Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2018, 12:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
Yeah I really don’t like the second dumbeldore. I grew to like him more in the later ones but I totally agree, he came off very mean compared to book dumbeledore
I didn't like Gambon especially in the Goblet of Fire. Thought he was okay, outside of that film.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:29 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

He just didn’t portray book Dumbledore accurately. Alan Rickman, on the other hand, in my opinion, was perfection in his portrayal of Snape.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:39 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
He just didn’t portray book Dumbledore accurately. Alan Rickman, on the other hand, in my opinion, was perfection in his portrayal of Snape.
Considering there was an few characters that weren't close to their book versions at all, I think the direction deserves some blame too. Alan was fantastic
Old 07-15-2018, 02:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yup,

Oh Alan was SO good. He really made me care and love Snape. In the books, I didnt care much about him until the end.

Snape was still very problematic.. especially in his treatment of Harry, but I also understand why. Same goes for Malfoy. I was supposed to hat him the whole series but I couldn't help but love him to. I was a bit disappointed his redemption arc didnt come earlier though.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:00 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Yup,

Oh Alan was SO good. He really made me care and love Snape. In the books, I didnt care much about him until the end.

Snape was still very problematic.. especially in his treatment of Harry, but I also understand why. Same goes for Malfoy. I was supposed to hat him the whole series but I couldn't help but love him to. I was a bit disappointed his redemption arc didnt come earlier though.
When do you think they could have fitted it in Draco's redemption earlier on?
Old 07-15-2018, 07:44 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
Considering there was an few characters that weren't close to their book versions at all, I think the direction deserves some blame too. Alan was fantastic
Oh I totally agree. Direction/production need to be held responsible, too. Sometimes I wonder if everyone truly read the series and didn't just use CliffsNotes (loosely) or something.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:50 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Yup,

That was precisely my journey too. I didn't really care too much about Snape until the end when we got the full picture of him but Alan just keep me intrigued all the same. Once the book series concluded, I appreciated Alan's portrayal even more.

Quote:
Rowling has said in multiple interviews that we were never meant to love Snape. Not really. Respect him, understand his motives? Absolutely. But to truly adore the character, even putting him victim mode? No. She was careful to explain that Snape wasn't a light person through and through. Like you said, he was still very problematic. Absolutely true. Malfoy, I completely agree. Malfoy was nasty but a lot of his deal was influenced by his parents of course. Still, like you said, his redemption definitely lingered and could have happened a bit sooner but I guess Rowling's timing is what counts. I did love seeing him in the future a completely different person though. That was nice.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:29 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Regarding the Harry Potter Reread

Since we haven’t gotten a lot of participants we’ve just decided to turn it into an independent read. It doesn’t make any sense to put “rules” and “deadlines” when hardly anyone is participating. It wasn't looking good when the start time was extended in the first place, and then even after the extension there was very limited participation.

So the title will turn into Harry Potter Independent Reread. For those of us who are reading the series... when you read a chapter or so and want to write up thoughts and comments, go for it. I know for sure I will be around to respond. I am also going to continue reading and I will make my own comments here and there as well.

If anyone else is reading something unrelated to Harry Potter, please feel free to comment on your book too!

Thanks!

Last edited by jediwands; 07-15-2018 at 10:42 AM
Old 07-15-2018, 11:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Regarding the Harry Potter Reread

Since we haven’t gotten a lot of participants we’ve just decided to turn it into an independent read. It doesn’t make any sense to put “rules” and “deadlines” when hardly anyone is participating. It wasn't looking good when the start time was extended in the first place, and then even after the extension there was very limited participation.

So the title will turn into Harry Potter Independent Reread. For those of us who are reading the series... when you read a chapter or so and want to write up thoughts and comments, go for it. I know for sure I will be around to respond. I am also going to continue reading and I will make my own comments here and there as well.

If anyone else is reading something unrelated to Harry Potter, please feel free to comment on your book too!

Thanks!

I hate to be right, but when this idea came up and Michelle polled everyone to see who would be participating...I warned her that even though promises are made and enthusiasm is there when we start any type of rewatch...it always fizzles in the end because of lack of final commitment.Sad...but true.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:25 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I hate to be right, but when this idea came up and Michelle polled everyone to see who would be participating...I warned her that even though promises are made and enthusiasm is there when we start any type of rewatch...it always fizzles in the end because of lack of final commitment.Sad...but true.
You were right and told me as much. You were right, right, right. LOL. Wise one.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

I can get involved more now since I just started book 3. I was waiting for others to catch up but this works better.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:49 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
I can get involved more now since I just started book 3. I was waiting for others to catch up but this works better.
Sounds good, Shu! It does work better, indeed. Post away!
Old 07-15-2018, 12:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Sounds good, Shu! It does work better, indeed. Post away!
Thanks. Weird confession, but I have never seen a single harry potter movie.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
Thanks. Weird confession, but I have never seen a single harry potter movie.
You're not missing too much in my opinion.

They are SO different from the books. Honestly, it might even ruin the book series for you since I know how much you love your books. If you ever considered watching, I'd wait until you finish up reading the series.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
You're not missing too much in my opinion.

They are SO different from the books. Honestly, it might even ruin the book series for you since I know how much you love your books. If you ever considered watching, I'd wait until you finish up reading the series.
Thanks for the advice