Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Administrator

After reading about some of the developments that were being contemplated for Season Five, I'm actually glad that Everwood ended when it did. I would have really hated it if they brought back Madison, or flirted with the idea of hooking up Ephram and Hannah, and I really wouldn't have wanted to see Nina be pregnant with Jake's child. To me, all those ideas were soap opera-like, and they would have diminished the show for me. To me though, the worst idea would be the idea of possibly hooking up Ephram and Hannah, because that would ruin Ephram's friendship with Bright, and Amy's friendship with Hannah, and also ruin Ephram and Amy’s relationship, after seeing how the Season Three Love Triangle ruined the core friendships on Dawson's Creek, I wouldn't have wanted to see any type of triangle (or rectangle ) created on Everwood to ruin the core friendships on that show.

I also enjoyed watching Ephram and Amy in Season Four more than I did in Season Three, because although Season Three had some wonderful moments between them for us to cherish, Madisongate cast a pall over the entire season and any happiness that Ephram and Amy got to experience, and so I was never really happy that entire season, because I knew everything would come crashing down and break our hearts.

With Season Four however, although I was unhappy seeing Ephram and Amy apart, I really enjoyed seeing how much Ephram grew up and how he came to forgive Andy, and I was filled with hope that him and Amy would find their way back to each other, and I was so happy that they finally did.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnie@
Yeah, I don't get the "u" thing and I've learned it recently. Since I never went to school in english before last september, I learned english mostly from TV and books (and yes, of course, second-language course in school). I asked my cousin to proof-read one of my paper since she's a copy editor and I had written "favorite" in there and she added a "u". And I was suprised 'cause you always see it written without a "u". And she explained it was a Canadian thing and that Americans wrote it without "u" inlcuding other words like color. And when I asked why that difference, she answered that americans were lazy! I don't think she meant it, but you gotta admit, it's pretty stupid for us to write it two different ways!
After the American revolution Daniel Webster and others tried to "simplify" english spelling both for practical and patriotic reasons. Some of their innovations took hold (like color versus colour and center versus centre). Other proposals to make american english spelling more phonetic and consistent never took hold. I sometmes use centre and colour anyway. Just to be pretentious.

Course English is an odd language in that it's a mishmash made up of the dialects of a bunch of invaders. And of course it's spellings often don't make any sense because the written language began being standardized just as the spoken word was starting to go through a rapid transformation in how words and even vowels were pronounced. Many of the spellings were almost literally designed for a different language.

Okay. Enough of me drifting off topic.
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Master Fan

^ May have been totally OT, but it was incredibly interesting! Thanks so much for going OT and explaining that! I did not know that before now about the "u" and the Canadian/American difference and the history, etc.

Thanks so much for explaining that!

ETA- Had a total blond moment there and totally forgot to reply to Jerry's post! Sorry bout that, Jerry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D
After reading about some of the developments that were being contemplated for Season Five, I'm actually glad that Everwood ended when it did. I would have really hated it if they brought back Madison, or flirted with the idea of hooking up Ephram and Hannah, and I really wouldn't have wanted to see Nina be pregnant with Jake's child. To me, all those ideas were soap opera-like, and they would have diminished the show for me.
Yeah, I heard about those storyline ideas and found myself going, "Wow, glad Everwood was cancelled.." I'd rather the show have gone out as it had, amazing and true to it's form than have gone down ANY of those roads.

Quote:
To me though, the worst idea would be the idea of possibly hooking up Ephram and Hannah, because that would ruin Ephram's friendship with Bright, and Amy's friendship with Hannah, and also ruin Ephram and Amy’s relationship, after seeing how the Season Three Love Triangle ruined the core friendships on Dawson's Creek, I wouldn't have wanted to see any type of triangle (or rectangle ) created on Everwood to ruin the core friendships on that show.
I totally agree, Jerry. If they had done that storyline, I don't see Amy being able to forgive Hannah OR Ephram for that matter. More Hannah because of the best friend sacred rule of your best friend's exes/bf's being OFF LIMITS. I thnk that move would have been horrible.

Quote:
I also enjoyed watching Ephram and Amy in Season Four more than I did in Season Three, because although Season Three had some wonderful moments between them for us to cherish, Madisongate cast a pall over the entire season and any happiness that Ephram and Amy got to experience, and so I was never really happy that entire season, because I knew everything would come crashing down and break our hearts.
Hands down, s4 E/A was better viewing than s3 because of the reasons you said. Because we all knew... no matter how happy they were at that particular moment, that it'd all be gone. No way could we, the viewers, really be able to enjoy their happiness together because we knew was was to come. And that totally sucked.

I was glad to see Ephram and Amy take their time getting back together in season 4, (even though at the time it was torture!). I think that move made them appear more "real". Neither ever denied theirfeelins for one another, but at the same time, they didn't act upon them, and didn't lie about why. They were honest and they didn't play games. THAT is true E/A. None of that crap at the end of s3

Quote:
With Season Four however, although I was unhappy seeing Ephram and Amy apart, I really enjoyed seeing how much Ephram grew up and how he came to forgive Andy, and I was filled with hope that him and Amy would find their way back to each other, and I was so happy that they finally did.
Oh me too. I was so sad when Andy/Ephram exploded and was seemingly unrepairable. I think I actually "mourned" for them for the first few episodes after the crap hit the fan. It was so sad how they had been so close, so close to getting to where they had spent years trying to get to, only to have it totally wrecked in less than 10 minutes.

I was so glad that Ephram came back, and was more mature, had his head more on straight, and through season 4, you could see him setting his priorities in order and making the best of the situation maturly and then finally, forgiving Andy and making peace with him. I. Loved. It.

Last edited by Augusta; 08-16-2006 at 06:47 PM
Augusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleBehryGrl23 (View Post)
If they had done that storyline, I don't see Amy being able to forgive Hannah OR Ephram for that matter. More Hannah because of the best friend sacred rule of your best friend's exes/bf's being OFF LIMITS. I thnk that move would have been horrible.
Exactly and another thing, it would have been so entirely unrealistic to have Ephram/Hannah start feeling anything towards each other given the history there. Hannah stated pointedly Ephram wasn't her type, there wasn't even a pause in her answers about Ephram, she felt nothing for him and made it quite clear she never would. Ephram couldn't believe Amy thought for one second he might have been interested in Hannah, he even laughed at the thought. I know stranger things have happened and people you least expect you start to fall for, whatever. The point is, I still would have NEVER bought Ephram/Hannah for a split second based on their words about each other in the past. And of course, like you said, it would have been devastating to the relationships involved. Bright would seriously kick Ephram's ass if he went anywhere near Hannah, and their friendship would be severely shattered as a result, way beyond repair. Amy and Hananh would never be the same, who knows what would have happened to EA. Just a horrible idea, so scary to think about how this could have materialized. Man.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleBehryGrl23 (View Post)
Oh me too. I was so sad when Andy/Ephram exploded and was seemingly unrepairable. I think I actually "mourned" for them for the first few episodes after the crap hit the fan. It was so sad how they had been so close, so close to getting to where they had spent years trying to get to, only to have it totally wrecked in less than 10 minutes.

I was so glad that Ephram came back, and was more mature, had his head more on straight, and through season 4, you could see him setting his priorities in order and making the best of the situation maturly and then finally, forgiving Andy and making peace with him. I. Loved. It.
Yeah.. reminds me of that moment in one of the last episodes in season 3 when Andy goes to Ephram's room and sees it empty. We know that they've always been fighting, but as Edna stated so eloquently in 'Pilot', it means they're more similar than seen at first glance. It's also backed up by that scene when Ephram says goodbye to Delia, before leaving for London. He said 'Just listen to him. Do what he says. He has a good heart'. That's our Ephram, knowing that his father hid Madison's pregnancy from him, and he's forgiving him already there. As much as he hated him, he's always loved him as well and that's saying a lot. And the same with Andy. He loves his son. Pure and simple. And he can't imagine living in that house where they've been for 3 years and suddenly, he finds Ephram's room all empty. It's like.. it symbolises what he feels inside when 2 of his most important people are gone. And even though there's Delia, he needs all of them. He needs Julia and he needs Ephram. He needs his family. And that empty room just brings the tears out of my eyes.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amont (View Post)
Yeah.. reminds me of that moment in one of the last episodes in season 3 when Andy goes to Ephram's room and sees it empty. We know that they've always been fighting, but as Edna stated so eloquently in 'Pilot', it means they're more similar than seen at first glance.
Yeah, definately. I agree with what Edna had said. And in erality, that tends to be the case so much of the time.. The scene where Andy was in Ephram's empty bedroom was very sad

Quote:
It's also backed up by that scene when Ephram says goodbye to Delia, before leaving for London. He said 'Just listen to him. Do what he says. He has a good heart'. That's our Ephram, knowing that his father hid Madison's pregnancy from him, and he's forgiving him already there. As much as he hated him, he's always loved him as well and that's saying a lot.
That scene gave me so many goosebumps! It was such a powerful scene...

Quote:
And the same with Andy. He loves his son. Pure and simple. And he can't imagine living in that house where they've been for 3 years and suddenly, he finds Ephram's room all empty. It's like.. it symbolises what he feels inside when 2 of his most important people are gone. And even though there's Delia, he needs all of them. He needs Julia and he needs Ephram. He needs his family. And that empty room just brings the tears out of my eyes.
^ Great thoughts! Could not agree more!
Old 09-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I have a question I want to now ask at this point since so many have already stated who their favorite character is:

Are you happy with where your favorite character ended up at the end of the series?

Here's how I feel about my favorite character:

Amy, from day 1, was a very emotional, strong, opinionated character who absolutely had endless flaws and thanks to the amazing Emily VanCamp, I embraced Amy's flaws just as much as I embraced her positive aspects as well. I think Amy had a journey to go on, a tough journey at that, battling her depression and everything else but at the end of the journey she found complete and total peace and happiness. She grew up and matured so much over the years, she ended up with her one true love, she has beautiful relationships with her friends and family, everything worked out so great for her. I also love how in season 4 she went on a soul searching journey of her own, she figured out how to stand on her own two feet apart from Ephram and her strong feelings for him, away from her friends and family, she did this on her own and she figured out what would make her personally happy. She did this for herself and I loved seeing this so much. Once she became a "whole person" it was then that she was ready to share her life with the love of her life, Ephram, and together they will move on and face life and whatever comes their way together. But what's amazing is Amy loves who Amy is, she is happy with herself and with that, she can now be happy with Ephram, her life, absolutely everything.

I loved watching Amy from start to finish. She blew me away during her entire journey and I couldn't be more happy with where my favorite character ended up.

Last edited by jediwands; 09-03-2006 at 05:00 PM
Old 09-04-2006, 08:45 AM
buffyannAlex

Quote:
Are you happy with where your favorite character ended up at the end of the series?
What an awesome question !!! Thanks for thinking of this... (am I displaying too much affection ?)

Ok, to get back on the question. Ephram, my favourite character (I'm reminding you all in case you were sleeping before and didn't notice ) has come a long way since the beginning of the series.
I think I heard Greg Smith saying in an interview the "The only consistent thing with a character that age, is that he's always changing". And we've witnessed all the changes in Ephram in a very consistent way. Apart from a few stuff, we always saw the changes in him taking place progressively and still being consistent with his personnality.
We've seen him dealing with High School, growing out of his first crush/love, dealing with his mother's death, trying to heal the wounds between him and his father. To be honest, even if I think there was a lot of stories left to tell for this character, I'm really happy on the way he ends up in the series.
He's dealt with his past, he's become a confident guy who knows what eh wanna do with his life. He's learned to love his father and he finally can be with the girl he loves forever.
So of course, I would have loved to see more but I'm really happy to see the way he ends up and to have witness the wonderful growth of this character.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffyannAlex (View Post)
What an awesome question !!! Thanks for thinking of this... (am I displaying too much affection ?)
Nah.

Quote:
Ok, to get back on the question. Ephram, my favourite character (I'm reminding you all in case you were sleeping before and didn't notice )
Wow, I'm floored... I never knew this!

Great thoughts as well.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Master Fan

^
Old 09-05-2006, 03:03 PM
AngelaiDanes

Like Michelle , my favorite character was always Amy. I loved her season 1 and 2 journey through Colin's accident and unfortunate death in the end. Sure she was selfish at times, but she felt like she had just lost the only guy she ever would love (she had 15 year old emotions and ideas about love). And at such a young age it must have been so hard for her to deal with while also going to high school and dealing with new feelings for the new outcast at school. Honestly season 2 ranks up there for me because of Amy's depression and acceptance over Colin, and EVC's acting. I wasn't interested in Ephram at all due to Madison and that gross storyline. In season 3 I loved how Amy wanted to be there for Ephram when he found out about the baby even if Ephram ended up backing away and running to Europe. I thought that proved how much she loved him and was willing to stick by him through anything. In season 4 I wish Rina would have explored Amy's college life more. I loved how she slowly rebuilt her friendship/relationship with Ephram through to the finale with them ending up together , but I always hated how Amy's Planned Parenthood/professor storyline was dropped for Hannah's lame whining about Bright. I really thought had they explored that Amy would have realized how obsessive she becomes and how she had to finally balance her dating and school life. Too bad we didn't see that. But overall I loved Amy's journey to Ephram and adult maturity we saw when the show ended.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Angelai

Like Michelle , my favorite character was always Amy. I loved her season 1 and 2 journey through Colin's accident and unfortunate death in the end. Sure she was selfish at times, but she felt like she had just lost the only guy she ever would love (she had 15 year old emotions and ideas about love). And at such a young age it must have been so hard for her to deal with while also going to high school and dealing with new feelings for the new outcast at school.
So true. Great point about her having 15 yr old emotions and views about love. Thing is, she was certainly not about having adult views about love and relationships in the least and yet the poor girl was directly stuck in such a serious, dramatic, terribly heartbreaking situation while dealing with her BF in a coma, finally coming out, not remembering her, having to deal with his recovery that simply never worked out and then his ultimate passing. MAN, what a horribly difficult situation she had to deal with and in the process she was evaluating what she felt for him, let alone the fact that she was developing intense feelings for Ephram at the same time. What a tough time for her.

That's why I don't buy the theory of Amy being super mean and selfish in season 1 as a small number of people will say. Okay, sure she had her not so great moments but hello, take a look at what this poor girl had to experience and go through during this time as well. She should have been doing typical teenage things not dealing with life and death and the "limbo" of life and death as she had to deal with on top of it all. She had SO MUCH on her plate during this time it's unreal. I'm shocked she wasn't a complete mess 24/7. Thank God she had Ephram, he was so amazing with her. I believe she really would have cracked much sooner otherwise.

Quote:
Honestly season 2 ranks up there for me because of Amy's depression and acceptance over Colin, and EVC's acting.
With you. EVC rocked and in my mind SHE WAS SEASON 2 in so many ways to be honest. How that girl didn't get an Emmy is beyond me. She was mind blowing and if she were on any other network, a nod would have happened.

This was where Amy finally broke down and of course it was justified. I'm shocked she didn't break down way before this in fact. And like you said, season 2 was significant all because of Amy's depression storyline all thanks to the magnificent EVC. She got so much buzz for this season and it was all completely justified and fitting. Absolutely. She made Amy so real and so flawed but at the same time, you desperately pulled for her because Emily made her so human and she reached the audience in a way that almost overtook you with emotion. It was something else, EVC is something else.

Quote:
I wasn't interested in Ephram at all due to Madison and that gross storyline.
God me either. It took everything out of me not to grab the garbage can and hurl from the repulsive nature of everything surrounding them. Grossssss. In fact, if I were Bright more times than not, I would have screamed at Ephram and maybe even punched him due to how annoying he was, going on and on about Madison in such an irritating way. That would have annoyed the hell out of me if I were Bright. Heck, it annoyed the hell out of me as a viewer. I just liked NOTHING about this storyline and pairing. It was all about "putting up with them" and hoping that I didn't get too grossed out while watching.

Quote:
In season 3 I loved how Amy wanted to be there for Ephram when he found out about the baby even if Ephram ended up backing away and running to Europe. I thought that proved how much she loved him and was willing to stick by him through anything.
No doubt. She was so great throughout all of this. Her heart had to have been breaking in two whenever finding out from Harold about Madison and yet she sucked it up and wanted to be there for Ephram throughout everything. It absolutely proved how much she loved him and wanted to help him in any way that she possibly could. Too bad Ephram didn't allow her to help him instead of saying such ridiculous and cold things to her and taking off for Europe instead.

Quote:
In season 4 I wish Rina would have explored Amy's college life more. I loved how she slowly rebuilt her friendship/relationship with Ephram through to the finale with them ending up together , but I always hated how Amy's Planned Parenthood/professor storyline was dropped for Hannah's lame whining about Bright. I really thought had they explored that Amy would have realized how obsessive she becomes and how she had to finally balance her dating and school life. Too bad we didn't see that. But overall I loved Amy's journey to Ephram and adult maturity we saw when the show ended.
Great thoughts and so with you that it sucked rocks how Amy's storyline was dropped in favor of more Hannah, how is this freakin possible even? You have EVC for God's sake, make full use of this gold mine! Not showing a typical teen whining about a guy that cheated on her on top of it all. They absolutely should have shown the Amy storyline instead for endless reasons. So ridiculous.

But like you said, Amy's journey to Ephram and showing her maturity was brilliant, nevertheless. I loved it so much.

I loved the character of Amy SO MUCH.

Last edited by jediwands; 09-05-2006 at 08:29 PM
Old 09-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Master Fan

Amazing question! Thanks so much, Angela for slappin that up there!

My fave character (though hard to choose a *favorite*) was Ephram. And words cannot be used for how impressed, touched, and happy I am about where he ended up. He went through an AMAZING character growth from season 1 to this past season.

He lsot his mother, moved to a new place, found real love, lost real love, became a father, lost his mind, came back.... so many things he went through and yet, amazingly,came out of it being a great guy. I wish mroe guys like Ephram existed out there, that's for sure.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Master Fan

A question for the Ephram fans, somewhat connected to Wilpen's question: What did you think about the end to the piano arc? With him planning to teach it rather than playing it? Would you have preffered to see him follow his talent and (at least) previous dream?

It just seems that it was a different route than some fans had expected from the way the character and the arch was written and and I think we would've seen it all brought up again had we gotten another season. It was a somewhat big discussion on my old board, so I thought I would bring it up here if anyone had any thoughts on it.

Quote:
My favourite character was Dr. Brown. Even as a sixteen year old kid watching the first season, I always enjoyed the adults' storylines much more than the characters around my age, for some reason. Harold is a close second. I enjoyed the way Andy's story ended. In season one, I really enjoyed him trying to become a father to Ephram and learn how one goes about doing that. In season three (well, beginning at the end of season two), he made a HUGE mistake, showing that he hadn't quite learned about being a good father fully. Yet he got forgiveness and made a new bond with Ephram, a better bond than they had ever had previously. He did this not with bribing Ephram as he did in season three, but instead just being a good father; letting his son be independent, but helping him along the way. And making up with his Dad? Fantastic. That journey from a workaholic surgeon to being a real Dad was easily my favourite thing about the show and it was done really well, not just being solved in one season, but taking four years to accomplish.

With his new relationship with Nina, a new journey to becoming a good husband after all the mistakes he made with Julia is one of the things I desperately wish I could see. Still, I think we got hints of that in the finale with the headstone scene and the proposal, so I was very satisfied.

He turned from a struggling father to at the very least a good one; to a man who had troubles with relationships, to proposing. All the while being a good friend to Harold and a great doctor and helper (I couldn't think of a better word) for the town of Everwood.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Master Fan

I think it was interesting, to switch it up a little with Ephram's piano playing. How he decided to teach it instead ofgo farther playing it. I don't feel like it was a huge stretch... he's still gonna play it. He's justalso teaching it. I sorta would like to see him have followed his original dream, but if that happened, I forsee him become amazing, and I dunno, it just wouldn't feel as 'small-town' to me. I thin it fits more with him teaching it than going off to Julliard and being more into that lifestyle. Does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
He turned from a struggling father to at the very least a good one; to a man who had troubles with relationships, to proposing. All the while being a good friend to Harold and a great doctor and helper (I couldn't think of a better word) for the town of Everwood.
I could not agree more with your thoughts on Andy, 'Tos Awesome job!
Reply   Post New Thread