Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Everwood Series Discussion Thread #4: Does it bother anyone that Ephram didn't break up with Stephanie before the Ferris Wheel scene?

EVERWOOD'S 2017 DISCUSSION THREAD

Welcome to the 2017 Everwood discussion thread! We were talking as mods and diehards of the show, and we're very interested in getting more discussion flowing on this board that pertains directly to the show.

The point of this thread is to have as many people contribute to discussion as possible. Part of the reason we're doing this is to keep the post counts up, but a much bigger reason is that we'll always know we have something Everwood-related to discuss, even though it's no longer on the air.

Rules are as follows:

1. Anyone is most welcome to join at any time. The more the merrier!

2. Please help us come up with good discussion questions.

3. This thread is generally a free-flowing discussion where we determine when we change discussion questions based how how the discussion is going.

4. This board has always been mature. This board is so unique and the maturity level is one of many reasons why. With that said, let's keep the discussions/debates going in a healthy manner. Of course we are not always going to agree but that is the beauty of why our discussions are unique... to be able to receive as many point of views and thoughts as possible on Everwood. Let's continue to keep it mature and healthy just like our norm as we debate/discuss our fabulous show.

Thank you and let's get to it!
No siempre los hace felices (a los humanos) obtener lo que quieren, ni siempre lo hace infelices no obtenerlo. Si la felicidad esta hecha de todo aquello que se pueda alcanzar, solo es posible la infelicidad.
secretk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:01 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Last page of the previous thread.
No siempre los hace felices (a los humanos) obtener lo que quieren, ni siempre lo hace infelices no obtenerlo. Si la felicidad esta hecha de todo aquello que se pueda alcanzar, solo es posible la infelicidad.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Thanks for the new one!
The Apt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:28 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
Thanks for the new one!
You are welcome !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
That's another good thing about this show. Not everyone changes for the better. Some people change for the worse.
True . And this definitely happens in real life!

Quote:
That's an excellent point that I never thought of. Maybe it was because Andy and Nina were friends, where Nina and her husband and Nina and Jake were never friends, so there was a mutual respect between Andy and Nina that didn't exist in her other two relationships, so she wasn't afraid to stand up to him or disagree with him when she thought he was wrong. Nina seemed so passive with and subservient to Jake, and I hate that Jake was the one to tell her that she needed to go back to Andy, and I felt that if he didn't, she would have just gone off with him and have lived a miserable life.
Yes maybe the key was that in fact Andy and Nina started out as friends. And maybe this is what Nina needed. Nina was submissive both to Jake and her ex husband (don't remember his name). In comparison she was so not submissive with Andy. Then again I also do not believe that Andy liked submissive women. From what we saw in the show he was not into that type of women. Julia was not submissive either. She had different approach with Andy compared to Nina, but she also was not passive.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:30 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
That's an excellent point, Koni. You might be dead on here. You are right, even in season 1, Nina wasn't taking crap from Andy yet she rolled over for her cheating husband and later on, Jake. It's very possible you are bang on and it was deliberate... another way to show how meant to be Andy and Nina truly were too, along with Andy just being the perfect fit for Nina. It makes me feel better now about Jake pushing Nina to Andy in the series finale. She's there now, the real Nina exists, and she won't take sht from her future husband in Andy.
The cool thing about Nina and Andy is that she wasn't taking crap from Andy from the first moment she met him. At that point they were not even friends. They were neighbors that did not know each other. It's like Andy allowed Nina to feel free to show true herself.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:33 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
To be fair to Bright though, he had seen that Amy had rejected Ephram after they had slept together and she didn't really indicate at all that she wanted to get back together with him, and Bright saw that Stephanie was fun and attractive and that she really liked Ephram, so in his mind, he thought that Ephram should have slept with Stephanie when he had the chance and he thought he should be with her. Another thing to remember is that Ephram's relationship with Stephanie was drama-free, and Bright had been a witness to all the drama in Ephram and Amy's relationship. I also think that Bright and Ephram had two different mindsets when it came to relationships as Bright was more about sex (although he made an exception with Hannah but he eventually strayed and cheated on her which ended their relationship) where Ephram was much more about love and romance, especially when he saw what could happen when he was in a relationship primarily based on sex like his relationship with Madison was.
I completely agree with this . Bright was giving advise that would work for him. Basically whenever Bright advised Ephram he had himself in mindset. Bright is the guy that would want to have sex with college girl. Bright is the type of guy to go to a concert of a college girl he slept with. Bright is the type of guy to look for drama free relationship where sex is involved. Basically through his advise we could see part of his personality. And no matter how much Bright changed, this part of him still existed.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
I completely agree with this . Bright was giving advise that would work for him. Basically whenever Bright advised Ephram he had himself in mindset. Bright is the guy that would want to have sex with college girl. Bright is the type of guy to go to a concert of a college girl he slept with. Bright is the type of guy to look for drama free relationship where sex is involved. Basically through his advise we could see part of his personality. And no matter how much Bright changed, this part of him still existed.
Excellent points Koni. Yes, Ephram and Bright were completely different people with totally different views on love, sex, and relationships, and although Bright did mature due to his relationship with Hannah, his self admittedly shallow side still existed.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:21 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Thanks for the new thread, Koni!!
Old 09-05-2017, 04:24 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:

Yes maybe the key was that in fact Andy and Nina started out as friends. And maybe this is what Nina needed. Nina was submissive both to Jake and her ex husband (don't remember his name). In comparison she was so not submissive with Andy. Then again I also do not believe that Andy liked submissive women. From what we saw in the show he was not into that type of women. Julia was not submissive either. She had different approach with Andy compared to Nina, but she also was not passive.
Maybe Andy didn't like submissive women, but he did like to be in control. Therefore he probably would be happier with a docile submissive woman. I guess the bottom line with him is that he would accept a woman who was assertive and didn't take any **** if he truly respected and loved her.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:37 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

You are welcome, Betty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Maybe Andy didn't like submissive women, but he did like to be in control. Therefore he probably would be happier with a docile submissive woman. I guess the bottom line with him is that he would accept a woman who was assertive and didn't take any **** if he truly respected and loved her.
Good point! Andy was surgeon. Surgeons in general do like to be in control so yeah he would accept such woman under conditions .
Old 09-05-2017, 06:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

At first I didn't mind Nina/Jake cause I thought Andy wasn't into Nina like that and she really needed to move on. But, I wish she had broken up with him and not the other way around.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
This is so true, which is why Ephram didn't really take it to heart for himself personally because they are two very different people. I think in season 2, Ephram still lacked some maturity so what Bright said about Madison kind of made more sense compared to what he was saying about Stephanie in season 4. Ephram had matured greatly in season 4. The thought of just having sex with Stephanie to go there, and go there while knowing he was still very much in love with Amy was not remotely what Ephram wanted.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
How would you see Julia back in NYC? Was she strong or more submissive? I don't even really know? Obviously she found love in other places (due to the broken marriage and Andy being emotionally absent) and was a wonderful mother to her children but I wonder what she was like with Andy as a rule.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
How would you see Julia back in NYC? Was she strong or more submissive? I don't even really know? Obviously she found love in other places (due to the broken marriage and Andy being emotionally absent) and was a wonderful mother to her children but I wonder what she was like with Andy as a rule.
I think that Julia was probably strong, but I think that she had grown completely frustrated with Andy’s workaholic ways and his lack of interaction with their children that she probably became emotionally disengaged from him. I think that’s why she cheated, to fill that emotional void. We saw in flashbacks that she tried to warn him that life was passing him by and he was missing out on what was important, and it took her death to, as she put it, “wake him up.” Therefore, I didn’t see Julia as passive at all, I think she was simply frustrated that all Andy seemed to care about was his practice.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:18 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I think that Julia was probably strong, but I think that she had grown completely frustrated with Andy’s workaholic ways and his lack of interaction with their children that she probably became emotionally disengaged from him. I think that’s why she cheated, to fill that emotional void. We saw in flashbacks that she tried to warn him that life was passing him by and he was missing out on what was important, and it took her death to, as she put it “wake him up.” Therefore, I didn’t see Julia as passive at all, I think she was simply frustrated that all Andy seemed to care about was his practice.
In addition to this I see Julia using different approach than Nina. While Nina was completely frank and honest with Andy, I see Julia sometimes pretending to be passive with Andy while still going for what she wants, but in a subtle way. A lot of women actually do that. It fits in with the nice bubbly caring persona of woman, but the woman still basically gets what she wants.

I do however agree that in the end Julia was frustrated with him and in a way if you think about it her cheating is her showing that she is not passive. I agree that this deceit was a result of her frustration.
Reply   Post New Thread