Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Master Fan

Everwood Series Discussion Thread #4: What if Nina was already divorced and had Sam when she met Andy, how do you think their relationship...

EVERWOOD'S 2018 DISCUSSION THREAD

Welcome to the 2018 Everwood discussion thread! We were talking as mods and diehards of the show, and we're very interested in getting more discussion flowing on this board that pertains directly to the show.

The point of this thread is to have as many people contribute to discussion as possible. Part of the reason we're doing this is to keep the post counts up, but a much bigger reason is that we'll always know we have something Everwood-related to discuss, even though it's no longer on the air.

Rules are as follows:

1. Anyone is most welcome to join at any time. The more the merrier!

2. Please help us come up with good discussion questions.

3. This thread is generally a free-flowing discussion where we determine when we change discussion questions based how how the discussion is going.

4. This board has always been mature. This board is so unique and the maturity level is one of many reasons why. With that said, let's keep the discussions/debates going in a healthy manner. Of course we are not always going to agree but that is the beauty of why our discussions are unique... to be able to receive as many point of views and thoughts as possible on Everwood. Let's continue to keep it mature and healthy just like our norm as we debate/discuss our fabulous show.

Thank you and let's get to it!

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 08-13-2018 at 07:24 PM
Old 09-04-2017, 09:01 PM
Master Fan

Last page of the previous thread.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Thanks for the new one!
Old 09-04-2017, 09:28 PM
Master Fan

Last edited by secretk; 10-03-2018 at 10:12 AM
Old 09-05-2017, 03:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
I completely agree with this . Bright was giving advise that would work for him. Basically whenever Bright advised Ephram he had himself in mindset. Bright is the guy that would want to have sex with college girl. Bright is the type of guy to go to a concert of a college girl he slept with. Bright is the type of guy to look for drama free relationship where sex is involved. Basically through his advise we could see part of his personality. And no matter how much Bright changed, this part of him still existed.
Excellent points Koni. Yes, Ephram and Bright were completely different people with totally different views on love, sex, and relationships, and although Bright did mature due to his relationship with Hannah, his self admittedly shallow side still existed.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 09-05-2017, 04:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new thread, Koni!!
Old 09-05-2017, 04:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:

Yes maybe the key was that in fact Andy and Nina started out as friends. And maybe this is what Nina needed. Nina was submissive both to Jake and her ex husband (don't remember his name). In comparison she was so not submissive with Andy. Then again I also do not believe that Andy liked submissive women. From what we saw in the show he was not into that type of women. Julia was not submissive either. She had different approach with Andy compared to Nina, but she also was not passive.
Maybe Andy didn't like submissive women, but he did like to be in control. Therefore he probably would be happier with a docile submissive woman. I guess the bottom line with him is that he would accept a woman who was assertive and didn't take any **** if he truly respected and loved her.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

At first I didn't mind Nina/Jake cause I thought Andy wasn't into Nina like that and she really needed to move on. But, I wish she had broken up with him and not the other way around.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:59 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I completely agree with this . Bright was giving advise that would work for him. Basically whenever Bright advised Ephram he had himself in mindset. Bright is the guy that would want to have sex with college girl. Bright is the type of guy to go to a concert of a college girl he slept with. Bright is the type of guy to look for drama free relationship where sex is involved. Basically through his advise we could see part of his personality. And no matter how much Bright changed, this part of him still existed.
This is so true, which is why Ephram didn't really take it to heart for himself personally because they are two very different people. I think in season 2, Ephram still lacked some maturity so what Bright said about Madison kind of made more sense compared to what he was saying about Stephanie in season 4. Ephram had matured greatly in season 4. The thought of just having sex with Stephanie to go there, and go there while knowing he was still very much in love with Amy was not remotely what Ephram wanted.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Maybe Andy didn't like submissive women, but he did like to be in control. Therefore he probably would be happier with a docile submissive woman. I guess the bottom line with him is that he would accept a woman who was assertive and didn't take any **** if he truly respected and loved her.
How would you see Julia back in NYC? Was she strong or more submissive? I don't even really know? Obviously she found love in other places (due to the broken marriage and Andy being emotionally absent) and was a wonderful mother to her children but I wonder what she was like with Andy as a rule.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
How would you see Julia back in NYC? Was she strong or more submissive? I don't even really know? Obviously she found love in other places (due to the broken marriage and Andy being emotionally absent) and was a wonderful mother to her children but I wonder what she was like with Andy as a rule.
I think that Julia was probably strong, but I think that she had grown completely frustrated with Andy’s workaholic ways and his lack of interaction with their children that she probably became emotionally disengaged from him. I think that’s why she cheated, to fill that emotional void. We saw in flashbacks that she tried to warn him that life was passing him by and he was missing out on what was important, and it took her death to, as she put it, “wake him up.” Therefore, I didn’t see Julia as passive at all, I think she was simply frustrated that all Andy seemed to care about was his practice.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 09-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Great thoughts, you guys.

Yes, I do view Julia as strong woman but as their marriage crumbled more and more she pretty much gave up and went to someone else for emotional support while embracing her children even more. I could also see her sort of playing it a certain way with Andy to try and connect and get him to see the light. It just didn't work. That is why when she told Andy about Everwood, it really was almost like she knew she wasn't going to be around for the long haul (Spiritually she just knew) and probably figured Everwood would save her children because they would eventually have a real father.

Last edited by jediwands; 09-06-2017 at 06:01 PM
Old 09-06-2017, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Excellent thoughts Michelle. Yes, I think people often do know that they won't be there and they take steps to make sure that their loved ones are in a good place.

One thing that struck me when I watched the Ephram and Amy scene that Betty posted is just how incredibly talented all the actors on this show were, and how they were light years ahead of the actors that you'd typically find in a WB/CW show. Just look at how wonderful and poignant Emily was in that scene, and how she just broke our hearts conveying how brokenhearted Amy was by Ephram's cruel words and coldness. As the saying goes, she hit a home run in that scene and gave us an unforgettable performance, all at the tender age of 18. Everwood really had it all, incredible writing and dialog and incredibly talented actors to depict the characters that won over all of our hearts.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:15 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Excellent thoughts Michelle. Yes, I think people often do know that they won't be there and they take steps to make sure that their loved ones are in a good place.
I strongly believe this too. I can actually recall many moments with loved ones that have passed on. Pulling everything together, on some level they had to have known and it was sort of an indirect preparation. Looking back on this stuff relieves some stress and sadness too because it truly does seem like this was all meant to be.

On Everwood, Julia really did behave in this manner too. The persistence and the way she pointed out Everwood was profound. Of course, Andy's encounters with her in season 1 too. I know Berlanti basically left it up to our own interpretation whether Andy was truly interacting with her. My belief is he certainly was. I really liked the Spiritual aspect of this show. Ephram/Amy were constantly written in a very Spiritual/emotionally connected way too. I will always firmly believe Berlanti learned from Dawson's Creek, writing Ephram/Amy in a way that Kevin probably intended to write Dawson/Joey. That is the one thing I can thank Dawson's Creek for... I believe indirectly Ephram/Amy was created as a result of the mistakes on that show.

Quote:
One thing that struck me when I watched the Ephram and Amy scene that Betty posted is just how incredibly talented all the actors on this show were, and how they were light years ahead of the actors that you'd typically find in a WB/CW show. Just look at how wonderful and poignant Emily was in that scene, and how she just broke our hearts conveying how brokenhearted Amy was by Ephram's cruel words and coldness. As the saying goes, she hit a home run in that scene and gave us an unforgettable performance, all at the tender age of 18. Everwood really had it all, incredible writing and dialog and incredibly talented actors to depict the characters that won over all of our hearts.
Outstanding thoughts, Jerry. I agree wholeheartedly. If you quickly scan some of the present shows on TV... they are not close to the quality we had in Everwood, both in writing, acting talent, production, etc. Honestly, the only present show I can connect to that has "Everwood-like Qualities" would be Chesapeake Shores. It's not even on a main network either. So many people are missing out on quality TV. Everwood was so unique. It's really difficult to copy such flawlessness. The acting, writing, production was so good on Everwood, I don't even think the WB and later, the CW could wrap their brains around the talent and quality. It is like they didn't comprehend because their formula for the network wasn't to produce such quality... they wanted teen soaps, way lower quality with hot characters instead of the brilliant aspects we had in Everwood. It is almost as if they rejected the show as a result.

Last edited by jediwands; 09-07-2017 at 01:23 PM
Old 09-19-2017, 01:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Here's a new episode discussion question:

What storyline do you feel wasn't executed properly? How would you have changed the storyline instead?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread