Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Dedicated Fan

Just been looking at your online DVD collection, Matt, and there are only about 30 movies we both have, though there are ones I've seen but haven't been able to add them to my collection yet-now you've reminded me that they're out there I'm going to have to buy them, as well as movies I've heard of but never seen.

Oh, and I'm not mocking your disdain for rom coms-some of them are really crappy, but I'll go and see them to escape my life for a couple of hours! The world would be a very boring place if everyone liked the same thing!

I've never seen Clockwork Orange & have no desire to, as I know my limits and from what I've heard it's way beyond them. I've never watched a whole Tarantino movie either for the same reason!

My reason for getting into the old movies was because of Marilyn Monroe & Audrey Hepburn. Some Like It Hot is completely brilliant, very funny and witty so I'd recommend that one if you're interested in starting to watch films from the 40's-50's. All About Eve is pretty awesome too, though not as funny or as fluffy. It's fun to time the kisses in old movies (as they weren't allowed to be over 5 seconds on screen) and to see married characters sleeping in separate beds, and if they are in bed together, one person's leg must always be on the ground/off the bed...

You're perfectly entitled to not like chick flicks, being a guy and all, but the ones you do have are awesome, in my opinion (because I own them too!). You certainly have a lot of cult male films (Fight Club, Pulp Fiction, 12 Monkeys...) so it all balances out.
At least you don't seem to have the need to own all the big Summer "Oh no! The world's going to explode!" blockbuster movies which are all exactly the same, as far as I can tell!

I'm also a massive musical theatre nerd, as I love Chicago, Rent, Hairspray... Since I can't see them on stage, I make do with the movies!

I feel for you with your list of movies to see, but you're not alone! I too have a couple of lists I have on hand, one for films that are out on DVD that I want/need & another listing the films that I want to see, along with their release date.

I've seen 42 movies since January 2010 and there are at least 12 more I want to see before 2012 starts. In 2010 I managed to see 54 films at the cinema, so I'm trying to beat my record!

Betty, do you have any best/worst adaptations from page to screen?

I hate the adaptation of Captain Corelli's Mandolin (Nicholas Cage as Corelli= fail, Penelope Cruz as Pelagia= also fail, taking out all the historical context/funny moments/other characters & Hollywoody-fying it= epic fail, but yay for the pretty scenery). The director/writer should have talked to me and it would have been so much better! I actually think To Kill A Mockingbird is a patchy adaptation, as, although the cast is brilliant, so many of the little moments that show Jem & Scout growing up are missed out, which I thought was a pity. In Her Shoes was disappointing in places too (Maggie going to college & discovering literature that way was so much better than what happened in the movie, in my opinion!). The Devil Wears Prada also left out some great scenes from the book, like Andy playing Scrabble with her dad and all the words that get spelled out are to do with Andy's feelings about her job or describe her boss. Plus it was a great way of showing that Andy loves words/literature which I didn't really get from Anne Hathaway in the movie.

Memoirs of A Geisha was a really faithful adaptation, from what I remember, as was Water For Elephants. I haven't read the novels that Stardust and The Notebook are based on, but I have a lot of love for them both. I don't really have that many book adaptations as I'm quite fussy when it comes to my precious paper friends being portrayed properly!

Last edited by Louisa C; 08-21-2011 at 03:14 PM Reason: forgot stuff!
Old 08-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisa C (View Post)
Just been looking at your online DVD collection, Matt, and there are only about 30 movies we both have, though there are ones I've seen but haven't been able to add them to my collection yet-now you've reminded me that they're out there I'm going to have to buy them, as well as movies I've heard of but never seen.
Thanks for taking a look. What does "Only" mean? I'm glad that we have so many movies in common! Since my intention was not to tell you that my collection is better than yours or something like that it's great to see that we can enjoy some of the same movies. I want to buy a lot more movies, but I've put so many movies on my list that I want to watch in the future, it doesn't matter anymore, too much. I have movies in my collection I bought like 2 years ago or so, but didn't even unpack, cos usually if I don't watch the movie (or somebody else does) they stay like new in my shelf.

Quote:
I've never seen Clockwork Orange & have no desire to, as I know my limits and from what I've heard it's way beyond them. I've never watched a whole Tarantino movie either for the same reason!
Totally understandable! I've watched it once, but admit I wasn't really ready for it, I didn't really get it, cos it's an older movie, it's made different than today's movies. But I thought it was not bad, I have to rewatch it. I don't watch Horror movies, never watched something like Saw or Hostel or whatever sick crap is out there, that's not my world. I don't really know what I would think about them, maybe I'd laugh about how boring they are, or I'd be disgusted, but I don't watch them, I'd rather watch a movie like Another Cinderella Story (I did some weeks ago) though I know it's gonna suck instead of any horror movie. Tarantino is more for a male audience I'd say (don't get that wrong), there are easier movies out there, he has a certain style, I also have only seen like 3 or so movies of Tarantino, when I saw Kill Bill some years ago I thought it was like a 1/10 movie or so, but today I'd give it some extra points for having a certain style and so on. But why bother with that? When I am watching those movies, you watch the movies you like more, we don't have time to check out everything and maybe find a good one between a lot of average or boring ones.

Quote:
My reason for getting into the old movies was because of Marilyn Monroe & Audrey Hepburn. Some Like It Hot is completely brilliant, very funny and witty so I'd recommend that one if you're interested in starting to watch films from the 40's-50's. All About Eve is pretty awesome too, though not as funny or as fluffy. It's fun to time the kisses in old movies (as they weren't allowed to be over 5 seconds on screen) and to see married characters sleeping in separate beds, and if they are in bed together, one person's leg must always be on the ground/off the bed...
I only watched Breakfast At Tiffany's and I didn't like it all. Sorry, I'm really sorry, I even didn't like Audrey Hepburn. Now a lot of people want to see me hang, I'm just honest, I bought it cos I thought it could be nice to watch a classic, didn't work. It's really funny what things you are telling me about these old movies. Wow, didn't know that at all, but it totally makes sense, today everything is possible in movies, there are no real limits, but 60-70 years ago, you couldn't do anything you want. I wrote down the 2 movies, just in case.

Quote:
You're perfectly entitled to not like chick flicks, being a guy and all, but the ones you do have are awesome, in my opinion (because I own them too!). You certainly have a lot of cult male films (Fight Club, Pulp Fiction, 12 Monkeys...) so it all balances out.
At least you don't seem to have the need to own all the big Summer "Oh no! The world's going to explode!" blockbuster movies which are all exactly the same, as far as I can tell!
Oh no! I HATE those blockbuster movies, I admit there are some good ones, or some that are fun, but a lot that are crap, like 2012, or Transformers, or Battle L.A. or something like that, no, you won't find those movies in my collection. Same goes for everything that is connected to superheroes, like marvel or stuff like that, some are decent, but it's not my world in the end. Thanks, could you tell me which chick flicks I own/you like? Then I maybe can tell you something more. I have a strange collection, it's not clearly defined, it's not like I have a lot of horror movies, or asian movies, or classics or this genre, it's very mixed I would say. It's more a collection of me buying this movie here and that one there and putting it all together, it's also not that I need to have every movie of this director or actor.

Quote:
I'm also a massive musical theatre nerd, as I love Chicago, Rent, Hairspray... Since I can't see them on stage, I make do with the movies!
I love music, but I'm not sure what I think about musical, didn't like Mulin Rouge the new version, like the Wizard of Oz and Mary Poppins, that's the closest thing I got to watch a musical movie.

Quote:
I feel for you with your list of movies to see, but you're not alone! I too have a couple of lists I have on hand, one for films that are out on DVD that I want/need & another listing the films that I want to see, along with their release date.
Yeah, I like to write some lists on IMDB, it's nice to have it, in moments like this I could tell you like: I have this and that and those movies, or just simply give you a link and you can check it out for yourself It makes things a lot easier for both of us.

Quote:
I've seen 42 movies since January 2010 and there are at least 12 more I want to see before 2012 starts. In 2010 I managed to see 54 films at the cinema, so I'm trying to beat my record!
Since 2010? You mean 2011. I've seen 70 this year and 85 last year. I wish I would've watched 70 more, but I spend too much time on tv series.

Here are two lists, the one for 2010 and the one for 2011.

IMDb: Movies watched in 2010 - a list by BlackholeTraveller

IMDb: Movies watched in 2011 - a list by BlackholeTraveller

Quote:
In Her Shoes was disappointing in places too (Maggie going to college & discovering literature that way was so much better than what happened in the movie, in my opinion!). Memoirs of A Geisha was a really faithful adaptation, from what I remember, as was Water For Elephants. I haven't read the novels that Stardust and The Notebook are based on, but I have a lot of love for them both. I don't really have that many book adaptations as I'm quite fussy when it comes to my precious paper friends being portrayed properly!
I kinda found In Her Shose okay, though I usually am not a fan of Cameron Diaz. The Geisha as I think it is called in Germany I watched in cinema, the settings were impressive, that I remember. Stardust was okay, I liked it the first time, but the 2nd time it was only okay, it has a nice story, could imagine the book being better. I really like The Notebook - but here is somebody talking who has no idea about the books, that of course makes it easier.

It's really fun to chat a bit about movies.

Last edited by ForVanAngel; 08-21-2011 at 04:15 PM
Old 08-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Dedicated Fan

Matt, out of 300 movies, 30 in common is only 10%, so not many really!

I love that you like The Notebook, Finding Neverland, 500 Days Of Summer & Stepmom, as I classify them all as chick flicks! Life As A House, October Sky & Fly Away Home I adore too, though they're more in the family drama category.

I was going to suggest Breakfast at Tiffany's for your introduction to classic movies, but you tried it, and fair enough, it wasn't your cup of tea. It took me two viewings to actually watch it, as I fell asleep the first time. Part of the appeal of old movies for me is all the fashions of the time too: lots of pretty dresses, perfect hair & red lipstick!

I love going to see adaptations of books on the big screen. I don't think having high expectations regarding the source material ruins the experience at all, in fact I find it quite fun to dissect it all after and sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised.

And you're right, I did mean I've watched 42 movies since January 2011, not 2010!

Are the ones you've seen all been at the cinema? If I count the ones I've watched at home/while babysitting, then it's probably closer to 70 so far for this year!

I'm pretty obsessed with Glee, so that's really got me into musicals, as two-three characters are really into them (Kurt, Rachel & possibly Blaine) and they sing a lot of songs from them, even sometimes obscure ones I've never heard of before, like Gypsy which is awesome! I love Once, and I'd count that as a musical & The Wizard of Oz is just lovely too. Moulin Rouge has Ewan Mc Gregor, need I say more. Handsome singing male makes me melt!

Last edited by Louisa C; 08-21-2011 at 04:04 PM Reason: Glee!/500 Days of Summer weren't mentioned
Old 08-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Betty, do you have any best/worst adaptations from page to screen?
Best:
I like the adaptations of the John Grisham books: The Firm, The Pelican Brief, The Client
The Godfather,
The Notebook
I LOVE Matilda
Jurassic Park
Love Story

The Exorcist

(These are the only ones I remember)

Worse:

I have been told that the Harry Potter films are not as good as the books.

I was also disappointed in the film: "The DaVinci Code."
I also heard that the film "The Lovely Bones" is not as good as the book.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Matt, out of 300 movies, 30 in common is only 10%, so not many really!
Considering there are thousands of movies out there, it's not bad. Like you sad, if I was a typical young male, I could have a lot of action movies and less drama or chick flicks and then we'd be done to like 10 or less.

Quote:
I love that you like The Notebook, Finding Neverland & Stepmom, as I classify them all as chick flicks! Life As A House, October Sky & Fly Away Home I adore too, though they're more in the family drama category.
I like them all, 'cept Fly Away Home I didn't really like that much, but it was nice too watch and the young ducks made up for some things, it is based on a true story and though I wasn't too happy with both lead actors (sorry, IMO), Jeff Daniels really looked a lot like the real guy. I agree with your classification except I don't think Finding Neverland is a chick flick. Not at all. Okay, there is a love story in it, but does that mean it's more a movie towards women? IMO not. Funny thing is that I mentioned Stepmom when answering to some comment for Confessions Of A Shopaholic, I wrote like "even women could be bored by the story" and I just gave Stepmom as an example for movies for women that I could like. Yeah, family movies is something I like, of course there are good and bad ones, but in general that genre interests me.

