Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Added some stuff:

Batwoman 1.1 Pilot

- Kate was just a child when Bruce was already fully fledged Batman. That makes him about 10-15 years older.

- How did Kate not get hypothermia in that super cold place, possibly, Antarctica?

- Bruce having that simple of a password for Wayne security made me laugh.

- There are tons of flashbacks to fill us in on Kate's backstory.

- Alice is a very entertaining villain. I’m a little surprised they got to the Alice is Beth Kane reveal so quickly, that's something you'd figure they'd drag out for a full season.

- The love interest is married!

- I like Luke.

- Of course the Military rules and one of them being sexuality matters. Not to make this political… but this is the very reason why I will always vote a certain way. You'd have to torture me repeatedly to ever vote for a politician/political party who cares about who you like romantically. Disgusting.

- I liked that Mary always seems to draw a laugh out of Kate in their interactions.

- The Dark Tone of the City is firmly established.

Overall it was a decent Pilot. I am intrigued enough to keep watching, especially since it's on the same night as Supergirl.

PS: Loved her Ramones T-shirt she wore throughout most of the episode. I have the same one.

ETA: I think that what held my attention the most was Ruby Rose’s performance. It hit all the right notes for me. I like her. I look forward to her adventures as Batwoman. I think the stories will be there as the season continues. The Pilot had a lot of backstory to cover. But it gave us time to adjust to a Gotham with no Batman. And for me, it worked. I thought Ruby’s performance was nuanced, showing a tough woman who has known love. Not all of the CW shows handle romantic relationships, or the lack of them, very well. This Pilot did a good job of showing Kate as a person who has been in love, but strong enough not to fall apart when a relationship takes a different turn. That’s refreshing. I’m looking forward to the rest of the season.

Oh and I already ship Kate/Sophie.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Supergirl 5.1 - Event Horizon

It was clear for a while now TPTB were waiting for the right time for Lena to find out about Kara being Supergirl. It was all about waiting until they were ready to explore Lena's dark side. They even used her relationship with James and repeatedly getting hurt by those close to her just so the Kara = Supergirl reveal could happen at the correct time with the proper drama and substance. We have arrived.

That said... I am so glad Kara told Lena she is Supergirl. Kara wasn't forced to tell her, she wanted to tell her and told her on her own. Something to remember... Kara wanted to tell Lena last season but Alex stopped her. There were moments Kara has wanted to tell Lena, it is not like this was sudden either. At any rate, the confession felt real and powerful. Melissa Benoist knocked it out of the park and Katie McGrath was great as well. From a psychological perspective, given Lena's history, I understand why she cannot easily get over this reality. Again, we are talking family genes and the hurt in general in different relationships she has endured. Kara is her very best friend. It stings. Yet, the second I heard Kara's confession (which made 100% sense) a normal person (even a very hurt one with painful scars of the past) would forgive. Lena didn't. It's sad and frustrating. Not only will she not forgive or just need time to get over it... but as we see... it sounds like she's just going to adjust her grand plan to ruin Supergirl/Kara. We are talking major darkness collecting inside of Lena which sucks. Of course, I suspect this will eventually end with her seeing the error of her ways, but I suspect a lot of damage will be done before then.

Midnight was an okay villain, but it was a bit entertaining they needed to have the entire team struggle against her.

J'onn has a secret brother who is hellbent on destroying J'onn and I guess being the Last Martian standing? At least he's getting a potentially interesting plot, depending on how they handle it.

James quits and now isn't going to be a reporter anymore. So... what is he going to do?

Can't wait to dodge all of the anvils that will no doubt come out of the whole dying "old-school" news reporting vs. the "hip" loud social media and click-bate war. Especially when the latter mainly consist of a smug new editor and an even smugger British journalist.

Not surprised that Brainy is still a bit off over what happened last season, but I'm optimistic he and Nia will keep moving forward. Still really enjoy this pairing. I didn't think I would because initially I was all about wanting Comic to win and Kara/Brainy would become romantic. I really like Brainy and Nia together. They work beautifully. I also love all the Kara/Brainy interaction (as friends) too. I missed Brainy on my screen!

I also like Alex/Kelly, and I like that Kelly is receiving her own storyline. Plus, I'm with her about Hans Gruber being the best movie villain.

I miss Cat Grant! Lena deliberately allowing that horrible woman to buy CatCo was just wrong.

Hey, Eve!

Lena mentions at the beginning of the episode she is not a villain... that line is significant.

I will end with...

PANTS!!!!!
Old 10-09-2019, 01:24 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
Watching and have to say... I miss Cat Grant.
Same, she's so great
Old 10-09-2019, 06:17 AM
Elite Fan

Comic Book Cover of the Day: Daredevil #11 by Julian Totino Tedesco

Old 10-09-2019, 06:44 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
- How did Kate not get hypothermia in that super cold place, possibly, Antarctica?
That's the first thing I thought.

Quote:
- Bruce having that simple of a password for Wayne security made me laugh.
Guess he's keeping up his empty headed playboy persona.

Quote:
- Alice is a very entertaining villain. I’m a little surprised they got to the Alice is Beth Kane reveal so quickly, that's something you'd figure they'd drag out for a full season.
They might as well have. They were so ham-handed with all the 'they never found Beth's body' stuff that it was like a neon light screaming "she's the bad guy!"

I was hoping they wouldn't go the cliche way, but oh well. I'm just happy to see Rachel Skarsten chewing the scenery and being a cool villain.

Quote:
- The love interest is married!
Guess she climbed all the way back in closet.

Quote:
- Of course the Military rules and one of them being sexuality matters. Not to make this political… but this is the very reason why I will always vote a certain way. You'd have to torture me repeatedly to ever vote for a politician/political party who cares about who you like romantically. Disgusting.
Well, technically that was military school rules, not the full-on military, but back when the flashbacks took place, don't ask don't tell may have still been in effect.

Quote:
Overall it was a decent Pilot. I am intrigued enough to keep watching, especially since it's on the same night as Supergirl.
Yeah. Decent is the right word. It is definitely at the bottom of the DC-verse CW pilots. As for new pilots, I liked it more than Prodigal Son and less than Stumptown.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
Same, she's so great
She is!

I really hope Calista appears in an episode or two this season. Cat would need two minutes to get rid of those idiots attempting to mess up her past company. At the very least, she would cause their smug attitudes to turn into fear and embarrassment. LOL.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

That Daredevil Cover is so amazing!
Old 10-09-2019, 08:51 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow (View Post)
That's the first thing I thought.
Seriously. LOL.

Quote:
Guess he's keeping up his empty headed playboy persona.
LOL, indeed.

Quote:
They might as well have. They were so ham-handed with all the 'they never found Beth's body' stuff that it was like a neon light screaming "she's the bad guy!"

I was hoping they wouldn't go the cliche way, but oh well. I'm just happy to see Rachel Skarsten chewing the scenery and being a cool villain.
She's fabulous! It shouldn't be shocking that I've never seen her in anything else before this role, LOL.

Quote:
Guess she climbed all the way back in closet.
She looked so unhappy, too. Sadly, this happens a lot. People feel like they have to cover up who they are in order to be accepted in other areas of their life.

Quote:
Well, technically that was military school rules, not the full-on military, but back when the flashbacks took place, don't ask don't tell may have still been in effect.

Yeah. Decent is the right word. It is definitely at the bottom of the DC-verse CW pilots. As for new pilots, I liked it more than Prodigal Son and less than Stumptown.
Got it.

Will you continue to watch more Batwoman episodes?
Old 10-09-2019, 09:07 AM
Elite Fan

I liked it well enough to keep watching. It definitely has potential.

On a different note, when Cisco fired up the Flash Gordon theme song last night I thought I was going to die laughing. It was such a perfect way to undercut the tension.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:05 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow (View Post)
I liked it well enough to keep watching. It definitely has potential.
Good!

Quote:
On a different note, when Cisco fired up the Flash Gordon theme song last night I thought I was going to die laughing. It was such a perfect way to undercut the tension.
It was SO full of awesome. Anything with Queen is perfection. Honestly, this Flash episode could have had content that sucked rocks but THIS song was going to make the episode no matter what.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Rachel played Elizabeth the first on reign. So, she is good at playing a villain.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:19 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
Rachel played Elizabeth the first on reign. So, she is good at playing a villain.
That's great. She was mesmerizing in the Batwoman Pilot. The character was unhinged the entire time and you felt like that any moment the unhinged aspect could enter total destruction. She made me nervous. That is some good acting.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:35 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Old 10-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Rewatching The Flash since I missed bits and pieces last night due to a long phone call.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:00 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
I first saw Rachel on the CW show Birds of Prey, which featured Huntress, Batgirl and Rachel's character as crime fighters in Gotham. Later she joined Lost Girl as Tamsin, and she's guest starred on a couple shows I watch. I never got into Reign, but I know that the people that do like it, love it.