Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Extreme Fan

So, I mentioned briefly on the Newbie thread that I thought (if Harold hadn't been married) that Harold/Louise's dynamic is a perfect set-up for a couple that ends up together in the last episode of a show. Of course, there would have to have been more exploration of it and more of a lead-up, but I can definitely see it happening. So I shall reiterate it here and ask: what do you all think?
HAROLD: I don't know what you mean.
LemonyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:08 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonyPie (View Post)
So, I mentioned briefly on the Newbie thread that I thought (if Harold hadn't been married) that Harold/Louise's dynamic is a perfect set-up for a couple that ends up together in the last episode of a show. Of course, there would have to have been more exploration of it and more of a lead-up, but I can definitely see it happening. So I shall reiterate it here and ask: what do you all think?
I have a tough time seeing it, but I also have a tough time seeing pretty much any non-canon relationships. Harold/Louise are definitely out of the box. I think if they maybe shared a few more bonding moments, I'd be closer to seeing it. I loved them butting heads and Harold being exasperated and I think they have an awesome loyalty to each other, but it's just making that leap to the next level...again, I'm pretty vanilla with relationships, though, heh.

I'm interested to find out if anyone else can see it.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
I have a tough time seeing it, but I also have a tough time seeing pretty much any non-canon relationships.
The exact opposite of me, eh?! I love my non-canon relationships--oftentimes more than the canon ones.

Quote:
I think if they maybe shared a few more bonding moments, I'd be closer to seeing it.
I wish we did get to see that. It would be have been really interesting to see more layers to their dynamic and to see perhaps why they are so loyal to each other despite their differences.

Quote:
Again, I'm pretty vanilla with relationships, though, heh.
But you do see the Andy/Harold romantic ship at least, right? That one is a lot more canon than Harold/Louise.

Quote:
I'm interested to find out if anyone else can see it.
Me too! Come on, people, don't be shy. Voice your opinions about this adorable Harold/Louise prospect! ^_^
Old 10-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:

Me too! Come on, people, don't be shy. Voice your opinions about this adorable Harold/Louise prospect! ^_^
I don't know about those two...I see Harold having a romantic relationship with Andy more than I do with Harold and Louise! I see Harold and Louise having a respectful work relationship (although Harold is not always totally respectful to Louise)...but I see Louise as kind of putting up with Harold, who often annoys her. I don't see a romantic spark there. Harold respects Louise as his dedicated nurse...but I don't see him having any kind of "hots" for her as a romantic prospect.
Now...Andy!! I see Harold having the "hots" for him!
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I see Harold and Louise having a respectful work relationship (although Harold is not always totally respectful to Louise)...but I see Louise as kind of putting up with Harold, who often annoys her. I don't see a romantic spark there. Harold respects Louise as his dedicated nurse...but I don't see him having any kind of "hots" for her as a romantic prospect.
Well, in the actual show, I see it more as Louise having a crush on Harold than the other way around; I agree that Harold doesn't show much (if any) romantic attraction to Louise. But what I meant was more that he certainly has lots of potential to, in my opinion, if the writers had given more meat to their relationship. The pairing has a lot of classic romance tropes: 1.) Annoyance and banter --> romance. 2.) Long-term friendship --> romance. 3.) Work relationship (especially one of the subordinate/employer nature) --> romance.

Quote:
but I see Louise as kind of putting up with Harold, who often annoys her.
Really? I always thought Louise was more flustered and frazzled by Harold than annoyed. She seems like she usually does genuinely want to please him, but his demands are often a little extreme!

Quote:
Now...Andy!! I see Harold having the "hots" for him!
Ahhh, YES! That's always what I like to hear! So I'm not the only Harold/Andy romantic shipper on this forum after all??
Old 10-26-2011, 12:01 AM
Master Fan

For Harold and Andy, I'll just say that I believe it was Amy who noted that it seemed like Harold had a crush on Andy.

I think that's a fun one. I think the writers had fun with it too...like that crush comment. I mean, come on, totally pandering to the Ho Yay.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 10-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Extreme Fan

Okay, this all belongs on the Harold/Andy thread, but I can't resist...

Quote:
For Harold and Andy, I'll just say that I believe it was Amy who noted that it seemed like Harold had a crush on Andy.
Of course! And did you notice how Harold's reply almost sounded...rehearsed? Like he had thought it over himself before, was not surprised at all by Amy's comment, and was too ready to retort that his "issue with Dr. Brown is neither flirtation nor rivalry".

Quote:
I think the writers had fun with it too...like that crush comment. I mean, come on, totally pandering to the Ho Yay.
Oh, they definitely knew what they were doing. No doubt about it! Another time that it was made really obvious that the writers knew Harold/Andy was indeed a ship was when, in "Connect Four", Bright asked where Harold and Andy were, and Ephram said, "Probably making out".
Old 10-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Of course! And did you notice how Harold's reply almost sounded...rehearsed? Like he had thought it over himself before, was not surprised at all by Amy's comment, and was too ready to retort that his "issue with Dr. Brown is neither flirtation nor rivalry"
Yup, he sure wasn't surprised. I wish we got to hear Rose tease him about it too. That would have been really cute. I like when she teases him, because he's so easy like that.

Quote:
Oh, they definitely knew what they were doing. No doubt about it! Another time that it was made really obvious that the writers knew Harold/Andy was indeed a ship was when, in "Connect Four", Bright asked where Harold and Andy were, and Ephram said, "Probably making out".
Oh, no wonder that's one of your favourite moments! I don't even remember that. Crazy. I'm going to have to rewatch that eppy. Which is never a bad thing, is it?

In terms of Louise and Harold, do you think the writers knew that there were some fans out there of them?

Another case of the writers having a bit of fun with a non-canon shipping is Bright and Delia for me. They played up that crush in a big, fun way during some of S2.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Yup, he sure wasn't surprised. I wish we got to hear Rose tease him about it too. That would have been really cute. I like when she teases him, because he's so easy like that.
Oh, totally!! That would have been priceless. Harold would have been so embarrassed! And poor Rose would think it was all just a joke, when in fact it was a reality.

Quote:
Oh, no wonder that's one of your favourite moments! I don't even remember that. Crazy. I'm going to have to rewatch that eppy. Which is never a bad thing, is it?
Oh, my, you really need to rewatch it! There are tons of Harold/Andy gems in that episode. ^_^

Quote:
In terms of Louise and Harold, do you think the writers knew that there were some fans out there of them?
You know, it's hard to figure out with this pairing. It seems so ripe for shipping in my opinion (for the reasons I mentioned to Betty), but at the same time, there really wasn't much exploration of it or any parts that are undeniably flirtatious in nature.

Quote:
Another case of the writers having a bit of fun with a non-canon shipping is Bright and Delia for me. They played up that crush in a big, fun way during some of S2.
Of course! Definitely a cute pairing; before Hannah arrived on the scene, I actually did think they might end up together someday in the far future.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemony
Oh, totally!! That would have been priceless. Harold would have been so embarrassed! And poor Rose would think it was all just a joke, when in fact it was a reality.
Precisely.

Hey, did Rose ever have anything to say to Louise? Did they ever have a scene? I'm at a blank right now, but I'm sure they did....I just don't know what it was.

Quote:
Oh, my, you really need to rewatch it! There are tons of Harold/Andy gems in that episode. ^_^
I'll get right on it. If we start doing our episode rewatches again someday, that would be a fun episode to quote and include favourite scenes.

Quote:
Of course! Definitely a cute pairing; before Hannah arrived on the scene, I actually did think they might end up together someday in the far future.
I loved the smug smile on Delia's face when she danced with him while all the other girls watched.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Hey, did Rose ever have anything to say to Louise? Did they ever have a scene? I'm at a blank right now, but I'm sure they did....I just don't know what it was.
Good question! I know that they were at least in the same scene together once...the one where Rose comes to Harold's office and they decide to start trying to have another baby and Louise walks in on their make-out session. But as for whether they have actually spoken? I don't actually recall!

Quote:
I'll get right on it. If we start doing our episode rewatches again someday, that would be a fun episode to quote and include favourite scenes.
We totally should do episode rewatches again. And if I watch a season 1 commentary soon, then your task will be to watch "Connect Four" and to specifically look out for all the Harold/Andy HoYay!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Tos, I can't remember Rose ever knowing that Louise was ever even around.
{EphramAmy}
patricia
break the window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:21 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by a creative one (View Post)
Tos, I can't remember Rose ever knowing that Louise was ever even around.
Yes, Harold kept that secret well.

Also, wouldn't it have been funny to see Harold at least "pretend" to be flirtatious with Louise in the episode where Rose and her cancer recovery friend were making him jealous?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Good question! I know that they were at least in the same scene together once...the one where Rose comes to Harold's office and they decide to start trying to have another baby and Louise walks in on their make-out session. But as for whether they have actually spoken? I don't actually recall!
Ah, another missed opportunity for another rare pairing that would have been a lot of fun! If only the episodes were five minutes longer to have all the pairings we wanted to see...

Quote:
We totally should do episode rewatches again. And if I watch a season 1 commentary soon, then your task will be to watch "Connect Four" and to specifically look out for all the Harold/Andy HoYay!
*shakes hands* Deal! Honestly, if we could get enough interest (and it's hard right now with lots of new shows and the holidays coming up), I would personally love to start the rewatches again. Especially for the last two seasons. We've never talked about them all together, plus we'd have you now too.

Quote:
Also, wouldn't it have been funny to see Harold at least "pretend" to be flirtatious with Louise in the episode where Rose and her cancer recovery friend were making him jealous?
Yes! You're going to have to come up with some lines for Harold and Louise to say in front of Rose. *likes putting people on the spot*
Reply   Post New Thread