Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Master Fan

Greg Berlanti's Dirty Sexy Money has had three more scripts picked up!

And here's a random and cute quote from Berlanticakes from the Everwood commentary for "the Pilot": "Is anyone else ooged out by the word 'lover'"?
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 10-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
Greg Berlanti's Dirty Sexy Money has had three more scripts picked up!

And here's a random and cute quote from Berlanticakes from the Everwood commentary for "the Pilot": "Is anyone else ooged out by the word 'lover'"?
Berlanticakes

Awesome news about more scripts being picked up!
Old 12-01-2007, 06:45 AM
New Fan

Random question, but what happened to the banner for this thread? I can't see it anymore
Old 12-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monopoly19 (View Post)
Random question, but what happened to the banner for this thread? I can't see it anymore
Huh. Good question. Not my expertise, but it's definitely gone. Where has my Brillianti gone??? Aw.

BTW: Welcome to the board.

One good thing about le strike is that Eli Stone will debut with a lot more fanfare and will get more of a chance to succeed when it may be a select few of new scripted programming on television. I'm still really excited for it, especially knowing that it's really Berlanti's baby. B&S, DSM, very incredible shows, but just like Everwood and Jack & Bobby, Eli Stone is his brainchild and I just know he'll bring something extra special to it above and beyond what he's already done with B&S and DSM and, c'mon, that's exciting!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 12-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

No idea where the banner went. That's Frenchie aka Alex's bag, I'll ask her about it whenever she surfaces from doing things around her house today. LOL. Thanks for noticing, though, we'll get it sorted out soon.

Tos, great thoughts on Eli Stone. I can't wait to try this show out. It just has to be good considering who the master is that created it.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:23 PM
buffyannAlex

There's something wrong with my website and since it's where the banner is stored, that's why it doesn't appear. I'll fix that soon

Old 12-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffyannAlex (View Post)
There's something wrong with my website and since it's where the banner is stored, that's why it doesn't appear. I'll fix that soon
Awe... no take your time. I know for a fact you have about a million other things on your plate so no rush. I'm impressed enough that you do all these artistic things that I could only dream of doing. LOL. And you make crepes too, my hero, Frenchie. LOL. Hee.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:00 AM
buffyannAlex

your hero ? how cute ^^

They suspended my website I have to do a few stuff to correct this.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

LOL You ARE my hero. It's not exaggerating, it's the complete and total truth.

And awe about your site. Not sure what the suspension means or anything since I know nothing LOL but that sucks.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Master Fan

Aww, Alex , why did they suspend your site??

Quote:
Tos, great thoughts on Eli Stone. I can't wait to try this show out. It just has to be good considering who the master is that created it.
Definitely. I'm also glad he's always trying something different, you know? I mean, he knows small towns and family and generational storylines so well and it'd be so easy for him to keep that going and just rely on what he does best, but he branches out and tries something completely different and interesting. Obviously, it'll be character-based, but it's unique and strange compared to the small-town family dramas that he created with Everwood and Jack & Bobby. I think that's really exciting.

Are you still watching Dirty Sexy Money, Michelle ?
Old 12-08-2007, 02:17 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Hehe, you know that's going to get a reaction out of me.

You know, I totally understand the frustration, the wanting more out of him and others in Everwood and for them to help us. I can't really defend that, I don't really think he owed us that, but I sure would have liked it too.

The thing about it, though, is that Berlanti felt, and this can be argued until the cows come home, that the show was done after the cancellation. That it wasn't coming back, it had no chance to come back, that the CW had made the decision and there was no reversing it. He had already lobbied for the show personally with Dawn Ostroff and (speculation) maybe he felt if that didn't work, nothing would (end speculation) He wanted the focus on the DVD, and he did, actually, encourage that campaign. Maybe he was right, maybe he was not, but this really seems to have been his feelings on it all.

He was much more upset about the way the show was treated during its fourth season than the cancellation. He blamed the WB much more than the CW. Again, right or wrong, or for better or for worse, that seemed to be his feelings.

That's all in the TWOP interview. He seems to take a diplomatic approach to the CW's decision, which I'm sure those who wanted more encouragement from (and CF, you're definitely not the only one) hate to read. It all has to do with being angrier at the WB and feeling that the cancellation was final, it seems.
Hi Tos!

You have given me sooooo much to comment on so here goes....

Quote:
The thing about it, though, is that Berlanti felt…that the show was done after the cancellation.
Comment:
That statement almost borders the profound. Shows are usually “done” after their cancellation.

Quote:
That it wasn't coming back, it had no chance to come back, that the CW had made the decision and there was no reversing it.
Comment:
No chance to come back??? The CW had made the decision and there was no reversing it??? You have to be pulling my leg with this statement, TOS. Can you spell R-E-B-A? Or how about 7-T-H H-E-A-V-E-N??? The CW was notorious for reversing its decisions!

Quote:
He had already lobbied for the show personally with Dawn Ostroff
Comment:
He lobbied? Not in my books, he didn’t. He and Rina Mimoun made what amounted to a business presentation and that was it! They were invited, as were all the other writers/producers of the shows on the WB and that other “no-name” network, to make a presentation on the storylines for Everwood IF it was selected to go to a fifth season or, if you wish, carried over to the new CW Network. That is exactly what occurs with every show on TV when the final year of their contract is expiring and there is a consideration for a renewal. That is NOT lobbying!

Quote:
He (Berlanti) wanted the focus on the DVD and he did, actually, encourage that campaign.
Comment:
Wow! So he wanted the fans to focus on the DVD, did he? Or was his real objective to “turn turtle” and make sure he and his career did not to get caught in an embarrassing position between the fans, many of whom were prepared to lobby intensively for Everwood and the CW who were convinced they had a replacement in the form of Runaway which was destined to capture the hearts of television viewers across America for all of three weeks before it tanked?

In fact, Berlanti tried to discourage the Everwood fans from lobbying the CW. Furthermore, so did Rina Mimoun with her asinine statement that the "sets had already been dismantled" within a few days of the CW announcement that it wasn't carrying Everwood. You know as well as I that the sets had not been dismantled and were later used in another production. With friends on our side like those two, no wonder Everwood was doomed!

Regardless, I never considered his “let us direct our attention to the DVDs” as anything other than a red-herring and an attempt to divert fans away from any lobbying that could potentially place Berlanti or Mimoun between the proverbial “rock and a hard place”. The undisputable fact is that if they participated in an intensive lobby, it would not reflect positively on either of their careers. I can understand them not wanting to get invovled in a lobby , however, they didn't have to shaft us!

And, one thing you don’t seem to acknowledge is Berlanti himself. He creates programs and that is his first love. Once the program is established and well on its way, his interest wanes; he passes the reigns to, in this case, Rina Mimoun and some very mediocre writiers and concentrates on his next project or show.

This is exactly what he did with Everwood and, if memory serves me correctly, there was a lot of criticism on the CW chat board for a short period of time surrounding a noticeable drop in the caliber of writing and lack of continuity in some of the episodes of Season 3.

But, as I said, Berlanti was a creator and while I don’t question he would have liked to have seen Everwood succeed for several more seasons, he was already onto other endeavours that were in the creation stage. In short, he certainly didn’t bust his ass for the four million or more fans who faithfully watched Everwood each week for the four years it ran and for that, a pox on both him and Ostroff.

On another topic, have you come across any of the former chat gang – Shadowmagist, Barrybgb, Louise, etc. I was on the Everwood thread on the CW board a few days ago and it shows very little activity now – too bad, it was enjoyable. Basically, we don’t watch the CW any more as there is very little to impress. Our daughters still watch the Everwood reruns on Vision TV and Smallville on the local network (not the CW). I haven’t really had the time to be on here as much as I would have liked as I passed my bar exams last spring and am now far busier than previously (same firm, different position and still in the Bental complex.

If I don’t chat with you before, do have a Merry Christmas and, if you ever run into Berlanti, give him a lump of coal from our family.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Definitely. I'm also glad he's always trying something different, you know? I mean, he knows small towns and family and generational storylines so well and it'd be so easy for him to keep that going and just rely on what he does best, but he branches out and tries something completely different and interesting. Obviously, it'll be character-based, but it's unique and strange compared to the small-town family dramas that he created with Everwood and Jack & Bobby. I think that's really exciting.
Exactly! Such a great observation. I think this all got started whenever his buddy, Kevin Williamson, created Dawson's Creek, which took place in a small town and Berlanti worked on this show, too. I like to call this show as "Berlanti's warm up" since I love using sports in everything I think and do, hee... so Berlanti working on Creek was his pre Everwood greatness time period. LOL. And I say this to anyone who will listen, every episode Berlanti wrote on Dawson's Creek are my all time favorite episodes. Kevin wrote some great ones as well, so ANYTHING with Greg and Kevin's name attached to it as the writers were hands down the best Creek episodes ever created in my mind. So I feel like Berlanti took what he learned from Creek then went on to create the magic that was Everwood... so in my mind every Everwood fan is grateful Berlanti worked on Creek because I guarantee that's what got his feet wet, got his eyes nice and wide, filled with hope, and his mouth watering, for the chance to create a show of his own, bam there came beautiful Everwood and the rest was history.

This new show seems completely different. You absolutely know it will still be character-based but completely different than Berlanti's norm. I love that he's going with this variety because there's no doubt in my mind he's going to hit a home run no matter what he creates!

Quote:
Are you still watching Dirty Sexy Money, Michelle ?
I am. It's one of those shows I love and chronically tune in, but I don't have a heck of a lot to say about it on OT2, sort of like Pushing Daisies. Both shows I adore but I don't babble on about them in writing like my novels I create for Brothers And Sisters. But, you bet, I'm still watching! Wednesday night has an awesome line up!

ETA: Just noticed the banner's back up, thanks computer geek, creative, artistic, brilliant, Frenchie!

Last edited by jediwands; 12-08-2007 at 08:11 AM
Old 12-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Master Fan

Hey CF.

Quote:
Quote:
The thing about it, though, is that Berlanti felt…that the show was done after the cancellation.
Comment:
That statement almost borders the profound. Shows are usually “done” after their cancellation.
And yet, the whole point of your comments is that the show wasn't "done" after the cancellation and that Berlanti didn't do enough after it was "done".

Frankly, I would have liked if we all had listened to Berlanti about the DVDs and trying to get those. Even if he wasn't doing it for the most noble reasons, I still regret not trying more for those. Look at us more than a year later. Our show isn't back, it's on syndication in one country, we have one DVD while Warner Home Video strings us along telling us about "music substitution", and we're STILL trying to get the show back on the air (on ABC Family, this time), and we're STILL fighting for the DVDs. Whether or not Berlanti was discouraging fans from lobbying, or whether he did enough himself, he sure wasn't wrong about those DVDs keeping a legacy for the show and letting the show live on. Knowing what I know now, I definitely would have wanted to do more for the DVDs than trying to get the show back on the air.

Shadow posts on the TWOP Everwood thread at times. Barry is over at tv.com's Everwood forum more often these days. Detritus is here. Other than that, I have no idea where everyone else is.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas too. And I wish I could run into Berlanti, even if it was to give him coal. "OMG BRILLIANTI" while he runs away screaming.

---

I still need to check out Dawson's Creek! Or at least Berlanti's episodes. Maybe with the strike, I'll get a chance to check 'em out. I think I should, since I've such a fanboy and all. Hehe. I definitely want to see his starting point, the "warm up" (such a great label for it!). Did Rina write for it too? Any idea how good her episodes were? Not that I want you to go back and have to watch them all again!

Quote:
I am. It's one of those shows I love and chronically tune in, but I don't have a heck of a lot to say about it on OT2, sort of like Pushing Daisies. Both shows I adore but I don't babble on about them in writing like my novels I create for Brothers And Sisters. But, you bet, I'm still watching! Wednesday night has an awesome line up!
I think we could compile a book of B&S reviews! If that show ever gets in trouble with the networks (and that seems unlikely anytime soon), we'll have to print out our comments and send them in a big book to let them know..I don't know, that we both watched it!

I know what you mean about PD and DSM. I don't really have a lot to say about them either other than I love them! I don't watch them the same way I watch B&S or how I watched Everwood. These ones, I can kind of do other things at the same time or not really have my mind completely on the show for the whole hour. That's a big no-no with B&S or Everwood.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:32 AM
buffyannAlex

The episode of Dawson's Creek Berlanti wrote are :

207- The All-Nighter
211 - Sex, She Wrote (WoWriter with Mike White)
214 - To Be Or Not To Be ... (1)
215 - ... That Is The Question (2) (CoWriter with Kevin Williamson)
220 - Reunited
222- Parental Discretion Advised
302 - Homecoming
306 - Secrets and Lies (CoWriter with Alex Gansa)
316 - To Green, With Love (CoWriter with Gina Fattore)
401 - Coming Home

The "To be or not to be, that is the question" episodes are the one where the character Jack is discovering that he's gay and has to suffer some forms or bashing at school.

Rina also wrote a few episodes on Dawson's Creek :

421 - Separation Anxiety
505 - Use Your Disillusion
513 - Something Wilder
519 - 100 Light Years From Home

Though those episodes probably weren't the best because we all know how much season 5 sucked...

Old 12-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:

I think we could compile a book of B&S reviews! If that show ever gets in trouble with the networks (and that seems unlikely anytime soon), we'll have to print out our comments and send them in a big book to let them know..I don't know, that we both watched it!
Hahahaha Honestly, we write reviews, novels, and due to our level of obsession if necessary we should pass on over our "pieces of art" if the show's ever in trouble as we can demonstrate that some fans have made a career out of writing novels for the show so that has to say something.

Quote:
I know what you mean about PD and DSM. I don't really have a lot to say about them either other than I love them! I don't watch them the same way I watch B&S or how I watched Everwood. These ones, I can kind of do other things at the same time or not really have my mind completely on the show for the whole hour. That's a big no-no with B&S or Everwood.
LOL! Exactly! God that's SO TRUE. Seriously. I totally can do more than one thing while watching PD and DSM but it's absolutely OUT of the question for Everwood or B&S. Man I had a ritual going on with Everwood where before I even posted on this very board, I would watch the episode live THEN rewatch a second time just in case I missed something THEN I'd finally post my thoughts on the episode. For real.

Thanks Alex for posting the episodes both Berlanti and Rina wrote.

Going through the episodes:

207- The All-Nighter = Thought by many as the BEST Creek episode ever created. Berlanti's hands were all over it.

211 - Sex, She Wrote (WoWriter with Mike White) = One of the best as well! Come on, the unity within the group, the beautiful Pacey/Andie story? The best.

214 - To Be Or Not To Be ... (1)
215 - ... That Is The Question (2) (CoWriter with Kevin Williamson)
= Think about the time period this came out. Whenever homosexuality was still way in the closest as far as shows hitting this topic, tackling it head on, showing how normal this is for many teens and, well, anyone for that matter. Both Berlanti and Kevin hit a home run with this two parter. Outstanding stuff.

220 - Reunited = Love it. I was a fan of Dawson/Joey so I enjoyed this one.

222- Parental Discretion Advised = Well written even if I didn't like what transpired between DJ to make way for PJ but something tells me that was out of Berlanti's hands since he always thought DJ deserved the happy romantic ending and he said as much.

The other episodes were quite good as well but the ones I just talked about were so good.

Rina's episodes, I can't say I'm a huge fan of those episodes, 513 - Something Wilder... seriously? Joey and the Professor. Good Lord.

And so true, Alex, season 5 sucked rocks, man.

Last edited by jediwands; 12-10-2007 at 06:35 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread