Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Manda, wonderful post.

Quote:
political reasons?! What do they mean with that?!
Political reasons basically pertains to the fact that that they seem to be generally picking shows (putting aside Gilmore Girls because it's both high quality and highly rated) based more on where the show comes from (the WB or UPN) what type of tone they want for their shows on the new network, and the list goes on. In other words, the large consensus is they aren't picking shows that are solely based on high ratings and high quality, outside of Gilmore Girls. They have a specific agenda regarding what shows they are taking.

For instance, Everwood is one of the best shows out there, the ratings are certainly solid enough and it is critically acclaimed.. Shouldn't that be a given that it makes the cut then? Nope.. That is not necessarily what this new network cares about. It seems to be concentrating on a specific target audience and Everwood might just be a little too "intellectual" and not necessarily "fitting the mold" for their target audience. That is the spec anyway. I mean, there is a world of difference between the reality shows the CW is automatically picking up versus Everwood to give you an idea of how Everwood certainly might stick out like a sore thumb, given how they want the flavor of their shows to be. Also, there is large speculation over on another site that this network is biased with the UPN shows because the people in charge of picking the shows is currently working at the UPN, thus, the WB shows will be at a severe disadvantage.

Just things like that.. Politics are certainly in play.

For me, if Everwood doesn't make the cut, I will watch for Gilmore Girls and then once Gilmore Girls ends after next season (that is probably when it will end) I'm never watching this network again.

Last edited by jediwands; 05-06-2006 at 03:13 PM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

A little bit of boycotting if everwood doesn't get picked up

thnx for explaining, I understand the whole politic thing a lot better now...
I hope that this person isn't he or she called Ostroff or something like that?! Anyway, I hope he/she is not biased by merely picking the UPN shows.. That would be wrong and I think a lot of fans who like the WB fans would not appreciate it if they would do such a thing... Perhaps they'd all boycot the network which definately wouldn't be good for their ratings IMO

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
heartღaflutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinystar
A little bit of boycotting if everwood doesn't get picked up
Definitely.

I wish I didn't love Gilmore Girls so much or else I would start the boycotting sooner.

Quote:
thnx for explaining, I understand the whole politic thing a lot better now...
I hope that this person isn't he or she called Ostroff or something like that?! Anyway, I hope he/she is not biased by merely picking the UPN shows.. That would be wrong and I think a lot of fans who like the WB fans would not appreciate it if they would do such a thing... Perhaps they'd all boycot the network which definately wouldn't be good for their ratings IMO
Totally agree with you. My guess is the WB might be regretting their decision of making this deal.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yes boycotting can become harder when you like other shows on that network as well

I never really understood why they're merging actually..

Old 05-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Yes boycotting can become harder when you like other shows on that network as well
Definitely.

Quote:
I never really understood why they're merging actually..
I know. Me too. I am lost as well. I guess, as always, the bottom line is it's about money I suppose. The WB and UPN were not making enough of it and thus, certainly not competing with the major networks such as ABC, NBC, and CBS. With that in mind, the solution was to combine both networks and come up with a brand new network that could better compete for ratings with the major networks. Sort of like "combining forces" and then giving it a go.

That's the basic reasoning. Of course, there is much more to it that I am certainly unaware of but I do think the bottom line was about money and trying to compete with the big networks.. The WB and UPN certainly weren't competing as solo networks.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

yeah that basic reasoning is what was in my mind too.. It's always about the money

I'm just really hoping for Everwood to be picked up.. It would be sad if such a good show would be cancelled..

Old 05-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I'm just really hoping for Everwood to be picked up.. It would be sad if such a good show would be cancelled..
It really would, that's for sure.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Elite Fan

When do we find out if the show is picked up or not?
Sheebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Master Fan

I've heard, especially recently, that CW isn't going to have many new shows starting in fall, so as to have as many returning shows from the WB and UPN as possible. They might stack the pilots they've got going right now for the midseason, so that's probably good news for Everwood. Not to mention the ratings. We haven't got the finals this week, but some of the preliminaries have the show beating Smallville this week and actually being third on the WB this week. It has been fourth or fifth on the whole network since its return, so, again, good news. The letters and such have been noticed by Dawn Ostroff according to one of the TV Guide guys and I keep hearing that she has a..well, dislike for the OTH guy, Mark something or other. Not sure how true it is, but I keep hearing it, so I'll throw it in there as some other good news. Not to mention that Variety just recently reported that 7th Heaven is probably not returning (although, who knows), so, less competition.

Whew, there's just a bit. But, all I'm saying is don't be too discouraged just yet. The show has two episodes before we find out and the ratings keep going up so if that continues..well yay. And, next week where ratings could possibly be up quite a bit as it will be after 7th Heaven's final episode. And, if you are discouraged, all I say to that is: letters, letters, letters . I know someone on the WB Boards who has sent 38 letters as of today! Wow, just wow. So, if you've sent one or two and are wanting to help this show, then you can always write more, 38 more!

So, yeah, just saying, nobody knows what's going on right now with Everwood, so don't get too discouraged over one poll's results.

Quote:
When do we find out if the show is picked up or not?
May 18th.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Excellent post, 'Tos.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Master Fan

can't may 18th come any faster?

...scratch that.... the day of my grad challenge presentation is the day after... haha... and im not looking forward to that presentation, so.... lol
Reply   Post New Thread