Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
I can be certain that Amy will put her foot down and tell Ephram that no son of theirs will be named Ephram or Wendell!!
Hee! Definitely. And Ephram will put his foot down that there will be no baby named Colin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna
I liked the conversation between Amy and Edna. Amy said she didn't want to hurt Ephram's feelings. And Edna's response: 'It's not easy to care about someone when the whole world is telling you not to.' That is sooo true
Doesn't that sum up them up so well? What Amy has to go through to care for Ephram when everyone is telling her that he's some freak. That's a lot for a teenage girl to handle, and I think it speaks to Amy's strength and also how unique Ephram is that she keeps going even with all that.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 08-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

i'm writing an E/A fic, here's what I got so far.

______

County High 10 Year High School Reunion….

Ephram looked at the items separated into piles. Morning, afternoon and night. Amy was always very considerate when thinking about what both of them needed all day long. Nothing was ever out of place.

“Ephram, don’t forget to grab the towels from the laundry and pack it before we go.”
“Amy, dad and Nina have towels at the house.”
“I know, but I like our towels. They use too much starch and always feel weird. I like our towels.”
“But we won’t have room for everything, like we never do. There’s always a compromise. Towels are towels, we’re not going to use them more than once.”
“I read an article that if towels aren't washed correctly, they do not appear dirty. Do you know how many diseases could be on towels because they’re not cleaned once a day.”
“No, but I bet you’ll tell me.”
“Fine, I’ll do it then.” She stomped out of the room almost leaving a draft afterwards.

That afternoon, the car was packed. Ephram and Amy were returning to Everwood for the County High’s ten year reunion. They had been living in Nebraska for Ephram’s career and Amy wrote a column in the Nebraska Times. They had a good life.

Amy’s phone, she smiled at the familiar ring tone.

“Hey Doctor Brown.”
“I thought when you married my son that the whole Doctor Brown business was over. Call me Dad.”
“I'm still getting used to it. I just feel like that little girl in Everwood who used to talk about Ephram all the time and you were the only one who didn’t mind.”
“Things have changed. And how is my son?”
“He’s good, we’re just getting things together for the drive down.”
“I told Ephram I would pay for the tickets to fly you up here. The weather is supposed to be really where you're travelling when you go back. I don’t want you to get caught in any bad weather.”
“A drive to Everwood, getting away from the city is what we need. It’s so loud and noisy, the nice calming of a long car ride will be nice.”
“Well okay. I’ll see you tonight then.”
“Okay, bye.”

Her smile was turned upside down.

“Ephram!”
“Yeah?”
Amy heard him from the other side of the hall, she walked down to him. “Did you forget to mention that your dad offered to fly us to Everwood?”
“You wanted to drive, I didn’t want to mess with that.”
“Ephram, a car ride to Pennsylvania I would’ve said no to flying to. A car ride from Nebraska to Everwood? It’s like…”
He pulled the directions out of his pocket. “For you, dear, it’s about eleven hours and ten minutes with the mileage of seven-hundred and forty-two miles one way.”
“What was that for.”
“You like everything in details, I did what you asked.”
“Fine, for the sake of the umpteenth argument for this morning, fine.”
“A little piece of probably useless information for you. I wasn’t thinking of me. I was thinking of us. Maybe a little bit of alone time, yeah, in a car where we can’t jet off to our quiet spots while our anger cools off. A place to talk things out, maybe find out what we like about each other and not fight about what we have come to hate about each other.”
“So there’s some of that left, stuff to talk about?”
“Here’s the deal. We don’t pretend everything is happy when it’s not but not lay out our problems on everyone else. And see what happens. And if we still feel the same right now then I’ll sign the papers and we’ll go on with our lives. Okay?”
“Okay.”

Amy pulled the papers out of the manila envelope. “Bill of divorcement.”

“He’s here, he’s here!” The little girl with bouncy brown hair came flying down the stairs. “He’s home.”
Andy came around the kitchen, following the little girl. “Let me guess, Ephram?”
“Yeah, how’d you know.”
“Because every time your big brother visits, you run around the house like a dog who just saw snow for the first time. Did you say hello to Delia when she came in.”
“She was here for like five seconds and went to visit a friend. Ephram always stays.”
“True.”

The door opened and Ephram peeked his head in. I guess I have the wrong house, I mean my little sister can’t be that big!”
“Ephram, daddy sent you a picture of me.”
“But that was like months ago, you have grown so much.” He picked the little girl up and she sat on his shoulders.
“It happens, you weren’t always like a billion feet tall when you were born.”
Andy interrupted. “Of course he was. I didn’t’ become the doctor I am today if it wasn’t for the difficult birth of a full six-foot boy.”
“Hmm, that’s how mom always told it.”
“Your mother embellished you. Where’s Amy?”
“Uh, I guess she called her friend at home, say that we arrived okay.”
“How was the drive.”
Ephram made a face. “Peachy?”
Nina threw the wet towel in the laundry room. “Ephram, you finally made it. didn’t you fly?”
“Calmness of a drive and not stuffiness of the airport and flying. Seemed like a good idea.”
“Amy about to scratch her eyes out.”
“No, but mine are probably on that list.”
“I’m sure she’ll be okay with a few hours out of the car.”
“And some sort of miracle.” Ephram thought to himself.

Ten minutes after Ephram settled in and was playing with his little sister, Amy came in carrying her duffle and a smaller bag.

“Hey everyone.” She made a small wave.
Nina took her bag. “Come on in, I hope the phone call was worth spending it out in the snow.”
“Not so bad. I’m used to cold weather.”
“How was the drive?”
Amy hesitated. “Interesting.”
“Oh, well, go on in and Andy and I will finish dinner.”
“Sounds wonderful.

Nina stood next to Andy in the kitchen, whispering.

“Please tell me you know something.”\
“Should I?”
“Either I creating something in my head or things aren’t going so great between Ephram and Amy. Has he talked to you?”
“No, because I learned a long time ago to never ask about my son’s relationships.”
“We have to get involved.”
“What, because you have a feeling?”
“Look at them, right now. They are on two different worlds. Yeah, same couch physically, but Amy is like in a different zone. I’m surprised they arrived to Everwood alive.”
“You think it’s that serious?”
“Yeah, I do. And before they go back home, we’re gonna fix this. Sleepless nights, a lot of coffee, we’re gonna do this.”
“Wow, being married to you sounds like my first year of being a resident.”
“Funny. But we need to get them back on track. Or our daughter is going to be miserable because she will never know what a real marriage is like.”
“She’s around us, we have a great marriage.”
“But she’s eight. Soon she’ll have friends, go to their houses, Their families will fight and she’ll have this whole obscure world of people hating each other.”

They all sat down at the table. Amy waited for Ephram to pull the chair out for her like he did when they first were married, but she was left standing after everyone had sat down.

“I’ll say grace.”
Andy was going to say something, but he saw the look on Nina’s face and put on a smile. “Yes, Grace.”
“Please Father bless everyone at this table with the love and warmth that is felt everyday in this house. And please help those in need to find their way even if they need a road map.” She looked up. “Amen.”
Delia smield at Ephram. “Dad didn’t make his horrible stuffing this year.”
“Hey, I take pride in that stuffing.”
Nina laughed. “You should, it takes you an hour to make instant stuffing.”
“I can perform heart surgeries in record time, I can save lives. I’m not going to save a life with my stuffing.”
“Whatever you say, Doctor Brown.”
“Thank you, Mrs. Brown.”
“So, Ephram, how did the first day back at school go?”
“It went good. It really works with the kids who think I’m one of the students in the beginning and then I go up and start teaching. It’s a relatable thing, like I’m one of them or something.”
“My principle. liked the column you wrote, Amy, about teachers not being appreciated.” Delia smiled.
“When did you show it to her?”
“Last week. I told her you were visiting and she wants to meet you.”
“Oh, that’s nice.”
“I already told her tomorrow, if that’s okay?”
“Yeah, sure.”

They were all talking accept Amy who was just looking around, observing everything. Ephram nodded towards the back porch, Amy got up and walked outside.

“We’ll be back.”
Amy looked up at Ephram. “How long is this gonna go on?”
“Exactly what do you mean? The endless silent treatment you have towards me, the utter discomfort of even being here is noticed by everyone else. I’m losing track.”
“Why did we come here? It’s not like going back to County High is going to change anything.”
“Maybe we can remember who we were?”
“The obsessed girl who followed Colin Hart around wherever he went. The guy who never really loved any girl, but couldn’t stand to be alone. Match made in heaven.”
“You seemed to think so when you said yes.”
“That’s before we turned into who we are now?”
“And who is that exactly?”
“People we have come to hate. I never imagined being married to you would make me hate myself. But it does.”
“Wow, that’s probably the worst one this week. I mean you do whatever you can to destroy what dignity this marriage has left and you wonder why we can’t make it work. Amy, I can now say, without my heart skipping a beat that you are the last person I want to be in a relationship. So when we get home, I’ll sign the papers.
“Okay.”
{EphramAmy}
patricia

Last edited by break the window; 08-16-2010 at 12:57 AM
Old 08-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Master Fan

Oh, that's a depressing cliffhanger! Although it'll be interesting to see how things got to that point, because I know how hard it would be for all of us to imagine them like that.

You've got everyone down pat, Patricia. Nina picking up on things, Amy being cutely obsessed, Ephram being a little more mellow, Andy being cheesy, etc. Nicely done!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 08-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

OMG, Patricia...that is very well written...but Amy and Ephram!!! I don't know if I like them like this. This can't happen to them!! They love each other. Let's see what you have in store for them next.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've always wanted to put some sort of odds with them where they get to really be mad at each other and where I can write some really bitter scenes

___

next....

A whole day passed with Amy and Ephram having everyone on eggshells.

“Dad, can I talk to you?” Ephram stood at Andy’s office.
“Sure, what’s on your mind?”
“I think you know the answer to that question. Silence follows wherever Amy and I walk.”
“I didn’t want you to think everyone noticed.”
“Delia laid it on me before bed last night.”
“She was always like your mother, straight forward.”
“I didn’t want to ask this in front of Nina.” Ephram got up and shut the door. “If mom didn’t die and we were still in New York, do you think you would have made it work?”
“I used to ask myself that question everyday when we first got to Everwood.> I don’t really have an answer. I stopped working long hours and was home more after your mother died and we moved to Everwood. I was so focused on being a great doctor I forgot how to be an average father.”
“If you had the chance, would you?”
“I wouldn’t have Nina, you wouldn’t have met Amy and Bright, and you definitely wouldn’t have another sister.”
“You never know.”
“Julia made sure we would never have anymore children after Delia was born.”
“Oh.”
“So what part of that question was about Amy?”
“All of it.”
“I remember you and Amy in Everwood being happier than anyone I knew. You were in love with each other. What happened.”
“It’s the Brown family syndrome. We moved to Nebraska, I started teaching and spending all my time trying to educate kids on music and Amy is writing and researching for her column all the time. We live in the same house but we never see each other.”
“Do you manage to have dinner together.”
“Yeah, dinner at the house usually consists of takeout from a place that doesn’t guess we’re having problems.”
“When did this start, do you remember?”
“When I realized that Amy resents part of me for having a baby with Madison.”
“Resentment?”
“Two years after we got married, a couple that we’re friends with had a baby. We talked about it and decided that having a baby would be a good thing. So we tried for a really long time. And it became like a burden. Having to…”
Ephram cleared his throat. “Yeah, well, it stressed us out. We stopped trying and figured it would happen. We haven’t…been together…since.”
“How long is ‘since’?”
“I don’t know anymore. I think we actually avoid each other at this point. I haven’t.”
“I think you just need to talk to each other. All of this avoiding each other, fighting, it’s making things worse. There has to be common ground?”
“Common ground.” Ephram thought about his next words. “Did you know that I found out with condolences that Amy lost our baby.”
“Ephram, women who…”
“I never knew she was pregnant, Dad!”
“I’m happy you came to me, but I’m not your problem solver Ephram<, and I don’t want to be. You only know what to do to fix your marriage. And talking to me about it isn’t helping.”
“I don’t know what to do.”
“Do you love her?”
“Yeah.”
“Then fight for her. Just like you did with Colin, Tommy and whoever else came between you two. It’s always been the two of you and you finally made it work. Go back to that. What got you together in the first place?”
“A Ferris wheel outside my dorm.”
“Amy is more eccentric than that. Flowers always worked for your mother.”

Delia sat down in front of Amy at Mama Joy’s.

“Are you okay?”
Amy’s eyes look up from her reading. “Yeah, why?”
“Then why are you and Ephram fighting?”
“We’re not fighting.”
“Really? I grew up on fighting parents, I know fighting.”
“It’s hard to explain?”
“Is it about sex?”
Amy spit her soda back in the cup. “No, it’s not and don’t ask those questions.”
“What is it about?”
“Grown up stuff.”
“Grown up? I’m about to move to the other side of the country for college, I think I can deal.”
“No offense Delia, but this is something I’d probably talk to my grandmother about.”
“I figured you say that.”

Delia got off the seat and Amy saw her grandmother staring back at her.

“I so got set up.”
“I’m afraid so.” Edna switched to Amy’s table. “What’s on your mind soldier?”
“I love Ephram and I know I want to spend every day of my life with him. But we can’t make it work anymore. All we do is fight and when we’re not fighting we’re on eggshells trying not to make each other angry to start a fight. We’re losing.”
“What are you fighting about?”
“What don’t we fight about is the right questions. When we moved away from Everwood, it felt good. We both saw our family growing and Ephram’s teaching now, inspiring kids. And I’m writing for the local paper. On the outside we’re this cookie-cutter couple. On the inside, it’s a complete disaster. I don’t want to lose him Grandma. But I don’t know how to hold on to him either.”
“Hmm, that sounds exactly like me and Junior, except we’re not married. Maybe you need some time apart, not like separation, but just a few hours, or a few days.”
“I don’t think that’s going to help. We barely see each other now and that doesn’t help. It’s like we don’t miss each other anymore.”
“That’s obvious. You don’t miss the constant bickering and belittling you do to each other, who would. But you do miss your husband, you miss the way he makes you feel, am I right?”
“You’re nailing the wall just fine.”
“I’m going to talk to your in-laws and parents to see about doing something.”
“What?”
“It’s a surprise. You’ll know by dinner.”
“What do I do until then.”
“Think about what you’re going to wear to dinner.”

Nina threw the laundry in the basket before opening the door.

“Edna Harper at my door, how about that.”
“Where’s the other half?” Edna invited herself in, standing beside the couch.
“At the office, what’s up?”
“Operation Mr. And Mrs. Brown.”
“I’m assuming you mean Ephram and Amy.”
“Of course, why would I mean you and Andy?”
“No reason, so what’s your plan.”
“I’m assuming you know they’re less than perfect.”
“Are you kidding, I’m ready to scream with the tension they bring.”
“As I suspected. Delia told me about the tension in the house and Amy told me about the problems her and Ephram are having and I think I have a solution.”
“I’m all ears.”

They sat at the table drawing out a map of the next four days Ephram and Amy would be in Everwood before the reunion.

“This looks like a road map, are you sure this is going to work.”
“I attended a very nice wedding of my granddaughter and grandson0-in-law, I’m not about to remember the good times and come up short. With this plan, they’ll be ready for a second honeymoon by the time they leave. Now, let’s explain the plan, again.”
“Alright. We have to get them back to square one, where they met, how they fell in love. Then we can set up a series of dates that they can go on, remembering the little things about each other that they love and still love about each other. And little by little things will fall back into place.”
“I was thinking more of a confrontation.”
“That would just lead to a fight, they’ve done enough of that. We need to get these kids to fall in love…all over again.”

They shook hands.

Amy saw her bags packed at the table.

“What is this?”
“Oh, Edna said you were going to stay at her house for a few days. Since your parents aren’t in Everwood anymore, she’d like to spend time with only family member who visits.” Andy flashed his doctor smile.
“Why wasn’t I told about this?”
“I don’t know, don’t you just hate when that happens?”
Amy turned around and gave Ephram a look. “What was that about?”
“I mean you come across something that was decided for you, kind of sucks doesn’t it. Karma sucks too, don’t you think?”
“Wow, that’s pretty harsh, award winning harsh>.”
Nina came out of the kitchen as the door opened. “Edna!”

“Is the soldier all ready to go.”
“She sure is. I even packed some extra CDs in case she gets bored.”
“Good thinking.”
“Wait this is for real, why am I leaving?”
Edna came closer. “To save yourself.”
Ephram stood beside Amy. “Wait, you’re actually taking her, why?”
Edna saw the look in Ephram’s eyes and then Amy‘s. “Now I know I’m doing the right thing.
Ephram took the bag away from Edna. “You can’t do this. She doesn’t want to go, you can’t make her go.”
“What are you gonna do about it?”
“I’m her husband.”
“Then why the hell don’t you start acting like it.” Edna grabbed the bag back and walked out of the house.
Amy turned around and her eyes met Nina. “You planned this. You planned for me to get kidnapped by my grandmother?”
“Orchistrated. There was no real plan. The only plan is to get your marriage from breaking apart.”
“It’s just…”
“What? Because your husband had to go through years of what this marriage is going through right now. Back then he only had a ring side seat, and right now he’s in the ring. Do you realize how hard he had it before even moving to Everwood? His parents fighting, his father was non-existent and then his mother dies and he gets shipped off to another part of the country and he can’t seem to figure out why. Don’t do this to him Amy. Don’t let him become what Andy fought so hard to overcome.”
“But I still don’t get why I’m being moved to my grandmothers.”
“You’ll see.”
“I guess I’ll have to. Grandma his my toothbrush.”

The next morning Amy woke up in her room of Edna’s house. It was exactly as she remembered it looked when she woke up. The sun shining in the window and her knowing everything is okay. She ran downstairs and smelled breakfast.

“Aww, your famous eggs, bacon and pancakes.”
“That’s right, private.”
“I wonder what Ephram’s having for breakfast.”
“You’ll find out later.”
“What is with this secrecy. Do I not get to see Ephram until we leave?”
“No, but think back when you were in high school and you were living with me and not your parents.”
“SO I’m seeing Ephram between the hours of noon and eleven p.m. And I have to make sure all my homework is done and I’ve studied for my upcoming tests.”
“Funny, but in the same sense.”
“At this point, I’ll do anything to get him back to who he was.”
“This isn’t just for Ephram, this is for you to remember who you were.”
“I don’t know who that is anymore. I became Mrs. Ephram Brown and I became a new person.”
“Maybe that’s the problem. You both became what you thought you had to be and that version of you isn’t so attractive anymore.”
{“I know I don’t like myself too much these days.”
“And I know that it’s cliché, but it’s true. For someone to love you, to really love, you have to love yourself.”
“No wonder Ephram hates me.”
“That boy waited for you, even when Colin Hart was alive, he waited for you when you were going through that phase with Tommy and whoever else you went through a phase with. Ephram has loved you since the first day he met you, even a blind person could see it.”

Ephram walked into the kitchen still in his pajamas, leaned up against the counter.

“I know this isn’t the work of my dad, so spill.”
“Do you miss her.”
“Not what I asked, but yes, I do.”
{EphramAmy}
patricia

Last edited by break the window; 08-17-2010 at 12:59 AM
Old 08-17-2010, 07:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Patrica....I'm so loving this story! You've got Edna's mannerisms down pat....and Ephram's throat clearing...perfect!
I like the way this part is heading so much more than the previous part!!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Master Fan

Aw, I loved that, Patricia. You really do have a talent there. I especially liked that first conversation with Andy and Ephram. I think that could be on the show, you know? It feels very them. Including Andy being a little cheesy at times.

Quote:
“I used to ask myself that question everyday when we first got to Everwood.> I don’t really have an answer. I stopped working long hours and was home more after your mother died and we moved to Everwood. I was so focused on being a great doctor I forgot how to be an average father.”
“If you had the chance, would you?”
“I wouldn’t have Nina, you wouldn’t have met Amy and Bright, and you definitely wouldn’t have another sister.”
I mean, that's totally Andy. And you've got everyone down pat too, but Andy isn't easy and you've got him.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

*takes a bow*

thank you very much.

___

Ephram walked into the kitchen still in his pajamas, leaned up against the counter.

“I know this isn’t the work of my dad, so spill.”
“Do you miss her.”
“That’s not what I asked, but yes, I do.”
“Then that’s a start.”
“What is this about…shipping Amy off to her grandmothers.”
“Act of desperation. You two need to remember who you were before you got married.”
“Is it that obvious?”
“Yeah. The tension in this house is at an all time high. And that’s more than the time Andy decided to bake and almost burn down the kitchen.”
“He doesn’t know how to use the oven except to put things in and take things out.”
“Exactly. The house reeked of old chicken for weeks. We did a lot of take out.”
“So you think this is going to work?”
“It all depends if you and Amy are willing to go along with it.” Nina handed him the phone.
“What’s that for?”
“Call her, ask her out.”
Ephram smiled. “The girl I am asking out on a date has been my wife for two years. Why is it that my palms are still sweating and my heart racing.”
“Well, that’s step one. You’re still in love with her and you’re nervous that she might say no.”
“Whoever said marrying your high school girlfriend was easy never married their high school girlfriend.”

Ephram was standing in the middle of his room, looking out the window. With each ring tone Ephram’s hands were shaking and his heart was still racing. The girl still had a major affect on him.

“Hello.”
“Hey Amy.”
“Good morning Ephram.”
“Did you sleep well?”
“Sleep well as in thinking about you all night, then yeah.”
Ephram’s heart was racing, he couldn’t even think of what to say. “So…are you…do you have any plans tonight?”
“Not as of yet, what’s up?”
“There’s a thing tonight, some festival thing.”
“I thought you hated those.”
“I thought it might be fun, are you in?”
“Well, I do have some homework to do and I’ll ask my grandmother if I can stay out late.”
Ephram laughed at her humor. “Yeah, I think I can sneak out of the house without my dad noticing.”
“Sneaky boy.”
“I never got caught.”
“I’m pretty sure we can use the front door this time.”
“And risk the fun of actually feeling like seeing each other on a school night would get us in trouble.”
“Alright, you’re on. I’ll be ready at six.”
“And I’ll be there at six.”
“It’s a date.”

Andy and Nina were sitting on the couch with Emily and Sam in between them.

“Hey, dad, can I borrow the car tonight?”
“What for?”
“I’m gonna pick up Amy.”
“What’s going on?”
“Some fest that the town goes crazy for.”
“Keys are on the table, be back by midnight.”
“Dad…”
“You heard your father.” Nina called out.
“I now wonder why you two didn’t get married sooner. You have this co-parenting thing down without even trying.”
“Have fun.”

They both waited for the door to shut.

“Well it feels like he’s still in high school. But without the constant arguing about how I’m unfair and never let him go anywhere, I still can’t get the high school feeling totally back.”
“He does seem happier, not spreading the awful mood around the house.”
“I just hope it works. It’s risky.”
“Why, it’s perfect. They can remember how they were when they dated.”
“Do you remember what happened when they dated. Accusing each other of lying and never finding the time to actually have a relationship without something getting in the way. I’m just worried they’ll get comfortable without each other.”
“Then they weren’t meant to be, Andy.”
“I guess.”

Edna saw Ephram at the door through the large window. He was right on time.

“Hey Ephram, nice of you to knock and not sneak through the upstairs window.”
“What would be the point of getting caught, it’s not like I’m already married to Amy.”
“And let’s keep it that way.” Edna stood on the bottom step of the stairs. “Amy, your date is here.”
Ephram smiled and thought to himself. “Date.”

Amy came down bouncing and smiling, Ephram was captivated with her look.

“You look great.”
“Thanks Ephram.” She stood there, waiting through the awkward tension. “I guess we should go. I have a curfew.”
“Oh really, and what time does the princess turn into a pumpkin.”
“Eleven.”
Ephram laughed. “I got an extra hour.”
“Your dad is so a pushover.” She took his hand as they walked to the car.
“You couldn’t get her to budge an hour.”
“No such luck, apparently grandma believes in the old fashioned courting.”
“That’s the exact word Nina said to me this morning.”
Amy got comfortable in the passenger seat. “Just like old times. You driving your dad’s car, we having curfews. I almost get worried there’s still homework I haven’t finished.”
“Don’t mention anything, I’m sure Nina could help with that.”
“So how is Nina, the step mom, working out?”
“She’s great. My dad is this calm guy, even when Sam is running around screaming. I never thought I would…or could see that side of him.”
“What about Emily?”
“During the middle of the night I woke up to find her curled up next to me in the bed.”
“That’s so sweet.”
“Not really, I didn’t want to disturb her so I slept like log, straight and narrow.”

They arrived at the festival. It was the Octoberfest. A complete redo of the Oktoberfest in the big city.

“It’s good to see Everwood never changes.”
“Did you expect it to Ephram?”
“Just a little would be nice, like the color of the hay not being green because they don’t have enough volunteers to paint it just before Christmas.”
“Green Hay, it’s cute. It’s a total Everwood original.”
“And shall never be duplicated.”
“That I do agree with.”

They were walking and Amy immediately stopped and looked around..

“What?” Ephram looked around. “I don’t get it.”
“It was right here. The moment you told me that everything was going to be okay. We had this fight and I was feeling really down and you just held me and said everything would be okay. And that was the first time that I felt like everything was really going to be okay.”
“Do you still feel that way now?”
“I’m starting to.”
Ephram started to walk again and noticed Amy was still standing in the same spot. “Are you coming?”
“Look up.” Amy waited for Ephram’s eyes to find what she was looking at. “Mistletoe.”
“In October, that’s really…pushing it.”
“Mistletoe in October or not, you still owe me a kiss.”
“You planned this.” He started to smile.
“No, but I could take credit for it if you let me.”
He stood right with her, under the mistletoe. “Do you think anyone would notice if I didn’t kiss you under the mistletoe?”
“What, what do you mean?”
“I could never just kiss you Amy, you know that. Why don’t we take this little experiment that my step mom and your grandmother put together and see what happens. No sex at all.”
“Wait kissing is not sex, Ephram.”
“I know but…damn…kissing you is just never enough.” He took both her hands. “Ferris wheel?”
“Definitely.”

After everyone had gone home, Ephram and Amy were sitting on a bench just outside the entrance of the October Fest.

“This was nice.” Amy smiled, feeling Ephram kiss on her the top of her head.
“Getting back to who we were, here in Everwood, yeah, it is nice.”
“Would you blame me if I never wanted to leave this bench.”
“No, I’d actually sit here with you.”
“Good.” She snuggled up to him.
“But you know, in reality, getting up would be a good idea.”
“Yeah…what time is it?”
Ephram checked his watch. “We have about twenty minutes.”
“Yeah, I guess reality waits.”

They both got up and saw someone walking around.

“Is that who I think it is.”
The woman came closer into Ephram’s view. “Madison?”
{EphramAmy}
patricia

Last edited by break the window; 08-18-2010 at 02:39 AM
Old 08-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That was adorable, Patricia...until the last sentence.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I know, I have to set up the drama about why Ephram/Amy don't work

____

Amy used her key and opened up the door to Andy and Nina’s home…she found Nina in the master bedroom playing with Emily.

“Is it okay for me to come over? I don’t know the rules of this arrangement.”
“It’s fine. Andy and Ephram are out for the day, what’s up?”
“Why is it that when things are great, like really great something always happens?”
“I heard that Madison’s in town.”
“Ephram told you?”
“I tried not to listen, but I did hear Ephram talking to Andy about you two seeing Madison.”
“How can we get things back on track if the past keeps haunting us.”
“That’s where you have to know that the past doesn’t matter in the present and certainly not the future. You know, in your heart, that Ephram doesn’t feel anything for Madison.”
“Yeah, they had something a long time ago.”
“Yeah, that happened to result in something else.”
“I try so hard not to think about it. Is that wrong? To pretend that Ephram didn’t have a baby with Madison and not recognize his son exists?”
“Well no, but you’re just going to be setting yourself up for heartbreak. That little boy will always be apart of Ephram.”
“And that’s what’s always in my head. Ephram is a father and…” She swallowed the tears. “And…” She stood up. “It doesn’t matter.”
“It looks like it matters to you.”
“I have no right to feel anything towards Ephram being a father. I’m not…” Amy took a deep breath. “I’m not apart of Ephram’s life in that way.”
“You can be.”
“No, I can’t. I’m not apart of that boy’s life and I won’t ever be and when that kid grows up and runs to his dad when he makes a soccer goal or gets a good grade on a hard test or…God, even graduates high school. He’s going to go to Ephram, his dad…and to Madison, his mom. And where does that leave me?”
“Apparently alone.”
“How can I fix that? I can’t.”
“You can only fix what’s broken. You and Ephram are not broken, Amy.” She stood with Amy, holding her hands. “You are apart of Ephram in so many ways that you have yet to discover. You are not only Mrs. Ephram Brown, you are the confidant in his life. The person he wants to go to with the best news of his life and sometimes the worst. He knows you’ll be there.”
“What if I don’t want to be?”
“What do you mean?”
“If I’m like this right now, not feeling apart of Ephram’s life, what’s going to happen when that kid does graduate high school. What if I never feel apart of Ephram’s life?” Amy hid her face and walked out of the room.

Ephram showed up at Edna’s house. He was looking forward to another date…feeling like they were teenagers again.

Edna greeted him with a sad face. “Hey soldier.”
“Amy home?”
“She doesn’t want to see you, and I don’t think she should.”
“What’s wrong, if there’s something wrong with her, then I need to be there.”
“I don’t think so.”
“So you expect me to leave my wife who needs me because you say she doesn’t want to see me.”
“Yes, exactly. This is the tough love part of a marriage. Sometimes you can’t heal the ones you love.”
“Then what am I supposed to do until then?”
Amy called out from the staircase. “Let him in, grandma.”

Edna just opened the door and Ephram ran upstairs.

“What’s wrong?”
“What did you and Madison talk about?”
“Adam, mostly. She’s in a good relationship now, we’re both doing good.”
“That’s good.” Amy sat there, silent.
“Did I do something wrong? Last night we were in a really good place, and now we’re back to square one.”
“I don’t know. Madison shows up and it’s like I’m not even there.”
“You walked off, I figured you were fine with it. Since when can I not talk to Madison?”
“I never said you couldn’t. But we’re here to work on us, work on our marriage, and when the mother of your son comes to visit, I seem to disappear from your radar.”
“I’m not going to lie and say I don’t feel anything for Madison, I always will. She’s the mother of my son…”
“And she seems very happy with that fact.” Amy closed her eyes suddenly, regretting what she had just said.
“What’s that supposed to mean.”
“Nothing, I’m sorry, forget I ever said it.”
“No, Amy…what did you mean. You meant to say it.”
“It’s just…last night…when you mentioned Adam and you two visiting him together, it was like her entire world lit up. Like…’finally, Ephram and our little family can be together again’.”
“That is not the reason. I never knew that little guy existed until he was two years old. My father lied to me and it was a messed up situation. Madison wanted to tell me, she wanted to include me in his life. But my dad didn’t want me to find out, mess up my growing up at sixteen…not like he hadn’t done enough already.”
“I just saw it as something different, that’s all.”
“Is this why you didn’t tell me about the pregnancy?”
Amy rose up, gave Ephram a piercing look. “What…pregnancy?”
“The one I found out about in a teacher’s lounge from someone who was passing along condolences. I never knew you pregnant.”
“It only lasted a few weeks. We were starting to have problems and then things started happening…”
“What things?” He walked around the bed, stood in front of her. “What happened.”
“I was feeling weird and so I took the test, it was positive. And everything went downhill really fast. I was sick and nothing felt right. One afternoon when you were at the school, I asked Annie to drive me to the hospital. And by the time I got to the hospital, it was over. I was told that I miscarried very early.”
“So you went through this all by yourself?”
“You were busy with helping the kids, I didn’t want you to lose that. You worked so hard to get where you were and where you are, I didn’t want to mess with that.”
“You know I would and still would give all that up for us, you know that. Music is just something I do really well, you are the one that I’m in love with and that counts more than anything.”

Amy cleared her throat, tucking her hair into a bun.

“I just always wanted to be the first…” She let the tears fall. “I wanted to be the first girl who gave you everything. And last night Madison reminded me of the fact that I will never get to do that.”
“So all of this is about Madison and me having a child together.”
“Yeah. I try to be okay with it, but I’m not. I’ll never be the one he runs to, Ephram. When he has a really great moment, I will never be able in your world like that.”
“What are you talking about? You are my world, Amy.”
“I wanted to be the girl who gives you a family and it be the first time. I will never be enough for you.”

Amy walked out of her room and Ephram heard her run down the stairs and told Edna she was going out. A few seconds later Ephram nodded and followed Amy.

She knew he was following her, she could hear the footsteps. Ephram knew where Amy was going, he knew her better than anyone. When they got there, neither said anything at first.

“I remember when you promised to wait for me when I went to Europe. And then a turn of events, you ended up on the plane trip with me.”
“I never wanted to make you feel like I’m trying to take you away from what’s yours, I’m not. It just feels like I will never be apart of that world, that world you have with Madison.”
“When I found out about the pregnancy, I talked to my dad. I didn’t tell him, but I couldn’t get this feeling out of my head that you didn’t tell me was because of Madison. And I felt like all of it was my fault.”
Amy turned her head quickly to look at him. “How could it be your fault.”
“You went through all of it alone. I wasn’t there. I always said I would never become my father, but in that moment, I feel like I had. You couldn’t tell me about our baby, and that really just changes everything.”
“We’re actually talking and not screaming at each other, things are definitely changing.”
“But I can’t change the fact that Madison and I are going to be connected forever. But I can change the way I connect with you.” He held her hand. “I want us to be okay…more than okay.”
“Is that possible, with all that we’ve done to each other. The hurtful words…can we go back?”
“I’m willing to do whatever it takes for us to work.”
“You’re sweet.” She kissed him on the cheek. She couldn’t read Ephram’s expression. “What?”
“You really…really shouldn’t have done that.” He kissed her back…on the mouth.
“My grandmother isn’t going to be home until tonight.” She had a weak smile.
“Perfect.”

They stumbled to the bed, falling backwards into a blur.

Edna walked into the house, the downstairs was dark. She put her coat up and called out for Amy.

Amy felt herself waking up, from what she wasn’t quite sure. She heard her grandmother call her name and sat up. Looking at everything around her, she got nervous.

“Oh…” She clutched the sheet to her chest. “Oh…boy.” She patted the bed around and felt Ephram beside her. “Ephram, wake up…my grandmother’s home!”
He stirred. “So?”
“So, we’re like naked in my grandmother’s house.”
“We’re married now…so let’s stay in bed.”
“Married or not, my grandmother would have a fit if she found me here…like this.”
Ephram sat up. “What time is it?”
Amy checked the clock radio. “Like nine.”
“When did we start…” He rubbed his head, trying to wake up.
“Well, the sun was still up, does that give you an idea?”
“I guess. But I still don’t get why you’re freaking out. It’s not like we’re two teenagers having sex.”
“You don’t get it. I would be absolutely mortified if I saw my grandmother’s face if she found us here.
“Whatever.” Ephram started to reach for his boxers and pants when the door opened.
Edna didn’t make any faces. “Well, everything looks good in here. Amy, come down for dinner when you’re ready. Ephram, go home.”
“Yes ma’am.” Amy laughed. “What?”
“You sounded just as scared as I felt at the idea of my grandmother finding us.”
“She still scares me.”
“See, it’s not just me.”

A few minutes later, Amy came out of her bathroom completely dressed…Ephram pulled her into a kiss.

“What was that for?”
“Today…and everyday that we’re gonna have when we get back home.”
“Home…that’s such a foreign concept.”
“Seems like a million miles away from here.”
Amy put her thoughts together. “What if here was home…again?”
“What do you mean?”
“Everwood was our safe place when we first got married. It’s like when we moved from everything was familiar, we lost each other.”
“You want to stay?”
“Yeah, my grandmother said we could have my parents house. They never sold it.”
“You talked to your grandmother and didn’t talk to me?”
“Yeah, but that’s only when my grandmother pretty much nailed me to a wall and just ‘suggested’ that the house has been empty for a while and a nice, young family moving in might spice it up a bit.”
“And you want to move back?”
“Just giving it some thought.”
“Yeah, okay.” He kissed her on the cheek and left the room.
“Yes…okay.” Amy smiled and ran downstairs.
{EphramAmy}
patricia

Last edited by break the window; 08-18-2010 at 10:24 PM
Old 08-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Master Fan

Aw, some heavy and also sweet stuff in that one. And nudity. Still loving the read, Patricia!
Old 08-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
Aw, some heavy and also sweet stuff in that one. And nudity. Still loving the read, Patricia!
I'm loving this as well, Patricia. Edna's reaction is so hilarious....typical Edna.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Master Fan

This reaction, Betty?

Quote:
Edna didn’t make any faces. “Well, everything looks good in here. Amy, come down for dinner when you’re ready. Ephram, go home.”
Cracked me up too. I think it's just right. Amy walked in on Irv and Edna, so now Edna gets to walk in on Amy.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes, that reaction. Can't you just picture Edna saying that?
Patricia...you have excellent understanding of the characters.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

thank you very much. writing for these characters is just a joy
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Closed Thread   Post New Thread