss, and stood in the doorway until Ephram’s phone went off and Amy closed the door.

~*~

“I cannot believe you’re dragging me to a teacher convention.” Bright threw his bag into the cab and joined Ephram in the backseat as the rode off to the airport.
“Louder, Bright, I’m not sure Mrs. Saxton over on Bloomfield Avenue heard you.”
“What’s with the secret. We’re going to a teacher convention, not exactly risqué activity.”
“Well, Amy thinks it was your idea for the convention.”

“Me, moue? Why would Amy…oh, because you told her it was my idea, didn’t you.”

“I couldn’t tell her it was my idea to get away from her for a couple of days to clear my head?”

'“Why not, it would be the truth. Aren’t us as teachers supposed to teach our youth about telling the truth.”

“Okay, someone read the manual.”
“Hannah was trying on dresses and I got bored.”

“And you took up reading? Brighton Abbott, I’m touched.”
“So you’re really going to this thing to just get away from my sister?”
“Bright, every time I look at her, I feel this knot in my stomach that I felt the day I knew she wasn’t coming back. I have this feeling, every day, that I’m going to wake up to an empty apartment again. I need time to think. Everything in Everwood reminds me of her and I need to think about what I want to do with things that don’t remind me of her.”
“Do you have any idea what you do want to do?”
“Pretend like New York never happened.”
“Then it didn’t.”
“What do you mean?”
“Take out everything that happened in the past seven…eight years. Focus on Amy…just her and how you feel about her. That is what you want right, to figure out who you are with her and not everything else that goes along with it?”
“Dude, where is this coming from? It almost makes sense and that’s a lot coming from you.”

“I’m married to a guidance counselor, advice is twenty-four seven around the house. I can’t help but eavesdrop on Hannah’s one-sided phones calls.”
“Does she know you do that or just think you’re kinda smart?”
“I think she knows. On the really important, confidential phone calls, she locks the guest bedroom door and puts and puts a blanket under the door to block out any noise.”
“Damn, she’s good.”

“You’re telling me.”

~*~

Rose opened the door, stunned to see her daughter and grandson before her.

“Hi mom.” Amy smiled.
“Hi grandma!” Ben waved.
“Well, isn’t this a surprise, I wasn’t expecting you until…well…I don’t know when to expect you.”
“Mom, can I go play outside?”
“Ben, I think it’s a little cold to be playing outside.” Amy spoke to her son, then eyed her mother for an alternate plan.
“Ben, there’s a big screen tv to watch in the living room if you like.”
“Awesome, thanks Grandma!” Ben zoomed through out of Amy’s grasp and plopped himself on the couch and flicked on the tv with the remote.
“Happy as a clam, good thinking…Grandma.”
“I figured it would give us time to talk.”

Amy sighed heavily, not ready to go through it again, but whatever it takes to mend all ties she promised herself she would be willing to take the leap.

“What do you want to ask?”
“First, I wanted to apologize for our behavior a couple of nights ago. I feel just awful the way we stormed your apartment.”
“It’s okay.”

“No, it’s not. I may not agree with the decisions you made with that adorable little boy, but the decisions were made and they cannot be changed now.”
“I didn’t know I was pregnant until after I had moved to New York and got settled.”
“The pregnancy, you didn’t know about that, Amy…but what about Ephram? You and him were inseparable, and happy…or so it looked.”
“We were…still are…on both accounts. Ephram and I made all these plans to go New York before we even graduated from County High. We found good, affordable places to live. Ephram looked up jobs near Julliard and I looked up places to work and it was…perfect actually. The more I think about it, it becomes even more perfect because it didn’t happen.”

“Why didn’t it happen?”

“Ephram was settled in Everwood, he wanted to build his life, our life.”
“And you didn’t?”
“I did, well I do now, I just had this dream of living in the city, with Ephram, him showing me all those places he remembered when he actually lived there. I actually had this, and it sounds stupid, this, I guess, fantasy of him showing me his mom’s grave…so I could, you know, talk to her.”
“That’s very heartwarming, Amy, I think he would’ve wanted you to talk to her.”

Amy smiled, showing her dimples, fiddling her fingers as she spoke about what life could’ve been. “Ephram told me sometimes that Julia would’ve liked and we would’ve been really good friends.”
Rose saw Amy’s face fall. “Why does that make you sad?”
“Because…” Amy caught her voice and cleared her throat, tucking the hair behind her ears, sniffling. “Because the only reason that Ephram is in Everwood is because Andy made a promise to Julia after she died. I thought, maybe, just maybe, if Ephram and I were in New York together, he would show me her grave site and be able to connect with her again.” Amy wiped her teared eyes. “Yeah, like I said, stupid, huh?”

“That is not stupid, Amy Abbott. I would give anything for Harold to be able to visit Edna’s grave site and have just one more conversation with her, to connect with his mother in a way to still have a relationship with her.”
“So I had this idea in my head that Ephram would follow me, that our love for each other would be enough for him to pack up everything and move to New York.”
“Did he know where you were?”
Amy’s face grew read. “No.”
“Then how could he find you? Did you even tell him where you were?”

“He figured it out.” Amy spoke in a whisper, pursing her lips together.
Figured it out, you didn’t tell him?”

“I knew that if I talked to him, I’d come back and give up New York.”

“Why didn’t you?”

“It was my dream to live in New York and have a life there.”

“What about Ephram, does he fit into your dream?”

“He is my dream and I think I might lose him.”

“Why do you say that? You two have been inseparable and that son of yours is adorable.”
“But can we erase the past. Can we get passed the elephant in the room and can he forgive me?”
“I can’t speak for Ephram, but he loves you. The way he defended you even though he doesn’t agree with what you did. That’s love.”
“Have you ever done anything that you thought was stupid in the years you’ve been married to dad?”
“I didn’t necessarily do anything. But remember that little thing I had…cancer?”
“Yeah, can’t forget that.”
“Here are me and your father thinking I’m pregnant again, happy as clams and what do you know, I have cancer, knocks us both right off our feet.”

“That was hard on everyone.”
“Not as hard as it really was. Your father puts on a brave face, but he was going through a tough time. He and I lean on each other when one of you kids is going through something. But when it was me going through something and he had to be the only parent to you and Bright, he was the one who held it together. That’s when I felt it, even after almost twenty years of marriage, he was the love of my life. I always knew it, when we looked at each other. Even on the times I’d come home late form another meeting at the mayor’s office that ran late, he’d stay up to wait for me and I swear, it was the same look he had in his eyes the first few months we were married and I’d had that crummy job at a local store that kept odd hours for a small town.”

“Wow, that’s not what I expected.”
“And that’s it, love is something you never suspect. You can’t see it, you can’t go and look for it, Amy. You have to feel it in here.” Rose placed her right hadn’t over Am’s heart. “Feel your heart racing when Ephram’s around or feel a flutter when his name is mentioned and he’s not even in the room. That is love and that’s what you hold onto even in the darkest times.”
“When do the darkest times end?”

“Sometimes they never really do, you just have to see the light and know that tomorrow will be an even better day than yesterday.”
Amy brushed the hair out of her face and wiped her eyes again with a tissue. “Wow, again, unexpected emotion.”
“Be careful, all the crying townspeople are going to think you’re pregnant.”

They both laughed.

~*~

“Remind me next year to never go with you to one of these things.” Bright plopped onto the other bed inside his and Ephram’s double room. “Borefest. Even the activities are a snoozefest.”
“Yeah.” Ephram replied, still scrolling through his laptop.
“What is so important that you cannot pay attention to what I’m saying.”
“I am paying attention.”
Okay, then what did I just say?”

“You were ranting about how you don’t want to come back and the activities are what you call a borefest.”
“You’re really good at listening when it looks like you aren’t listening.”

“Comes with being a good teacher. Highly effective.”
“You’re gonna have to teach me that.”
“No…special secret. I can’t be giving out too many tricks of the trade, I won’t have anything to the kids on the toes.”
“What are you doing over there?”
Ephram was silent, then finally answered with a catch in his voice.
“Shopping?”

“Shopping for what?”
“Well, the correct type of speech would be who?”
“Then who are you shopping for?”
“Your sister.”
“Oh, what are you buying Amy?” Bright leaned slightly over to try and see Ephram’s computer screen and saw the look on Ephram’s face. “With that look on your face, I don’t want to know.”
“You will find out in due time, my faithful friend.”
“You do know it’s Saturday, right?”

“Yep, comes just after Friday.”
“You said you were going to make up your mind about what to do by the time you arrived home. We leave, thankfully, really early in the morning.”
“I planned…or Ben is planning an entire guys day for me and him when I get back. So I might not even get to talk to Amy until Monday.”
“And you might want to hide the tail between your legs.”
“What’s that supposed to be mean.”
“You’re using Ben as your scapegoat.”

“I am not.”
“Okay, I’m not going to go there with the childish are too throwback. Why not talk to her before you and Ben have the guys day?”

“Bright, Amy and I have never been able to have just a short, straight to the point conversation.”
“You usually end up fighting.”
Ephram smirked. “Or sleeping together.”
“Uh, dude, come on, that’s my sister. It’s enough that we’re even talking about this.”

“Sorry, just happened.”
“And it didn’t change anything.”

“That’s one of the reasons why I wanted to get away for the weekend, clear my head.”
“And you dragged me on your weekend of feelings discovery.”

“Yeah, I needed a reason to get out of town and why Ben couldn’t come with me.”
“Would you stay with Amy just for Ben?”
“Well, I love her, so yeah.”
“See.” Bright pointed fast to his friend. “That, right there, without hesitation, you’re still in love with her.”

“I never said I was not in love with her. I just didn’t know if I could get past the…past and be able to move on from it.”
“Why can’t you?”
“Because I see my son, Ben and he’s fantastic. I forget…well a lot of the times, that I wasn’t there for seven years. Then he’ll mention something about New York or toys he’s had when he was younger and it comes back all over again. Having to figure out that Amy left. Having to tell the entire town that Amy left and lying to some saying she was visiting friends when we all know Amy doesn’t know anyone…or didn’t know anyone outside of the state of Colorado.”
“So are you unsure of your future because of how it made you feel about Ben and missing out or how it made you feel in going through the motions in accepting that Amy was gone.”
Ephram looked at his friend. “Who are you and what have you done with Bright?”

“Married a guidance counselor. You cannot be around Hannah and not get some benefit out of it. I just let go of who I was to become who I wanted to be…for her. Now, the question is, who do you want to be to Amy? Ben’s father, boyfriend, husband…just a friend?”
Ephram finally shut his laptop and put it back in the case. “All of the above?”
“Are you asking me or telling me, because you just answered with a question.”

Ephram’s phone started ringing, checking his watch, he questioned why Amy was calling him past ten.

“Hey, is everything okay?”
“Yeah, it’s good…for most of the world, but not for Ben.”

Ephram went into the hallway giving himself privacy.

“What happened, is he okay, what’s going on?”
“Well, no, not physically. Our baby has the flu. He’s been in his room all day. Now he’s asleep beside me on the couch. He fell asleep to cartoons.”
“Spongebob?”
“Yep, he loves Patrick.”

“Patrick was always the cool one.”
“You did always like the underdog.”
“When did he start feeling bag.”
Amy thought. “Early this morning.”

“Why didn’t you tell me? I would’ve come home.”
“Ephram’s he’s good. I asked if he wanted me to call you and he wanted to prove he was one of the guys and get healed before you come home.” Amy kept brushing the hair out of his face as he slept soundly. “He’s sleeping really good now, first time he’s been settled all day. I think the worst of it’s over.”
“Is this his first time having the flu?”
“Yeah, I think so. I thought he had it another time in New York, turns out it was just too much ice cream and cotton candy…and milk duds.”
Ephram fell silent, his heart ached for the time he missed. “Yeah, that will do it.”
“Then I guess you and Bright don’t have to rush home.”
“Are you kidding, I feel like I’ve been sucked into the land of pocket protectors.”
Amy stifled her laugh, not wanting to wake Ben. “It couldn’t have been that bad.”
“Oh, yes, it is that bad. I don’t think I’ll ever make the same mistake again.”
“Can you book and earlier flight?”

Ephram walked quietly back into the room, the lights were turned off and Bright was snoring louder than a beaver.

“I would but your brother is more asleep than Rip Van Winkle.”
“He’s a sleeper, that’s for sure.”
“Yeah, first flight out tomorrow morning.”
“Can’t wait, we’ve missed you.”
“I’ve missed you all too.”
“I’m going to hang up with you and carry this sleepy boy to bed.”
“Give him a kiss for me.”
“I will. Night…love you.” Amy said without thought.
Ephram paused, not knowing what to say, but followed Bright’s advice and went with what he was feeling. “Yeah, I love you too, see you tomorrow.”
“Night.”
“Bye.”

Ephram was slow in ending the phone call. What if it was just a weekend away for them to realize what was important. Anyone within ear shot would swear it was a couple, married and parents to a sick child talking on the phone. It felt organic and right. It finally felt real.

[author's note: there really is a teacher's conference in Atlanta...just happens to be in May https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-tea...s-65182063306]

~*~

Monday evening, Ephram let himself into Nina and Andy’s house and was immediately greeted by a jumpy seven year old.

“Ben? What are you doing here? Where’s mom?”
“In your room. I think I got her sick.” Ben fiddled with his fingers as his mother has done time after time.
Andy interjected. “Amy is showing signs of having the flu, she most likely caught it from Ben.”
“See Ben, just the flu, you feel just fine now, don’t you?”

“But I made mom sick…I didn’t mean to dad, I promise.”
“I know you didn’t. Watch some tv, I’m going to go check on your mom.”

Ephram walked into what used to be his old bedroom and found Amy fast asleep under the covers. He started to clean up the two empty bowls of what looked to be chicken soup and threw the napkins into the trash. Once he started to make his way towards the door, he heard her voice.

“Don’t leave.”
He turned around. “You should get some rest.”
“I’ve been resting all day.”

Ephram placed the bowls on the computer desk and sat beside her on the bed. “How are you feeling,” he asked when placing his hand on her cheeks and nodded that she still felt warm.
“Better than I was a few days ago. I guess Ben is younger, he can kick it faster than I can?”
Kick it? Ephram laughed at Amy’s speech. “I think my room is giving you old speech vibes.”
“I think I’ve flushed all my brain cells down the toilet.”
“That’s an interesting visual.”
Amy laughed, then clutched her stomach. “Yep, still hurts.”
“I can stay with you, if you like, or if you want to get some rest.”
“I don’t really want to get up. You can take Ben out to do guy excursion stuff if you want to.”
“Ben feels pretty bad though.”

“Still, I better, check…”
Amy started to raise up the blanket and Ephram stopped her. “You can stop being a mom for a second, let me be the dad for a little while.” He kissed her quickly on the forehead. “He thinks he got you sick.”
“Technically…”
Amy.”
“He did, but he didn’t. I wasn’t feeling that great when I called you anyway. We probably caught the same thing at the same time.”
“Who knows, the flu is airborne.”
“Thank you doctor. Andy told me that earlier this morning when I showed up at his doorstep with Ben, who was all done with his flu and me, not having slept a wink, and hair looked like it was in fifty different directions.”
“He took pity on you.”
“Someone had too.”
“You sleep and I’ll go take care of our boy.”
“Thanks.” Amy barely spoke before her eyes shut closed and she fast asleep.

Ephram placed a kiss on the side of her head and squeezed her hand before picking up the dishes and leaving the room, letting Amy rest.

~*~

Monday afternoon, with Ben in tow, Ephram opened up the door to Amy’s apartment and couldn’t believe his eyes when Amy starred back at him with her rosy cheeks and dark brown eyes.

“You look like you’re feeling better.”
“I am, thanks. Your old bed is mighty comfortable though.”
“Um, thank you?”
“Seriously, best sleep I’ve had in ages.”
“Probably because you were being taken care of.” He leaned over and kissed her. “How was Casa Ala Brown?”
“Surprisingly…strange, I guess? I don’t know. I mean, I felt comfortable there and very welcomed. But it’s different from just being there visiting and hanging out with you and not actually living there a couple of nights.”
“So you’re good, all better?”

“Yep, The Great Doctor Brown cleared me and I’m good as new.”
“Good because there’s something I want to talk to you about.”
“Sure.”
Amy looked down the hallway and towards Ben’s room, Ephram spoke up. “He has a new video game to play, he’ll be there for hours.”
Hours, Ben has the attention span of a twig.”
“Not when it involves Spongebob.”

“Good thinking, dad!”
“I thought so.”
Amy settled more into her seat. “So what’s on your mind.”
“I thought a lot about us while in Atlanta.”
“Yes, boredom capital of the world. Keep going.” Amy smiled.
Ephram cleared his throat, silencing his laugh. “It hurts every time you or Ben mention events in his life before you came to Everwood and, honestly, I don’t think that’s ever going to change. But I cannot let that get in the way of the memories and the adventures we’ll have together as he grows up and becomes the man he needs to be.” Amy sighed, lighting the tension, Ephram continued. “And I can’t let the past, get in the way of how i feel about you.” He held her right hand in his. “I love you and I’m always going to love and I can say it a thousand times and it wouldn’t be enough. I’m always going to be in love with you.” Ephram sighed, letting that sink again and he continued. “But we need to get past this, get past the past. We need to more forward and I came to a conclusion.” They both sighed at the same. “I want to take you out on a date.”
Amy blushed, giggling. “A date, Ephram, I think we’re past the dating period.”
“I want to get to know as who you are now and so we can grow together as who we are now. I think I’m stuck of who we used to be and it keeps weighing on me of how I used to feel. How i fell now, with you, and Ben is how I want to feel, about everything, past and present. I always said it’s going to take time and I when I said it, I wasn’t sure if that time would ever come. But it has.” Ephram fought back the tears he knew were trying to well up in his eyes. “I want us to fall in love as us, as who we are now and not hold onto what we were. It’s apart of us, but it’s not our whole story. Our whole story hasn’t been written yet.”
“Are we starting a whole new book or just a new chapter?”
Ephram thought about Amy’s question. “New Chapter. And I have the first three words that define everything.”
Amy asked softly, smiling. “And what is that?”
“I...forgive...you.”

~*~
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 03-19-2020, 08:18 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

^ Thanks!
Old 03-19-2020, 03:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I have to start reading! It will definitely be a distraction from the nightmare we are living in. Thanks, Patricia!!
Old 03-20-2020, 09:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
Nice read. You know what? I guess I am thinking about Berlanti's Everwood when I say I don't really blame Amy for her actions in your Everwood world. Not right now I don't. I understand what is going on inside her mind and heart. I also feel like in Berlanti's Everwood, Amy had to deal with a lot... Colin dying, Ephram impregnating someone else, Ephram breaking up with her and leaving for Europe while her mom was seriously ill, etc. She went through a lot and was basically unable to really move and make her own independent decisions. She was stuck in Everwood sort of being forced to allow these heartaches to come at her without really having the opportunity to get away herself and make her own decisions, even if they were not the correct ones at the time. They were still her own choices and decisions and there's a freedom with this reality.

I like that Amy in your world is making mistakes because finally she has a voice, room to breathe, and CAN go there.

So great read (nice twist at the end!) and looking forward to the next chapter!
I agree...Amy should be her own person and make her own decisions. I just wish she would have told Ephram what they were. She and Ephram were so close, so I think it's kind of cruel to just leave and ghost him.

I'm ready to read the newest installement!
Old 03-20-2020, 10:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I agree...Amy should be her own person and make her own decisions. I just wish she would have told Ephram what they were. She and Ephram were so close, so I think it's kind of cruel to just leave and ghost him.
I delved into more of her reasoning for leaving the way she did in the chapter I just posted.
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 03-20-2020, 11:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:

I'm ready to read the newest installement!
This sounds weird but I like in my mind in Patricia’s version Amy is getting a little bit of revenge due to what happened to her in Berlanti’s version. LOL.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

A Christmas Homecoming in Everwood: Chapter 6

Almost One Year Later.

“Is all your homework done?” Amy asked Ben when he came into the kitchen and grabbed a juice box.
“Yep!”
“Okay, then let me see it.”
“Do you have to see my homework every time?
“Yes, Benjamin, it’s either me or your dad. Ever since you pulled that stunt of handing in some first grade version of your biography report of Thomas Jefferson, yeah, we will check your homework. I can always have your dad check it and you know how loves to use his red pen.”
“Fine.” Ben sighed and walked slowly back to his room.
“Oh and I want to see the paper now, not when you’re getting ready for bed and you’re too tired to even keep your eyes open. Your dad and I have fell for that one too many times.”
“Yes, mom.”
I always loved showing my homework to mom and dad, this behavior must be an Ephram trait Amy thought to herself when answering her phone.

“Hey, Ephram, I was just thinking about you.”

“Good thoughts I hope.’

“Depends, did you always show your mom or Andy your homework?”
Ephram scoffed. “No way, who does that?”
“Then our son definitely gets it from you.” Amy sighed, giggling a little.

“He’s being secret about his homework again?”

“Yep. He’s supposed to be bringing me his homework like now…you can talk to him about that when you get home.”
Ephram smiled. “I love that we get to do that, talk to our child about his homework.”
“Yep and he’s only in the fourth grade, it’s just the beginning. Lots of opportunities.”
“Maybe he’ll grow out of it.”
“Hmm, maybe.”
“So, you up for a little trip?”
Amy caught a chill with just the thought of going out into the cold weather. “Ephram, it is below freezing outside.”
“It’ll be worth it, I promise. Bring Ben along too.”
“What is this short trip all about?”
“You’ll see. Meet me at 1419 Ashburn Street.”
“We’ll be there. You just made Ben’s night since this is a complete diversion from reviewing his homework.”

“Bring the homework with you, Ben should know he cannot escape reality.”
“Good, you can tell him that when he has that cute little pushed out bottom lip look on his face when we arrive to wherever this Ashburn Street is.”
“It’s not far.”
“See you in a bit!”

Before Amy could get Ben’s name out of her mouth, he was already dressed in his winter coat, gloves and his shoes put back on.

“Are you excited to be going somewhere, Benjamin?”
“Yep, sure am! Do you want me to get your coat for you?”

“Yes, that would be nice.” She made a face at her son who was being suddenly polite. “Ben, your dad said to bring your homework with you, something about not escaping reality.”
“Okay, I’ll go get it!” He spoke loudly when running to his bedroom.
“What happened to the son I just had no more than five minutes ago?” Amy thought out loud.
“Okay, I’m ready.” Ben smiled brightly up to his mother. Ben grabbed onto Amy’s hand. “We have to go, the snow is supposed to start soon.”
“Okay, okay. It’s not a race, Ben, we have time.”

“No, we don’t!”

~*~

Amy’s GPS located her to Ashburn Street. Hmm, this house looks oddly familiar. She thought ot herself when turning the car off. Before she could unfasten her seatbelt, Ben was halfway to the door.

“Ben, knock first, I don’t know where we are.” She called out to her son but he had already bust through the front door. Amy smiled when she heard a little faint Ben, walk! voice come form inside the house and knew it was Ephram. Well, that solves one part of the mystery, now on to part two. Amy thought again.

