Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 09:15 AM
buffyannAlex

Friday Night Lights
I'm so glad the show's back, it's a fabulous show. This season could be all kinds of greatness, I think, it has the potential to do that, with the outsider east dillon team and coach taylor's efforts to help them win games. Not to mention all the drama between the 2 schools. This show is still all kinds of fantastic and though I agree with Alan, the first season was the best, this still is pretty pretty great television !

Flash Forward
Well, Dominic Monaghan's part is certainely the most interesting one and it was the only part of the episode I enjoyed. I think the show is trying to raise the good questions but it's not adressing them as well as I'd hope... it might bore me in time, like soon. But this week was interesting.

Dexter
Well, it is starting to get better, this season, I really liked this episode. I never thought of Jennifer Carpenter as a fabulous actress but she totlly got me in her breaking down scene, wow. This is really ironic how she thinks of herself as damaged and think of Dexter as perfect. The Dexter/Rita stuff are quite boring but I guess they have to find stuff to adress in that area.
It was not surprising Dexter didn't get Trinity so early in the season, but I didn't expect the family thing with trinity. I'm curious where they're going with this.

The Office
I'm a bit disappointed in the show. As much as I love Jim and Pam, they are not enough. The show is starting to look like caricature to me. It doesn't help tht I have just watched the office UK last week and it connected with me in a way the US version can't. not sure how much culture and me being european plays a part here (though ricky gervais plays a big part in this too). I'd like to see other people's opinion who have seen both version if there's any ?.

Last edited by buffyannAlex; 11-01-2009 at 10:28 AM

Old 11-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffyannAlex (View Post)
Dexter
Well, it is starting to get better, this season, I really liked this episode. I never thought of Jennifer Carpenter as a fabulous actress but she totlly got me in her breaking down scene, wow. This is really ironic how she thinks of herself as damaged and think of Dexter as perfect. The Dexter/Rita stuff are quite boring but I guess they have to find stuff to adress in that area.
It was not surprising Dexter didn't get Trinity so early in the season, but I didn't expect the family thing with trinity. I'm curious where they're going with this.
I agree, Alex...this was a wonderful..very suspenseful episode. Jennifer's acting was super...you really felt her grief. Rita....I don't really like. I know I'm being petty..but I just don't care for the way she speaks. She doesn't emote. She whispers. I find this so annoying.
I just love the way Dexter thinks aloud....his thoughts are hilarious.
Yes, the ending with Trinity going home was a real surprise. Tonight's episode should be really interesting.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I know I'm being petty..but I just don't care for the way she speaks. She doesn't emote. She whispers. I find this so annoying.
You are my twin with this! Ask Alex how I feel about what you just said regarding her horribly annoying voice! Ahhhh like fingers DOWN the freaken chalkboard!
Old 11-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
You are my twin with this! Ask Alex how I feel about what you just said regarding her horribly annoying voice! Ahhhh like fingers DOWN the freaken chalkboard!
I'll bet a lot of people feel the same way!

Quote:
Betty, since Michelle & Alex are all emotionally flirty as friends as everyone knows, heh, it is used a lot, especially when they say goodnight although Alex says Bisous in French which is an affectionate goodbye while Mitch responds, using, <3 and why I'm I explaining this? Oh yes, because Michelle's babbling has rubbed off on me. LOL.

<3 =

Turn the symbol to the left to twelve o'clock if that makes sense and it will turn into a heart.... the < part will turn to V and the 3 will turn to the top part of a heart. I explained that poorly so I hope you get what I mean?

Cleveland
, I missed this answer completely!! Thanks do much for the explanation. I really felt dumb.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I'll bet a lot of people feel the same way!
Isn't it absolutely horrible? I cannot get over it! She is an attractive woman but her voice is so fricken distracting it's all I focus on! It's terrible to say but it's pure truth!
Old 11-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:

Cleveland
, I missed this answer completely!! Thanks do much for the explanation. I really felt dumb.
Awe it's okay! If I remember correctly the thread was hopping and I bet you just missed it as a result. I'm glad you finally read it, though.

I am with you guys on the woman's voice... horrible! Michelle is very animated whenever she is bothered by it which is completely hilarious.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFEUC (View Post)

I am with you guys on the woman's voice... horrible! Michelle is very animated whenever she is bothered by it which is completely hilarious.
I probably have the exact same reaction. I just want to grab Rita and SHAKE her while screaming: "SPEAK UP, WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" She just drives me crazy!

She does have adorable kids, though. And that baby....I just want to eat up!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I probably have the exact same reaction. I just want to grab Rita and SHAKE her while screaming: "SPEAK UP, WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" She just drives me crazy!
LOL! Mitch looks so adorable because a telltale sign this girl is upset is whenever she starts putting her hands over her face/eyes AND if she has a hockey or other sports hat on, the hat ends up sinking lower and lower to where her eyes are practically covered. She does this a lot as a frustrated reaction to this woman's voice.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Master Fan

Mad Men

Kind of hard to write about the ep after the forced delay, heh, but...

Very solid episode, although the Kennedy focus didn't really feel all that different from its treatment in other '60s-set pieces, Matthew Weiner. Also, Duck is repulsive, in case we didn't already know. Unplugging the television so he can keep Peggy in the dark long enough to... *shuddershuddershudder*

Betty is not, objectively speaking, wrong to have lost her love for Don, and it is possible that she never loved him at all. That said, her speech to Don? Brutal. I felt for the guy, even knowing all the wrong he's done. I mean, just last week he expressed his fear that she'd never loved him, and now, she confirms it. Ouch. And really? Are you really going to go for this Henry Francis thing? Henry, who decides it's totally awesome to propose marriage to an already-married mother of three young kids whom he barely knows? That's...sensible. Please die soon, storyline. I'd be happy at this point with a Betty/Henry elopement if it meant we never had to see either character again.

Good Pete stuff tonight, finally. And I love that Trudy's in his corner now regarding Sterling-Cooper's lack of appreciation for his work; she wasn't wrong to encourage him to do his best back in the premiere, when the Pete/Ken competition was established, but she's also now realizing -- as the viewers did some time ago -- that Pete's best efforts will never be quite good enough for S-C, and that there might be better opportunities for him elsewhere. Do it, Pete. But please stay on the show. PLEASE. We've already lost Sal completely and seen Joan reduced to very semi-recurring status; I can't bear to lose my favorite little misunderstood, dance-crazy, cartoon-watching weirdo!

I have to say that I'm almost wondering if Pete is even still interested in advertising, though. His disgust with Harry being concerned about losing commercial time almost felt like disgust with the whole field -- is this what it's really about, valuing ads over people? Not that Pete's ever exactly been a people person, heh, but he's also been shown to desire some sort of connection with others, and maybe he's beginning to think that the glossy, superficial advertising world is one of the last places he'll be able to actually find that.

Finally: is it wrong that I was amused that, during the montage of reactions to the assassination news, Margaret was freaking about her wedding not taking place? Oh, and I've never cared all that much about Mona before, but she was pretty awesome tonight. How did someone that classy marry Roger in the first place? Heh.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Master Fan

Mad Men

Agreed that it was a very solid episode. Things continued to actually happen. Matthew Weiner has waited so long to actually make things happen that I can't consider the season to be all that good, but these last two episodes are more like what I expect when I watch this show. A few episodes is not enough, but...well, I'll take it because those episodes have been very strong.

First of all, it was really great to have a good ten minutes without Don and Betty. I was disappointed when both showed up after that nice break from them, which says a lot about how that storyline has dominated this season. It was just nice to see Peggy, Pete and Roger getting some actual substantive scenes that lasted more than thirty seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief
Also, Duck is repulsive, in case we didn't already know. Unplugging the television so he can keep Peggy in the dark long enough to... *shuddershuddershudder*
Yeah, I wanted to start feeling something when they started the whole JFK thing on TV, but it all started with Duck and Peggy, so instead of "aw", all I could feel was "ew"!

Quote:
Good Pete stuff tonight, finally. And I love that Trudy's in his corner now regarding Sterling-Cooper's lack of appreciation for his work; she wasn't wrong to encourage him to do his best back in the premiere, when the Pete/Ken competition was established, but she's also now realizing -- as the viewers did some time ago -- that Pete's best efforts will never be quite good enough for S-C, and that there might be better opportunities for him elsewhere. Do it, Pete. But please stay on the show. PLEASE. We've already lost Sal completely and seen Joan reduced to very semi-recurring status; I can't bear to lose my favorite little misunderstood, dance-crazy, cartoon-watching weirdo!

I have to say that I'm almost wondering if Pete is even still interested in advertising, though. His disgust with Harry being concerned about losing commercial time almost felt like disgust with the whole field -- is this what it's really about, valuing ads over people? Not that Pete's ever exactly been a people person, heh, but he's also been shown to desire some sort of connection with others, and maybe he's beginning to think that the glossy, superficial advertising world is one of the last places he'll be able to actually find that.
Good thoughts. I was also really happy to see Trudy have his back. About the wedding, and then about how Sterling-Cooper has treated him. It's hard for me to look so poorly at Sterling-Cooper because I love Bert and Roger is hilarious and Don is usually interesting--not to mention that it's the Brits that are really at blame for Pete's current situation--but Pete deserves better. And it would be interesting to see what Pete would try to do if not advertising, because at the moment, I get the sense that advertising is all that he knows, and advertising is all that he thinks he can do.

While it's totally cliche, I loved the use of Skeeter Davis at the end. I love that song. I found myself humming along with it, heh.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 11-02-2009, 12:23 AM
Master Fan

Mad Men

Quote:
And it would be interesting to see what Pete would try to do if not advertising, because at the moment, I get the sense that advertising is all that he knows, and advertising is all that he thinks he can do.
That's the thing -- he's always seemed ill at ease in that world, and yet he has great instincts for advertising, and yet, that same world (well, S-C, at least) often rejects him, and yet...what else would he do with that great foresight?

See, show, this is the kind of thing we want to see! Not Don & Betty & Miss Ferrell & Henry!

And I've totally been singing "The End of the World" to myself since the episode, hee.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Master Fan

Mad Men

Quote:
That's the thing -- he's always seemed ill at ease in that world, and yet he has great instincts for advertising, and yet, that same world (well, S-C, at least) often rejects him, and yet...what else would he do with that great foresight?
And it better not just be going to work with Duck and ignoring all of these issues. Although I can kind of see that happening, hee. It would just be like Mad Men lately to bring up some interesting questions late in the season, and then ignore them once the next season starts.

The best thing about this episode, as you alluded to, is how it was balanced. The amount of Don and Betty was perfect and well-used, and it had other interesting characters. What a radical idea!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 11-02-2009, 07:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
Here I thought of you the entire time while watching those games and you had no idea they were taking place in your country.
I must have stayed away from the news

Quote:
Which is why FINNS ROCK! Lol.
Thank you

Quote:
Interesting. Yes, I definitely have no clue but you can spoil me, I don't care, so if you want to share, by all means, do so.
Ok then. Lost spoilers ahead for those who haven't seen the S5 finale of Lost:

To put it simply; Juliet dies. It's not confirmed but it looked pretty final and Elizabeth has a new show (V) coming up.

Quote:
What kind of problems did you see in season 2, Laura? Yes, I honestly think for me season 1 is as close to something "Everwood-like" as I have ever encountered. It has such high quality like our Everwood. It's exceptional.

What does everyone who watches FNL think of the show while comparing it to Everwood?
I have to agree with people when they mention the murder storyline. I wasn't a fan of it. It also resulted in Tyra/Laundry romance which I wasn't a fan of. Also as a Matt/Julie fan, S2 was just painful to watch.

I see similarities between FNL and Everwood. They both have that small town feel to them. They're both well-written and acted shows. And Matt/Julie kind of remind me of Ephram/Amy.

Laura|
Old 11-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy (View Post)
I must have stayed away from the news
LOL! The Finns looked VERY hyped up watching the games. You can tell they know their hockey and it reminded me of watching Minnesotans, who are all about adoring the game of hockey, who respect and have this passionate knowledge for the game. I loved watching this and I am so glad Finland got the NHL in their backyard this season! Like I said a couple of Finns were on both teams, too, and they interviewed them as they said it was a dream playing in their country. It was so great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura
Thank you
I miss our cultural exchanges! We have to get back to that!

Quote:
Ok then. Lost spoilers ahead for those who haven't seen the S5 finale of Lost:

To put it simply; Juliet dies. It's not confirmed but it looked pretty final and Elizabeth has a new show (V) coming up.
Wow! Awe, I liked her character. That sucks! So they literally went with Sawyer/Juliet romantically and then she dies? What happened to whatever was happening between Jack/Juliet? I can't believe she died.

Quote:
I have to agree with people when they mention the murder storyline. I wasn't a fan of it. It also resulted in Tyra/Laundry romance which I wasn't a fan of. Also as a Matt/Julie fan, S2 was just painful to watch.

I see similarities between FNL and Everwood. They both have that small town feel to them. They're both well-written and acted shows. And Matt/Julie kind of remind me of Ephram/Amy.
Cool! From what little I know of Matt/Julie I like them too. I wonder why they went a little crazy in season 2? At least they got back on track in season 3!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

'Tos, have you been watching shows other than Mad Men these days? Have you been watching Dexter?
Last night Dexter was really good...I don't want to give things away because many posters are catching up. The plot is definitely thickening.
Alex, are you able to watch Dexter as it airs or do you have to wait?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread