Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Master Fan

A Christmas Story

Heh, I'll definitely try to watch A Christmas Story. I'm not big on Christmas movies as a rule, which is probably how I've managed to not watch this classic. We do get TBS, so I'm sure I'll be able to find an hour or two during the 24 hour marathon.

Buddy Holly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief
No "That'll Be the Day"? That's the only Buddy Holly song I know well in its original version (am more familiar with other artists' covers of some of the others), and one I happen to quite like.
Just missed one of the obvious ones, hee. What are some of the cover versions that you like? I can only think of a Beatles version of "Words of Love" at the moment, but..well, it's my memory, so that's probably why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
'Tos and Barry, when did you guys start listening to his music? Any story to how this all took place like how my dad introduced me?
I only really started a few weeks ago. I had "Words of Love" but not the rest. I don't know why I took so long, because both of my parents are fans, and because The Beatles were influenced by him and they're my fave and all. So, yeah, I'm not sure why I waited, because he's amazing. My parents were watching a movie about him a bit before I decided to try him out, and it had a few good songs when I was watching, so I guess that's why, but it's not quite as interesting as the way you were introduced to him, hee. I'm sure Barry's story is a heck of a lot better too!

Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoted by Michelle
Ross: All right, the score is nine to eight in favor of the guys. Ladies if you miss this the game is theirs, pick your category.

Rachel: (shouting) It’s All Relative!!

Ross: You don’t have to shout everything.

Rachel: (shouting) I’m sorry!

Ross: Ooh. What is the name of Chandler’s father’s Las Vegas all-male burlesque?

Monica: Viva Las Gaygas!

Chandler: Unfortunately that is correct.

The Girls: Yes!!
Hee, Rachel is great in this ep too, isn't she? I love excitable Rachel.

Quote:
I also love in season 2 whenever Joey moves out and Chandler gets that insane roommate, Eddie. I love how that storyline totally played out, hee. It showed the true deep feelings of friendship between Joey/Chandler mixed in with the insanity that was Eddie. LOL. I love how he had the actual goldfish cracker in the fish bowl
Oh, crazy Eddie. Heh. That was a good little arc too. As much as I liked Monica/Chandler together, I did miss Joey and Chandler teaming up more often or fighting and getting back together. There was just less of them, and that sucked, because that was my duo!

Curb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
As for Curb, I just started to see it this year because of the Seinfeld reunion. They completely re-created the apartment and diner just as it was on the same soundstage. Not only was the whole thing just surreal, but the 4 actors haven't changed much. I mean, slap the glasses on Jason Alexander and not a year has gone by. They were all Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer again. They hopped back and fourth from an actual Seinfeld episode to the set where they were filming, but the whole thing was just unreal. Lol. And yeah, Larry and Jason had a disagreement and Jason left, so Larry said he would be George since George was based on him and all that. It didn't go so well. Lol.
I thought Michael Richards looked noticeably older, but that was mostly the hair, heh. They teamed up so nicely again, agreed. And, yeah, seeing the set again was really cool! I just wish we got to see more of it, more episodes, but I guess the show isn't really about them. Unfortunately. The actual show is really funny, but it's SO obscene. Like..it is just a messed up show, heh. The most awful and surreal things happen to Larry or (usually) are done by him. Sometimes I'm almost blushing watching all by myself with some of the things going on, heh.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 11-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Master Fan

Buddy Holly

Quote:
Just missed one of the obvious ones, hee. What are some of the cover versions that you like? I can only think of a Beatles version of "Words of Love" at the moment, but..well, it's my memory, so that's probably why.
What does it say about me that one of the ones I know is James Taylor's cover of "Everyday"? Um, besides that, I know "Rave On" via M. Ward, and...yeah, that's all that's coming to mind. Well, and I've heard the originals of some of the biggies like "Peggy Sue," but never really paid much attention. I really haven't spent much time with pre-'60s rock/pop, to be honest, aside from the obvious things you hear on oldies stations and in the general media. Whenever I go older, which is most of the time, I always just gravitate to the British Invasion - '60s-'70s R&B/soul - some '70s things that I should probably scorn but I refuse to be ironic so instead I embrace what I love yes I said I LOVE IT [/random Frasier quote] - post-punk/early New Wave.

Wow, all that rambling and I haven't even had my frappuccino yet.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, I don't typically go past pre-60's either unless it's Ray Charles, Art Tatum, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Chuck Berry or, now, Buddy Holly. Actually, those are some great artists, maybe I should be going pre-60's more.

Quote:
Wow, all that rambling and I haven't even had my frappuccino yet.
Do you have one everyday? I did not know that, heh.

House

Betty, did you watch tonight's episode? I decided to watch it after I saw that it was a Wilson-heavy ep, and Wilson rocks. Good episode with a ton of House/Wilson moments. I especially loved House telling Wilson that if he died, he'd be alone. Aw. And then House staying by Wilson's side after he was recovering was great too. I was hoping for a fist bump, but alas.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 11-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Master Fan

Music

I do go pre-'60s as far as jazz (and, well, classical, heh) is concerned. Art Tatum, Billie Holiday, Thelonious Monk, early Miles Davis (later, too, but if we're talking pre-'60s)...lots of good. I like the Dave Brubeck Quartet's Time Out, too, but apparently that's not especially esteemed in the serious jazz circles, but, whatever.

Quote:
Do you have one everyday? I did not know that, heh.
I do not, but I was about to have one, hence the "haven't had [it] yet" remark, heh.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
House

Betty, did you watch tonight's episode? I decided to watch it after I saw that it was a Wilson-heavy ep, and Wilson rocks. Good episode with a ton of House/Wilson moments. I especially loved House telling Wilson that if he died, he'd be alone. Aw. And then House staying by Wilson's side after he was recovering was great too. I was hoping for a fist bump, but alas.
I watched....but only the second half. The half I saw was beautiful. I love Wilson and I just adore the House/Wilson friendship. Yes, when House said what he said......I felt sorry for Wilson! What's he supposed to do? Give his friend a new liver or not die for his other friend! Precious episode....although Wilson's Liver friend really turned out to be an ass.

I have a question...since I didn't watch the first half...what is that house about? Why did Wilson want to outbid Cutty?

ETA: Alex, I know that you like House. Did you see the episode?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Master Fan

House

I only saw the second half as well, Betty! I only remembered at 9:30 that I was planning to watch it, heh. So, I'm not sure what was up with the house, other than it looked really nice. I'm going to try and watch the first half tonight, because I hear you see a lot of scenes from Wilson's point of view and see how crazy House's antics and his team are, which would be neat.

Quote:
I do not, but I was about to have one, hence the "haven't had [it] yet" remark, heh.
Hee, I somehow read it as you have one everyday. I don't know how my brain works, but that's probably good news that you don't have one everyday.

ETA: Are you still watching the new season of Psych, by the way? And is it good? After I've caught up with The Office, I need to catch up with that too.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
House

I only saw the second half as well, Betty! I only remembered at 9:30 that I was planning to watch it, heh. So, I'm not sure what was up with the house, other than it looked really nice. I'm going to try and watch the first half tonight, because I hear you see a lot of scenes from Wilson's point of view and see how crazy House's antics and his team are, which would be neat.
Oh yes, I'd love to see that. Do they repeat the episode tonight? or are you watching online?
Old 12-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Oh yes, I'd love to see that. Do they repeat the episode tonight? or are you watching online?
I was planning to watch online. I don't think they repeat it, unless they do on Fridays? I don't know. You might be able to watch on FOX.com if you want an easy way to watch it.

Has the season been good so far? I know that it started off really really well with House in the mental hospital, but has it stayed that good?
Old 12-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
ETA: Are you still watching the new season of Psych, by the way? And is it good? After I've caught up with The Office, I need to catch up with that too.
Actually, the mid-season finale was some time in October, I believe (which I still haven't watched, mainly because I got sidetracked by other shows), and the second half of the season won't air until next year...I'm thinking possibly March? On account of USA being part of the NBC/Universal family and running several of the Olympic events.

But I may be yammering myself, here, so I should probably look that up.

Anyhoo, the season unfortunately started to decline a bit after a string of pretty solid episodes. Hoping it picks back up when it returns.

Quote:
Hee, I somehow read it as you have one everyday. I don't know how my brain works, but that's probably good news that you don't have one everyday.
Heh, it's probably because I phrased it the way someone would a reference to their usual morning coffee, or afternoon tea, or dinnertime glass of wine. And yes, I'd likely be a bigger and more hyperactive person if I made a daily habit of it, hee.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I was planning to watch online. I don't think they repeat it, unless they do on Fridays? I don't know. You might be able to watch on FOX.com if you want an easy way to watch it.

Has the season been good so far? I know that it started off really really well with House in the mental hospital, but has it stayed that good?
I have to honestly say that I haven't been watching it faithfully. Working, running a household, and posting on this board doesn't leave me as much time to watch TV. So, every now and then I'll put one of my shows on...and it's usually the second half!
The few episodes of House that I have seen have been good. I'm wondering what is happening with Chase and Cameron.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Elite Fan

I saw just a little while ago that the police had shot and killed the guy who executed those 4 cops in Washington.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow (View Post)
I saw just a little while ago that the police had shot and killed the guy who executed those 4 cops in Washington.
I saw that too. And they're arresting everyone that helped him, family and friends, who gave him money, a ride, first aid and everything else while he was on the run after such a horrible act.

Psych

Quote:
Anyhoo, the season unfortunately started to decline a bit after a string of pretty solid episodes. Hoping it picks back up when it returns.
Aw. But Gus is still awesome, hopefully? Well, it would take a really bad decline to make Gus not awesome, so hopefully that hasn't happened.

House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
I have to honestly say that I haven't been watching it faithfully. Working, running a household, and posting on this board doesn't leave me as much time to watch TV. So, every now and then I'll put one of my shows on...and it's usually the second half!
The few episodes of House that I have seen have been good. I'm wondering what is happening with Chase and Cameron.
Aw, busy Betty. How long of a break for the holidays? Hopefully you'll get to be less busy then!
Old 12-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

A Christmas Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos
Heh, I'll definitely try to watch A Christmas Story. I'm not big on Christmas movies as a rule, which is probably how I've managed to not watch this classic. We do get TBS, so I'm sure I'll be able to find an hour or two during the 24 hour marathon.
What's great about this movie is it's not cheesy at all... it shows a very typical, flawed Midwestern family around the Christmas holidays. It's very witty. The main character in the film is the little boy named Ralphie who has a strong desire to get a Red Ryder BB Gun for Christmas. The members of his family are absolutely hilarious because of the realness portrayed within each character. Ralphie's little brother refuses to eat food, like, ever, hee, and the father is very eccentric, the mother is in her own world at times. It's really good stuff. The scene where the boy at school gets his tongue stuck on the pole cracks me up each and every time I see it. LOL.

You should give it a try!

Another movie around the holidays I love is The Polar Express. I've watched it with my little niece the last two years and just the other day she said to me, "Aunt Michelle, it's Polar Express time." Hee, it was so cute. She has always loved trains so this movie coming to life with the train circling around the entire story was something she enjoyed a lot.

Buddy Holly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos
I only really started a few weeks ago. I had "Words of Love" but not the rest. I don't know why I took so long, because both of my parents are fans, and because The Beatles were influenced by him and they're my fave and all. So, yeah, I'm not sure why I waited, because he's amazing. My parents were watching a movie about him a bit before I decided to try him out, and it had a few good songs when I was watching, so I guess that's why, but it's not quite as interesting as the way you were introduced to him, hee. I'm sure Barry's story is a heck of a lot better too!
LOL. I like your story! That's so true about the Beatles being influenced by him. That says something very largely significant about Buddy's Holly's place in music. To me, it's not so much about Buddy's voice... it's ALL about the music. The music is something else.

Friends

'Tos, since you like Joey/Chandler so much I was wondering what are some of your favorite episodes featuring Joey/Chandler? Everyone else also jump in, too, with your favorites!
Old 12-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
A Christmas Story

What's great about this movie is it's not cheesy at all... it shows a very typical, flawed Midwestern family around the Christmas holidays. It's very witty. The main character in the film is the little boy named Ralphie who has a strong desire to get a Red Ryder BB Gun for Christmas. The members of his family are absolutely hilarious because of the realness portrayed within each character. Ralphie's little brother refuses to eat food, like, ever, hee, and the father is very eccentric, the mother is in her own world at times. It's really good stuff. The scene where the boy at school gets his tongue stuck on the pole cracks me up each and every time I see it. LOL.

You should give it a try!

Another movie around the holidays I love is The Polar Express. I've watched it with my little niece the last two years and just the other day she said to me, "Aunt Michelle, it's Polar Express time." Hee, it was so cute. She has always loved trains so this movie coming to life with the train circling around the entire story was something she enjoyed a lot.

Buddy Holly

LOL. I like your story! That's so true about the Beatles being influenced by him. That says something very largely significant about Buddy's Holly's place in music. To me, it's not so much about Buddy's voice... it's ALL about the music. The music is something else.

Friends

'Tos, since you like Joey/Chandler so much I was wondering what are some of your favorite episodes featuring Joey/Chandler? Everyone else also jump in, too, with your favorites!
A Christmas Story

You hit the nail on the head, Michelle. Not cheesy at all. It's real, genuine, and warm. Such a great movie. Darren McGavin, who plays the father in the movie, is from here. The Polar Express is a pretty good movie too, but I think I like the book better. Lol. A great looking book and movie.

Buddy Holly

I wish I had a great story of how I discovered Buddy, but it was really simple. First of all, I grew up listening to a lot of the oldies and classic rock of the 50s and 60s, which was my dad's music. I thank god that I got that musical education since I was a tot. Lol. I knew of the obvious Buddy Holly songs, but that was just it. Whatever I heard on the radio. My dad eventually got a tape over the years that has a number of songs on it, and he just played it in the car a lot.

4 Officers Killed In Washington

I knew this guy was not going to come in alive. He killed 4 cops. He was dead already. I figured he would either kill himself, or the cops would in a shootout or something. I am not surprised he didn't make it. Glad they caught him and something happened. Part of me is glad he's dead, and part of me wanted him captured alive so he could experience the real punishment. Oh well. Just glad he's over.

I just saw the news and they say that the killer was telling family over Thanksgiving that he was going to kill people. Cops, and was even going to target kids!!. Sicko!.

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/

Last edited by Barrybgb; 12-02-2009 at 06:30 PM
Old 12-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

A Christmas Story

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head, Michelle. Not cheesy or overly sentimental at all. Well, it might be sentimental if you were someone who grew up in the era the movie takes place in, but otherwise it's real, genuine, and warm. Such a great movie.
Exactly. That's a great point, Barry, about it being sentimental for those who grew up in that era. You are totally right on. For those who didn't, it's truly about a real, warm story centering around a Midwestern family and little quirky situations that take place as a result. The little boy at the time, Peter Billingsley, who played Ralphie was fantastic, wasn't he? Such a great actor!

Here's the scene with the tongue, hee:

Quote:
The Polar Express is a pretty good movie too, but I think I like the book better. Lol. A great looking book and movie.
I have never read the book. My niece has a picture book based on the movie but I never picked up the book. I will absolutely do that someday because just thinking about this story in a novel already has me convinced it's a good one!

Buddy Holly

Quote:
I wish I had a great story of how I discovered Buddy, but it was really simple. First of all, I grew up listening to a lot of the oldies and classic rock of the 50s and 60s, which was my dad's music. I thank god that I got that musical education since I was a tot. Lol. I knew of the obvious Buddy Holly songs, but that was just it. Whatever I heard on the radio. My dad eventually got a tape over the years that has a number of songs on it, and he just played it in the car a lot.
Awe, are you kidding me? That's a fantastic, feel-good story. That's great! My dad feels all proud that I am listening to his "guy" from his era, hee. I can tell his eyes light up whenever he will get into the passengers seat of my car as he hears Buddy Holly shouting out his words and the music is beautifuly playing. It's cute. LOL.

4 Officers Killed In Washington

Wow, I see your feelings on this completely, Barry. Thank God he is held accountable, even in the manner that it went down. Justice was served although the horror of these crimes will be everlasting, unfortunately.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread