Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013, 09:02 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Everwood's 2013 Rewatch Thread #2: Current Episode: "Everwood Confidential" (S1, Ep. 17)

EVERWOOD'S 2013 REWATCH THREAD

Last Thread/Thread #1

EVERWOOD EPISODES

1 :01x01 - Pilot
2 :01x02 - The Great Doctor Brown
3 :01x03 - Friendly Fire
4 :01x04 - The Kissing Bridge
5 :01x05 - Deer God
6 :01x06 - The Doctor Is In
7 :01x07 - We Hold These Truths
8 :01x08 - Till Death Do Us Part
9 :01x09 - Turf Wars
10 :01x10 - Is There a Doctor in the House?
11 :01x11 - A Thanksgiving Tale
12 :01x12 - Vegetative State
13 :01x13 - The Price of Fame
14 :01x14 - Colin the Second
15 :01x15 - Snow Job
16 :01x16 - My Funny Valentine
17 :01x17 - Everwood Confidential
18 :01x18 - The Unveiling
19 :01x19 - The Miracle of Everwood
20 :01x20 - Moonlight Sonata
21 :01x21 - Episode 20
22 :01x22 - Fear Itself
23 :01x23 - Home
24 :02x01 - The Last of Summer
25 :02x02 - Extra Ordinary
26 :02x03 - My Brother's Keeper
27 :02x04 - East Meets West
28 :02x05 - Daddy's Little Girl
29 :02x06 - Blind Faith
30 :02x07 - Three Miners From Everwood
31 :02x08 - The Burden of Truth
32 :02x09 - Just Like in the Movies
33 :02x10 - Unhappy Holidays
34 :02x11 - Family Dynamics
35 :02x12 - Controlling Interest
36 :02x13 - Forget Me Not
37 :02x14 - No Sure Thing
38 :02x15 - The L Word
39 :02x16 - Unspoken Truths
40 :02x17 - Unfinished Business
41 :02x18 - Last Looks
42 :02x19 - Sick
43 :02x20 - Do or Die
44 :02x21 - Your Future Awaits
45 :02x22 - The Day Is Done
46 :03x01 - For Every Action...
47 :03x02 - ...There is a Reaction
48 :03x03 - Staking Claim
49 :03x04 - The Birds & the Batteries
50 :03x05 - Sacrifice
51 :03x06 - Shoot the Moon
52 :03x07 - Best Laid Plans
53 :03x08 - The Tipping Point
54 :03x09 - The Reflex
55 :03x10 - Need to Know
56 :03x11 - Complex Guilt
57 :03x12 - Giving Up the Girl
58 :03x13 - The Perfect Day
59 :03x14 - Since You've Been Gone
60 :03x15 - Surprise
61 :03x16 - A Moment in Manhattan (a.k.a. A Mountain Town)
62 :03x17 - Fate Accomplis
63 :03x18 - Fallout
64 :03x19 - Acceptance
65 :03x20 - He Who Hesitates
66 :03x21 - Oh The Places You'll Go
67 :03x22 - Where the Heart Is
68 :04x01 - A Kiss to Build a Dream On
69 :04x02 - The Next Step
70 :04x03 - Put On A Happy Face
71 :04x04 - Pieces of Me
72 :04x05 - Connect Four
73 :04x06 - Free Fall
74 :04x07 - Pro Choice
75 :04x08 - So Long, Farewell...
76 :04x09 - Getting to Know You
77 :04x10 – Ghosts
78 :04x11 - Lost and Found
79 :04x12 - You're a Good Man, Andy Brown
80 :04x13 - An Ounce of Prevention
81 :04x14 - Across the Lines
82 :04x15 - The Land of Confusion
83 :04x16 - Truth...
84 :04x17 - All The Lonely People
85 :04x18 - Enjoy The Ride
86 :04x19 - Reckoning
87 :04x20 - Goodbye Love
88 :04x21 - Foreverwood (1)
89 :04x22 - Foreverwood (2)

Rules are as follows:

1. We are getting started on Tuesday, 1/29/13, and a new episode will begin every Tuesday. We are following the exact order the episodes were aired from start to finish.

2. Anyone is most welcome to join at any time. The more the merrier!

3. If you don't own the DVDs or have access to the episodes, don't let that stop you from joining. Feel free to pm us so we can help you gain access to the episodes.

4. This board has always been mature. We believe it will continue to be mature. This board is so unique and the maturity level is one of many reasons why. With that said, let's keep the discussions/debates going in a healthy manner. Of course we are not always going to agree but that is the beauty of what this rewatch is all about... to be able to receive as many point of views and thoughts as possible. Let's continue to keep it mature and healthy just like our norm as we debate/discuss our fabulous show.

Thanks!

Betty & Michelle

Last edited by jediwands; 06-11-2013 at 06:32 AM
Old 03-31-2013, 09:05 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Current episode:

We Hold These Truths

Season 1, Episode 7 - Air Date: 10/28/2002

The former Big Apple neurosurgeon, Dr.Andrew Brown, puts on his scrubs for the first time since he relocated his family to Colorado to operate on Amy‘s comatose boyfriend, Colin (Mike Erwin), with the help of his friend and surgery partner from New York, Dr. Brian Holderman (guest star Lamont Thompson). Adding to his performance anxiety is the identity of the patient---Colin Hart, the boy who was dating Amy before she stole Ephram‘s heart.It also doesn‘t help that the tricky procedure he plans to perform has never been attempted before. Amy leans on Ephram for support as she awaits the outcome. Meanwhile, an emotional Bright breaks down and admits what actually happened the day of the car accident as Colin‘s former life in Everwood is also revisited as flashbacks reveal some startling secrets about the teen‘s last days before the accident that put him in the hospital.

===============================

Of course, we can talk about episodes 1-7 since they overlap and people are still catching up. LOL

Last edited by jediwands; 04-10-2013 at 08:49 AM
Old 03-31-2013, 09:21 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Okay, this is what I was wondering... remember the scene at the dance when Amy leaves Colin because of his behavior... he was mean to Ephram. Amy goes to dance with Ephram which causes the Ephram/Amy fans to go nuts since it's all about chemistry and such a great scene. LOL

Anyway, was that the real Colin there? He wasn't violent but he certainly was rude and very mean to Ephram. I really struggle with figuring out his true identity there. I don't know if it was the brain injury or we are seeing shades of the real Colin.

What do you think?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:39 AM
Master Fan

First thanks for the new thread! I hope we will soon make another one .

Well I saw the whole scene quite different from most fans .

First I have to agree with you. If I had watched Everwood when it was on air, I will most probably dislike Colin. However I watched the show far later and I knew even the first time when I watched the show that Colin had brain trauma and part of his behavior was due to his condition and not because he's bad person.

To answer your question no that wasn't the real Colin for me. He was frustrated and hurt and I will explain in a minute why, but overall he was cruel in a spur of moment the same way Ephram got really nasty with Andy when he was frustrated and hurt.

Now I will try to explain how I saw the whole thing with Colin. While we knew that Colin would have broken up with Amy that didn't matter actually because Colin didn't remember it in that particular moment. All that he knew was that they were together and they were this really sweet couple. All around them thought this way. Yes he might have felt pressured by her, but he also felt good knowing that someone loved him and fought for him and tried everything to help him. That gives you mental strength you know. And then he got Ephram and he really trusted Ephram and he relied on him. When he found out that there was something between Ephram and Amy he felt betrayed and hurt by both and they were the people he relied on the most.

He realized that everyone around him knew about Amy and Ephram and he was like the joke in the group. Ephram was giving him advices how to get Amy and yet he was trying to get together with her. The few things that were stable in his life in this vital and hard moment of his life were gone and he felt all alone. Amy was leaving him for Ephram and he sensed it and since Ephram was the new one he lashed out on him and blamed him for everything. People need to put the blame on someone, this way it's easier to accept the letdown. I really felt for Colin I have to be honest. If I was in his place I would be angry at myself, the world, everyone. It wasn't easy for him at all.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

You are making me go from disliking Colin, to feeling fairly indifferent, to now flirting with the mildly liking Colin.

You make excellent points and you actually gave a prime example of why that was not the real Colin... if it was, he wouldn't have cared about Ephram/Amy getting closer since he was breaking up with her anyway! That actually is the truth. Thus, this gives strong proof that Colin was not his real self there. A lot of people view that scene as showing signs of the real Colin but I'm with you... I don't believe it was.

I also agree with all your thoughts as a whole.

What do you believe was the main purpose of Colin?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Master Fan

Well I liked Colin so it's kind of normal to express myself this way. To tell you the truth this is the reason why I liked him because for me Colin was victim of circumstances. What happened to him is pretty hard to take and he was just a kid so it's gotta be worse for him. Well he was a character in a show, but for me we saw Colin in very specific situation where most people wouldn't be at their best. I do think that though that if he was a jerk Amy and Bright wouldn't like him that much. Bright might be not the brightest one, but he wasn't that stupid. And Amy wasn't stupid either. They had been friends since they were kids. They might have been part of the popular crowd, but that doesn't automatically mean that they were mean.

Nina also had good opinion about Colin and for me Nina was pretty good judge of characters. While Amy and Bright were kids and might have been deceived, Nina was a grown up woman. She would see past of the act if there was any. Also Laynie was part of their group and she wasn't mean either. I just can't accept the fact that Colin was a jerk and Amy, Laynie and Bright just went for it.

As for Colin's purpose well unfortunately the obvious reason was for Amy to have motive to talk to Ephram. Quite frankly I dislike this a bit, but that's my personal issue. I could go further and share my ideas that pre accident Colin was Everwood and after accident Colin was like Ephram. However that is a bit farfetched and it might be only in my imagination . I do think that old Colin was the typical Everwood boy that everyone liked. And new Colin didn't fit in anymore in Everwood and he felt like a stranger - just like Ephram.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

TFTnt
My knowledge of Colin was really slim. All I knew was that he died and was Amy's boyfriend. I never disliked him, but I did feel bad for him. I was just indifferent. I hated bright until s2. It took his friendship with ephram for me to change my opinion on him. To me he represented the worst stereotype of a jock who takes out his insecurities on those he feels are weaker than himself.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:55 AM
Addicted Fan

I'm really enjoying the Colin conversation (and I wish 'Tos was here to soak up some of the Colin love too! ) but I just don't have a whole lot to add until we have gotten to those eps again. A lot of my memory of them is just too hazy to participate much yet.

I will say though, that my impressions of Colin are pretty much lined up with Koni. He never struck me as a total jerk, even when he was at his worst. From what I remember of his actions at the dance, yeah he was acting really badly toward Ephram but I think at that point he was wondering if he'd been the butt of some inside joke all this time and was reacting out of anger to that.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Great thoughts, everyone.

I think for years while while watching the episodes over and over again, I did dislike Colin (or just wasn't feeling the story) mostly because I was so sucked into the Ephram/Amy story. Now, it's so different because I am viewing the situation from an entirely different perspective. Yes, I believe his main purpose was to certainly bring Ephram/Amy together. I also believe he was the bridge for the Abbott's and Brown's too. He also played a large role in Andy's well being, both personally and professionally.

I also had issues with Bright for a while. I did start liking him after "The Miracle of Everwood" when Bright saves Ephram from Colin. I then realized so many of Bright's actions had to due with guilt and not totally seeing the reality of what was going on with Colin and how he was ultimately not going to get better.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Master Fan

Good point about Colin being the bridge between the Browns and Abbots . I also think that Colin somehow forced Bright to spend more time with Ephram so in some ways Colin was a bit of catalyst for the Ephram/Bright friendship.

I started liking Bright earlier actually - in the episode where he basically ordered Ephram to go the party because Amy needed it. He basically admitted that he doesn't like Ephram, but he makes his sister smile. If Bright was selfish jerk he wouldn't care that much about his sister. It wasn't so easy for him to admit that someone has taken his best friend's place. And now Ephram is the one that makes Amy smiling and not Colin.

I was still a bit hazy about him, but that was definitely the first time I watched past Bright being bully. The other reason to start like him was his guilt about what happened with Colin. It felt real and genuine to me.

I did however watched Everwood not because of Amy/Ephram so I valued all relationships and story lines and didn't really hate anyone. I had my share of some dislikes especially in specific moments in the series, but I was able to see some redeeming qualities in almost anyone of the main characters.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
Good point about Colin being the bridge between the Browns and Abbots . I also think that Colin somehow forced Bright to spend more time with Ephram so in some ways Colin was a bit of catalyst for the Ephram/Bright friendship.

I started liking Bright earlier actually - in the episode where he basically ordered Ephram to go the party because Amy needed it. He basically admitted that he doesn't like Ephram, but he makes his sister smile. If Bright was selfish jerk he wouldn't care that much about his sister. It wasn't so easy for him to admit that someone has taken his best friend's place. And now Ephram is the one that makes Amy smiling and not Colin.

I was still a bit hazy about him, but that was definitely the first time I watched past Bright being bully. The other reason to start like him was his guilt about what happened with Colin. It felt real and genuine to me.

I did however watched Everwood not because of Amy/Ephram so I valued all relationships and story lines and didn't really hate anyone. I had my share of some dislikes especially in specific moments in the series, but I was able to see some redeeming qualities in almost anyone of the main characters.
I just have a big problem with bullies and it took me awhile to warm up to bright but he eventually became one of my favorites. I ended up shipping ephram and Amy but they were not why I watched. I loved all of the relationships on the show.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
I just have a big problem with bullies and it took me awhile to warm up to bright but he eventually became one of my favorites. I ended up shipping ephram and Amy but they were not why I watched. I loved all of the relationships on the show.
I have problem with bullies too, but for me they handled this a bit better. Ephram wasn't shown as a victim that can't fight. Ephram got as much as he gave Bright. It was good contrast - Bright bullying with physical strength, Ephram answering with mental strength (words and sarcasm as a whole). So while I dislike Bright at first with his bullying, it also made me like Ephram more because of the way he handled the whole story and the way he fought back.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:35 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I admit the main draw for me was Ephram/Amy. I didn't watch from the very beginning. I watched for the first time in between seasons 1 and 2. Two things drew me to the series:

1. Jerry's recommendation to check out the series because of how good it was, but also, to view the amazing chemistry between Greg/Emily as Ephram/Amy.

2. Once I checked out the series, the first scene I saw was an Ephram/Amy one. I was blown away so much I immediately watched season 1 and was hooked and completely addicted to the show.

So yes, Ephram/Amy drew me in. To be honest, who knows what might have happened if I would have viewed a different scene instead for the first time. I might have flipped the channel two seconds later and never would have gotten to know Everwood. Ephram/Amy wouldn't allow that to take place.

After that, though, I fell in love with all the dynamics and relationships as well.

Regarding Bright... yes, Bright was the character that changed the most throughout the series. I totally agree, Koni, that Ephram was not shown as Bright's victim. If anything, Ephram verbally abused Bright. Ephram got in so many hilarious jabs at Bright, some of which flew right over Bright's head. Outside of that one moment overlooking the town and the mountains when Bright was attempting to bully Ephram, there wasn't another moment that really put Ephram in any danger. Even that moment had Amy going up against Bright in strong defense of Ephram.

So yes, Ephram certainly could take care of himself. Great point about Bright asking Ephram to go to the party for Amy and how he never would have done that without caring about his sister and giving Ephram a break as a result. It did show heart on Bright's part. Bright recognized very early on what was going on between Ephram/Amy. He also sort of switched gears when he realized how great the dynamic was for Amy. He saw Amy existing like a shell without any desire to live for months and months before Ephram entered the picture. All of a sudden, Amy wanted to live again, she was smiling again. He knew Ephram was responsible for this fact. He couldn't help but find this a positive thing for his sister.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:20 AM
Addicted Fan

Good point about sometimes viewing characters differently because of what drew you into the show in the first place. I came into the show at the Pilot (but in reruns) and didn't know anything about it other than it was supposed to be a really good show. I can't honestly say there was any one character, or any one couple, that I was invested in over any others starting out, so I really focused on everyone and how they all tied in together rather than finding some characters "pointless". Well, other than the obviously secondary characters like Brenda and Thurman.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
I admit the main draw for me was Ephram/Amy. I didn't watch from the very beginning. I watched for the first time in between seasons 1 and 2. Two things drew me to the series:

1. Jerry's recommendation to check out the series because of how good it was, but also, to view the amazing chemistry between Greg/Emily as Ephram/Amy.

2. Once I checked out the series, the first scene I saw was an Ephram/Amy one. I was blown away so much I immediately watched season 1 and was hooked and completely addicted to the show.

So yes, Ephram/Amy drew me in. To be honest, who knows what might have happened if I would have viewed a different scene instead for the first time. I might have flipped the channel two seconds later and never would have gotten to know Everwood. Ephram/Amy wouldn't allow that to take place.

After that, though, I fell in love with all the dynamics and relationships as well.

Regarding Bright... yes, Bright was the character that changed the most throughout the series. I totally agree, Koni, that Ephram was not shown as Bright's victim. If anything, Ephram verbally abused Bright. Ephram got in so many hilarious jabs at Bright, some of which flew right over Bright's head. Outside of that one moment overlooking the town and the mountains when Bright was attempting to bully Ephram, there wasn't another moment that really put Ephram in any danger. Even that moment had Amy going up against Bright in strong defense of Ephram.

So yes, Ephram certainly could take care of himself. Great point about Bright asking Ephram to go to the party for Amy and how he never would have done that without caring about his sister and giving Ephram a break as a result. It did show heart on Bright's part. Bright recognized very early on what was going on between Ephram/Amy. He also sort of switched gears when he realized how great the dynamic was for Amy. He saw Amy existing like a shell without any desire to live for months and months before Ephram entered the picture. All of a sudden, Amy wanted to live again, she was smiling again. He knew Ephram was responsible for this fact. He couldn't help but find this a positive thing for his sister.
I never thought Ephram was victimized by Bright, I suppose it's the principle of the matter. I just don't like people like that but by showing us other aspects of his life and how he overcame that attitude I grew to like him. I suppose I just imagined him and his boys picking on other guys (who unlike ephram could not stand up for themselves). It's just an issue of my principle on the issue. You know what they say about bad first impressions, but the show was well written enough that I definitely saw past that and grew to love him.