Amy knocked softly on the front door and let herself in. Ben charged into the house so fast the door didn’t shut all the way. The living room was decorated with a table with three chairs and a pizza from Dominos.

“Ephram, I assume you had something to do with this?” She called out to an empty room and began to walk around. “Oh, Ephram Brown…pizza is getting cold. You hate cold pizza.”
He appeared around the corner, a childish grin on his face. “I was thinking, forty people can fit in this living room for Christmas…what do you think?” He took her hands in his, bringing her into a soft kiss.
“Wow, forty people? Do we know forty people and Christmas isn’t for two months.”

They worked themselves into each other’s arms dancing around the room.

“Do you remember this house?”
She looked up at him, confused. “No, should I?” Ephram kept looking down at her and the memories finally came to her. “You mean the one Hannah sent us on that bogus delivery thing or something?”
“Yeah, delivery that the restaurant didn’t even offer and we both fell for it.”

“Yeah, I remember now. But why are we here?”
“Well, Ben mentioned something about wanting a back yard and my house has less of a yard than a tiny apartment. So, Ben and I were looking around the neighborhood and found this house…and it was, oddly enough, never put on the market.”
“So you and Ben were house hunting without me?”
Ephram twirled Amy around and she floated back into his arms. “Yeah and Ben wants the room that faces the back yard. He likes to see the snow, reminds me of the city.”
“Ephram, this is insane. We haven’t even talked about moving, yet.”
“But we’ve talked about having more kids.” He nodded with Amy and continued. “We’ve talked about getting married,” he nodded with Amy again. “I want us to build a life together, in Everwood…in this house.”
“I know nothing about buying a house, but isn’t there some process of talking to someone.”
“Ben is a pretty savvy negotiator.”
Amy stopped immediately. “What did Ben do?”

“Oh, he bought the house with his allowance. Had the broker get rid of the escrow fee and everything.
“What!? That doesn’t make any sense.”
He placed a quick kiss on her lips, clearing his throat. “I made an offer.”
“You didn’t?” The color in Amy’s face was draining quickly.
“Yeah, I did.”
“But this is a house, Ephram.” She let go of his hands and walked around the empty layout. “This is a house.”
“With windows and doors and three bedrooms and it’s perfect for us.”

“But you squirm if I tip our waiter more than thirty percent at a restaurant and you made an offer on a house.”
“We do have thirty days…”
“No, don’t you dare.” Amy spoke with excitement before kissing him on the mouth. “I love this house…I do, it’s just…a house! I know I keep saying that, but it’s just a lot to take in.”
“That’s why I had to show you.”

Ephram leaned in for a kiss and heard their son’s voice.

“Dad, you ready?”
Amy let go of the kiss, giggling. “Ready for what?”
“You’ll see.” Ephram walked towards the steps. “Come on down.”
“What’s going on?” Amy looked at both of them.
Ben cleared his throat and stood tall. “I wrote a story for class and I want you both to hear it.”
“Oh, okay, was this the homework you were going to show me?”
“Nope, this was for extra credit.” He smiled at his dad and went back to his paper.
Amy looked at Ephram, “so you planned this?”
“I helped, the story is all Ben.”
“Then, I’m all ears.”

Ephram and Amy sat on the table, across from Ben, as he started his story.

Dear Santa, My name is Benjamin Andrew Brown. I’m named after my dad and my grandpa, but you probably already knew that. I’m from a town called Everwood, that’s in Colorado. But I wasn’t born there. I was born in a place called New York City. I got to see you every year at Christmastime, Santa, and it was great. My mom did tell me that sometimes you have Santa helpers to say hi to kids like me when you are really busy during the holidays and that’s okay. I know you always know what I want every year for Christmas. I haven’t asked for anything this year, because there’s nothing I really want. But I’m writing to you because there’s something my dad wants to ask my mom, and he's kind of nervous about it..

Amy looked up, tears brimming her eyes. She and Ephram smiled at each other and stayed silent as Ben continued his story.

[I]My dad has known my mom for almost their entire lives. He told me, and you probably know this too, that he’s loved my mom since the day he saw her. He’s never stopped loving her. I know my mom has always loved my dad because she always talked him about when we lived in New York and I hadn’t met him yet. I don’t know why that was, Santa, and that used to bother me, but now it doesn’t. I love my dad, he’s the greatest and I love my mom, she’s the best. So, Santa, when you get this letter, get a message to my mom. My dad wants to ask my mom to marry him and is kind of nervous about it, or so he says. Oh, and [I] wanted to send this to you from my new address so you’ll know where to send the presents. P.S. I sent you another letter what the stuff I want. Merry Christmas, Ben.”

Amy looked up, wiping her tears on her napkin to only see Ben leaving with two slices of pizza. “Where are you going?”

“I have a game going on upstairs, and dad said I could eat up in my room.”
“Oh, okay.” Amy fought back the tears that kept forming in her throat.
Ephram waited until Ben was out of sight and reached into his pocket and pulled out a velvet box. “I want to ask you something.”
Amy sighed, exhaling slowly. “Okay.”

“Amy…Nicole…Abbott.” He spoke softly, smiling. “That letter, although accurate, doesn’t do the justice of how much I love you. I love everything about our story together, and honestly, I wouldn’t change a thing.”
“Yes.”
Ephram had a surprised look, smiling. “I didn’t ask you yet.”
Amy was so excited she was almost fidgeting. “Okay, ask me.” She started smiling.
Ephram opened up the box, then bought his eyes back up to Amy’s gaze. “You’re best friend, the love of my life and I want to spend the rest of our lives making every day better than the day before.” He took the ring out of the box, placing it on her left finger, asking. “Will you marry me?”
She nodded quickly, finally able to say, “yes…”

~*~

Ephram closed his red pen, sliding the paper over to Ben, who was sitting at the counter.

Ben was smiling. “No red ink?!”
“Nope, this is a good paper, bud. I think you have your mom’s talent for writing.”
Ben had a sigh of relief. “Whew, thank goodness that's over. Now I can go play games.”
“Ben, it’s almost ten, time for bed.”

“But there’s no school until Monday.”

“Yes, but someone wanted to get a Christmas Tree Tomorrow.”
“Oh, yeah, I better get good sleep, then.” He hugged both his parents. “Night mom, night dad!”
Amy was looking at the inscription of her engagement ring before putting it back on from washing dishes. “What does Te Amo Semper mean?”
“It’s Latin for I Love You, Always. My dad had that inscribed on there.”
Amy put it all together. “This is your mom’s ring, isn’t it?”
“Yeah, it was.” Ephram’s voice fell a little.
“I see the way Andy talks about Julia, how much he loves her and still loves her.”
“Yeah…I think she would’ve liked you.”
“I think sometimes that we would’ve been friends.”
“She was friends with everyone, everyone liked my mom. She’s the reason I met you.”
“Maybe I’ll get to thank her some day.”
“Maybe.”

Ephram turned out the lights in the living room as they both went upstairs. A little glimmer of light illuminated the center of the living room where their table was.

Your welcome, Amy. Take care of each other, Te Amo Semper.

Ephram came down the steps again. “I thought I turned off all the lights?” He looked round to see darkness and shrugged. “I guess I did.”

Welcome Home

~*~

[THE END]
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 03-30-2020, 08:26 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Link in OP.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:32 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Chapter 5

Present Day

~*~

“Mom, Dad.” Amy blurted out when she saw her parents starring back at her at her front door.
“I guess you are surprised to see us since we had no idea you had moved back to Everwood and had even less information on where you lived.” Rose stated matter of fact as she and Harold were invited into Amy’s apartment.
“So much has happened and I didn’t get around to telling anyone.”
“Well, you told Andy, Nina and pretty much everyone else in Everwood but didn’t bother to tell your parents?”
“Well, mom, sometimes you don’t need to know everything.”
“Like when you went to New York and never called or even sent an email. So why should we expect you tell us anything now?”

Amy closed the door, pursing her lips together, trying to stifle her anger in wanting to be defensive.

“Mom, dad…if you just came to ask why I didn’t come home for seven years, then why did you bother to find out where I lived.”
“Because Christmas Eve is tomorrow and I thought it would be nice to spend time with my children. You can think Brighton for blurting out your secret.”

Bright will pay for this Amy thought to herself, before speaking.

“Well, you’re here and it is Christmas. So what are your plans?”
“It is early afternoon, why not lunch? The diner didn’t seem too busy?”
“Actually, I have a photo shoot later for work, and it takes a while to drive out there.”
“A photo shoot, what, you’re a photographer now?” Harold chimed in, looking displeased to be learning about the details about his daughter’s life so late in the game.
“Yes, dad, I went with my passion in life and became a freelance photographer. I had a really good job in New York that gave me a lot of experience and opportunities that I'm able to use in my work here in Everwood.”
“If you had so many opportunities in such a big city, why come back to Everwood.” Harold stated, then continued. “I mean, it’s New York, the land of endless glitz and glamour.”

“Family, and I wanted to come home.”

Amy’s anxiety went from zero to ten when she heard her front door open and Ben’s laughter filling the living room and Ephram closely behind him.

“Suddenly it makes sense.” Rose smiled, then turned her attention to Ephram. “Hello there, it’s nice to see you again.”
Ephram looked at Amy and knew Rose and Harold were an unplanned visit. “Mr. and Mrs. Abbott, it’s very nice to see you again.”
“As you, Ephram.” Harold patted him on his back, then pointed at Ben. “And who is this youngster?”

“This is Ben.” Ephram looked at Amy, knowing today was going to be a lot more awkward.
“Hi!” Ben waved to both his grandparents. “I’m Ben…I’m Seven!” He held up his fingers and counting to seven to make sure had the right amount.
Rose knelt down to his level. “Well, you are just the most adorable little thing.”
“Thanks.” Ben smiled, he took out a toy from his bag. “This is what my dad got me today.”
Amy also knelt down to Ben. “Hey, buddy, can you put all your new toys your dad got you into your room so you can show everyone later?”
“That’s a good idea, thanks mom!”

Amy swallowed hard, closing her eyes and opening them up slowly and let the chills run down her spine as she stood up.

Amy spoke quickly. “Mom, dad…Ben is my…our son.” She nodded towards Ephram.

Rose and Harold stood there, looking shocked and almost frozen. When Harold realized he could finally move, he said, “son?”
“Yep, crazy isn’t it?”
“So you let when you found out you were pregnant?” Rose asked seriously, I mean he’s seven years old and the last time we’ve seen or heard anything from you was, seven years ago. How could you do that?”
“Mom.” Amy softened her delivery. “I didn’t know I was pregnant until I was in New York for a couple of weeks.”
Harold turned to Ephram. “You know about this and didn’t tell us either?”
“Umm..” Ephram had a nervous smile and looked at Amy.
Harold looked at Ephram, then at Amy. “Please tell me you at least told Ephram that he was going to be a father.”
“Dad.” She sighed heavily. “It wasn’t that simple.”

Simple? It’s a phone call, Amy. It’s calling someone that needed to know his entire life was going to change.”
“Look, I know all that now. It was a huge mistake that I’m trying to make up for everyday. It’s one of the reasons why I came back to Everwood. I wish I would have done things differently.”

“Why didn’t you?” Harold looked from Amy to Ephram. “You’re okay with this, just not knowing you have a son for his entire life.”
Ephram spoke softly. “That’s something between me and Amy.”
“So you’re just co-parenting now?” Rose asked her daughter, face to face.
“Yeah, I don’t know, yes, probably.”
Probably. This isn’t about the two of you, Amy. This is about a boy who’s entire life will be affected from the decisions you made.”
“Dad, he’s only seven.”
He’s only seven. Do not tell me it doesn’t affect him. Children start developing the personality traits at the age of two and they start being independent by the age of six.” Harold sighed and was going to continue until Ephram stepped in front of Amy. “You’re defending her?”
“Yeah, the mother of my child, yes, I am.”
“Please tell me, at some point, you were not okay with this.”

“Yeah, sure, but that’s between Amy and I…not the two of you.”
Harold made a face at Ephram, not believing the scenario in front of him. “So are you two a couple now to your child?”
Ephram folded his arms. “Sure.”
“I don’t think we’re going to get anywhere right now, Harold. We should go, let everyone cool off.”
“Thank you, Mrs. Abbott.”
“What does Ben think about all of this. How can everyone just be okay with this.”
Amy stepped beside Ephram. “We are all working on this. It’s taking time.”
“I can’t believe my own daughter would keep my own grandchild away from me…from us, his entire family. We didn’t raise you like this.”
Amy tucked the strands of hair behind her ears that fell from her ponytail. “Are you done?”
“No, young lady, I’m not done.”
Ephram cleared his throat, then spoke. “Yes, you are.”
“Who are you to tell me…”
“All do respect sir, this isn’t your house. This is Amy’s house.” Ephram glanced back at Amy’s tear stained face. “It doesn’t look like she’s really comfortable being badgered in her own house.”
Rose turned to her daughter. “Amy?”
Amy finally spoke. “I’d like you to leave…I promise we’ll talk about this later.”
“Seven years later?” Harold stated. “Why not when Ben graduates high school, or, you know, will we even know about that either.”
“Harold, come on, we’ve said enough, we’ll figure this out later.”

When Rose and Harold left, Amy was finally able to breathe and relax. Just when she thought things were starting to be at a normal pace, her decisions are continuing to bite back at her.

“I’m sorry about that, I had no idea they were going to stop by.”

“The more times goes on, I have a hard time figuring out why you did what you did.”
“You know, Ephram, so am I. I can’t believe I was so stupid to keep Ben a secret, going to New York a secret.”
“Even though I don’t agree with what was said, your dad had a point.”

“Seriously, you’re siding with my dad…you never side with my dad.”
“Where do we stand, Amy?”
“Stand, what do you mean?”
“What are we to each other? Are we co parenting, dating or just having sex?” Ephram made a face alluding to when they slept together the night Ben wanted to stay with Andy and Nina.
“Honestly, I thought we were building something.”
“So if you introduce me to someone, what am I? Ben’s father, your boyfriend…what?”
Amy sighed and blushed at the same time. “I don’t know. I was focusing on Ben being happy and he is happy with he spends time with you.”

“And I like to spend time with him. But sooner or later, he’s going to ask why mom and dad don’t live in the same house.”
“Parents live in separate houses all the time.”
“Yeah, divorced parents and separated parents.”
“Honestly…Ephram, the way I orchestrated things, I’m afraid to ask. Do I have a right to ask?”
“Honestly, I’m afraid to get to a place when everything is great, like it was last time and then you leave because you have this amazing opportunity and you leave…with Ben.”
“I’m not going anywhere.”
“And I really want to believe you. When you first got here and things were hard, you said something about taking Ben back to New York because it was easier.”
“I didn’t mean that.”

“But you said it.” Ephram sighed and continued. “How can I trust that you mean what you say? You hold all the power. You have Ben, you can take Ben anywhere you want because, according to the birth certificate, up until a short while, I do not exist.”

“So I guess we’re never getting back together since it’s obvious you don’t trust me.”

“Amy, I’m always going to be in love with you and want to spend the rest of my life with you.” He stated and saw Amy’s hopeful smile across her lips. “But I think we need to take some time apart.”
Amy was silent for a moment, taking in the words Ephram just said. “Well, what about Ben. We can’t not talk to each other?”
Ephram cleared his throat. “There’s a teacher convention coming up, in Atlanta. It’s a three day event. We totally disconnect, no phone calls, no text, no email, completely off the grid.”
“Three days? What about Ben?”
The little boy made himself known. “What about me?”

Ephram grimaced at Amy before kneeling down to Ben.

“Hey Buddy… I'm going out of town for a few days.”
“Oh, cool, can I come?”
“Well, it’s kind of a boring teacher conference. It’s only a, well, two and half day trip. I leave Friday and come back Sunday.”
“Can we hang out on Sunday when you get back?”

“Of course we can, you and me, all day.”

“All Day! That’s so cool!”
“As soon as my flight lands, I’ll make sure to get the earliest one.”
“That’s so cool!”
Amy mimicked Ben. “That’s cool!”
“Can mom come too?” Ben looked up positively at his father.
“We’ll see, we might want to me it just us guys.”
“Hear that mom, I’m one of the guys!”
“Yes, I heard…makes you feel good, huh?”

~*~

Ephram stopped at the open doorway before leaving, he and Amy faced each other.

“I’ve been thinking about a lot of things, Amy and I think we’ve been going around in circles for too long.”
“Ah hah.” She nodded in agreement.
“From what I said earlier…I do think we need both need to figure out what we are to each other.”
“Uh..huh?” She nodded, confused.
“What I mean is, who are we and why are we together?” He saw Amy’s face crinkle up even more. “What I mean is…” He sighed heavily. “We obviously love each other, that, hopefully, will never change. But are together because we are in love with each other. Are we together because we share a son? Are we together because of what we had before New York happened. I’m asking those questions every night I leave this apartment or you leave my house. I think a few days apart, asking those questions, will give us the answers we need.”
“What about Ben, I mean, you can just go three days without talking to your son.” Amy read his look of I went seven years not knowing I had a son. “He’ll want to talk to you, tell you about his day.”

“Honestly, I don’t know the schedule of this thing, what time any activities are. I think Bright has all that information.”
Bright?” Amy almost had to stifle a laugh. “Bright is the one who is keeping up with everything.”

Ephram sighed again, leaning against the door frame. “Yeah, it was actually his…well more Hannah’s, suggestion that I go, get away from Everwood for a while.”
“What about Hogan, what if he needs you.”
Ephram smiled, fixing his posture. “That kid’s doing better than me now. All he needed was a little guidance and a step in the right direction, that’s all.”
“Kind of like us.”
“Yep, kind of like us.”
Amy let out the breath she was holding. “So this is it…until Sunday.”
“Sunday, for a minute because I’m sure Ben is planning all sorts of things for us to do on our guys trip.”
“What are you planning anyway?”
“I don’t know, it’s up to him.”
“He’ll love it.”

“Yeah, I know he will.”
“And you’ll love it too.”

“I’m more excited for him than I am for me.”
“Yep, that’s what being a parent is all about.”
“Yeah, I guess it is.”

Both of them wanted to go in for a goodnight kiss, and stood in the doorway until Ephram’s phone went off and Amy closed the door.

~*~

“I cannot believe you’re dragging me to a teacher convention.” Bright threw his bag into the cab and joined Ephram in the backseat as the rode off to the airport.
“Louder, Bright, I’m not sure Mrs. Saxton over on Bloomfield Avenue heard you.”
“What’s with the secret. We’re going to a teacher convention, not exactly risqué activity.”
“Well, Amy thinks it was your idea for the convention.”

“Me, moue? Why would Amy…oh, because you told her it was my idea, didn’t you.”

“I couldn’t tell her it was my idea to get away from her for a couple of days to clear my head?”

'“Why not, it would be the truth. Aren’t us as teachers supposed to teach our youth about telling the truth.”

“Okay, someone read the manual.”
“Hannah was trying on dresses and I got bored.”

“And you took up reading? Brighton Abbott, I’m touched.”
“So you’re really going to this thing to just get away from my sister?”
“Bright, every time I look at her, I feel this knot in my stomach that I felt the day I knew she wasn’t coming back. I have this feeling, every day, that I’m going to wake up to an empty apartment again. I need time to think. Everything in Everwood reminds me of her and I need to think about what I want to do with things that don’t remind me of her.”
“Do you have any idea what you do want to do?”
“Pretend like New York never happened.”
“Then it didn’t.”
“What do you mean?”
“Take out everything that happened in the past seven…eight years. Focus on Amy…just her and how you feel about her. That is what you want right, to figure out who you are with her and not everything else that goes along with it?”
“Dude, where is this coming from? It almost makes sense and that’s a lot coming from you.”

“I’m married to a guidance counselor, advice is twenty-four seven around the house. I can’t help but eavesdrop on Hannah’s one-sided phones calls.”
“Does she know you do that or just think you’re kinda smart?”
“I think she knows. On the really important, confidential phone calls, she locks the guest bedroom door and puts and puts a blanket under the door to block out any noise.”
“Damn, she’s good.”

“You’re telling me.”

~*~

Rose opened the door, stunned to see her daughter and grandson before her.

“Hi mom.” Amy smiled.
“Hi grandma!” Ben waved.
“Well, isn’t this a surprise, I wasn’t expecting you until…well…I don’t know when to expect you.”
“Mom, can I go play outside?”
“Ben, I think it’s a little cold to be playing outside.” Amy spoke to her son, then eyed her mother for an alternate plan.
“Ben, there’s a big screen tv to watch in the living room if you like.”
“Awesome, thanks Grandma!” Ben zoomed through out of Amy’s grasp and plopped himself on the couch and flicked on the tv with the remote.
“Happy as a clam, good thinking…Grandma.”
“I figured it would give us time to talk.”

Amy sighed heavily, not ready to go through it again, but whatever it takes to mend all ties she promised herself she would be willing to take the leap.

“What do you want to ask?”
“First, I wanted to apologize for our behavior a couple of nights ago. I feel just awful the way we stormed your apartment.”
“It’s okay.”

“No, it’s not. I may not agree with the decisions you made with that adorable little boy, but the decisions were made and they cannot be changed now.”
“I didn’t know I was pregnant until after I had moved to New York and got settled.”
“The pregnancy, you didn’t know about that, Amy…but what about Ephram? You and him were inseparable, and happy…or so it looked.”
“We were…still are…on both accounts. Ephram and I made all these plans to go New York before we even graduated from County High. We found good, affordable places to live. Ephram looked up jobs near Julliard and I looked up places to work and it was…perfect actually. The more I think about it, it becomes even more perfect because it didn’t happen.”

“Why didn’t it happen?”

“Ephram was settled in Everwood, he wanted to build his life, our life.”
“And you didn’t?”
“I did, well I do now, I just had this dream of living in the city, with Ephram, him showing me all those places he remembered when he actually lived there. I actually had this, and it sounds stupid, this, I guess, fantasy of him showing me his mom’s grave…so I could, you know, talk to her.”
“That’s very heartwarming, Amy, I think he would’ve wanted you to talk to her.”

Amy smiled, showing her dimples, fiddling her fingers as she spoke about what life could’ve been. “Ephram told me sometimes that Julia would’ve liked and we would’ve been really good friends.”
Rose saw Amy’s face fall. “Why does that make you sad?”
“Because…” Amy caught her voice and cleared her throat, tucking the hair behind her ears, sniffling. “Because the only reason that Ephram is in Everwood is because Andy made a promise to Julia after she died. I thought, maybe, just maybe, if Ephram and I were in New York together, he would show me her grave site and be able to connect with her again.” Amy wiped her teared eyes. “Yeah, like I said, stupid, huh?”

“That is not stupid, Amy Abbott. I would give anything for Harold to be able to visit Edna’s grave site and have just one more conversation with her, to connect with his mother in a way to still have a relationship with her.”
“So I had this idea in my head that Ephram would follow me, that our love for each other would be enough for him to pack up everything and move to New York.”
“Did he know where you were?”
Amy’s face grew read. “No.”
“Then how could he find you? Did you even tell him where you were?”

“He figured it out.” Amy spoke in a whisper, pursing her lips together.
Figured it out, you didn’t tell him?”

“I knew that if I talked to him, I’d come back and give up New York.”

“Why didn’t you?”

“It was my dream to live in New York and have a life there.”

“What about Ephram, does he fit into your dream?”

“He is my dream and I think I might lose him.”

“Why do you say that? You two have been inseparable and that son of yours is adorable.”
“But can we erase the past. Can we get passed the elephant in the room and can he forgive me?”
“I can’t speak for Ephram, but he loves you. The way he defended you even though he doesn’t agree with what you did. That’s love.”
“Have you ever done anything that you thought was stupid in the years you’ve been married to dad?”
“I didn’t necessarily do anything. But remember that little thing I had…cancer?”
“Yeah, can’t forget that.”
“Here are me and your father thinking I’m pregnant again, happy as clams and what do you know, I have cancer, knocks us both right off our feet.”

“That was hard on everyone.”
“Not as hard as it really was. Your father puts on a brave face, but he was going through a tough time. He and I lean on each other when one of you kids is going through something. But when it was me going through something and he had to be the only parent to you and Bright, he was the one who held it together. That’s when I felt it, even after almost twenty years of marriage, he was the love of my life. I always knew it, when we looked at each other. Even on the times I’d come home late form another meeting at the mayor’s office that ran late, he’d stay up to wait for me and I swear, it was the same look he had in his eyes the first few months we were married and I’d had that crummy job at a local store that kept odd hours for a small town.”

“Wow, that’s not what I expected.”
“And that’s it, love is something you never suspect. You can’t see it, you can’t go and look for it, Amy. You have to feel it in here.” Rose placed her right hadn’t over Am’s heart. “Feel your heart racing when Ephram’s around or feel a flutter when his name is mentioned and he’s not even in the room. That is love and that’s what you hold onto even in the darkest times.”
“When do the darkest times end?”

“Sometimes they never really do, you just have to see the light and know that tomorrow will be an even better day than yesterday.”
Amy brushed the hair out of her face and wiped her eyes again with a tissue. “Wow, again, unexpected emotion.”
“Be careful, all the crying townspeople are going to think you’re pregnant.”

They both laughed.

~*~

“Remind me next year to never go with you to one of these things.” Bright plopped onto the other bed inside his and Ephram’s double room. “Borefest. Even the activities are a snoozefest.”
“Yeah.” Ephram replied, still scrolling through his laptop.
“What is so important that you cannot pay attention to what I’m saying.”
“I am paying attention.”
Okay, then what did I just say?”

“You were ranting about how you don’t want to come back and the activities are what you call a borefest.”
“You’re really good at listening when it looks like you aren’t listening.”

“Comes with being a good teacher. Highly effective.”
“You’re gonna have to teach me that.”
“No…special secret. I can’t be giving out too many tricks of the trade, I won’t have anything to the kids on the toes.”
“What are you doing over there?”
Ephram was silent, then finally answered with a catch in his voice.
“Shopping?”

“Shopping for what?”
“Well, the correct type of speech would be who?”
“Then who are you shopping for?”
“Your sister.”
“Oh, what are you buying Amy?” Bright leaned slightly over to try and see Ephram’s computer screen and saw the look on Ephram’s face. “With that look on your face, I don’t want to know.”
“You will find out in due time, my faithful friend.”
“You do know it’s Saturday, right?”

“Yep, comes just after Friday.”
“You said you were going to make up your mind about what to do by the time you arrived home. We leave, thankfully, really early in the morning.”
“I planned…or Ben is planning an entire guys day for me and him when I get back. So I might not even get to talk to Amy until Monday.”
“And you might want to hide the tail between your legs.”
“What’s that supposed to be mean.”
“You’re using Ben as your scapegoat.”

“I am not.”
“Okay, I’m not going to go there with the childish are too throwback. Why not talk to her before you and Ben have the guys day?”

“Bright, Amy and I have never been able to have just a short, straight to the point conversation.”
“You usually end up fighting.”
Ephram smirked. “Or sleeping together.”
“Uh, dude, come on, that’s my sister. It’s enough that we’re even talking about this.”

“Sorry, just happened.”
“And it didn’t change anything.”

“That’s one of the reasons why I wanted to get away for the weekend, clear my head.”
“And you dragged me on your weekend of feelings discovery.”

“Yeah, I needed a reason to get out of town and why Ben couldn’t come with me.”
“Would you stay with Amy just for Ben?”
“Well, I love her, so yeah.”
“See.” Bright pointed fast to his friend. “That, right there, without hesitation, you’re still in love with her.”

“I never said I was not in love with her. I just didn’t know if I could get past the…past and be able to move on from it.”
“Why can’t you?”
“Because I see my son, Ben and he’s fantastic. I forget…well a lot of the times, that I wasn’t there for seven years. Then he’ll mention something about New York or toys he’s had when he was younger and it comes back all over again. Having to figure out that Amy left. Having to tell the entire town that Amy left and lying to some saying she was visiting friends when we all know Amy doesn’t know anyone…or didn’t know anyone outside of the state of Colorado.”
“So are you unsure of your future because of how it made you feel about Ben and missing out or how it made you feel in going through the motions in accepting that Amy was gone.”
Ephram looked at his friend. “Who are you and what have you done with Bright?”

“Married a guidance counselor. You cannot be around Hannah and not get some benefit out of it. I just let go of who I was to become who I wanted to be…for her. Now, the question is, who do you want to be to Amy? Ben’s father, boyfriend, husband…just a friend?”
Ephram finally shut his laptop and put it back in the case. “All of the above?”
“Are you asking me or telling me, because you just answered with a question.”

Ephram’s phone started ringing, checking his watch, he questioned why Amy was calling him past ten.

“Hey, is everything okay?”
“Yeah, it’s good…for most of the world, but not for Ben.”

Ephram went into the hallway giving himself privacy.

“What happened, is he okay, what’s going on?”
“Well, no, not physically. Our baby has the flu. He’s been in his room all day. Now he’s asleep beside me on the couch. He fell asleep to cartoons.”
“Spongebob?”
“Yep, he loves Patrick.”

“Patrick was always the cool one.”
“You did always like the underdog.”
“When did he start feeling bag.”
Amy thought. “Early this morning.”

“Why didn’t you tell me? I would’ve come home.”
“Ephram’s he’s good. I asked if he wanted me to call you and he wanted to prove he was one of the guys and get healed before you come home.” Amy kept brushing the hair out of his face as he slept soundly. “He’s sleeping really good now, first time he’s been settled all day. I think the worst of it’s over.”
“Is this his first time having the flu?”
“Yeah, I think so. I thought he had it another time in New York, turns out it was just too much ice cream and cotton candy…and milk duds.”
Ephram fell silent, his heart ached for the time he missed. “Yeah, that will do it.”
“Then I guess you and Bright don’t have to rush home.”
“Are you kidding, I feel like I’ve been sucked into the land of pocket protectors.”
Amy stifled her laugh, not wanting to wake Ben. “It couldn’t have been that bad.”
“Oh, yes, it is that bad. I don’t think I’ll ever make the same mistake again.”
“Can you book and earlier flight?”

Ephram walked quietly back into the room, the lights were turned off and Bright was snoring louder than a beaver.

“I would but your brother is more asleep than Rip Van Winkle.”
“He’s a sleeper, that’s for sure.”
“Yeah, first flight out tomorrow morning.”
“Can’t wait, we’ve missed you.”
“I’ve missed you all too.”
“I’m going to hang up with you and carry this sleepy boy to bed.”
“Give him a kiss for me.”
“I will. Night…love you.” Amy said without thought.
Ephram paused, not knowing what to say, but followed Bright’s advice and went with what he was feeling. “Yeah, I love you too, see you tomorrow.”
“Night.”
“Bye.”

Ephram was slow in ending the phone call. What if it was just a weekend away for them to realize what was important. Anyone within ear shot would swear it was a couple, married and parents to a sick child talking on the phone. It felt organic and right. It finally felt real.

[author's note: there really is a teacher's conference in Atlanta...just happens to be in May https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-tea...s-65182063306]

~*~

Monday evening, Ephram let himself into Nina and Andy’s house and was immediately greeted by a jumpy seven year old.

“Ben? What are you doing here? Where’s mom?”
“In your room. I think I got her sick.” Ben fiddled with his fingers as his mother has done time after time.
Andy interjected. “Amy is showing signs of having the flu, she most likely caught it from Ben.”
“See Ben, just the flu, you feel just fine now, don’t you?”

“But I made mom sick…I didn’t mean to dad, I promise.”
“I know you didn’t. Watch some tv, I’m going to go check on your mom.”

Ephram walked into what used to be his old bedroom and found Amy fast asleep under the covers. He started to clean up the two empty bowls of what looked to be chicken soup and threw the napkins into the trash. Once he started to make his way towards the door, he heard her voice.

“Don’t leave.”
He turned around. “You should get some rest.”
“I’ve been resting all day.”

Ephram placed the bowls on the computer desk and sat beside her on the bed. “How are you feeling,” he asked when placing his hand on her cheeks and nodded that she still felt warm.
“Better than I was a few days ago. I guess Ben is younger, he can kick it faster than I can?”
Kick it? Ephram laughed at Amy’s speech. “I think my room is giving you old speech vibes.”
“I think I’ve flushed all my brain cells down the toilet.”
“That’s an interesting visual.”
Amy laughed, then clutched her stomach. “Yep, still hurts.”
“I can stay with you, if you like, or if you want to get some rest.”
“I don’t really want to get up. You can take Ben out to do guy excursion stuff if you want to.”
“Ben feels pretty bad though.”

“Still, I better, check…”
Amy started to raise up the blanket and Ephram stopped her. “You can stop being a mom for a second, let me be the dad for a little while.” He kissed her quickly on the forehead. “He thinks he got you sick.”
“Technically…”
Amy.”
“He did, but he didn’t. I wasn’t feeling that great when I called you anyway. We probably caught the same thing at the same time.”
“Who knows, the flu is airborne.”
“Thank you doctor. Andy told me that earlier this morning when I showed up at his doorstep with Ben, who was all done with his flu and me, not having slept a wink, and hair looked like it was in fifty different directions.”
“He took pity on you.”
“Someone had too.”
“You sleep and I’ll go take care of our boy.”
“Thanks.” Amy barely spoke before her eyes shut closed and she fast asleep.

Ephram placed a kiss on the side of her head and squeezed her hand before picking up the dishes and leaving the room, letting Amy rest.

~*~

Monday afternoon, with Ben in tow, Ephram opened up the door to Amy’s apartment and couldn’t believe his eyes when Amy starred back at him with her rosy cheeks and dark brown eyes.

“You look like you’re feeling better.”
“I am, thanks. Your old bed is mighty comfortable though.”
“Um, thank you?”
“Seriously, best sleep I’ve had in ages.”
“Probably because you were being taken care of.” He leaned over and kissed her. “How was Casa Ala Brown?”
“Surprisingly…strange, I guess? I don’t know. I mean, I felt comfortable there and very welcomed. But it’s different from just being there visiting and hanging out with you and not actually living there a couple of nights.”
“So you’re good, all better?”

“Yep, The Great Doctor Brown cleared me and I’m good as new.”
“Good because there’s something I want to talk to you about.”
“Sure.”
Amy looked down the hallway and towards Ben’s room, Ephram spoke up. “He has a new video game to play, he’ll be there for hours.”
Hours, Ben has the attention span of a twig.”
“Not when it involves Spongebob.”

“Good thinking, dad!”
“I thought so.”
Amy settled more into her seat. “So what’s on your mind.”
“I thought a lot about us while in Atlanta.”
“Yes, boredom capital of the world. Keep going.” Amy smiled.
Ephram cleared his throat, silencing his laugh. “It hurts every time you or Ben mention events in his life before you came to Everwood and, honestly, I don’t think that’s ever going to change. But I cannot let that get in the way of the memories and the adventures we’ll have together as he grows up and becomes the man he needs to be.” Amy sighed, lighting the tension, Ephram continued. “And I can’t let the past, get in the way of how i feel about you.” He held her right hand in his. “I love you and I’m always going to love and I can say it a thousand times and it wouldn’t be enough. I’m always going to be in love with you.” Ephram sighed, letting that sink again and he continued. “But we need to get past this, get past the past. We need to more forward and I came to a conclusion.” They both sighed at the same. “I want to take you out on a date.”
Amy blushed, giggling. “A date, Ephram, I think we’re past the dating period.”
“I want to get to know as who you are now and so we can grow together as who we are now. I think I’m stuck of who we used to be and it keeps weighing on me of how I used to feel. How i fell now, with you, and Ben is how I want to feel, about everything, past and present. I always said it’s going to take time and I when I said it, I wasn’t sure if that time would ever come. But it has.” Ephram fought back the tears he knew were trying to well up in his eyes. “I want us to fall in love as us, as who we are now and not hold onto what we were. It’s apart of us, but it’s not our whole story. Our whole story hasn’t been written yet.”
“Are we starting a whole new book or just a new chapter?”
Ephram thought about Amy’s question. “New Chapter. And I have the first three words that define everything.”
Amy asked softly, smiling. “And what is that?”
“I...forgive...you.”

~*~
Just finished. Great stuff. Really love this story.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:

Almost One Year Later.

“Is all your homework done?” Amy asked Ben when he came into the kitchen and grabbed a juice box.
“Yep!”
“Yes, Benjamin, it’s either me or your dad. Ever since you pulled that stunt of handing in some first grade version of your biography report of Thomas Jefferson, yeah, we will check your homework. I can always have your dad check it and you know how loves to use his red pen.”
“Oh and I want to see the paper now, not when you’re getting ready for bed and you’re too tired to even keep your eyes open. Your dad and I have fell for that one too many times.”
“Yes, mom.”
I always loved showing my homework to mom and dad, this behavior must be an Ephram trait Amy thought to herself when answering her phone.

“Good thoughts I hope.’

“Yep. He’s supposed to be bringing me his homework like now…you can talk to him about that when you get home.”
Ephram smiled. “I love that we get to do that, talk to our child about his homework.”
“Yep and he’s only in the fourth grade, it’s just the beginning. Lots of opportunities.”
“Hmm, maybe.”
Amy caught a chill with just the thought of going out into the cold weather. “Ephram, it is below freezing outside.”
“We’ll be there. You just made Ben’s night since this is a complete diversion from reviewing his homework.”

“Good, you can tell him that when he has that cute little pushed out bottom lip look on his face when we arrive to wherever this Ashburn Street is.”
“It’s not far.”
“See you in a bit!”

Before Amy could get Ben’s name out of her mouth, he was already dressed in his winter coat, gloves and his shoes put back on.

“Yes, that would be nice.” She made a face at her son who was being suddenly polite. “Ben, your dad said to bring your homework with you, something about not escaping reality.”
“What happened to the son I just had no more than five minutes ago?” Amy thought out loud.
“Okay, I’m ready.” Ben smiled brightly up to his mother. Ben grabbed onto Amy’s hand. “We have to go, the snow is supposed to start soon.”

“No, we don’t!”

~*~

Amy’s GPS located her to Ashburn Street. Hmm, this house looks oddly familiar. She thought ot herself when turning the car off. Before she could unfasten her seatbelt, Ben was halfway to the door.

“Ben, knock first, I don’t know where we are.” She called out to her son but he had already bust through the front door. Amy smiled when she heard a little faint Ben, walk! voice come form inside the house and knew it was Ephram. Well, that solves one part of the mystery, now on to part two. Amy thought again.

Amy knocked softly on the front door and let herself in. Ben charged into the house so fast the door didn’t shut all the way. The living room was decorated with a table with three chairs and a pizza from Dominos.

“Ephram, I assume you had something to do with this?” She called out to an empty room and began to walk around. “Oh, Ephram Brown…pizza is getting cold. You hate cold pizza.”
He appeared around the corner, a childish grin on his face. “I was thinking, forty people can fit in this living room for Christmas…what do you think?” He took her hands in his, bringing her into a soft kiss.
“Wow, forty people? Do we know forty people and Christmas isn’t for two months.”

She looked up at him, confused. “No, should I?” Ephram kept looking down at her and the memories finally came to her. “You mean the one Hannah sent us on that bogus delivery thing or something?”

“Well, Ben mentioned something about wanting a back yard and my house has less of a yard than a tiny apartment. So, Ben and I were looking around the neighborhood and found this house…and it was, oddly enough, never put on the market.”
Ephram twirled Amy around and she floated back into his arms. “Yeah and Ben wants the room that faces the back yard. He likes to see the snow, reminds me of the city.”
“But we’ve talked about having more kids.” He nodded with Amy and continued. “We’ve talked about getting married,” he nodded with Amy again. “I want us to build a life together, in Everwood…in this house.”
“I know nothing about buying a house, but isn’t there some process of talking to someone.”

“Oh, he bought the house with his allowance. Had the broker get rid of the escrow fee and everything.
“Yeah, I did.”
“But this is a house, Ephram.” She let go of his hands and walked around the empty layout. “This is a house.”

“But you squirm if I tip our waiter more than thirty percent at a restaurant and you made an offer on a house.”
“No, don’t you dare.” Amy spoke with excitement before kissing him on the mouth. “I love this house…I do, it’s just…a house! I know I keep saying that, but it’s just a lot to take in.”

“Dad, you ready?”
Ben cleared his throat and stood tall. “I wrote a story for class and I want you both to hear it.”
“Nope, this was for extra credit.” He smiled at his dad and went back to his paper.
“Then, I’m all ears.”

Dear Santa, My name is Benjamin Andrew Brown. I’m named after my dad and my grandpa, but you probably already knew that. I’m from a town called Everwood, that’s in Colorado. But I wasn’t born there. I was born in a place called New York City. I got to see you every year at Christmastime, Santa, and it was great. My mom did tell me that sometimes you have Santa helpers to say hi to kids like me when you are really busy during the holidays and that’s okay. I know you always know what I want every year for Christmas. I haven’t asked for anything this year, because there’s nothing I really want. But I’m writing to you because there’s something my dad wants to ask my mom, and he's kind of nervous about it..

Amy looked up, tears brimming her eyes. She and Ephram smiled at each other and stayed silent as Ben continued his story.

[I]My dad has known my mom for almost their entire lives. He told me, and you probably know this too, that he’s loved my mom since the day he saw her. He’s never stopped loving her. I know my mom has always loved my dad because she always talked him about when we lived in New York and I hadn’t met him yet. I don’t know why that was, Santa, and that used to bother me, but now it doesn’t. I love my dad, he’s the greatest and I love my mom, she’s the best. So, Santa, when you get this letter, get a message to my mom. My dad wants to ask my mom to marry him and is kind of nervous about it, or so he says. Oh, and [I] wanted to send this to you from my new address so you’ll know where to send the presents. P.S. I sent you another letter what the stuff I want. Merry Christmas, Ben.”

Amy looked up, wiping her tears on her napkin to only see Ben leaving with two slices of pizza. “Where are you going?”

Ephram waited until Ben was out of sight and reached into his pocket and pulled out a velvet box. “I want to ask you something.”

“Amy…Nicole…Abbott.” He spoke softly, smiling. “That letter, although accurate, doesn’t do the justice of how much I love you. I love everything about our story together, and honestly, I wouldn’t change a thing.”
“Yes.”
Amy was so excited she was almost fidgeting. “Okay, ask me.” She started smiling.
Ephram opened up the box, then bought his eyes back up to Amy’s gaze. “You’re best friend, the love of my life and I want to spend the rest of our lives making every day better than the day before.” He took the ring out of the box, placing it on her left finger, asking. “Will you marry me?”

~*~

Ephram closed his red pen, sliding the paper over to Ben, who was sitting at the counter.

“Nope, this is a good paper, bud. I think you have your mom’s talent for writing.”
Ben had a sigh of relief. “Whew, thank goodness that's over. Now I can go play games.”

“Oh, yeah, I better get good sleep, then.” He hugged both his parents. “Night mom, night dad!”
Amy was looking at the inscription of her engagement ring before putting it back on from washing dishes. “What does Te Amo Semper mean?”
“I see the way Andy talks about Julia, how much he loves her and still loves her.”
“She was friends with everyone, everyone liked my mom. She’s the reason I met you.”
“Maybe.”

Ephram turned out the lights in the living room as they both went upstairs. A little glimmer of light illuminated the center of the living room where their table was.

Ephram came down the steps again. “I thought I turned off all the lights?” He looked round to see darkness and shrugged. “I guess I did.”

Welcome Home

~*~

[THE END]
So beautiful.

I love their son and the letter... awe.

This is just so beautiful.

Welcome Home is so fitting.

Excellent job!
Old 03-30-2020, 04:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:

Almost One Year Later.

“Yep!”
“Yes, mom.”

“Good thoughts I hope.’

“Hmm, maybe.”

“It’s not far.”
“See you in a bit!”

“No, we don’t!”

~*~

“Yeah, I did.”

“Dad, you ready?”
“Then, I’m all ears.”

“Yes.”

~*~

“Maybe.”

Welcome Home

~*~

[THE END]

I love love love this, Patricia!! Absolutely adorable how Ephram and Ben worked together on the sly and are so compatible with each other. I love that Ben loves both his parents and that he has totally accepted Ephram into his life. Such a romantic proposal...love that Amy couldn't wait to say yes!
Old 04-02-2020, 02:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The Girl Who Cried The Truth

Dear Diary,

Why can’t I tell everyone the truth? what is wrong with me? Everyone thinks that Madison was driving the car. That’s not the truth. I was driving the car. There wasn’t a cloud in the night sky, so they’ll know it wasn’t inclement weather that made the car run into the tree, throwing Madison thirty feet from the car. I didn’t know what to think. It’s not like we were close or anything. Sure, I liked her, but hey, everyone loved Madison Kelner. I liked her as much as I like getting stung by a bee. Not sure what everyone saw in her. I know what you’re thinking, I helped Madison get thrown from her car. I’m not sad that she died, but then again, I’m really sad that it all happened to her. That the last moments of her living in this world were being thwarted through the air and her head landing on the rock, cracking her skull open. No one really knows what happened. The only things people are talking about are how her body was found and what the coroner found during the autopsy. They don’t know the real story. Madison was a bitch! All she cared about was herself. I was in the car with her that night because she needed some responsible person to drive her home so that she could at least tell her parents she was being responsible. No one knows the real Madison Kelner. If they did, they may not be so sorry that she’s dead…I’m not.

~*~

“Dude, you are so late..” Bright looked at his watch and then back at Ephram. “You skipped like two classes.”
“Yeah, I’m hoping no one will notice, but I doubt it. So, do you have any ideas of how to explain why I’m late. You must have a million of them.”

“Usually I would let you have one of my special vaulted excused absence reasons, but you don’t need it.”

“What do you mean?”

“Word is there was a diary entry found on the school property that gives details on how Madison died..”
”Really, it’s been a year, I thought that was over.”

Bright remembered the party. “A year ago tomorrow. Tyler Braxton’s party. It was a rager, everyone was there.”
“So, what did the diary entry say?”

“Well, when trying to decipher the rumor mill, it seems that Madison wasn’t driving the car and she’s a terrible person, something like that.”
“Who would hate Madison? She always seems nice to me.”

“Not sure, but whoever it was, they definitely have an axe to grind when they wrote that entry.”

“And it was just a piece of paper floating around school..”
“Not sure, I’m just piecing together what everyone else is saying.”
“Wow, I could’ve missed the entire school day and no one would’ve noticed.”
Amy came running up to Ephram, kissing him hard on the mouth. “I would’ve noticed.”
”And I’m gone.” Bright started walking towards another hallway.

Ephram and Amy locked hands, continuing the walk to class.

“Bright said there was a letter found about the night Madison Kelner died.”
Amy shrugged. “Really? That happened like a year ago, who would bring it up now?”
“The letter was just found, I think. I don’t know much either, I just got here.”
Amy laugh, smiling. “What are you doing just walking into school anytime you want like you own the place.”
“Traffic from New York was crazy and I didn’t get in until early this morning….and I slept through my alarm.”
Amy wrapped her arm in his as they continued walking. “How was visiting your mom?”

“Good, I needed to visit her. It’s been a long time. Hey, why don’t you come with me next time I go.”
“Sure. Let me know when.”

Both Amy and Ephram stopped in their tracks when seeing the poster.

New details into the death of Madison Kelner have been discovered. If you have any information, please come by the principal’s office.

“I guess they’re reopening the case.” Amy read the sign.
“I guess so. I hope they find out what happened to her. The way she died, seemed really awful.”
“I’ve heard a lot of things, so I’m not sure what to believe happened to her.”
“We’ve got more things to worry about.”
“What’s that?” Amy let go of Ephram’s hand when they sat in their individual desks.
Ephram pointed to the black board. “History pop quiz.”

“Piece of cake." Amy grimaced. "Well, History, I know fairly well, it’s the now I have trouble with.”

Ephram took out his phone as the teacher walked into class, sent a text message and put it away.

Amy glances at her phone when the text message ring tone sounded. Meet me later at the house and I’ll help you forget about the now.

~*~

Amy walked into the library, walked over to the table Hannah was sitting at.

“What’s going on at that table, what is everyone signing?”
“Oh, no one’s signing anything, well, not really. They’re doing handwriting samples to figure out who the diary entry note belonged to. I already wrote my name down, you should go to, then we can study.”
“Oh, I’ll do it later. I have some good thoughts on The Scarlet Letter that I want to get down.”
“Sure, they’re having it every day until they get every single student. Kind of pointless if you ask me.”

“Why?”

“Like whoever wrote it is going to be honest about their own handwriting. No one wants to be found out about a diary entry. I want to know is how the diary entry ended up on the outside of the diary and why was it at school. I keep my diary locked up in my bedroom. It never sees the light of day, although I don’t write much in it…I tell you everything and what’s going on. So you’re like my diary.” Hannah smiled peacefully.
“I might as well get it over with.” Amy stood back up walking towards the other table.

She stood in line and stepped up to the table.

“Name?”
“Amy Abbott.”
“Middle Initial?”
“Amber, you’ve known me since I was in first grade, really?”
The lady looked up at Amy, with a serious face. “Middle Initial, please.”
“Geez.” Amy rolled her eyes, shrugging. “N as in Nicole.”

“Alright.” Amber wrote Amy’s full name on the list and handed her the clipboard. “Okay, Amy, write your name, in your own handwriting, on the line next to where I just wrote.”
“Sure.” Amy picked up the clipboard, put the pen to the paper and when she started writing, the pen wasn’t producing any ink. “Do you have another pen, this one isn’t working.”
“Oh, sure.”
“You’re making Amy Abbott produce a handwriting sample?” A fellow teacher approached Amber. “I’ve known her since the first grade, she wouldn’t have anything to do with this.”
“I’m just following the rules.”

“Rules? Amy knows the rules backwards and forwards, and probably better than you do. Just write a line through it, everyone knows Amy didn’t know do it.”
“Well, I guess you’re right. You’re excused Amy.”

“Are you sure, I mean, I don’t mind.”
“Nah, go on.”

Amy shrugged and sat down with Hannah, opening her notebook.

“That took a long time just to sign your name.”

“The pen ran out of ink and the teacher said I didn’t have to, so I didn’t. Apparently I’m the good girl.”
“Everyone knows that, not sure why you even went up there. I’m sure they’ll have a good laugh when this is over that you actually almost submitted a handwriting sample.”

“Hmm, maybe.”

~*~

“Come on, Ephram.” Amy giggled as he continued to kiss her neck. “We have to watch this movie for class.”
“We’ll watch it later.” He started to slowly slip his hand under her shirt.

A commercial came on from the local news, talking about the case of Madison’s death being reopened and now calling it a homicide. The TV was turned down enough to where the voices couldn’t be heard. Amy shrugged and turned the tv off.

“Not to spoil this moment of passion.” Amy paused when Ephram unclasped her bra. “But your dad and Delia could be home any second..”
“They’re in Denver, staying the night.”
He reached up, kissing her neck, Amy straining her voice., “but, Ephram.” She strained her voice.
He was panting. “What’s wrong?”
“The Couch?”
“What’s wrong with having sex on the couch?” Ephram nodded his head. “Wouldn’t be our first time.”
“I want this to be more than…” Amy shrugged, her face turning red, “more than just sex.”
“Like…making love?” Ephram caressed the side of her face.
“Yeah…I mean, it seems silly to ask because it’s always more than just about sex with us. I just…”
Ephram kissed her slowly, before saying, “let’s go to the bedroom.”

~*~

Ephram caught up with Amy in the hall, kissing the cheek.

“I missed you this morning, I thought you were going to stay the night.”
“I thought I was, but then I remembered I left my homework and with that pop quiz in History yesterday, I don’t want to be caught off guard again.”

“So, since it’s a three day weekend, we should go up to the cabin, you know, have a nice relaxing weekend.”
“There’s so much to do, though before school ends.”
“Amy, it’s our junior year. We don’t have to stress until next year.”
“I know, but I just want next year to be easy and stress free.”
Ephram pulled Amy into a hallway , secluded from everyone else. “What’s going on with you?”

“What do you mean, I’m fine, why are you asking?”
“Because you’re asking me three questions in a row and you’re jittery. Did drink any coffee this morning.”
“I don’t drink coffee.”
“I know that, that’s why I’m asking because I know how you get when you do drink coffee.”
“What are you my keeper now?”
“No, I’m your boyfriend who loves you and wants to know why you’re being crazy and maybe I can help.”
Amy lightened the pressure she realized was on her shoulders. “Ephram, I am o…k…, there’s no reason to worry about me.” She kissed him

Someone walking by tossed a flyer at them, Ephram catching it.

“Tyler Braxton is having his annual party. I guess his parents went out of town again.”
“Why is Tyler Braxton having another party, it’s he same thing every year.”
“Yeah and it’s the last party Madison was at.”
Amy sighed. “Well, maybe…maybe Tyler wants to start a clean slate. Not sure who’s going to show up since it is the last party Madison was at.”
“You wanna go?”
Do you? Amy asked, making a face..
“Yes, [I]I do[/]. I’m sure Tyler feels pretty bad about what happened last year and he needs support. Not sure a lot o people will show up anyway.”
“Why, it’s not like Tyler had anything to do with it.”
“Maybe? I mean Madison was drinking, everyone saw her and she ends up running into a tree.”
“Ephram, everyone was drinking. I think I saw Hannah stumble with Bright a couple of times.”

The class bell rang throughout the school.

Amy sighed again. “Back to reality.” Ephram pulled Amy into him, kissing her fully on the lips. “That was nice…what was it for?”
Ephram cleared his throat. “Are you okay?”
“Yeah, I just told you that.”
“You can tell me anything, no matter what’s going on. You know that, right.”
“Of course, is there something you want to tell me?”
“No…I just love you and want you to be happy.” He smiled, grimacing a little.
“I am happy.” She kissed him back quickly and rushed off to class.

~*~

“And you are sure you got everyone’s signatures at County High.” Detective Ormanda questioned her partner. 

“Yes, we set up stations at the library, the auditorium, everywhere we knew all students would go to at some point.” Detective James verified.
“And no one was skipped, or got out of line?”
“Not any station I was working.”
“And we made sure everyone signed the correct line, there is no room for error?”
“Everwood only has one high school and there weren’t but so many kids at that party. Everyone was questioned?”

“Yeah and they all had the same story.” Detective James continued. “The same story as they recalled the same events, nothing was rehearsed. Madison Kelner was seen at the party and then left.”
“Had she been drinking.”

“I think it’s a safe bet to say yes, lots of red plastic cups everywhere the day after.”
“Let me see the signature list.”
“Sure.”

Ormanda opened up the file and scanned her finger down every line of every sheet of paper. She stopped on one line.

“Amy Abbott, who is she?”
James looked at his computer records. “She is a junior at County High.”
“She didn’t sign her name.”
“She didn’t?”
“No, she did not. Mr. Masta, a teacher, was on duty that day from what’s written on this paper. Masta is a veteran teacher, he wouldn’t just skip anyone, would he?”
“I don’t think so. I will call up Ms. Abbott and have her submit a sample.”
“No, let’s not alarm her, just yet, she’s just a kid. I want to ask Mr. Masta for why Amy didn’t submit a sample when clearly, her name was written on the line.” Ormanda sipped her lukewarm coffee. “It’s obvious that Amy approached the table, she gave her name…her full name and just…walked away? I’m not buying that.”
“Alright, I’ll give Mr. Masta a call.”
“Okay, let me know what he says.” Ormanda nodded and headed back to her office.

~*~

Amy was sitting in her guidance counselor’s office after being called out of class. Recently, a lot of juniors were being called into the guidance counselor’s offices to prepare for the senior year and set up college resumes. Calmly Amy sat in the office, looking at all the degrees her counselor had. She was quite impressed.

“Sorry for the wait, Amy. It’s been crazy here this week.” Counselor Hetwood walked briskly into the office, plopping into her office chair.
“That’s okay, I got pulled out of class, so I’m grateful.”
Ms. Hetwood smiled. “I didn’t think you’d mind.”
“So, I’m not sure why I’m here, though.”
Ms. Hetwood seemed annoyed when trying not to roll her eyes. “Well, this is just a formality, but apparently when they were doing the handwriting samples last week, you didn’t sign.”
“Oh, they said I didn’t have to, according to the officer, or detective…whomever it was. Apparently, I’m a good kid.” Amy tried to laugh.
“Well, I agree, you are a good kid. But we all still need to follow rules.”
“It’s okay, I understand.”
“So, I don’t have their document, roster, paper thing. So if you could write your full name, Amy Nicole Abbott, right under the line where I wrote your name, you’re all set.”
“Sure.” Amy lifted up the paper and placed it on a book she took out of her bag. She wrote her name carefully, making, like always when it was her full name. Amy was always nervous when seeing her full name written out. Like she was in trouble at home and her mom would all out all three names to get her attention.”
"All done?”
Amy handed the paper back over. “Yep! All done!”
“Then you are good to go. I’m so sorry for interrupting your class for something so…preposterous. Thanks for understand, you are the good kid.”
“Thanks Ms. Hetwood.”

~*~

Hannah caught up with Amy in the hallway.

“So, what was the mysterious meeting you had to go to?”
“Oh, it was just there to submit the handwriting thing.”

“Wait, I thought everyone did that already.”

“I tried the other day we were in the library. The pen wasn’t working and Mr. Masta said I didn’t need to, that I was the most unlikely person to have written that letter.”
“Amy, you are the most unlikely person to have written that letter. Besides, you don’t keep a diary.”
“Yeah, I do.”
Hannah was surprised, caught off guard. “Wait, you have a diary. I thought you told me everything and Ephram…everything else.”
“I do, but you know, sometimes I want to work on some thoughts before telling you and Ephram.”
“Makes sense.”
“What are you doing this weekend?”
“Oh, yeah, Bright and I were going to Tyler Baxter’s party…for like a minute.”

“Really, Ephram wants to go too, but seems kind of morbid, don’t you think?”

“No, why. I know it’s the, I guess anniversary, of the night Madison died, but she didn’t die at the party.”
“Still, it’s the last place anyone seen her alive. That’s what everyone is going to be talking about. It’s a small town, nothing is never not talked about.”
“Then we can stay in our little circle or since it’s four of us, our little square like we usually do and say we where there.”
“You said you and Bright were staying there for a little bit, what else you two have going on.”
“I don’t know. Bright and I have decided to have one night, usually Saturday, totally dedicated to surprises. So we plan one thing, earlier in the evening and when that’s over, we just see where the night takes us. Sometimes we’ll go see a movie, get ice cream…get dinner or just hang out at the house and watch a movie. What are you and Ephram planning this weekend.”

“I think he mentioned something about wanting to go to the cabin this weekend, since Monday is a holiday…three day weekend.”
“Wow, that’ll be nice. Get away for a little while.” Hannah had a skip in her step. “Hey, wasn’t that the place you two had your first time together.”
Amy still blushed from that night. “Yeah, it was. The place is kind of special for us.”

“So that’s why Bright says that place is off limits for us.”
“Off limits?
“Yeah, it was strange. I suggested it and he was like a deer caught in headlights when I mentioned it. Like it was forbidden that I even mentioned it.”
“Yeah, I wouldn’t want to stay where my brother had sex either.” Amy looked and saw Hannah’s face fall. “Sorry, I’m a total idiot for mentioning Bright and…that.”
“No, Amy, it’s okay. Bright had other relationships before we met. From what I remember, when we first met, he was, I could say, scandalous around Everwood…for Everwood standards, that is.”
“Any change on that front?”
“As Beyonce would say, he’s gotta put a ring on it.”
“Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever heard you reference a musician and you did a good job.”
“Thanks! I’ve been working on my pop culture references.”

“Well, my friend, it definitely shows.”

~*~

Detective James knocked on Ormanda’s office door.

“I have an update on the Kelner case.”

“Good, what did that teacher have to say.”
“Turns out that this Amy Abbot girl is the perfect kid that he didn’t have her sign.” James shrugged. “He said he apologized and would get Ms. Abbott submit a handwriting sample.”
“Good, and what else did Mr. Masta have to say.”
“That he apologizes and Everwood has never been though anything quite like this and will make sure to use better judgement next time.”
“Good, and when should we expect Ms. Abbott’s handwriting sample?”
“Right now.” James handed the sample over to Oramanda.

Ormanda put Amy’s handwriting sample beside the diary letter. She shrugged.

“I will send this to the handwriting expert to see if they can find any matches. If not…case closed.”
“I wish we had better news for her parents. For all they had to say, Madison wasn’t the person to drive at night, especially in the area…where she was found.”
“Was she driving?”
“She was the only one at the scene and was thrown from the car. Unless the car drove it self there, Madison was driving.”
Ormanda got up from her desk, and started to pace around. “It’s fairly impossible for a driver to be thrown from a vehicle and the steering wheel be perfectly intact. Did forensics have a point of impact on where the front windshield was broken?”
“The way Ms. Kelner was lifted out of the far with force, it’s hard to tell. The reports stated that the side of her body went through the windshield. But I agree, the car’s driver side wasn’t touched, it was more the center and passenger sides. So, maybe she wasn’t driving.”
“Then who would be driving. Did you get any finger prints from the steering wheel?”
“Noting conclusive. But it was below freezing that night, the driver was probably wearing gloves.”
“No fibers? Hair, skin…nails?”
“No. The car wasn’t wiped down, but you could tell the person wasn’t in there that long or was too nervous to really sink into the seat and get comfortable.”
“Good point! So it was someone that maybe Madison didn’t know very well. Madison wanted to be responsible and got someone to drive her home.”
“Maybe at first? The location was the car was not anywhere near the party nor near her neighborhood. I’m guessing she was having someone drive her somewhere else.”
“Great! See if the parents know of anyone who Madison hangs out with.”
“We did, right after the crash. Reid Bardem, her college boyfriend. But he has an airtight alibi. He was in a study group with five people…at least, that can vouch for him.”
“Well, another dead end. Every time we get a lead, something else kills it. I feel like the person responsible for this is right under our noses and we’re just not seeing it.”
James was rereading the report on the car. “Wait a minute.”
“What is it?”
“I found something.”

~*~

Ephram walked out onto the back deck of Tyler Braxton’s house. Amy was sitting atop the railing, shivering.

“Amy, it’s freezing out here. What are you doing.”
“I had to get some air.”
“Okay, now let’s go inside.”
Amy looked up at him, smiling and her eyes watering. “Ephram, I love you.”
He tilted his head, smiling. “I love you too, Amy…can we go inside.”
“Can you take a walk with me?”
“Yeah.”

They had been walking for about a mile, not saying anything.

“Amy, honey, I really love you, I do. But it is really cold out here.” Ephram saw the vapor pour out of his mouth as he spoke. “What did you want to take a walk for.”
“That night, it’s been eating at me and I keep thinking it’ll just go away and it hasn’t.”
Ephram stood in front of her, lifting Amy’s head up, tears escaping her face. “What night?”
“Last year, the night of Tyler Braxton’s party.”
“Okay.” Ephram held his breath, feeling in his heart, that whatever was going on with Amy, he promised himself he’d be there for her.
“I offered to drive Madison home.” Amy spoke deeply, all the events of the night coming back to her.

Ephram didn’t want to say anything. He wanted to, but he knew this wasn’t about him right now. He continued to hold Amy’s hand.

“She had been drinking and I guess I…I don’t know. It’s not like we were friends. I guess I thought it would be five minutes and I’d be back. The roads were slippery and it was a short drive.” Amy sighed, continuing. “So we got into the car and just down the street, Madison told me where to turn and as we kept driving, I realized that she wasn’t taking me to her house, but instead, we were taking her to her boyfriend’s house, Reid…something or another. So i went along with it. We were already in the car anyway. But then, I guess, then, Madison’s alcohol took over and she kept ragging on me about not being popular and that we only dated because you couldn’t have her or something. I wanted to turn around, go back, really, I wanted to go back in time and never offer to get into the car with her. But she kept telling me we were getting closer.” Amy swallowed, then continued. “We ended up on a dead end road.” Amy let go of Ephram’s hand and wiped the tears away on her face. It was so cold that the tears seemed to be freezing to her face. Amy folded her arms to keep warm and continued. “We didn’t have a cell signal so I went to a gas station so I could call someone with a truck to get us out of the ditch seemed to be stuck in.”

Ephram waited for Amy to continue but she stayed silent as they made the way back.

“What happened when you got back.” He asked softly.
Amy’s lips started to tremble and not because shew as cold, although the memory of the events always ran a cold chill down her spine. “I wasn’t able to find anyone that would come out to that part of town since I didn’t know where we were anyway. So when I went back, the car was gone, like vanished.” Her voice was trembling as she continued. “I thought she got into the driver’s seat and went to wherever she was going. I just walked home, it was just a few miles.”

“That’s why you disappeared on me.”
“I’m so sorry, I didn’t know what to do. I just thought she ditched me for whoever she was going. I knew she didn’t like me anyway. Then when I found out she was killed and they found the car and Madison’s body…I didn’t know what to think. I mean, I was there, I could’ve stopped it, if I had just stayed, Madison would still be alive, everything okay be okay.” Amy stopped to catch her breath. “I don’t know what happened between me going to the gas station to the car sliding off the rails. But I was the last person to see Madison alive.”
Ephram backed from Amy, letting go of her hands. “It was you, you wrote the letter.”
Amy nodded, crying. “I did.”
“Why didn’t you tell anyone the truth?”

“Because, I honestly, I don’t know. I wasn’t there, but I left her alone, so I might as well of been the one to end her life…so I didn’t say anything. When the news announced that there was no evidence found and the case was going to be closed, I didn’t think there was a point to me saying anything.”
“If I’ve learned one thing from losing my mom and moving to Everwood, it’s that, it’s never too late.”
“I’m really scared…I mean, not saying anything makes me look more guilty, doesn’t it?”
“But the truth always helps. I’ll go with you, if you want.”
“Yeah, that would be nice.”
“Hey before we go inside…”
Amy turned around. “Yeah?”
Ephram placed a kiss on her mouth. “It’s going to be okay.”
Amy nodded nervously. “I hope so.”

~*~

Detective Ormando looked up to see Amy and Ephram walking into the precinct.

“Can I help you?”
“Yeah.” Amy sighed, tucking the hair behind her ears, standing up straight. “I need to confess something.”
“What did you want to confess to?”
Ephram placed his hands on Amy’s shoulders for reassurance as she began to speak. “I think I had something to do with the night Madison Kelner died.”
Detective Ormando’s eyes grew wider and hair stood up on the back of her neck. “Okay, let’s take your statement.” She saw Ephram walking with Amy. “Just you, your friend needs to stay behind.”
“Oh, okay.”

Ephram gave Amy a light kiss before she headed back with Detective Ormando.

“So, what information do you have about that night Madison Kelner died?” Detective Ormando asked.

Amy went over the details of what happened from when she and Madison got into the car up to when she returned from the gas station to see the car had vanished.

“I appreciate your honesty, but why did it take you a whole year to come forward.”
“Fear? Selfishness that I only cared about what happened to me. I wasn’t thinking about Madison’s parents and how they didn’t know anything.”
“We find that happens a lot in younger people.”
“I’m sorry.”
“I know you think you had a hand in Ms. Kelner’s death, but you didn’t? From the location of where the car was found, Ms. Kelner’s location and forensics in the car, the only thing you did wrong was drive on an icy road, which is not your fault…just more bad judgement.”
“What do you mean? I drove there, left her there, I’m guilty of something.”
“Yes, a guilty conscience and not coming forward sooner, yes. But those aren’t crimes in the court of law.”
“I don’t understand, I was there.”
“From what the forensic team and me and my partner put together, the car’s gear shift was not in park. I know, from the road you said you stopped on, you would have had to put the car in park, yes?”
“Yeah, I did, I didn't know where the emergency break was, I should’ve used that.”
“Ms. Abbott, you could put a car on chains hooked to a big rig, nothing is going to protect a car fro sliding against ice.”
‘So, if I put the car in park, how did it move?”
“Well, it had been raining combined with the snow and slush already on the ground, everything froze twice over. We gather that Ms. Kelner was going to move herself over to the drivers seat and didn’t want to slip on the roads outside. Upon moving, she must have involuntarily, moved the gear shift into neutral and the car started to move. Once the car started moving there was no way to stop it. So the car rolled by itself, and as you know, cars gain speed on a titled road. And, well, the rest is in the report which is now closed.”
“So I’m not guilty.”
“Not officially, but I think, based on the diary entry, you should talk to someone. Those were some very strong feelings you had to say about Ms. Kelner. I gather you didn’t like her, and that could be used as motive if Mr. and Mrs. Kelner wanted to press charges…in which they do not. They understand it was just an accident. They just wanted the truth and you provided that. You gave them peace of mind and I want to thank you for coming forward.” Detective Ormando stood up, walking towards the door.
“That’s it?”
“Yes, that’s it. We actually had already figured out what happened before you came in, we just didn’t have the whole story.”
“What happens now?”
“I talk to Ms. Kelner’s parents and relive of the worry about not knowing what happened to their daughter.”
“Tell them I’m sorry…that it took me this long.”
“They’ll just be relieved to know the truth.”

~*~

[THE END]
{EphramAmy}
patricia

Last edited by break the window; 04-02-2020 at 03:18 AM
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top