Quote:
I was going to suggest Breakfast at Tiffany's for your introduction to classic movies, but you tried it, and fair enough, it wasn't your cup of tea. It took me two viewings to actually watch it, as I fell asleep the first time. Part of the appeal of old movies for me is all the fashions of the time too: lots of pretty dresses, perfect hair & red lipstick!
I can see that, it was just that I found Audrey's character annoying, I couldn't like her, now I don't now if it was her, or just the movie or me. I also like watching movies to see how live was at that time, like 50 years ago, that's exciting, but the story also has to be interesting to me.

Quote:
Are the ones you've seen all been at the cinema? If I count the ones I've watched at home/while babysitting, then it's probably closer to 70 so far for this year!
No, of course not, that'd be very expensive. I watched 8 (2010) and 9 (this year) in cinema. Usually I don't watch many movies on big screen, a) my friends have a different taste, I watched a lot of really bad movies in cinema, I don't like spending money for that anymore, b) it takes some time to find a movie (like recently The Rise ot Planet ot Apes) that I can agree to watch, because it's both something they like to watch and I think it's at least okay, but no total waste of time, and c) you surely know that I have to watch the German dubbed versions in cinema. I don't like that, though with movies we are doing a lot better than with dubbed tv shows, still movies are of course a lot or at least better in English.

Quote:
I'm pretty obsessed with Glee, so that's really got me into musicals, as two-three characters are really into them (Kurt, Rachel & possibly Blaine) and they sing a lot of songs from them, even sometimes obscure ones I've never heard of before, like Gypsy which is awesome! I love Once, and I'd count that as a musical & The Wizard of Oz is just lovely too. Moulin Rouge has Ewan Mc Gregor, need I say more. Handsome singing male makes me melt!
Watched 4 episodes, wasn't my world. At least I tried. I know the concept of the show, I can say that I actually liked this or that song, the singing part is not bad. Sorry, Once? Of course I watched that one, got it on dvd, I liked it, surprisingly good, it's not a musical film in the classic sense, that's why I forgot it. I liked Ewan a lot more than the Kidman, he's a really nice guy, the total opposit of what you think is the average Hollywood actor, and I like the scottish accent too, though it was impossible to understand anything of the beginning of Trainspotting.

Betty, I like the Harry Potter movies, and I loved the books, but there has been a too big time difference between books and movies. Of course the books can describe things better and are much longer and you can use your imagination, for example, I thought the last movies (7.2) was nice to watch but there was something missing, like it was too easy for them to do something. And that is a thing a book can do better, there you get a better feeling of time. Same with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Best:
I was also disappointed in the film: "The DaVinci Code."
Actually I read the book, but didn't finish it or so, not sure, anyway, I didn't like the movie too, cos when the book was taking its time to tell us and to let the inspector think, the movie was like "5 seconds and he found out that P.S. stands for" and then the next riddle he solves in like 1 minute and so on and on and on, it was boring. The book was kinda interesting, though Mr. Dan Brown was too serious about the "it's all based on fact" thing, but the book itself was interesting to read, I just read it through vocational school cos I was bored ... with school.

Last edited by ForVanAngel; 08-21-2011 at 04:20 PM
Old 08-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Betty, I like the Harry Potter movies, and I loved the books, but there has been a too big time difference between books and movies. Of course the books can describe things better and are much longer and you can use your imagination, for example, I thought the last movies (7.2) was nice to watch but there was something missing, like it was too easy for them to do something. And that is a thing a book can do better, there you get a better feeling of time.

Yeah...I'm sure the films were good. I haven't read any of the books or saw any of the movies. I have been told that if I want to read any of the books....don't see the movies.first..because they're very different.

I just read this:

Quote:
'Help' moves upstairs with $20.5M, No. 1 weekend
LOS ANGELES, Sun Aug 21, 08:06 PM

"The Help" continues to clean up at the box office, taking over the No. 1 spot with $20.5 million in its second weekend. The DreamWorks Pictures film starring Viola Davis, Emma Stone and Octavia Spencer in a drama about Southern black maids had debuted in second-place a week earlier. "The Help" raised its domestic total to $71.8 million and bumped 20th Century Fox's "Rise of the Planet of the Apes," which slipped to No. 2 with $16.3 million after two weekends at the top, according to studio estimates Sunday.

Quote:
"Rise of the Planet of the Apes"
remains a solid hit, lifting its domestic total to $133.8 million.

Much as Kathryn Stockett's novel "The Help" became a best-seller through readers talking it up, the film is holding strong as audiences tell friends to go see it, said Dave Hollis, head of distribution for Disney, which releases DreamWorks films.

While revenues often drop 50 percent or more in the second weekend for big studio films, receipts for "The Help" were down only 21 percent from opening weekend.

"It is a rare feat to see a film not open at No. 1 and then become No. 1," Hollis said. "To me, it's a testament of it being a great film, as well as the viral nature of the word of mouth about it."

A rush of new movies had weak openings: the Weinstein Co. family sequel "Spy Kids: All the Time in the World" at No. 3 with $12 million; Lionsgate's action remake "Conan the Barbarian" at No. 4 with $10 million; the DreamWorks-Disney horror-comedy remake "Fright Night" at No. 5 with $8.3 million; and Focus Features' literary adaptation "One Day" at No. 9 with $5.1 million.

Overall domestic revenues slid for the first time in five weekends. Receipts totaled $124 million, down 3 percent from the same weekend last year, when "The Expendables" led with $17 million, according to box-office tracker Hollywood.com.

Other than "Fright Night," the new movies were panned by critics, and audiences were apathetic about all of the newcomers.

"This is the reason the term dog days of August was invented," said Hollywood.com analyst Paul Dergarabedian. "Other than the `The Help' and to some extent `Rise of the Planet of the Apes,' everybody else got beat up this weekend. This was one of those really slow, turn-movie-theaters-into-a-ghost-town weekends."

Three of the new movies - "Spy Kids," "Conan the Barbarian" and "Fright Night" - had the benefit of higher-priced 3-D screenings, but none were able to capitalize.

Robert Rodriguez's fourth "Spy Kids," featuring Jessica Alba as an agent whose step-kids get in on the espionage action, also added odor to the picture with scratch-and-sniff cards handed out to viewers so they could smell what the characters were smelling.

The gimmick failed to pack in crowds, though, with the sequel's revenues coming in at barely a third of the $33.4 million debut for the last "Spy Kids" flick in 2003.

"Conan the Barbarian"
stars Jason Momoa as the fierce warrior played by Arnold Schwarzenegger in the 1980s original. "Fright Night" features Colin Farrell as a vampire going after a neighbor (Anton Yelchin) who discovers he's a blood-sucker. Based on David Nicholls' best-seller, "One Day" casts Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess as friends in a decades-long romantic dance that plays out on the same day each year.

With solid reviews, Disney executives thought "Fright Night" would offer a good mix of scares and laughs for fans in their late teens and early 20s. But distribution boss Hollis said "Fright Night" fell victim to an issue that has troubled studios all summer: How do you bring out younger crowds when they have so many personal entertainment options, from video games to downloading movies?

"What happened here has been a problem for the industry for a long time, and that's just how do you crack the nut with young adults?" Hollis said. "They've been increasingly finicky."

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com. Where available, latest international numbers are also included. Final domestic figures will be released Monday.

1. "The Help," $20.5 million.

2. "Rise of the Planet of the Apes," $16.3 million.

3. "Spy Kids: All the Time in the World," $12 million.

4. "Conan the Barbarian," $10 million.

5. "Fright Night," $8.3 million.

6. "The Smurfs," $8 million ($35.3 million international).

7. "Final Destination 5," $7.7 million.

8. "30 Minutes or Less," $6.3 million.

9. "One Day," $5.1 million.

10. "Crazy, Stupid, Love," $5 million.

___

Online:

Box Office | Hollywood.com
___

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 08-21-2011 at 06:16 PM
Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 AM
New Fan

Talking about Emma Stone, i saw Paper Man

Very nice,her best movie til now

this summer i saw many Scorsese ''The King''movies, i m in love with King of the comedy

Uh,Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind is amazing (ephram and amy watched it too )

Last edited by Blue Valentine; 08-22-2011 at 03:13 AM
Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Obsessed Fan

