Old 10-16-2017, 10:16 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

^ Thanks for the trailers.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:31 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
Looking forward to your thoughts!
Yeah haha.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Yep. That's about right. Incredible prices. I can't believe how much the prices have gone up since I received my Bachelors and Masters. It's incredible.
How long ago did you received those?
Old 10-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
How long ago did you received those?
I received my Master's Degree officially in 2005. I worked Full Time while getting my Masters Part Time. The University paid for my Masters (since I work there). However, my four year Bachelors while I received a few grants, since it was a private college the tuition was very high and those grants didn't remotely take care of the yearly tuition. I don't have anymore loans out there, I paid them all off but it definitely took a while. It was nice though since the monthly payment/interest was very low. I also paid off a little bit in chunks as well along with the small monthly payment.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Supergirl 3.2 "Triggers"

100% sure (not even 99.999) James and Lena are getting together romantically. It's like... a done deal. The writers are not even being subtle, they are so getting together romantically. I am so excited for this storyline! James had a right to be a bit pissed that Lena wasn't really informing him of what was going on with the company. Granted, Lena bought the company and is the owner... I cannot believe the dollar figure she actually bought it for. Damn, she's filthy rich. But yes, James was running the business before this time so there's tension... business tension and also... the slow development of romantic tension. Let's do this.

Kara and Alex nursing/stroking their sister relationship makes me so happy. Mon El is gone and look at that... we actually have tons of heartfelt, beautiful Kara and Alex scenes. I love when Alex scooted to get closer to Kara so they could hug. The best relationship ever. These two are the heart and soul of this show.

Alex & Maggie are so done in a short while and I don't want to see it go down. They haven't seen eye to eye two episodes in a row. The children talk comes and Alex looked like she had seen a scary ghost when Maggie said she doesn't want to have kids because she could never see herself as a mom. They are ready for the cliff... they are done, it's just a matter of time.

I am frustrated that Lena still supposedly doesn't realize Kara is Supergirl. This really bothers me. It was pretty obvious she knew at the end of last season so why amnesia, writers? Does she know and she's waiting for Kara to confess or does she really not know? If she doesn't truly know then it's just dumb. Lena is intelligent, Lena figured it out last season. Even if they're going to make Lena dumb and she doesn't truly know, how is this going to work out? She's Kara's boss now who's going to be in the office every day. She's going to realize Kara is gone a lot and wonder what the heck is up. She already noticed her acting strangely in this one even if Mon El was the true reason, Kara wasn't lying. But Mon El cannot always be the reason why she just bails and leaves regularly. If Lena doesn't already know she's going to find out fairly soon anyway. Cat found out twice.

Also, I did love it when Lena called Kara out on her behavior. That was awesome. Kara cannot pull that with Lena, who is not only her friend but her boss now.

I enjoyed the villain of the week who had psychic powers and counted on fear for control. That was good stuff.

I also loved the Kara/Winn interaction too. Kara going to Winn immediately then another time, the heart to heart talks were the best. I am glad the show remembered that once upon a time they were BFFs. They need more interaction regularly.

I don't miss Mon-El at all right now. Kara is finally having amazing scenes with Alex and Winn and she's the center of the show once again.

I loved how Alex took about two seconds to break down Winn so he'd give up the information on Kara's struggle, lol.

I am already really sad about Sam/Ruby and what's going to happen when Sam's powers start developing. I love their mother/daughter dynamic. What will happen when Sam becomes the villain? What will happen to Ruby?

Did I mention it's a done deal and James/Lena are totally going to get together?

Next week looks sweet. Let's go to Mars.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:03 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Interesting. We definitely have testing before getting into college too. There's SATs/ACTs/PSATs, GPAs.
Yes. The thing is that in Bulgaria you could have exam in every subject you study in high school - sport, arts, painting, music, math, biology, chemistry etc. Every thing you have studied. In some cases you need to pass more than one exam. And yes your GPA matters too as well as specific notes. For example for my education I had to take exam in math and German and my notes for math, Bulgarian and physics (the average score out of the 5 years in high-school) also comprise of the overall score I use to qualify. In my case I had 31.60 score out of 32 which helped me qualify basically. However this meant that I had to invest all 5 years in high school to ensure average of 6 (which is the max so A) for all math, Bulgarian and physics to ensure qualifying. If you want to be architect you have exam in math and painting and then you need again average score for Bulgarian and math. I think you always need the average score for Bulgarian language no matter what you apply for.

However we don't have to write essays and motivational letters which I think you have to do. At least this is what I have seen in TV shows/movies. Is this mandatory? Also they don't care here about the extra curricular activities and I think they do in your country. Again based on shows/movies. So how is this going because you know it this way better than me?

Quote:
That will determine what colleges you can get into and can receive a certain degree in. But then if you want to go to Medical School, PT School, Law School, etc, you have to prove while IN COLLEGE (in addition to your past school history) that you have the grades to get into this programs.
Yes. This is where I think that our educational systems differ. If I got it correctly if you want to become doctor you need to go to college and then apply for med school. If say you do this. I assume you study 4 years in college and then how many do you study in med school? Also does this mean that you need to know in the beginning of your college degree that you want to study say medicine so that you cover the needed courses? Is this the case?

Another difference is that we do not have that many colleges. We go directly to universities. And basically we need to complete the 4 years there and we get the bachelor degree. Additional 2 are needed for the master degree and if you don't require more time or you don't have delays, at the age of 24 you could have master degree. Of course people start working at the age of 21/22 while they are in their bachelor program, but still 24 is relatively young.

Quote:
Even if you have the grades depending on where you apply you still might not get into these programs because it's competitive. There's plenty of people who have top notch grades/elite testing scores that apply to four medical schools and might only get into one of the four, for example. My friend who is an MD went to Vanderbilt University which is a tough college to even get into. Then she applied to Medical Schools and she was our Class Valedictorian in high school. She is the one that borrowed my sister's physics, calculus, organic and inorganic chemistry books when we were in middle school "for some casual reading" because she's that smart. She's on my dad's level. She applied to three medical schools and didn't get her first or second choice... she got into her third. That shows you how competitive it can be. My sister applied to Medical School and PT School. PT School is even harder to get into and she got accepted into both Medical and PT school but then again, that's my sister, lol. She also declined both because being a scientist was her calling. But yes, it's very tough to get into these programs and as I know based on Anna applying to college now, it's even tougher in this day and age.
What is PT school? Also your sister is just genius like your dad! You have the smart genes in your family for sure.

It's definitely competitive in your country! Way more! You have far bigger population and not that many schools so applicants need to reach really high standards to be accepted. If say someone wants to be a doctor how many years it would take them to reach the phase to be intern in a hospital. I think it starts with being intern. Right? I might confuse the words. Sorry.

Overall I think that it's way more difficult in your country because you need the money and you need to meet a lot of criteria. For us at least the money is not that big issue. The rest is well it depends where you want to study. If you want good university then you have to do your best and it still might not be enough. But you have that too. This is why I am saying that it's more difficult in your country.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:33 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I received my Master's Degree officially in 2005. I worked Full Time while getting my Masters Part Time. The University paid for my Masters (since I work there). However, my four year Bachelors while I received a few grants, since it was a private college the tuition was very high and those grants didn't remotely take care of the yearly tuition. I don't have anymore loans out there, I paid them all off but it definitely took a while. It was nice though since the monthly payment/interest was very low. I also paid off a little bit in chunks as well along with the small monthly payment.
Okay cool, how long did it take to play off those loans?
Old 10-17-2017, 04:02 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Okay cool, how long did it take to play off those loans?
It took me about 5 years.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:21 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
Yes. The thing is that in Bulgaria you could have exam in every subject you study in high school - sport, arts, painting, music, math, biology, chemistry etc. Every thing you have studied. In some cases you need to pass more than one exam. And yes your GPA matters too as well as specific notes. For example for my education I had to take exam in math and German and my notes for math, Bulgarian and physics (the average score out of the 5 years in high-school) also comprise of the overall score I use to qualify. In my case I had 31.60 score out of 32 which helped me qualify basically. However this meant that I had to invest all 5 years in high school to ensure average of 6 (which is the max so A) for all math, Bulgarian and physics to ensure qualifying. If you want to be architect you have exam in math and painting and then you need again average score for Bulgarian and math. I think you always need the average score for Bulgarian language no matter what you apply for.
Really interesting. I've always wondered about the people who generally are smart but cannot take tests properly. There's some people who just suck at taking tests and even have some sort of disability when they do take timed tests yet they have mastered the material. I've always wondered this because I know so many people who have taken those college entrance exams here in the States and they get lower scores since they have test anxiety or cannot do timed tests properly. Their scores do not reflect their knowledge in other words.

Quote:
However we don't have to write essays and motivational letters which I think you have to do. At least this is what I have seen in TV shows/movies. Is this mandatory? Also they don't care here about the extra curricular activities and I think they do in your country. Again based on shows/movies. So how is this going because you know it this way better than me?
You are correct on both... you do write essays and letters. Often a high school teacher will write something on your behalf. Extra curricular activities do matter too. There's so many people who have 3.8, 3.9, 4.0 GPAs but those extra curricular activities are sometimes the difference in getting into a top college or not.

Quote:
Yes. This is where I think that our educational systems differ. If I got it correctly if you want to become doctor you need to go to college and then apply for med school. If say you do this. I assume you study 4 years in college and then how many do you study in med school? Also does this mean that you need to know in the beginning of your college degree that you want to study say medicine so that you cover the needed courses? Is this the case?
That's generally how it works. You do not go directly to Medical School. You need a four year Bachelors Degree in some area and it's almost always science because you need certain prerequisites to get into Medical School. You can technically get a Bachelors in some other area then decide you want to go to Medical School. However, you'd have to go to college and take all the prerequisites in order to get in. So you could do it that way too but generally speaking more know they want Medical School so their Bachelors goes together with just that. When you complete your Bachelors then you'll be fully prepared with all the prerequisites to apply to Medical School.

Generally to become an MD you'll need to complete four to five years of pre-med preparation (Bachelors), another four years of Medical School, and three to seven years of residency. It's a long road. My friend who is an Ophthalmologist graduated with her Bachelors from Vanderbilt University at age 22. She was doing eye surgery on her own at the Cleveland Clinic around age 30 or so. But she wasn't at the heart of her career until around mid-30s. It took over a decade and a half since she first started college in other words until she was at the heart of her career as an eye surgeon practicing at both the hospital and her regular clinic.

Quote:
Another difference is that we do not have that many colleges. We go directly to universities. And basically we need to complete the 4 years there and we get the bachelor degree. Additional 2 are needed for the master degree and if you don't require more time or you don't have delays, at the age of 24 you could have master degree. Of course people start working at the age of 21/22 while they are in their bachelor program, but still 24 is relatively young.
Makes sense. Yes everywhere you look here there's another college, lol, a private or public one.

Quote:
What is PT school? Also your sister is just genius like your dad! You have the smart genes in your family for sure.
Physical Therapy School. It's actually tougher to get into Physical Therapy School than Medical School. My sister applied to PT school... put it this way... only 30 spots were available at the college she was applying to get into and about 1000 people applied. 1000 people and only 30 got in. My sister was one of the 30...

Yes, she's wicked smart.

Quote:
It's definitely competitive in your country! Way more! You have far bigger population and not that many schools so applicants need to reach really high standards to be accepted. If say someone wants to be a doctor how many years it would take them to reach the phase to be intern in a hospital. I think it starts with being intern. Right? I might confuse the words. Sorry.
Yes, you are right. See above when I described this using my friend as an example. But yes you are an intern in a hospital first almost always. My friend worked at the Cleveland Clinic (just happens to be one of the greatest Clinics in the world right in our background in Cleveland) for years before she got her own clinic. Even now she uses the Cleveland Clinic as her hospital to do outpatient eye surgeries/emergency surgeries.

Quote:
Overall I think that it's way more difficult in your country because you need the money and you need to meet a lot of criteria. For us at least the money is not that big issue. The rest is well it depends where you want to study. If you want good university then you have to do your best and it still might not be enough. But you have that too. This is why I am saying that it's more difficult in your country.
You have this right.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:04 AM
Master Fan

Michelle I decided to continue our topic for education in OT3 as we share different country systems and it's some cultural exchange . And we would not disturb the people that post on topic .

If you have issues with this please feel free to raise them .
Old 10-17-2017, 10:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

That's perfectly fine, I was thinking the same thing after I wrote up the Supergirl thoughts.

Good idea, thanks for moving our discussion over there!
Old 10-17-2017, 11:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
It took me about 5 years.
Wow, long time then.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:57 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Wow, long time then.
It's actually not too bad considering I received two degrees, Bachelors and Masters (and got my Masters paid for). The college I went to for my Bachelors was 2-3 times as expensive as most Universities. So if you put it in perspective... had I gone to an average University, it would have only taken me about two years to pay off. I feel lucky because some people take years and years and years to get everything paid off. My friend who is a medical doctor had hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans. Now she's a successful eye surgeon working at the Cleveland Clinic as well as her own clinic. She has everything paid off now but it took her at least a decade. She also married a guy who is a Urologist and had hundreds of thousands of dollars too. Of course now they're wealthy given their professions but it wasn't easy for a good decade and change with all those loans. But they're an example of those loans being worth every penny given the cash flow they have now.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread