Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2017, 09:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
Got it. I just remembered you mentioned he was Italian before.

Yes, she was on Girl Meets World and has a great singing voice and music career.

The entire series is around 140. It's not bad, but I don't really want seasons 7-9. Individual seasons are spendy it seems. So unless an individual season is on sale, it's spendy. For example, season 8 right now is 30 bucks. 30 bucks for a not so great season, lol. Season 2 is 34 bucks. So I'll have to wait until seasons are sale or I find a cheaper series price. I need a super cheap price to convince me to include seasons 7-9 since I'll never watch those seasons again.
that is surprising, but there might be a greater demand now that it is off netflix and you might get it at cost. Have you tried looking at best buy?
Old 10-09-2017, 09:39 AM
Elite Fan

Justice League

Old 10-09-2017, 09:41 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
that is surprising, but there might be a greater demand now that it is off netflix and you might get it at cost. Have you tried looking at best buy?
Just checked Best Buy... series is 149.

Just checked Walmart... series is 138. At Walmart, it seems like the individual seasons are a big cheaper.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:41 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Thanks for the trailers, Alan!
Old 10-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
Yeah they are saying that when he went to Argentina he did not understand a thing . Now it's funny, but I bet it's not easy at all to go to another country without knowing the language. Especially at his age. He was 18 at that time. However he left his home when he 16 years old so I guess becoming famous needs sacrifices. He says that he is sad that he missed his brother's growing up as his brother was just 6 years old when he left and now is 14.
Definitely had to have been difficult. Only good news is Italian and Spanish are romance languages so have some similarities. Still, must have been tough adjusting.

Quote:
Did she start her music career before landing the role on the show or the show helped her starting her music career? Does she sing in the show?
She started before she landed the role, continued during the show, and has continued post-show. She even acted some before Girl Meets World too.

Quote:
Ah I see. Makes sense . Indeed Season 7-9 are not worth that much money.
Exactly. LOL
Old 10-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Definitely had to have been difficult. Only good news is Italian and Spanish are romance languages so have some similarities. Still, must have been tough adjusting.
True that . Can you imagine how it would be if we have to learn Chinese like that .

Quote:
She started before she landed the role, continued during the show, and has continued post-show. She even acted some before Girl Meets World too.
This is great. Has she said what she prefers more - acting or singing?
Old 10-09-2017, 11:04 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
True that . Can you imagine how it would be if we have to learn Chinese like that .
It would have been... impossible for me anyway.

Quote:
This is great. Has she said what she prefers more - acting or singing?
She hasn't really said. I think she's a great actress too. You know how some are more musically gifted but still act? She is not one of them. She has talent in both music and on the screen.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:15 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
It would have been... impossible for me anyway.
I think that it is possible, but very difficult.

Quote:
She hasn't really said. I think she's a great actress too. You know how some are more musically gifted but still act? She is not one of them. She has talent in both music and on the screen.
This is great! Have you seen her in other movie/show?
Old 10-09-2017, 12:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I think that it is possible, but very difficult.
For me it’s all about my desire. If I don’t have a desire to learn something then I won’t. If needed for my present job I would go there and learn it just fine. Otherwise no thanks, lol.

Quote:

This is great! Have you seen her in other movie/show?
I haven’t. I should check out some of her work because I do like her.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
For me it’s all about my desire. If I don’t have a desire to learn something then I won’t. If needed for my present job I would go there and learn it just fine. Otherwise no thanks, lol.
Definitely . I meant in a situation where we need to learn it and have no other way. Otherwise yeah I would not start learning Chinese on my own. No thank you!

Quote:
I haven’t. I should check out some of her work because I do like her.
You might like something .
Old 10-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Definitely . I meant in a situation where we need to learn it and have no other way. Otherwise yeah I would not start learning Chinese on my own. No thank you!

You might like something .
Yep.

Yes, exactly. I could learn it. Might complain while going there though, lol.

But yes, going from Italian to Spanish would be much easier. I wouldn't even consider myself 100% fluent in Spanish but when I see or hear Italian I can pick up some stuff just based on my Spanish knowledge. In fact, I watched an Italian movie a few years ago with English subs. I found myself not having to heavily lean on the English subs because after a while I could generally figure out what was being said. I found myself checking the subs to make sure I was gathering the main points and usually that was the case.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Supergirl Season 3 Premiere this evening

Heads up:

Spoiler:
Old 10-10-2017, 01:17 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
LOL The college had interesting traditions... the girls never used purses. You could spot out the Freshman girls because they'd be the ones to have one until they were told about the quirky rule and to switch it up, lol. You weren't laughed at or anything, it was just a quirky "rule" that had probably been in place for decades. I actually liked this because I hate purses so it was nice that I didn't stick out without one.
That's an weird rule, why was it in place?
Old 10-10-2017, 02:51 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
That's an weird rule, why was it in place?
I believe it was to promote a down to earth, no need to impress sort of atmosphere... very relaxed, casual, peaceful environment. I don't know of a girl who minded actually. I think the theme was not wanting anyone to feel like they had to be "on" during the college experience. Just be... casual, peaceful, jeans and sweatshirt type of existence.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Supergirl Season 3 Premiere Review: “Girl of Steel”

I liked it. What carried this episode was Melissa's amazing acting performance. She shined in this episode. I thought it made sense Kara felt guilt over what happened in the finale of 2. She's hurting over Mon El, that much is obvious, but it's about more than that. It made sense she tried to become only Alien in this one for a while. The highlight for me though was that Alex/J'onn scene when she asked him to walk her down the aisle. Goosebumps. I continue to love the Kara/Lena friendship, though I am wondering how on earth Lena still doesn't realize Kara = Supergirl? Wasn't it made clear she pretty much figured it out in the finale of 2? I think they're trying to show us that Kara and Mon-El have some sort of psychic/Spiritual connection. Loved every Alex/Kara, Alex/J'onn, Kara/J'onn scene, especially that scene between Kara/J'onn on the roof. Making Cat Press Secretary was a brilliant move. I liked that James wasn't a side character either. Lena buying CatCo was awesome. Really enjoyed this premiere.

Oh and Shu it's time to start watching again... you had the suspicion they were going James/Lena and trust me, it's happening. They were attending a meeting together and the comments back and forth = definite foreshadowing for these two.

I like this review... will post it. Looking forward to 3.2!

Quote:
Supergirl Season 3 Premiere Review: "Girl of Steel"
Supergirl Season 3 Premiere Review: “Girl of Steel”

The second season of Supergirl primarily focused on Kara’s desire to be both human and alien, a hero but also a normal, everyday person who is able to enjoy life and love. However, the events of last year’s finale served as a powerful reminder to Kara that no matter how much she may want a “normal” life, the life of a superhero will never be truly, wholly normal. It’s a life full of impossible choices and sacrifices, and during the Season 2 finale, Kara makes the hardest sacrifice she, or any other Kryptonian (as she mentions during tonight’s episode, Clark would not have been able to do what she did), has ever had to make by letting Mon-El go to save the rest of the planet.

And while the Supergirl Season 3 premiere picks up months after that fateful choice, showing us that National City has been able to rebuild itself thanks to help from Lena Luthor and Morgan Edge (Heroes and Agents of SHIELD alum Adrian Pasdar), it also illustrates that Kara is nowhere near close to repairing her own self. In fact, she has gone in the complete opposite direction, deciding she needs to tear down the idea of Kara Danvers and solely focus on being Supergirl in an attempt to numb the pain that she feels.

Simply put, Kara’s story is one of pain and grief, as she still has not allowed herself to fully come to terms with the loss of Mon-El. Despite Kara’s protests about not being human, her journey throughout tonight’s premiere is very much that, from the way she attempts to dull her sadness and anger to the moments where she lashes out at the people who matter most, such as Alex and James. It’s an accelerated portrayal of the five stages of grief, and while not all of the material is perfect (some of the dialogue in particular is a bit clunky at times), Melissa Benoist sells the hell out of it all, depicting Kara’s struggles in a wonderfully honest, authentic, and (yes) human way. She’s raw and real in both the bigger scenes, such as Kara’s screaming match with Alex, but also in the quieter, more intimate moments like when Kara asks J’onn about his family after she admits to dreaming about Mon-El and her mother (now played by Smallville‘s Erica Durance).

Ultimately, what makes “Girl of Steel” work so well as a premiere and what especially makes Kara’s journey from detached individual to someone who wants to live more fully again is the fact that it’s not just one person that helps her with this breakthrough: it’s all the important people in her life. Sure, Mon-El’s words, “Wake up,” which Kara hears underwater as she fights to stop Bloodsport and Edge’s men on the submarine after they disrupt the statue unveiling in National City, are what Kara repeats to herself before we see her start to make those big changes at the end of the episode. However, that vision of Mon-El serves as the pinnacle of the mountain of honesty and inspiration that Kara receives throughout the hour, hope and encouragement that she gets from everyone from Alex to James to Lena to J’onn. All of them, without really knowing it, work together to help bring back the person they love, the hero who has constantly saved them: not Supergirl but Kara Danvers. Here’s hoping that Kara can remember just how much both parts of her matter throughout the rest of Season 3. I don’t expect it will be easy for her to do on her own, but hey, that’s what friends and family are for, right?

Other thoughts:

Welcome back to Supergirl reviews, everyone! I loved covering this show last season and can’t wait to write about it again throughout Season 3. I’ll be sharing reviewing duties with my good friend and fellow TVOvermind reviewer Blaise Hopkins, so be sure to be on the lookout for his thoughts on Episode 2 next week!
Let’s take a moment to talk about how terrific Alex and Maggie’s scenes together are in “Girl of Steel.” I know there’s a lot of justifiable uncertainty and sadness in the Supergirl fandom right now about this couple with Floriana Lima’s departure coming up this season, but until that time comes, I’m going to savor every well-written, well-acted scene between these two characters. The wedding conversation (which, of course, Winn listens in on) is easily a highlight from tonight’s premiere.
My biggest highlight from this whole episode, though? Alex asking J’onn to walk her down the aisle. Such superb work in that scene from Chyler Leigh and David Harewood. That moment and those tears have been earned over the past two seasons. Well done, Supergirl.
Morgan Edge’s arrival brings James and Lena together in very interesting ways. Not only are the two of them involved in a meeting with Edge near the start of the episode, but by episode’s end, Lena owns CatCo, which I hope means she’ll be interacting with more characters than just Kara and her mother this season. That’s mostly because I think Lena is such a rich, vibrant character, but it’s also because I love Katie McGrath and kind of want her in every scene in every episode.
We meet Odette Annabelle’s Reign in tonight’s premiere, but she’s not Reign yet. Instead, her name is Sam, and she has a daughter named Ruby, whom she saves using abilities she did not know she had. Then, of course, there’s that nightmare that Sam has at the end, which indicates that if Reign is not already possessing her in some unconscious way, she will be soon.
Cat Grant makes an appearance via video in “Girl of Steel,” as she is officially the press secretary for Lynda Carter’s president. This development, of course, allows the Supergirl writers to get some way-too-obvious political jabs in at the current administration. It’s not that I mind the show getting political; I just wish it were more clever about it.
Do we think Kara’s dreams are only just dreams, or are the similarities between them and Sam’s nightmare too much to ignore? I don’t know. I’m betting on there being some type of connection with Reign arriving on Earth and Mon-El returning. Perhaps they’re both trapped in the same type of Phantom Zone-esque place?
“Oh come on, Alex. Your unrelenting seriousness is one of your best qualities.”
Closed Thread   Post New Thread