The Middle: Season 2, Episode 1

Not much money, no summer fun, nothing today, bored kids = Frankie is glad that school starts again, back to school and everything is in order. I hope season 2 is as good as season 1 and that Frankie finally gets a new job. Frankie, she wanted to change, to make her family more active, but that didn’t fit to her family, she was so full of energy, but her family not really. Overparent. “I’m a morning person now, I hope you’re happy.” Axl has always so great sarcastic waste of life teenager lines. But this episode was missing the fun, Axl was acting a bit weird due to his waking up early, Brick didn’t to go to school cos the old teacher took his desk from the back to the front of the class, Sue didn’t want to take of her cross country sweater, though it had like 80° and Frankie was boring the teacher. Highlight was Frankie running behind the trash van to get Brick’s old backbpack back. And Mike saw her digging thru the trash and drove away. In the end Frankie realized it was better for her family to let everything be the way it was before. Was not bad, but there was something missing. Hope next episode is better.

Scoundrels: Season 1, Episode 8

Solid, but not special finale. There was no really interesting storyline, Vanessa Marano aka Hope was cute, but only had a couple of scenes. Heather got married, Cal lost everything thanks to his not-girlfriend, Cheryl or better Hope and Logan found out that their dad got framed. And Cheryl had to take the blame for the drugbust. I’d like to see some of the actors in other shows, the storylines not. Make it funnier, more dramatic and if necessary shorter, 40 minutes is too long. There was no real ending, the show got cancelled in the middle, but I don’t care. The show ended with Wolf getting out of prison, I can say that this was a nice ending, he went into prison in the pilot and got out in the end. Cal got arrested and Wolf returned and opened the front door right in the moment when the detective was kissing or almost kissing Cheryl. What an ending. “What the hell is going on here?” It’s over, that’s what’s going on. :-)

Quote:
Yeah...I'm sure the films were good. I haven't read any of the books or saw any of the movies. I have been told that if I want to read any of the books....don't see the movies.first..because they're very different.
How can this even be possible? In what universe are you living? If you want to read the books first it would take you a long time to read and then watch 8 movies, a marathon project. Hope you make it someday, it's def worth it.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
How can this even be possible? In what universe are you living? If you want to read the books first it would take you a long time to read and then watch 8 movies, a marathon project. Hope you make it someday, it's def worth it.
I don't believe it's possible! I'm not going to do this....because *Ducks!!!*...Harry Potter is not my type of genre.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
I don't believe it's possible! I'm not going to do this....because *Ducks!!!*...Harry Potter is not my type of genre.
Fine for me, who says you have to like something just because like every 2nd person on the planet thinks it's great? I also have a lot of stuff that I don't like.

Today I watched the last Lizzie McGuire episode, it was sad, why does it have to be over. Tomorrow I'll watch the real finale again and the movie. And I finally can start with Breaking Bad.

I watched Everwood S03E09, the one with Amy and Ephram having sex in the cabin. It had some funny moments, like Harold's face when Amy and Hannah were telling him that they were spending the night at Hannah's and he couldn't believe it and knew there was something funny going on, that cracked me up. Also the beginning with Amy and Ephram in the car sitting and us hearing their thoughts about if they should kiss or what to do now, they both were checking out what the other was thinking, "we're never gonna have sex." It was not my favourite episode of the 3rd season, the Ephramy part was good, but the rest was only Armandy with the boring playdate for their kids and Nina had to call Jake for help for Sam, that were not good subplots.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Dedicated Fan

On the dreadful chick flick front, I agree with you Matt that Confessions of A Shopaholic was rubbish! I like the books a lot more as Becky is adorable, a good friend & quite funny. The Ugly Truth, The Bounty Hunter & some others that were so bad I've blanked them from my mind were dreadful too! So I do have some standards when it comes to girly movies.

I suppose I'm lucky that I get to see most movies in their original language, with French subtitles, and there are cards you can get which give you 5 cinema seats over two months at a reduced rate & there are cheap first showings too, and I also have no problem going to the cinema alone, in fact I quite enjoy it. Do you not like going to the movies by yourself, Matt? A lot of people think I'm weird for doing so, so I understand if you feel that way too.

I've watched all the Harry Potter movies and found them all lacking compared to the source material (which has its moments of not being so great) which I've read. I do think it's an excellent series to get children interested in reading though, which is something I feel very strongly about!

