Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I honestly don't think that we can make sense of most timelines in this show. The writers were great...the stories and characters were wonderful...BUT..there is very often no logic or continuity to the storylines. Trying to make sense of it is hopeless...there is none. And...I really don't believe the writers cared.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos
that even if he wasn't the best looking

Quote:
or the most talented
Hey, he was first chair tuba, if you don't recall!

Quote:
he was the one who fought the most for Rose and won her heart and then expressed that in such a lovely way when he was away from her. That's the timeline I tend to stick to, because isn't it just sweet?
It definitely is. I wish they had told us more stories about Rose and Harold's courtship. I bet they would have been really cute and sweet!

And okay, I think I have a way to make sense of the timeline...tell me if this works...

-Harold is either a year older than Rose and when he said, "We were only two years older than [Ephram and Amy] when we first...", he meant that he was two years older than Ephram (who was perhaps 18) while Rose was two years older than Amy (who was perhaps still 17) [on a side note, at Harold and Rose thinking that losing their virginity at 20 and 19 is scandalous ] This makes sense with their marriage as well, because they got engaged when Rose was 18, probably waited several months (during which they could have both had birthdays), and waited until the wedding night to have sex.
OR Harold and Rose are the same age, but Harold skipped a grade at some point
-Harold and Rose did date in high school, and perhaps they already were talking of marriage, as Amy says they were
-Then they broke up, but Harold was still in love with Rose and wanted to win her back
-Harold decided to go to college near Everwood to be close to Rose, but it was far enough away that he couldn't see her all the time and still had to send her things
-When Rose graduated from high school, Harold proposed to her with the band behind him and everything
-Rose then decided not to go to Rome to study art but to stay in Everwood
-Perhaps Rose ended up going to the same undergraduate school as Harold during those years before he left for medical school
-Then Harold left Everwood for medical school and his residency while Rose was still finishing her last year of college
-Rose mentions that there was one year that she and Harold had a long distance relationship so that must have been the year that she was finishing college and he had already gone to medical school
-Then Rose joined Harold in whatever state that he was training in
-After he realized he couldn't be a surgeon, they both came "crawling back" to Everwood so he could take over his father's practice

......Does it work? I think it does! Perhaps I have solved the mystery of the Harold/Rose continuity after all!
HAROLD: I don't know what you mean.
LemonyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Master Fan

!!! to the eyebrows. If it helps, I meant it from Harold's perspective, because I see him as a guy who didn't exactly have the highest self-esteem when he was younger and felt that he had to fight for what he wanted with hard work and perseverance. 'Tis why I relate to that aspect of the timeline and Harold, heh.

Yes, I think that works quite nicely. Now, who broke up with who when they broke up in high school? Because it's so Rose, heh.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
!!! to the eyebrows. If it helps, I meant it from Harold's perspective, because I see him as a guy who didn't exactly have the highest self-esteem when he was younger and felt that he had to fight for what he wanted with hard work and perseverance. 'Tis why I relate to that aspect of the timeline and Harold, heh.
That does help! You needn't duck anymore. Personally, I see young Harold as a super smart kid who did have a pretty large ego, knowing that he was more intelligent than most (or all) of his peers and feeling like a lot of them were inferior to him. I can see him thinking high school in general was somewhat beneath him, and he probably excelled in all areas of school. So I think his self-esteem in that regard was probably quite high, just as it is currently.

But I agree that in the social arena, Harold was probably a lot more insecure. He probably was displeased with the fact that he fell in love in the first place because then he actually had to deal with the reality that--while he probably thought an intelligent, talented guy like him should be considered quite a catch--most people don't see it that way. He then had to compete with the popular guys for Rose's affection, thinking all the while that he was much better than all of them. It was probably quite frustrating, trying to convince Rose that intelligence and morality were more attractive qualities than coolness and athleticism.

But he was willing to work hard to do so, and luckily, Rose learned the good lesson and chose the right guy. I wonder how he asked her out in the first place though. It seems like he would never think that any of the popular girls would agree to a date with him, so I wonder how it went down. Can't you picture the two serving on student council together and getting to know each other that way?

Quote:
Yes, I think that works quite nicely.
*takes a bow* Thank you!

Quote:
Now, who broke up with who when they broke up in high school? Because it's so Rose, heh.
Oh, yeah, it almost definitely was. Harold probably was surprised that Rose ever decided to go out with him, but that was a good sign that she did care about things besides popularity and the like and was willing to give him a chance. If they did end up dating for a while in high school and talking of marriage, I wonder what would have caused Rose to break it off though. Maybe the peer pressure did get to her before she said "screw it" and followed her heart? Sort of like Amy and Ephram in season 1.

Oh, and by the way, has there ever been a Discussion Question like this? Talking about what we all suppose the adults were like when they were younger? If not, I think that would be a lot of fun.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Master Fan

I think you got Harold spot on. That's exactly what I was thinking! That he thought the kids around him in school were idiots but when he fell in love, he realized that they were his competition and they were sadly winning! So shocking, so very shocking that you would capture what he was like so easily.

Quote:
But he was willing to work hard to do so, and luckily, Rose learned the good lesson and chose the right guy. I wonder how he asked her out in the first place though. It seems like he would never think that any of the popular girls would agree to a date with him, so I wonder how it went down. Can't you picture the two serving on student council together and getting to know each other that way?
Ohh, I so can picture it! I think that's how it would have to have went down. I don't think he would have just straight up asked her out, he would have had to have gotten to know her first and worked up the courage and the confidence and once he found that, he never stopped.

Quote:
Oh, and by the way, has there ever been a Discussion Question like this? Talking about what we all suppose the adults were like when they were younger? If not, I think that would be a lot of fun.
No there hasn't and yes it would be fun! You pose the question, I'll add it. Teamwork! That...requires me to do very little work.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 01-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
I think you got Harold spot on. That's exactly what I was thinking! That he thought the kids around him in school were idiots but when he fell in love, he realized that they were his competition and they were sadly winning! So shocking, so very shocking that you would capture what he was like so easily.
Oh, why thank you!! What a compliment! I'm glad to do my Harold justice.

Quote:
Ohh, I so can picture it! I think that's how it would have to have went down. I don't think he would have just straight up asked her out, he would have had to have gotten to know her first and worked up the courage and the confidence and once he found that, he never stopped.
Exactly! It had to start somewhere; Harold doesn't seem like the type who would just fall for the popular girl for no reason. I'm sure he saw something deeper in her by getting to know her in some other capacity first.

Quote:
No there hasn't and yes it would be fun! You pose the question, I'll add it. Teamwork! That...requires me to do very little work.
Aye aye, captain! I'll go propose it in the proper thread.

But while I'm here, a new question for you all: what was your favorite Rose/Harold-centric episode?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Master Fan

Hee, you tend to do him justice quite a lot. He'd be proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemony
Exactly! It had to start somewhere; Harold doesn't seem like the type who would just fall for the popular girl for no reason. I'm sure he saw something deeper in her by getting to know her in some other capacity first.
Right on. I'm sure it was personality too, more than anything. I don't see Harold as the love at first sight type, I see him as the love at first philosophical debate.

Quote:
But while I'm here, a new question for you all: what was your favorite Rose/Harold-centric episode?
Mine was the pencil stub episode. I think it's just such a sweet concept and the band playing at the end is the kind of grand gesture that makes so much sense with Harold. I think it's their most loving scene.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Extreme Fan

You know, I'm not sure what my favorite Harold/Rose episode, but an underrated Harold/Rose episode that I totally love is "Across the Lines". It was just hilarious! Rose's funniest episode by far, and filled with great Harold/Rose interactions. It was interesting to see Harold sort of jealous for once (even if he was more concerned with Rose not confiding in him) and we got that sweet "I have no doubt that you'll always be mine" ending between the two as well.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:27 AM
Master Fan

Bill Schmicker!!!! Yes! I would have liked to have seen more episodes like that for Harold and Rose (and I think we would have in S5) because they are hilarious together and I wish we got to see more of that!

The first thing I think of when it comes to Rose and Harold is Harold waking up from his dream of being at his own funeral and mocking Andy in his own dream, and then waking up and asking Rose if people like him, and her non-committal "Go back to sleep." They're such a fun couple. Ooh, I also like when Rose says that he's her stick in the mud. Aw!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Extreme Fan

I was watching "Reflex" and I have been wondering about Harold and Rose's first time. Is that weird? I really like them both. Personally, I think they were the best couple on Everwood.

Does anybody know of any good fanfic? Or bad ones? I am not choosey.
kabous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Hi!

Here is an Everwood fic thread that was created many years ago:

http://www.fanforum.com/f104/everwood-fanfic-9080/

There is another fic thread that I am still looking for. I will post when I find it.

ETA: Here we go, the second one: http://www.fanforum.com/f104/everwoo...road-62984244/

Last edited by jediwands; 04-28-2013 at 11:41 AM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Extreme Fan

Thanks man. I really appreciate it.
kabous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Extreme Fan

Why the bump, you ask? Well, because. Because. Because.

Because.

Because of the wonderful things I does.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Extreme Fan

Made my new avatar. Now I have something of small substance to post on this thread.

~Cuties~
Old 12-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

What scene was that again? Or, I mean what episode? I love those two!

And I have to ask... do you feel a bit of jealousy seeing that picture? I mean, Rose IS in the picture? Harold could be charming her so she doesn't find out about the hot and steamy affair he has going on with you? LOL

Oh and a question... what did you think of Harold/Rose as a rule? How did you like their relationship as a whole and even breaking down the seasons, anything you want to say about them in each season, shoot!
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread