Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Loyal Fan

I will say that I did like how we got these little snippets of narration scattered in seasons 3 and 4. "For Every Action..." had the letter, The Perfect Day had Hannah, A Mountain Town finished out Irv's storyteller SL, Oh The Places You'll Go with Julia's message, A Kiss to Build A Dream On had the postcard poem thing...so it's not like they were completely gone. If the episodes truly needed a VO, I'm sure Mimoun and Co. would have figured out a way to utilize it.
Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views.

-Squall Leonhart
ShadowMagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
The Perfect Day had Hannah [...] Oh The Places You'll Go with Julia's message
Okay, you know what? Right there, two pieces of proof that I am not anti-V/O, because those two killed me. Especially Julia's, because it was the first time Everwood ever made me cry. I think you're right, shadow, that they retained the V/O conceit -- they just utilized them in episodes where it made the most dramatic sense. As much as I can't imagine Irv's narrations working in S3 and 4 (and think they were sort of pointless for much of S2), I can't imagine most of the episodes you cited working without the narrations by other characters that they featured. Well, except for "A Kiss to Build a Dream On," because that always felt to me more like part of Rina's attempt to fake out the audience as to who was getting 'married,' hee.
Thief Of Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Master Fan

I really don't have much else to add beyond what you two have said. You've said it all and I agree 100%.

I will say that I'm still a little surprised that they only went back to the narration once (or twice? I can't remember) in season four. I don't know what episode I would have a narration and it obviously wasn't necessary because they all worked out very well without any at all, but, yeah, it's just a little surprising to me still.

Oh, I guess I do have one more thing to say: there are those fans that do not like Rina Mimoun, which I'm sure you all will be absolutely shocked to hear, heh. And some of those that do (not all, because I know some great fans that do not care for her) go out of their way to mention that she killed the voiceovers and that she hated them, The examples that shadow brought up, though, completely contradict her apparent killing or hatred of any voiceovers. She used them extremely effectively when she had to. Which is something we all know, but I'm just saying.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread