Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 01:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Is Everwood your favorite show of all time?

I honestly feel like Everwood is the best drama on tv, and quite possibly, the best drama, ever, on tv . I find that the brilliant writing, outstanding acting and the superb chemistry between the entire cast, are three of the main things that make this show extraordinary.

For me, Everwood is my favorite drama of all time and Friends is my favorite comedy of all time. These two phenomenal shows stand out, above and beyond anything else I have ever seen on tv, and probably ever will.

What about everyone else? How does Everwood fit in for you as far as your favorite shows? What is it about Everwood that you love?
Auror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 03:14 AM
Extreme Fan

I love Everwood a lot it's the best show on the WB without question and the best teen show on T.V if you ask me. But my love for Dawson's Creek season 1 and 2 will always be my favorite. What I love about Everwood is it's realness. It's much more professional then the other teen shows. Everwood is without question on my top 5 list.

Joey:I know that there's a part of me that will be in love with you for the rest of my life.
Dawson and Joey
COOLCAT200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:39 PM
Elite Fan

While I do think that Everwood has a firm place in favorite shows all time, I'd still have to say that Buffy was and is the show that I'd tag as my overall favorite. Buffy was the first 'must see' show in my life...so much so that I once drove 30 minutes back to my dorm just to make sure that I had the VCR set right.

Everwood has many of Buffy's best qualities though. There is a deft blending of humor and drama, and the quality of both shows is excellent. For my money, Everwood is the second best show the WB has ever had (behind Buffy).
Jake: Cold-blooded but fair.
The Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:31 PM
Administrator

That’s a tough question, Michelle, but a good one. I do feel that Everwood is by far the most engaging and well acted drama that I’ve ever watched, but like COOLCAT, no show ever touched my heart and got me as passionately interested in posting about it like Season One and Season Two Dawson’s Creek did, so at this point anyway, I’d have to say that Dawson’s Creek is my favorite show of all time, even though it got worse and worse as the years went on.

With that being said, however, I feel that the writing, acting, and production values of Everwood are far superior to that of Dawson’s Creek, and as we’ve seen so far this season, the quality of what we’re seeing on Everwood is staying excellent, while Dawson’s Creek started going downhill in Season Three, and by the time the show ended its run, it had given new meaning to the concept of “bad television,” so I feel that Everwood will most likely end up being my favorite show of all time.

P.S. Michelle, please check your Private Messages.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry D

P.S. Michelle, please check your Private Messages.
Thanks Jerry. Already done.

COOCAT & Jerry.. I see your excellent points regarding season 1/2 of Dawson's Creek. I would have completely agreed with you guys before watching Everwood. I never thought that any show could take the place of my love for early seasons Dawson's Creek... Until I watched season 1 Everwood. I was simply captivated and I have never, ever loved a COMPLETE season like season 1 Everwood. E/A grabbed me from the moment that Amy ran after purple haired Ephram at school. And the chemistry between Greg/Emily? Unreal. I have never seen better. And more importantly, I have never loved an entire cast of characters on a show like I do with Everwood. I literally, care about every, single character on Everwood. The only other show I can say that I instantly fell in love with every character was Friends. I can't say that about Dawson's Creek. Especially Mitch and Gail in season 1. Ugh. But yes, early seasons Dawson's Creek is phenomenal, but for me, Everwood took over that number one spot. I can literally pop in my season 1 Everwood DVD, and watch every word of every episode and be just as captivated as I was while first watching it.

The Crow.. That is hilarious about driving back 30 minutes for Buffy. I never watched Buffy but my very best friend is a Buffy fanatic and still is. I have also read the reviews and know how much the critics loved this outstanding show.

Jerry.. You bring up an excellent point. Dawson's Creek declined in quality as the seasons progressed, and with Everwood, we know that as of season 3, the writing and quality is still picture perfect. However, it still might be too early to tell with Everwood. Maybe it will pull a Dawson's Creek where the writing and storylines decrease in quality? I don't think this will be the case, but anything is possible.

Last edited by Auror; 11-29-2004 at 09:54 PM
Old 12-03-2004, 04:43 PM
Moderator Support Team

Next to dawson's creek.... i think both shows have good tv quatlity on the wb.... if you think about... but i have to admit dc lacked in later seasons.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Yeah, I think the jury is still out on what the last couple of seasons of Everwood is going to be like. Will it still be as phenomenal as the first couple, or will it go off track and decrease in quality? I guess we shall see in due time.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Part-Time Fan

Great topic!

Season 1 of Everwood is my 2nd fave run of episodic TV of all time. Season 1 thru the Xmas episode of Season 2 West Wing is tops in my book. And it's interesting Buffy gets mentioned because early Buffy episodes rank high on my list too. I'm not keen on overboard drama in TV. I like a strong mix of humor with the "drama". Because of that, early episodes of Northern Exposure would probably be #3 on my list.

Note the "early" part in all these shows. I'm honestly beginning to think high quality creativity can only be sustained so long on TV.

I have Season 1 of West Wing on DVD. I'm gonna put Season 2 of WW and Season 1 of Everwood on my Xmas wish list. And the only other TV show I have on DVD...

Er... uhhh...

(Whispers - Alien Nation. Shhh, that's just between you and me - grin)

-Aquillea
Aquillea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Addicted Fan

I think everwood is up there as one of my all time faves along with DC, ER, Law and order SVU and Crossing jordan. In fact, Everwood is the only show i watch on the WB on a regular basis.
-maria
The Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Re: Great topic!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquillea

Note the "early" part in all these shows. I'm honestly beginning to think high quality creativity can only be sustained so long on TV.
*nods* I think you are absolutely correct. From my experience, I found this to be so true. The only exception for me is Friends. Yes, this is a comedy first and foremost, but Friends was never shy of putting in some good drama here and there, and whenever they did integrate the drama, I found those episodes as being some of the best ones. For me, Friends is the only show that sustained greatness throughout the entire ten amazing years. Yes, there were seasons here and there that were slightly weaker than others, but there really wasn't a set pattern of when those seasons were in the time table. Look at when Friends won the best comedy emmy along with Jen Aniston's best actress emmy? Season 8. Lisa Kudrow won an emmy years before that. Although, the Friends cast never even started to submit best actors/actresses awards until the year Jen won because they all considered themselves as "supporting actors." So, if they would have submitted earlier, they would have won many more awards. Anyway, Friends is the only show that I have ever seen where it sustained excellent quality throughout the entire series run.

Everwood has the potential to be in this rare category. Again, only time will tell.

Quote:
(Whispers - Alien Nation. Shhh, that's just between you and me - grin)

Last edited by Auror; 12-03-2004 at 11:28 PM
Old 12-04-2004, 01:48 AM
Part-Time Fan

Well actually...

Although I wasn't fond of it's series finale... M*A*S*H was also awesome for most of its run and is maybe the only show that I like early episodes less well... cuz there was more 'locker-room humor' and less character development.

For me, one reason comedies fare better in the long haul is that... when they get more serious over time it's OK, cuz they started off-balance in favor of funny. For me, the best dramas start off well balanced with drama and humor... and they all get progressively darker... because more is better and darker makes for 'serious art' as opposed to fluff.

Hercules: the Legenday Journeys, Xena: Warrior Princess, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, West Wing, Everwood...

All these shows started out with healthy senses of humor. Yes, Xena was darker than Hercules... Angel was darker than Buffy... But none of these shows took themselves too seriously when they started out. They seemed to appreciate the value of comedy. But then over the years each (we'll have to see about Everwood but much of Season 2 was sure a downer.) turned away from the comedy that I found very importent to my enjoyment of the shows. It's easiest to illustrate in fantasy genre shows. First they'll have a character get beat up. But then it's 'been there done that' gotta have them nearly die. But where do you go after that? I know... we'll have everyone think the character died but it's really just a ruse. Now what? OK... let's actually kill off the character, but because of some potion... spell... time travelling... bargain with the gods... we bring the character back to life again... and so on...

Sigh.

'More' doesn't necessarily mean more interesting and, quite frankly, darker doesn't actually equate to deeper/more highly evolved... more worthy of accolades. It's like "character growth" must equate to more and more misery... Whassup wid dat? To me, cultivating a healthy sense of humor is a very important part of character development. Everything is a crisis with children because they haven't experienced enough of life's hardships to really put things in perspective. For instance, I went back east last month for my grandmother's funeral. My sister had arranged for a floral basket from the both of us... but when we set eyes on it... Let's just say it was "differently abled" in the aesthetics department. Now this was a somewhat stressful time and a decade ago we might have burst into tears... instead we laughed. Life as we know it wasn't going to stop just cuz our flower arrangement had bizarre color combinations. {smile}

TV writers seem to think darker is deeper and thus more meaningful. So good comedies are more likely to get richer with age as they blend humor and drama... good dramas are more likely to get tiresome with age as they search for bigger drama which equates to more outlandish storylines... or darker storylines... or both... i.e. MELOdrama.

-Aquillea

Last edited by Aquillea; 12-04-2004 at 02:09 AM
Aquillea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 02:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Re: Well actually...

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquillea
Although I wasn't fond of it's series finale... M*A*S*H was also awesome for most of its run and is maybe the only show that I like early episodes less well... cuz there was more 'locker-room humor' and less character development.
Great one. Although I haven't seen the entire series as a whole, my parents did, and were captivated by the show in every way possible.

Quote:
For me, one reason comedies fare better in the long haul is that... when they get more serious over time it's OK, cuz they started off-balance in favor of funny. For me, the best dramas start off well balanced with drama and humor... and they all get progressively darker... because more is better and darker makes for 'serious art' as opposed to fluff.
Oh man, I couldn't agree more. So, so true. The recipe you described for comedies is a perfect definition of why Friends succeeded in the transition from strict comedy to the integration of drama. And how you described the best dramas is an exact definition of what defined Everwood in season 1. And they all get progressively darker.. and that would define season 2 Everwood for sure.

Quote:
All these shows started out with healthy senses of humor.
Man, I never noticed this before! Excellent point. I haven't seen every show you used in your example, but for the ones that I have such as Everwood, Buffy, Angel, it is absolutely true.

Quote:
'More' doesn't necessarily mean more interesting and, quite frankly, darker doesn't actually equate to deeper/more highly evolved... more worthy of accolades.[
*nods* I can't tell you how many times I have heard others state that they don't like a television show anymore because "it has become way too dark and less interesting."

Quote:
It's like "character growth" must equate to more and more misery... Whassup wid dat?
No idea. Why is this the general rule with writers and creators of shows? It doesn't make any sense to me at all. *shakes head*

Quote:
To me, cultivating a healthy sense of humor is a very important part of character development.
Isn't that the truth? The most adored and endearing characters on tv shows are the ones that have a healthy sense of humor. That is fact.

Quote:
TV writers seem to think darker is deeper and thus more meaningful. So good comedies are more likely to get richer with age as they blend humor and drama... good dramas are more likely to get tiresome with age as they search for bigger drama which equates to more outlandish storylines... or darker storylines... or both... i.e. MELOdrama.

-Aquillea
Wow, you have this down to a science. Perfect depiction.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

There are three dramas that I love more than anything and those are Everwood, Without a Trace and Once & Again. They are all excellent, A+ dramas in their own way. If I must put them in order, I would say Everwood is my fave, it's just so captivating and the acting and writing is amazing. And I like all the main characters which doesn't usually happen. It's just one of the best, if not the best shows on tv.

Laura| icon: sourburst@FF
Lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 10:27 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazy
There are three dramas that I love more than anything and those are Everwood, Without a Trace and Once & Again. They are all excellent, A+ dramas in their own way. If I must put them in order, I would say Everwood is my fave, it's just so captivating and the acting and writing is amazing. And I like all the main characters which doesn't usually happen. It's just one of the best, if not the best shows on tv.
Even though I missed pretty much all of season 2, I'm loving me some Without A Trace as well. I've never really been able to get into CSI, but I was hooked by WAT from day one.

MMMMMMMM.....Poppy Montgomery.....

Oh. Excuse that last part. That's just me being a typical male (yet again).
Jake: Cold-blooded but fair.
The Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 06:19 AM
Master Fan

I love Everwood because it's special show.I mean nothing has been done like this before.

The actors are really good too but no I can't say that Everwood is my favorite show ever.
Insurgent
¨¨~ J Erlotiel L ~¨¨ is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top