Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2018, 08:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
What did you generally love for school subjects? History? Math? Science?

Tying this with Harry Potter... so many subjects from the HP Universe I would love..

Charms, Potions, Astronomy, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Flying, Herbology, History of Magic, Muggle Studies, Transfiguration, Care of Magical Creatures, Alchemy, Apparition, Arithmancy, Divination, Ancient Runes...

Sign me up. LOL
I basically into Maths, Business and Modern History. Nothing else though lol

Some of those did sound pretty interesting though
Old 07-13-2018, 08:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
I basically into Maths, Business and Modern History. Nothing else though lol

Some of those did sound pretty interesting though
That's cool though. I suck at math too. Well, I was average but nothing special. Social sciences for me like psychology, sociology were my strong subjects. Math and science were not easy for me which is interesting because my sister is a big time research scientist and my father's an electrical engineer. Looks like somehow those good genes missed me.

They do sound super interesting.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

She writes in a way that is really easy to follow but I agree about the layers. Its insane how she can remember all the details. Like, if a tv show was as good of quality as her books were, it would just be winning all the awards. Maybe there were plot holes/dropped storylines in the books, but I dont remember any major ones. I just love how the storyline built and concluded too. There was never like.. a rushed moment or a book that didnt make sense to me. Every part of the story was so riveting and the twists and turns in the books were so good too. How did she do it? Seriously? She deserves every ounce of money and fame for those books because they are incredible.

Quote:
What's your favourite book out of the whole series?
For me, it was book 3. But I am slightly biased because I

Spoiler:

After book 3 my order would go:

book 6 (like wow, talk about twists and turns. I found the storyline just so amazing to read and see it play out and the ending of the book shocked me!)
book 7 (its the last one, so it pulled out all the stops)
book 4 (i liked the whole theme in this episode with the cup stuff)
book 1 (simple but a nice introduction to the characters and the series)
book 5 (amazingly detailed but i got so angry with umbrage and everyone being mean to harry. it really pissed me off.)
book 2 (all the tom riddle stuff didnt interest me as much. but i still loved the book!)

Movie order would be different though lol.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:55 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
She writes in a way that is really easy to follow but I agree about the layers. Its insane how she can remember all the details. Like, if a tv show was as good of quality as her books were, it would just be winning all the awards. Maybe there were plot holes/dropped storylines in the books, but I dont remember any major ones. I just love how the storyline built and concluded too. There was never like.. a rushed moment or a book that didnt make sense to me. Every part of the story was so riveting and the twists and turns in the books were so good too. How did she do it? Seriously? She deserves every ounce of money and fame for those books because they are incredible.
The only way to explain it is there was some Spiritual Force guiding her while she created the Harry Potter Series, lol. Maybe her mother who died of MS that she's very close to... but the entire Magic of Harry Potter extends to just what you're saying... how did she do it... the series flowed from start to finish and there's things (even one mention of a name!) in SS/PS that are not even revisited until a later book. You read a later book and it hits you knowing she had this very precise detail set up years before this, etc. This went on throughout the entire series. Not one thing didn't make sense, it flowed like she literally DID use a Time Turner to look into the future and construct the entire series inside her head before even putting pen to paper. She's amazing and like you said, deserves every ounce of money/fame she's received, past, present and future.

Quote:
For me, it was book 3. But I am slightly biased because I

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
After book 3 my order would go:

book 6 (like wow, talk about twists and turns. I found the storyline just so amazing to read and see it play out and the ending of the book shocked me!)
book 7 (its the last one, so it pulled out all the stops)
book 4 (i liked the whole theme in this episode with the cup stuff)
book 1 (simple but a nice introduction to the characters and the series)
book 5 (amazingly detailed but i got so angry with umbrage and everyone being mean to harry. it really pissed me off.)
book 2 (all the tom riddle stuff didnt interest me as much. but i still loved the book!)

Movie order would be different though lol.
Nice list.

How would your movie order go?
Old 07-14-2018, 03:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Exactly, it really feels like she had every detail planned out. But did she? Or did she just write as she went along and only had like the major stuff planned? I cant imagine being that good of a writer.

Movies are harder to rank because I feel like I haven't seen them as much as read the books, but I would probably say:

Movie 3 - same reason as the books really. Although I wish they were in wizarding clothes a bit more often lol
Movie 7 - part 1 of the last book was just incredible. I just remember LOVING the whole thing when I first saw it.
Movie 5 - I didnt love the book because it felt very dark to me and depressing but the movie really delivered and made everything come together. I guess because it was a movie, the depressing stuff regarding people hating on Harry, and the umbrage stuff was cut down, so i enjoyed it.
movie 2 - i liked how this one transferred on screen and i liked that it felt a bit more adult like than the first film but still had that sort of magical feel to it.
movie 1 - same as above. it was cute seeing the cast so young and i liked how charming this movie felt. the old dumbledore too
movie 6 - tbh i dont remember a lot about this movie and i need to rewatch it but i remember not liking it as much as i liked the books, it was a bit depressing with the malfoy train scene and the ending stuff.
movie 8 - there were some great bits but i didnt like some of the changes they made at the ending to totally honest, and because it was ending, idk,... it was sad in that way for me to see the series come to a close. plus them splitting the last movie in two, it made the last two movies feel a bit slower, but i just enjoyed the plot of part 1 a bit better.
movie 4 - this one felt super depressing to me. especially the ending. and in general the movie just came off a lot darker than the others. plus i am not sure what the heck was up with emma's acting in this one, she just basically screamed the entire movie, it was really weird.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:10 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
That's cool though. I suck at math too. Well, I was average but nothing special. Social sciences for me like psychology, sociology were my strong subjects. Math and science were not easy for me which is interesting because my sister is a big time research scientist and my father's an electrical engineer. Looks like somehow those good genes missed me.

They do sound super interesting.
I don't think we did any social science subjects down here lol
Old 07-14-2018, 09:18 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I don't think we did any social science subjects down here lol
So you don't have any psychologists/sociologists in Aussie?

We started being able to take those courses very early on... even middle school and heavy in high school if we desired. I loved it because it was what allowed me to realize I wanted to become a Clinical Research Psychologist. I wouldn't have known otherwise.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:33 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
Exactly, it really feels like she had every detail planned out. But did she? Or did she just write as she went along and only had like the major stuff planned? I cant imagine being that good of a writer.
It might have been a combination but overall she had so much planned. It's incredible.

Quote:
Movies are harder to rank because I feel like I haven't seen them as much as read the books, but I would probably say:
Admittedly, I don't love the movies because they cannot compare to the books. In the past, I've gotten frustrated with the stuff they keep out of movies, etc. I had to let go and just enjoy them for entertainment purposes.

Quote:
Movie 3 - same reason as the books really. Although I wish they were in wizarding clothes a bit more often lol
LOL. It was nicely constructed. Honestly, if PoA wasn't based on the book series, it would have been even more praised. It's just a great movie in general, so well done.

Quote:
Movie 7 - part 1 of the last book was just incredible. I just remember LOVING the whole thing when I first saw it.
It was a great set up for the conclusion.

Quote:
Movie 5 - I didnt love the book because it felt very dark to me and depressing but the movie really delivered and made everything come together. I guess because it was a movie, the depressing stuff regarding people hating on Harry, and the umbrage stuff was cut down, so i enjoyed it.
I liked seeing more characters come to life in the book series and Umbridge is the definition of evil. I loved the intro to Luna. Do you like Luna?

Quote:
movie 2 - i liked how this one transferred on screen and i liked that it felt a bit more adult like than the first film but still had that sort of magical feel to it.
Rowling says CoS was her most complicated book to write and the importance it has to the series in general cannot be overstated. It's really true too given the Horcrux angle.

Quote:
movie 1 - same as above. it was cute seeing the cast so young and i liked how charming this movie felt. the old dumbledore too
This Dumbledore IS the Dumbledore of the movie series in my mind.

Quote:
movie 6 - tbh i dont remember a lot about this movie and i need to rewatch it but i remember not liking it as much as i liked the books, it was a bit depressing with the malfoy train scene and the ending stuff.
Malfoy stuff was complicated, Dumbledore's death was devastating.

Quote:
movie 8 - there were some great bits but i didnt like some of the changes they made at the ending to totally honest, and because it was ending, idk,... it was sad in that way for me to see the series come to a close. plus them splitting the last movie in two, it made the last two movies feel a bit slower, but i just enjoyed the plot of part 1 a bit better.
I was disappointed in certain areas too.

Quote:
movie 4 - this one felt super depressing to me. especially the ending. and in general the movie just came off a lot darker than the others. plus i am not sure what the heck was up with emma's acting in this one, she just basically screamed the entire movie, it was really weird.
I love Emma but she wasn't the greatest actor out of the bunch. She improved overall but with the overbreathing at times and like you said, the screaming... LOL.

I also hated when Dumbledore (the second one) ran up to Harry and practically assaulted him when asking if he put his name in the Goblet of Fire. My God did they ruin this scene. In the books Dumbledore never acts like an out of control maniac. So running up to Harry acting like he is ready to physically harm him in the movie... so terribly off. Dumbledore is in control, gentle, confident the entire time. That is one of his biggest traits... never out of control emotionally, strong, Voldemort doesn't scare him, nothing does because he's wise beyond his years and almost angelic in energy. I despised this scene in the movie suggesting otherwise. Thus, it ruined the movie for me as a whole.

Last edited by jediwands; 07-14-2018 at 09:41 AM
Old 07-14-2018, 02:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

So weird... I was channel surfing just now... landed on USA Network and GoF is on, lol.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
So you don't have any psychologists/sociologists in Aussie?

We started being able to take those courses very early on... even middle school and heavy in high school if we desired. I loved it because it was what allowed me to realize I wanted to become a Clinical Research Psychologist. I wouldn't have known otherwise.
We do, but we just didn't do those courses. At least at my school anyways lol
Old 07-14-2018, 03:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
We do, but we just didn't do those courses. At least at my school anyways lol
I was teasing.

Interesting. So those courses happen at the college level only?
Old 07-14-2018, 03:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I was teasing.

Interesting. So those courses happen at the college level only?
I assume so, maybe some of the higher level schools have those subjects
Old 07-14-2018, 06:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I assume so, maybe some of the higher level schools have those subjects
Got it.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah I really don’t like the second dumbeldore. I grew to like him more in the later ones but I totally agree, he came off very mean compared to book dumbeledore
Old 07-15-2018, 12:39 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Got it.
Yep
Closed Thread   Post New Thread