In regards to Glee, I hated the first two episodes of Season 1, liked small moments of the 3rd episode but then I watched episode 4 and fell head-over-heels for it. It's not perfect by a long shot, but I like a lot of the music & am very attached to some of the characters.

I don't have to work on Wednesday (bar babysitting in the evening) which is new film release day, so I'll have to check out what's on then tomorrow night. There's lots of stuff coming out that I want to see, so here's hoping the cinema I usually go to will be showing them.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Obsessed Fan

Shameless: Season 1, Episode 7

Another strong episode, the Gallaghers, what a crazy family. Today, Frank had to run away from those money sharks, he chose to fake his own death, and the whole family helped him, though 3 kids raised there hand when he asked them if they would like to see him dead. There were so many funny moments, Frank alone had a lot, like when he bought credits cards on the names of his children, and in the last scene he got a new one on the name Liam Gallagher, who is like 3 years young. It was AWESOME how the episode started, by Fiona saying „Jesus, I’m raising 5 kids and I didn’t miss last week. What’s your excuse?” Or how Frank tried to rob a blind guy or an old lady at the ATM. The party after they shook up those money sharks was great, everybody was happy that Frank could live. I liked how Fiona had a nice romantic evening with Steven in a hotel, how Lip and Ian stole a truck full of meat, how Sheila took care of Liam, who ran out of the house, but she brought him back, that was sweet. And I liked the Kash storyline, not only did Ian sleep with this bully Mickie (that was one thing I didn't really like, an unnecessary twist IMO), Kash's wife found out about what they did, but instead of killing him she realized that she would be alone and have no chance with 2 kids, so she wants a baby now and he can keep his affair with Ian. It was a really good episode, can't wait to see the rest, it's a refreshing honest show, it doesn't feel to scripted, there are no clear boundaries, the show does their thing and for a drama or family show it makes me laugh like a couple of times more often than the usual drama does.

Quote:
On the dreadful chick flick front, I agree with you Matt that Confessions of A Shopaholic was rubbish! I like the books a lot more as Becky is adorable, a good friend & quite funny. The Ugly Truth, The Bounty Hunter & some others that were so bad I've blanked them from my mind were dreadful too! So I do have some standards when it comes to girly movies.
Thanks! I understand if you like this or that RomCom / chick flick, but this one was just stupid, if a movie is about finding the prince charming, it's okay if you like it, but a movie about shopping addiction? What the hell? Haven't seen those two. I found two movies in the living room, Sweet Home Alabama (I remember it was quite nice to watch) and Raising Helen, I'll check one out of those now. I kinda like both Reese Witherspoon and Kate Hudson, so a must-have for a chick is that I like one of the two main characters and have no negative feelings towards one of those two actors.

Quote:
Do you not like going to the movies by yourself, Matt? A lot of people think I'm weird for doing so, so I understand if you feel that way too.
No, don't really like that. I'm a lazy person, I don't need cinema, and most movies I watch are fine on my tv at home - and I can watch them in English. Maybe I'll try it, but since I could get the dvds from the UK very soon (sometimes even before the theatre release), I think it's too much effort.

Quote:
I've watched all the Harry Potter movies and found them all lacking compared to the source material (which has its moments of not being so great) which I've read. I do think it's an excellent series to get children interested in reading though, which is something I feel very strongly about!
Yes, that's the good thing. Of course the books are better, but I could enjoy the movies, they were not great, but most of them were good.

Quote:
In regards to Glee, I hated the first two episodes of Season 1, liked small moments of the 3rd episode but then I watched episode 4 and fell head-over-heels for it. It's not perfect by a long shot, but I like a lot of the music & am very attached to some of the characters.
I'm not into that whole exaggerated high school theme, I didn't even find Sue Sylvester funny, it was an interesting character, but that was it. Not for me.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Dedicated Fan

I love Raising Helen, as it's cute & funny. Joan Cusack is in it, as is the delectable John Corbett. Joan Cusack plays Helen's (Kate Hudson's character) sensible older sister & their relationship is very touching. I prefer Goldie Hawn to Kate Hudson, but Hudson's good in this.

Reese Witherspoon I like & I don't think Sweet Home Alabama is too bad, though I was disappointed with the ending. But I love Reese, she just lights up the screen.

Matt, I get why you don't like going to the cinema on your own, but I love it as it's a means of escaping the noise & chaos I encounter during my job in childcare. Cinema= peace & quiet & a way of escaping my boring life!

I've been reading your movie reviews on IMDB & I must say I agree with most of them! What did you think of October Sky? It's one of my favourites, even though it does veer into cliché territory towards the end (when everyone in the town can see the last rocket that Homer's launched). I love how it's what Homer doesn't say that's really important, and I think a lesser writer would have added in the unspoken bits rather than have the audience figure it out for themselves.

Fair enough, Glee isn't your thing, I get that. The main reason I watch is for Kurt, the gay guy & his adorable relationship with his father who's a very blue-collar guy with very typical male interests who was a single father for about 10 years until early Season 2. There's not a lot of the father-son stuff, but what there is is lovely!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
I love Raising Helen, as it's cute & funny. Joan Cusack is in it, as is the delectable John Corbett. Joan Cusack plays Helen's (Kate Hudson's character) sensible older sister & their relationship is very touching. I prefer Goldie Hawn to Kate Hudson, but Hudson's good in this.
Watched it and ... not so good. Can't agree, hope you can forgive me. 4/10 I'll write something soon.

Quote:
Reese Witherspoon I like & I don't think Sweet Home Alabama is too bad, though I was disappointed with the ending. But I love Reese, she just lights up the screen.
You're right about Reese, I think if she has good material to play with she can shine, like Walk The Line, wah, I hate searching for movie titles cos we have idiotic German translations It's Just Like Heaven (beautiful The Cure song too!) which surprised me, and she did a good job on both Legally blonde, though those were not the best movies, at least part 1 was a solide comedy. Not seen so much, but I can say that I like to see her on screen, and I prefer her over other actresses, like with Shopaholic or with Raising Helen, I'd take Reese as the lead role without hesitating. Looking forward to SHA, from what I remember it was fun to watch.

Quote:
Matt, I get why you don't like going to the cinema on your own, but I love it as it's a means of escaping the noise & chaos I encounter during my job in childcare. Cinema= peace & quiet & a way of escaping my boring life!
And I get why you got the cinema alone, that's a nice reason why. I escape my boring life by watching tv shows all day, and I can do that at home, so why waste time and money going to the cinema, waiting for the movie, going back home? Just kidding, PLEASE don't take that too serious, just telling you that what is best for you doesn't necessarily has to be the best for me. But it's a nice thing, maybe I'll try it someday.

Quote:
I've been reading your movie reviews on IMDB & I must say I agree with most of them! What did you think of October Sky? It's one of my favourites, even though it does veer into cliché territory towards the end (when everyone in the town can see the last rocket that Homer's launched). I love how it's what Homer doesn't say that's really important, and I think a lesser writer would have added in the unspoken bits rather than have the audience figure it out for themselves.
Oh, that's really nice to hear, merci beaucoup pour ca. I really like October Sky, I'm not a fan of Jake Gyllenhaal, but with his first two movies (October Sky and my all-time-favourite Donnie Darko) he did a great job. It's really sad that not many people know October Sky, I watched it on tv some years ago and that's why I got it on dvd, it's really sweet, great atmosphere, nice locations and a sweet story with a talented cast. It has been some time since I watched it, but it's really nice, the music too, it plays like in the 50s or so, that makes it really special, if it was just a movie of today, it would've been not as good.

Quote:
Fair enough, Glee isn't your thing, I get that. The main reason I watch is for Kurt, the gay guy & his adorable relationship with his father who's a very blue-collar guy with very typical male interests who was a single father for about 10 years until early Season 2. There's not a lot of the father-son stuff, but what there is is lovely!
I honestly like to check things out, I of course have a lot of stuff where I say "no" without trying, but sometimes I think what the heck, why not give it a try. I know what I probably like and what not, I can say I tried.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm glad you're enjoying Shameless, Matt. That was a good episode. The life of this family is so tragic....but this episode had some hilarious moments....the lengths they go to survive is unbelievable!

Louisa, I really liked Raising Helen, and Sweet Home Alabama.
Like you, I go to movies to escape and I need to laugh.

Quote:
You're right about Reese, I think if she has good material to play with she can shine,
I even liked her in Legally Blond. Talk about Cheese!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread