Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Master Fan

Mad Men

*keeps eyes shut throughout Thief's post. *

I've got it on tape. Just please tell me that there isn't any Duck and Peggy? Or any Duck at all even? Heh.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 10-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Master Fan

No Duck, no Duck and Peggy, and, believe it or not, no Peggy whatsoever. I think it's the first time she's ever not been in an episode at all.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Master Fan

Wow, no Peggy? Huh. That's like having an episode without Don!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 10-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Elite Fan

The Vampire Diaries

Quote:
You have to know I haven't read the books
Well, I've read the first two books, and the series hasn't followed what happened in them much at all, so I don't think they'd provide a lot of insight into the ending.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Loyal Fan

I'd be shocked if Don and Betty don't go the route of divorce.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Master Fan

Mad Men

Good episode. I was really pleased to see Joan back. Especially a Pete/Joan scene, AND them having a semi-amicable conversation! Hurray! Pete asking "And how are you?" twice in the matter of a minute is totally something I do when I get lost for things to say. Totallllllly done that. A lot of times, hee. And I know that Pete gets criticized for being fake at times, but that "Nice to see you again" to Joan? That really felt genuine to me. And it was sweet.

I love Connie. "By golly, you are an indecently lucky man." Hee. I got a kick out of that for some reason. I think it's just the actor's delivery with everything he says. I've never seen him before (as far as I know anyway), but he's very good.

I liked Betty for most of the episode. The dance was, indeed, adorable. And everything with her and Don in Rome was excellent and actually kind of sweet. I honestly did not understand her little outburst at the end. Don looked as confused as I was. It was really nice seeing them getting along and then...I guess it was something Francine said? Or being reminded of the kiss?

"From what I hear, you two must be very tired." Oh, Francine.

Quote:
though he, alcohol, and women really don't mix, do they?
I should say not. Yikes. I really did like him for most of the episode. He seemed less...weasly than usual. More likable. I think it was mostly that scene with him and Joan, actually, that I'm basing that on. And then he went and got drunk. And what is up with Pete and sitting alone in the dark? Turn on a light, man! Heh.

And while it's unrelated to the significance of Pete and Trudy's dinner scene, I absolutely adored that the first thing that Pete told Trudy about after she asked what happened at work was Kinsey's water balloon contraption that they filled with ketchup. Ah, Pete. You're such a boy, heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan
I'd be shocked if Don and Betty don't go the route of divorce.
Ooh! Another Mad Men fan!

I'm not sure what to think about them getting a divorce. At times, it looks like they're on the brink of ending their marriage, and then they have trips to Rome, and it looks like they're making things work. But the overall trend of the series and of this season definitely points towards usually being on that brink.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I liked Betty for most of the episode
How could you not like Betty!?
Seriously, I always think that you guys are talking about me!
Old 10-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Master Fan

Hee! Well, this is one episode in which you should be flattered by that, because Betty was pretty fabulous for most of it.

Quote:
I liked Betty for most of the episode. The dance was, indeed, adorable. And everything with her and Don in Rome was excellent and actually kind of sweet. I honestly did not understand her little outburst at the end. Don looked as confused as I was. It was really nice seeing them getting along and then...I guess it was something Francine said? Or being reminded of the kiss?
I understood it. Betty goes to Rome -- after having a fantastic week in which she actually accomplishes something (at least temporarily) for the community, and not just her tiny world, and attracts male attention -- and has the chance to revisit the woman she used to be, the sophisticated college grad and the model who worked with Italian fashion designers and lived this lovely, free-spirited life, and was thus probably also reminded of her early days with Don. Then she returns home, and is immediately handed a baby and informed that one kid has beaten up another. She's thrust right back into a life she's never been particularly well-suited for -- motherhood -- and while she still seems okay at that point, Francine comes along and reduces the Drapers' fabulous Roman holiday to a lame attempt at a second honeymoon to get away from the kids for awhile (in her eyes, Rome = going to some lake with awful Carlton right after finding out that he was cheating on her, because that will somehow reinvigorate the marriage), before returning to their mundane suburban existence. I think for Betty, this trip was about remembering the woman that she once was, and still could be, but Francine, whose life experiences -- like those of probably every other woman in their neighborhood -- are nothing at all like Betty's, pretty much threw cold water on that by reminding her that she's one of them now: undistinguished wife and mom.

And, bratty an outburst as it seemed, I could sympathize with her hatred for Ossining and for their friends. I get that feeling. Not the Ossining part specifically, heh, but the gist of it. Feeling like you're trapped in a tiny, dull, stifling world.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Master Fan

Thanks, Thief. I'm pretty hit or miss on understanding Betty, hee, but that did make sense. And now I like the episode more, because the logic behind her unhappiness at the end makes the episode fit together really well.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Trick 'r Treat

This movie is out on DVD today and it's a Halloween must!. One of the best reviewed horror movies I have seen in eons. I have never seen such a movie that has Halloween dripping out of every pore. John Carpetner finally has some competition because this movie is definitley an instant, annual cult classic.

It was written and directed by Michael Dougherty(X-Men, Superman Returns), and produced by Bryan Singer. It's throwback to the classic horror anthologies like Tales From The Crypt and Creepshow. There are 4 interwoven tales all taking place on Halloween night in the same little town. I really won't say more than that. Unlike the two I just mentioned, the stories aren't self contained. The movie goes back and forth. It's the Pulp Fiction of horror. Anna Paquin, Dylan Baker, and Brian Cox star.

I really can't say enough about this other than it's a Halloween/horror fan's dream. It's wicked and darkly comic, but it's all in good fun. Not like a lot of horror movies today. Not overly scary or gory. Just a fun roller coaster ride.

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Old 10-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Elite Fan

I was looking at that movie in Wal-Mart yesterday. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow (View Post)
I was looking at that movie in Wal-Mart yesterday. Thanks for the recommendation.
No problem. Hope you enjoy it. I did. It's just fun.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Master Fan

Psych

Doubt Grant would be able to have an informed input (how far are you at the moment? Hee), but maybe Alan and Jacquelyn have thoughts..

So I have some random Psych episodes with me in NZ and I've been showing them to Zoe and her cousins. We saw "Shawn Has The Yips" first last night and then "Lights, Camera... Homicidio." As soon as Zoe wakes up, we'll see "Talk Derby To Me." What order should we do the remaining episodes? Here's what they are in order of how they aired, but obviously we're not going in order right now.

Season 2, Episode 10: "Gus's Dad May Have Killed an Old Guy"
Season 2, Episode 12: "The Old and the Restless"
Season 3, Episode 8: "Gus Walks Into a Bank"
Season 3, Episode 12: "Earth, Wind and... Wait for It"
Season 3, Episode 14: "Truer Lies"
Season 4, Episode 7: "High Top Fade Out"

I'm sure they'll get the DVDs once I've gone on and then they'll watch the episodes properly, hee.
I made my icon.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Parenthood/Lauren Graham

Have you guys heard this?. According to Ausiello's twitter page, Lauren Graham is going to replace Maura Tierney on Parenthood. There were rumors it was going to be Helen Hunt, but apparently those talks fells thru. Looks like it's our Lorelai now!!.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybgb (View Post)
Parenthood/Lauren Graham

Have you guys heard this?. According to Ausiello's twitter page, Lauren Graham is going to replace Maura Tierney on Parenthood. There were rumors it was going to be Helen Hunt, but apparently those talks fells thru. Looks like it's our Lorelai now!!.
I'm not sure that the Lauren Graham casting is official, but I was already going to check out Parenthood, and having Lauren Graham on the show would be a big plus. Especially if she could bring Alexis Bledel in too.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread