Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2018, 10:05 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Definitely!
It's nice because the series does not have long seasons. Episodes are filled with quality and not high in number per season. It works perfectly because it's about quality, not quantity so you really are entranced while watching each episode. I think every episode plays out like a good movie, engaged from start to finish.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:08 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I couldn't figure out what decade it was until I heard the music. lol
Right? The music is a big giveaway. Music, Dungeons & Dragons, and the bikes... kids riding BIKES. I just smile watching the 80s beautifully hitting our screen. The Duffer Brothers (twin brothers/creators) have talked about how important it was for them to bring the classic American 80s to the screen. They've succeeded!
Old 01-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Found it!

Here you go, Betty... I know you hate writing up long stuff about shows/episodes so don't respond specifically! I just wanted you to read my thoughts on The Pilot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
Stranger Things: 1.1: CHAPTER ONE: THE VANISHING OF WILL BYERS

I am in love. Hooked after the first five minutes. How on earth have I not seen this before now? It's SO my cup of tea!

I am an American who grew up in a suburb of Cleveland in the 80s/90s, Midwestern USA. Of course I am going to relate to the culture and setting! I seriously feel like I am experiencing my childhood again. Bikes, oh the bikes are brought back! Bikes = everything in the 80s/90s USA. Kids rode bikes everywhere and we felt powerful and damn special on our bikes too... it was our form of independence and it was everything.

As a result, I am digging the 80s Midwestern vibe and all the American trends and pop culture stuff (Dungeons & Dragons! ), the music ("The Rains of Africa!" Ha!), and overall feel to it. It reminds me of a combination of The Goonies and The X-Files (80s/90s). That recipe is a good thing in my mind. 80s tropes. Small town Midwest America, kids on BMXs, D&D and nerds and repulsive bullies. Perfection. I can see why this show has been nominated and won endless awards already. Putting the terrific acting aside, the setting, production, music, directing, everything fits together like peanut butter and jelly. Just perfect! Acting is incredible, both the children and adults, this cast can act.

I love seeing Winona Ryder back on my screen. I seriously adore her acting skills. She's outstanding and I can tell she's going to light it up in this role.

The reason why this show works for me immediately is because not only did I devour and relate to the American culture and setting... but the strength is the friendship and bond between the four kids... a monster story only works if we care about the characters the monster is chasing around... and I do care! Will and his dorky friends are the heart and soul of this show... they bicker, call each other names, fight, make up, have fun, but the biggest thing of all is the intense loyalty, love and caring they have for each other. Their bond is what will carry this show.

Speaking of... I loved seeing the kids get so excited about the ham radio! These little things make me love this group even more, while remembering how much simpler and awesome growing up in their time truly was. We didn't have to worry about all the new age technology and endless social media constantly tormenting. Life was so much more simple and awesome back then.

I feel so sorry for Will's brother, Jonathan. He took an extra shift to help make some money and his brother is missing and he feels responsible. Poor guy. I love how his mother comforted him. It is not his fault, even if he thinks it is.

Ted is the most annoying oblivious kind of dad. He can leave. Do. Not. Like. Him.

Poor Benny! I immediately liked him but that was the point. He's too helpful and caring. The minute "social services" showed up and he commented on how quickly she arrived, I knew he was a goner.

Nancy and Steve making out in the bathroom... I can't tell whether Steve is a player only or really likes her. Either way I appreciated how she put her foot down and let him know she is not someone he is just going to score with.

David Harbour is awesome. Chief of Hawkins Police Department, and obviously the death of his family member has something to do with why he's lingering in pain. I liked him immediately. I love the actor too. He awesome in pretty much everything, and I'm already digging his character.

I've always loved Matthew Modine too and I assume we'll see more of him as one of the scientist/government guys.

What are the boys going to do with Eleven?!!! It's clear she has psychokinetic abilities which is really cool! I assume she escaped from Hawkins Laboratory.

Great start, loved the Pilot!
Old 01-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Are there any romantic pairings that bog down the show or is it pretty carefree with the adventures/time travel?
Not really no.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I am on 1.4 and loving every minute of it. I think deep down I was waiting for Betty to get going because I suggested she give it a watch and she said she would. I didn't want to bother her about it with the holidays and everything but knew she'd eventually give it a watch. She has, I am happy, and will now continue to watch. Since I already wrote up 1.1 I will write up the rest, going back to 1.2. I should find 1.1 for Betty come to think of it. LOL
Okay awesome
Old 01-05-2018, 01:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Definitely!
That's great
Old 01-05-2018, 03:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
Not really no.
Good deal.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Okay awesome
Season 3 isn't until next Fall, right?
Old 01-05-2018, 08:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Good deal.
Yes it is lol
Old 01-05-2018, 08:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Season 3 isn't until next Fall, right?
Might not even be until 2019.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Yes it is lol
Refreshing. I highly dislike how MG writes romance. He seems to have the action stuff constructed perfectly but the romantic stuff, nope, not even close.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Might not even be until 2019.
Dang. We have a while.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Refreshing. I highly dislike how MG writes romance. He seems to have the action stuff constructed perfectly but the romantic stuff, nope, not even close.
I do too lol
Old 01-06-2018, 02:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I do too lol
I wonder if he realizes this reality? Lol
Old 01-06-2018, 02:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I wonder if he realizes this reality? Lol
Doubt it
Closed Thread   Post New Thread