Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2016, 06:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Excellent question, Michelle!

Why is Colin such a controversial character? Why do fans either love or hate him?

Colin was a controversial character because people either blamed his obnoxious behavior on his head injury or they blamed his obnoxious behavior on the fact that he was just obnoxious. I happened to believe the latter, and that's why I really didn't care for his character.
Other factors of disliking him could be because of loyalty to Ephram and not wanting anyone or anything to get in the way of a relationship between Ephram and Amy and, therefore, disliking everything about Colin.
Of course many people saw Colin at face value regardless of his threat to Amy/Ephram. They saw a young man who was injured and lost and sad and they felt for him and his journey back from a coma.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:31 AM
Addicted Fan

I agree, Betty. I think if you follow Colin's journey as an individual, you see him differently than you do if you follow it as a plotline in a story that's really focused on Amy/Ephram. As a roadblock to E/A, he's just a jerk who needs to hurry up and get out of the way. But as an individual....damn, he got served a really crappy hand and did his best to deal with that.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Taryn makes an excellent point

I think some feel he got dealt a pretty tough stuff and dealt with it the best he could.

I disagree

I think Colin was just an ass and never wanted to deal with anything, pre accident or post accident. We saw how he was during the accident when Bright was driving. We saw a little bit of how he was before the accident. He was completely in control of his actions then. What was his deal then? Poster boy had his problems and was a jerk to everyone is how he dealt with things? That's crap! Colin knew what he was doing. Colin treated Amy like crap and didn't care. He didn't have recourse. He was going to break up with her the next day if he wasn't...again...in the accident. He was a take no apologies type of guy. He was a bit nauseating how everyone worshiped him and he was just a jerk all the time.

There are plenty of reasons I don't like Colin and all of those attribute to everything before the accident. He had a little bit of remorse after his accident, that might be why people give him a break. He was in a coma for months and months and then wakes up to everything different. He wasn't supposed to wake up at all. Then he's sick, throwing up all the time, getting headaches. He saw everyone moving on without him. Amy could say she was with Colin after he woke up, but she wasn't. She was watching Ephram more than she was watching herself in the mirror and Amy Abbott loved a mirror

I just never have sympathy or him, no matter the situation. He created the situation, he caused the accident, he needs to live with the consequences.
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 07-11-2016, 09:34 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulfilledღ (View Post)
He was a bit nauseating how everyone worshiped him and he was just a jerk all the time.
That actually brings another question to my mind -

Do you think the writers changed their minds about "who" Colin was before the accident? Because I see a pretty big disconnect between the flashback scenes we were given and the way the townspeople talked about him. Nina, especially. She's a pretty good judge of character (of anyone she's not married to, at least ) and she talked about Colin like he really was the town's golden boy.

Maybe that's why I cut him more slack, personally. I tend to base my opinions about who he was pre-accident on what people say about him rather than the few flashback scenes we were given.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't think they changed his character. Some kids can put the charm on with others around them, but friends they show their true colors.

I'm thinking that the writers kind of played it by episode of how bad Colin's condition would be after he woke up and started getting back into society. That was an ever evolving issue.

But tbh, the Colin before the accident is only told by people of the town. Nina even worshiped him. He had everyone captivated. So we have that to go on. So people can see that as him being arrogant or a troubled kid who was just lashing out.
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 07-12-2016, 12:02 AM
Master Fan

It's weird how different we perceived Colin. Pre accident I never saw him as jerk to be honest. IMO we saw very little of him for me to have a proper opinion about him before the accident and without the brain trauma.

We knew that he wants to break up with Amy and basically that's the only thing I got from this flashback. And to me this wasn't also a jerk move. So he wanted to break up with the girl he was dating. That happens to a lot of people.

After he woke up there were moments where he wasn't nice but for me it was also because of his brain trauma.

I am not saying that he was perfect boy. Nah. He definitely was closer to Bright than to Ephram, but I also don't think that Bright was bully on a regular basis. I think that he was to Ephram, but due to other stuff and most probably also because of his own guilt over Colin.

So overall I think that Colin and Bright were like normal teenage boys. Sometimes they did bad stuff and acted out as most teenagers, but for the most part they weren't complete utter jerks.

The reason for me to think this way is Amy. Colin could have deceived people that are not close to him, but I doubt that he could pretend all the time around his girlfriend. Also the story that Amy told us about Colin getting off the bus to walk Amy home. Colin was in 3rd grade at this point. I don't think that boys develop that early to do stuff just for the sake of successful flirting. Colin did it because he wanted and because Amy was his friend's sister. And that is sweet thing to do.

And lastly while Bright wasn't the smartest one out there I also don't think that he was complete moron. I don't think that he would his sister to be dating complete jerk.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:09 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
So overall I think that Colin and Bright were like normal teenage boys. Sometimes they did bad stuff and acted out as most teenagers, but for the most part they weren't complete utter jerks.
Yeah, that pretty much describes the way I see him too. I had forgotten about the story where Amy got left behind on the field trip and Colin came back for her. That does show a lot about the kind of person he was.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I might have a different take on it since I started the series so late. It's just Amy was so nice and sweet and it seemed like he was just stringing her along. I know Amy took part in it to with being so focused on Colin.
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 07-12-2016, 11:31 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I might have a different take on it since I started the series so late. It's just Amy was so nice and sweet and it seemed like he was just stringing her along. I know Amy took part in it to with being so focused on Colin.
I also watched the series late. I guess huge part of this is what we are as person and this shapes the way we interpret things.

I did think that Amy was really focused on Colin. Not only this, but in her head the moment Colin wakes up he will be the same like before the accident. She was so determined to fight for him that she never thought about how Colin would be if he wakes up. It was huge stress and surprise for her to deal with this changed frustrated Colin. This thought hadn't crossed her mind at all. Amy was completely focused on helping Colin as quick as possible to get to the way he was before the accident.

Problem was Colin was never going to be the same. And honestly he knew it, but everyone else around him didn't know it. As a result Colin was pressured by everyone to get back quickly to who he was which in a result made him even more frustrated than he was. Combine this with his brain trauma anyway and I had for me explanation for his behavior.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patirica
I think Colin was just an ass and never wanted to deal with anything, pre accident or post accident. We saw how he was during the accident when Bright was driving. We saw a little bit of how he was before the accident. He was completely in control of his actions then. What was his deal then? Poster boy had his problems and was a jerk to everyone is how he dealt with things? That's crap! Colin knew what he was doing. Colin treated Amy like crap and didn't care. He didn't have recourse. He was going to break up with her the next day if he wasn't...again...in the accident. He was a take no apologies type of guy. He was a bit nauseating how everyone worshiped him and he was just a jerk all the time.

There are plenty of reasons I don't like Colin and all of those attribute to everything before the accident. He had a little bit of remorse after his accident, that might be why people give him a break. He was in a coma for months and months and then wakes up to everything different. He wasn't supposed to wake up at all. Then he's sick, throwing up all the time, getting headaches. He saw everyone moving on without him. Amy could say she was with Colin after he woke up, but she wasn't. She was watching Ephram more than she was watching herself in the mirror and Amy Abbott loved a mirror

I just never have sympathy or him, no matter the situation. He created the situation, he caused the accident, he needs to live with the consequences.
I agree with all of this. My initial reaction while watching the series the first time around (and a few times after that) is precisely what you're saying here, Patricia.

I did a rewatch fairly recently (about a year ago) and softened up a bit. However, I believe it was more wishful thinking over anything else. I wanted to see Colin differently.

I guess the moral of the story is I can't change how I feel, and my thoughts have always been in line with yours, Patricia, and for all the reasons you list above.

Another thing... I never made my opinion of Colin while seeing it as an Ephram/Amy shipper either. Shipping Ephram/Amy has zero to do with my opinion of Colin. Berlanti made me way too confident in the Ephram/Amy story. Thus, Colin was never a threat in this regard. He made it crystal clear from The Pilot what Ephram and Amy's story was all about... they were the real deal. I even knew they were getting the happy ending based on The Pilot (so rare, but this is Everwood), and for sure by the time Irv's VO hit when he talked about the "handsome prince and the beautiful princess" and how fairytale-like that episode and those words were. Berlanti told us plainly that Ephram/Amy were THE romantic pairing of the series.

So I never felt threatened by Colin as an Ephram/Amy shipper. I knew they were endgame regardless.

For that matter, my hatred for Madison was never due to being an Ephram/Amy shipper either. I just hated her, lol, and never felt threatened. I knew the adult babysitter and Ephram were never ending up together so being an Ephram/Amy shipper had zero to do with my hatred for Madison. She was talented, she made me hate her just because she was Madison.

I just can't get the formula out of my mind...

Colin was breaking up with Amy very soon but his accident prevented him from going there. He treated Amy like crap too. Bright worshipped him and we know back then Bright was a bully who wasn't a very nice dude either. You are who you associate with so we know Colin had a similar mentality and personality as Bright as a rule.

The accident happened and we saw a very innocent, confused Colin who was nice and even reached out to Ephram. That wasn't his true self. Now, the maniac, out of control version of Colin we saw who was even bullying Bright because he couldn't control his anger I will admit was due to his brain injury. However, certainly, the innocent version of Colin we witnessed right after his accident wasn't Colin either. I believe his real personality was in between the innocent version and the maniac version... still, for me, not a personality I find attractive.

Could Colin have changed and matured if the accident wouldn't have happened? Sure, but he would have gone there without Amy as his girlfriend because they were destined for a break up regardless.

Last edited by jediwands; 07-14-2016 at 08:01 PM
Old 07-14-2016, 08:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Betty, when did you start disliking Colin? Was it immediately? Was there a certain moment you remember thinking you couldn't stand him?
Old 07-14-2016, 08:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
I agree. I remember the Colin and Bright type in high school. Heck, they were around the popular group I was involved in. That said, I was never close with that type. They were involved in my group but I kept my distance. They were the extroverted, loud, sometimes jerky guys that could make an entire room of people laugh but also could be very annoying and deliberately stupid.

Just not my type at all. I preferred the less loud jock guys who were way more grounded and not afraid to have intelligent conversation.

What bothered me about Colin wasn't really who Colin was as a rule... I know his type... but it's how he treated Amy and Ephram. That's when I had a problem with him. Another reason is I didn't like how we were shoved down our throats what a golden boy he was without seeing it. If you are going to make those major statements and declarations we need to SEE it with our own two eyes to believe it. Nina sounded like she was in love with Colin, practically, while talking to Ephram about him. I found the entire conversation pretty bizarre. We just never actually witnessed what Nina was talking about.

There was basically one moment I really felt for Colin and saw past his arrogance and at times, jerky self... it was when he was saying goodbye to his father before the surgery. I think deep down he knew he wasn't going to make it. I believe that was the most genuine, decent version of Colin I had ever seen.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I just viewed Colin as the kid who had everything going for him. He had college, friends, a girlfriend, a future outside of Everwood. A small town that most would be thankful to break out of, even if it were just a collegiate four years. But he pissed it all away. Drinking partying, not that Bright didn't do it either. But Colin was always the one step further guy. One step further and drink another beer. One step further and drive a little faster. There was never a slow down and look at what's around you. He was always wanted to be one step ahead of everyone else.

I think Colin made it to what everyone thought he was. Even Nina would date him if they were somehow the same age in high school. He was what the town wanted him to be. The number one guy that played football, had all the friends. He was a daredevil with no heart in it at all. He didn't care what happened. He didn't care what people got hurt in the process. So all in all....he didn't care. That's the moral of why I don't really like him and probably will never find a soft spot for him.

Then coming back after waking up for so long in a coma. He had to deal with the ramifications of the guy he was. Yeah, that's a hard pill to swallow, it always has been. With Colin's brain not where it used to be and really not that strong, he didn't know how to deal. So he went back to his old ways and yeah, people let him. Everyone wanted Colin Hart to be who he used to be. The great basketball player, the guy always up for a party no matter what day of the week it was. He always went a hundred miles an hour until one time he crashed and then eventually burned.
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 07-14-2016, 10:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
I agree with all of this. My initial reaction while watching the series the first time around (and a few times after that) is precisely what you're saying here, Patricia.
Glad I'm not alone in this Michelle

Quote:
I did a rewatch fairly recently (about a year ago) and softened up a bit. However, I believe it was more wishful thinking over anything else. I wanted to see Colin differently.
I always hope that maybe it'll turn out differently. Not that the scenes will be different or his life span would be different. But my take on it would be different. Like you Michelle, I want to sympathize with Colin. The boy was suffering with a brain injury and a lot of other mental ramifications. People honestly felt sorry for him. So badly I want to feel sorry for him. But I just can't go there. I feel like if I feel sorry for him then it's like I think it's okay for the things he has done. It's not. I can't forgive him. Yeah Bright was driving the car but who was really driving Bright? That's the question. Bright and everyone else were so enamored with Colin that they did anything he said. He knew it. He knew people worshiped him and he took total advantage of it. Yeah, who wouldn't, but he took it to extremes. And with it being a small town, there's nothing he couldn't get away with.

Quote:
Shipping Ephram/Amy has zero to do with my opinion of Colin.
I never thought of Colin in any way when seeing Amy happy with Ephram. Sure Colin was slightly the reason why Amy approached Ephram in the first place to get the Andy have a surgery done. But other than that, their relationship had nothing to do with Colin. It had to do with them and getting it right, making every moment count.

Quote:
it crystal clear from The Pilot what Ephram and Amy's story was all about... they were the real deal.
They were no joke. It was a connection that didn't have anything to do with anyone else. Ephram was ready to fight for Amy and not because she had a crappy boyfriend. He would've fought for her, and he did, because that's the girl he wanted. Ephram was always one who knew what he wanted. No matter what it took to get there. Amy was the only reason Ephram was alive in Everwood. Otherwise he would've gone back to New York with Jacob (which we've discussed before). Amy saved Ephram and yeah Ephram saved her right back.

Quote:
For that matter, my hatred for Madison was never due to being an Ephram/Amy shipper either. I just hated her, lol, and never felt threatened. I knew the adult babysitter and Ephram were never ending up together so being an Ephram/Amy shipper had zero to do with my hatred for Madison. She was talented, she made me hate her just because she was Madison.
Their relationship felt so uncomfortable. It was all about sex every time they were together. Sure Ephram being only sixteen years old, that's a given. But Madison being 21. I felt so bad for him when all her friends surprised her for an epic night on her 21st birthday? It was like he played the part of the kid brother who couldn't go out with his big sister's friends for her big birthday party. That's all I think about when her friends show up and, once again, Ephram is reminded of how he doesn't fit into Madison's life outside of her being Deliah's baby sitter and sorta housekeeper.

Quote:
I believe his real personality was in between the innocent version and the maniac version... still, for me, not a personality I find attractive.
I wanted to think Colin was the good guy. He had good qualities but always fell into what people perceived of him. The crowd he hung out with did dumb things. He was with Bright, the bully, so naturally he became the bully too. He with Amy (I hold that term loosely) who saw hi has a knight and shining armor. A kid who could do no wrong. That's who he was. No matter what Colin did or said he would be forgiven and revered as the great Colin Hart.

Quote:
Could Colin have changed and matured if the accident wouldn't have happened? Sure, but he would have gone there without Amy as his girlfriend because they were destined for a break up regardless.
That brings me to a really good question Michelle!

this might be our next question, if not...later time maybe?

If Colin had woken up as a normal, good guy. The surgery worked and he was healthy, like a brand new kid. How would that have affected Everwood. He came out as a troubled kid and everyone was confused as to how to treat him and then he became ill. What if Colin Hart wasn't ever sick again outside of the common cold or maybe a flu virus. How would that have affected Everwood?
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 07-15-2016, 12:00 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I just viewed Colin as the kid who had everything going for him. He had college, friends, a girlfriend, a future outside of Everwood. A small town that most would be thankful to break out of, even if it were just a collegiate four years.
I agree with that. He was popular for a small town like Everwood.

Quote:
But he pissed it all away. Drinking partying, not that Bright didn't do it either. But Colin was always the one step further guy. One step further and drink another beer. One step further and drive a little faster. There was never a slow down and look at what's around you. He was always wanted to be one step ahead of everyone else.
This is where we differ because I didn't see any confirmation for that. If anything it was Bright who drove the car after drinking beer. Not Colin. But then again most teens actually do that because well they don't think about the consequences.

Quote:
I think Colin made it to what everyone thought he was. Even Nina would date him if they were somehow the same age in high school. He was what the town wanted him to be. The number one guy that played football, had all the friends.
I think that was 2 ways street. He was popular and people liked him and along the process he made himself to be what they wanted him to be and they liked him for the character he was showing to the crowd.

Quote:
He was a daredevil with no heart in it at all. He didn't care what happened. He didn't care what people got hurt in the process. So all in all....he didn't care. That's the moral of why I don't really like him and probably will never find a soft spot for him.
This is where I disagree too. We had no proof about that. At least I didn't see any proof of that. If he was like that he wouldn't stay behind for Amy in that school trip. We only saw that he wanted to break up with Amy and for me that was nothing bad. He had realized that what they have is not for eternity and that happens.

Quote:
Then coming back after waking up for so long in a coma. He had to deal with the ramifications of the guy he was. Yeah, that's a hard pill to swallow, it always has been.
The thing is Colin didn't remember who he was. What he hard time with was what people wanted him to be because they remembered unlike him.

Quote:
With Colin's brain not where it used to be and really not that strong, he didn't know how to deal. So he went back to his old ways and yeah, people let him.
For me Colin didn't remember who he was to return back to something. For me his acting out is actually normal. Not that every one in his situation would do the same, but actually a lot of people after such severe brain trauma act this way. So for me this has never been an indication about what he was in the past.

Quote:
Everyone wanted Colin Hart to be who he used to be. The great basketball player, the guy always up for a party no matter what day of the week it was. He always went a hundred miles an hour until one time he crashed and then eventually burned.
They did want that and he felt the pressure to get to the way he used to be. Only he couldn't do that because he wasn't and he sensed it that he would never go back to that. The brain damage was too big for him to recuperate fully.