Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2019, 04:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Everwood Series Discussion and General Rewatch Thread

EVERWOOD'S 2019 DISCUSSION THREAD

Welcome to the 2019 Everwood discussion thread! We were talking as mods and diehards of the show, and we're very interested in getting more discussion flowing on this board that pertains directly to the show.

The point of this thread is to have as many people contribute to discussion as possible. Part of the reason we're doing this is to keep the post counts up, but a much bigger reason is that we'll always know we have something Everwood-related to discuss, even though it's no longer on the air.

Rules are as follows:

1. Anyone is most welcome to join at any time. The more the merrier!

2. Please help us come up with good discussion questions.

3. This thread is generally a free-flowing discussion where we determine when we change discussion questions based how how the discussion is going.

4. This board has always been mature. This board is so unique and the maturity level is one of many reasons why. With that said, let's keep the discussions/debates going in a healthy manner. Of course we are not always going to agree but that is the beauty of why our discussions are unique... to be able to receive as many point of views and thoughts as possible on Everwood. Let's continue to keep it mature and healthy just like our norm as we debate/discuss our fabulous show.

In case you rewatch any of the episodes and want to talk about it...here is a list of the Four Seasons of Everwood....

EVERWOOD EPISODES

1 :01x01 - Pilot
2 :01x02 - The Great Doctor Brown
3 :01x03 - Friendly Fire
4 :01x04 - The Kissing Bridge
5 :01x05 - Deer God
6 :01x06 - The Doctor Is In
7 :01x07 - We Hold These Truths
8 :01x08 - Till Death Do Us Part
9 :01x09 - Turf Wars
10 :01x10 - Is There a Doctor in the House?
11 :01x11 - A Thanksgiving Tale
12 :01x12 - Vegetative State
13 :01x13 - The Price of Fame
14 :01x14 - Colin the Second
15 :01x15 - Snow Job
16 :01x16 - My Funny Valentine
17 :01x17 - Everwood Confidential
18 :01x18 - The Unveiling
19 :01x19 - The Miracle of Everwood
20 :01x20 - Moonlight Sonata
21 :01x21 - Episode 20
22 :01x22 - Fear Itself
23 :01x23 - Home
24 :02x01 - The Last of Summer
25 :02x02 - Extra Ordinary
26 :02x03 - My Brother's Keeper
27 :02x04 - East Meets West
28 :02x05 - Daddy's Little Girl
29 :02x06 - Blind Faith
30 :02x07 - Three Miners From Everwood
31 :02x08 - The Burden of Truth
32 :02x09 - Just Like in the Movies
33 :02x10 - Unhappy Holidays
34 :02x11 - Family Dynamics
35 :02x12 - Controlling Interest
36 :02x13 - Forget Me Not
37 :02x14 - No Sure Thing
38 :02x15 - The L Word
39 :02x16 - Unspoken Truths
40 :02x17 - Unfinished Business
41 :02x18 - Last Looks
42 :02x19 - Sick
43 :02x20 - Do or Die
44 :02x21 - Your Future Awaits
45 :02x22 - The Day Is Done
46 :03x01 - For Every Action...
47 :03x02 - ...There is a Reaction
48 :03x03 - Staking Claim
49 :03x04 - The Birds & the Batteries
50 :03x05 - Sacrifice
51 :03x06 - Shoot the Moon
52 :03x07 - Best Laid Plans
53 :03x08 - The Tipping Point
54 :03x09 - The Reflex
55 :03x10 - Need to Know
56 :03x11 - Complex Guilt
57 :03x12 - Giving Up the Girl
58 :03x13 - The Perfect Day
59 :03x14 - Since You've Been Gone
60 :03x15 - Surprise
61 :03x16 - A Moment in Manhattan (a.k.a. A Mountain Town)
62 :03x17 - Fate Accomplis
63 :03x18 - Fallout
64 :03x19 - Acceptance
65 :03x20 - He Who Hesitates
66 :03x21 - Oh The Places You'll Go
67 :03x22 - Where the Heart Is
68 :04x01 - A Kiss to Build a Dream On
69 :04x02 - The Next Step
70 :04x03 - Put On A Happy Face
71 :04x04 - Pieces of Me
72 :04x05 - Connect Four
73 :04x06 - Free Fall
74 :04x07 - Pro Choice
75 :04x08 - So Long, Farewell...
76 :04x09 - Getting to Know You
77 :04x10 – Ghosts
78 :04x11 - Lost and Found
79 :04x12 - You're a Good Man, Andy Brown
80 :04x13 - An Ounce of Prevention
81 :04x14 - Across the Lines
82 :04x15 - The Land of Confusion
83 :04x16 - Truth...
84 :04x17 - All The Lonely People
85 :04x18 - Enjoy The Ride
86 :04x19 - Reckoning
87 :04x20 - Goodbye Love
88 :04x21 - Foreverwood (1)
89 :04x22 - Foreverwood (2)

This thread is also about watching Everwood. Whatever episode and/or season you are currently watching, come on over and share your thoughts! Depending on who is presently watching, we can talk about several episodes at a time, anything goes.

Post your thoughts on the episodes and we can discuss!

Thanks!

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 05-20-2019 at 08:28 AM
Old 01-14-2019, 04:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Thanks, Betty.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

You're welcome!!
Old 01-14-2019, 08:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Discussion question from the last thread....

Rank the Seasons
Old 01-14-2019, 08:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Previous replies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
Season 1

Groundbreaking TV. The best of the series and the best season of TV I have ever seen. Near perfection. It was magical, and did have a gorgeous fairytale element. I can't say enough about this season. Everwood is like the Harry Potter series... I can’t get enough... I read/watch and watch and still need more.

Season 4

While I disliked the lack of Ephram/Amy from time to time, there were truly some of the best epsiodes of the entire series scattered throughout this season. You could tell Berlanti returned for this season. His touch was back. I loved watching Ephram/Amy rebuild. And the Series Finale was the best Series Finale, EVER.

Season 3

I loved seeing the Ephram/Amy romantic relationship. It was so beautiful. The meant to be tag translated to reality. Rina was in charge of this season and at times, you could tell. Berlanti slightly stepped away. Andy/Amanda were hard on the eyes as was Madison’s pregnancy and her nightmare presence. Ephram/Amy romantic relationship and Andy/Harold friendship were my favorite highlights.

Season 2

Amy's depression storyline and EVCs brilliant portrayal was Emmy worthy. High quality season. However, I put it last only because of the severe lack of Ephram/Amy and it not being a secret I disliked the unhealthy Ephram/Madison relationship. Every aspect of it in fact. Ephram was obsessed. It was not a good look. The pregnancy resulted as well which was a huge negative too as it took up such a large chunk of the series. Loved seeing Marcia Cross as Linda. Without Madison and Ephram/Madison this could have been the very best season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
This is always a good question, Michelle!

I have to agree with your ranking...that would be my ranking as well.

Season 1
: I loved this season because it introduced me to these beloved characters that I immediately cared about and would root for. I was instantly drawn to the Brown Family and cared so much that they would heal from their tragedy and find happiness and peace with each other. I was drawn to the chemistry between Amy and Ephram and saw their potential as the "it" couple from the very first episode. Season one took many detours for this couple...lots of angst...lots of tragedy....and lots of potential. I was hooked!

Season 4: I guess you're right, Michelle. The two seasons that Berlanti was involved in are my favorites. More angst this season....lots of growth....Ephram and Andy finally gained the respect for each other that I longed to see. Ephram found his calling and became really comfortable and confident in his own skin. I enjoyed watching Amy and Ephram finally be on the same page and the culmination was beautiful.

Season 3: I loved that Amy and Ephram finally were a romantic couple...beautifully done.I loved the budding romance between Andy and Harold! I hated the pregnancy story and everything that went down in NYC and the audition. I hated what happened to Ephram and Andy's relationship and also the way Ephram treated Amy who loved him and just wanted to help. But...the scattered great episodes made this a good season.

Season 2
: This season was a mixed bag for me. I hated the depression storyline. I at first didn't mind Madison, but in hind sight this was a disastrous storyline. I didn't mind Linda and found her fate very sad. I liked the introduction of Will and was glad Ephram resumed playing the piano. I loved watching Bright gain respect for Ephram and them becoming friends. I loved the last few episodes when Amy realized her feelings for Ephram.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
^ Such great thoughts.

It is very true about seasons 1 & 4 being fan favorites (overwhelmingly they are the most popular) and the clear reason for this has to be Berlanti’s touch.

Season 2, I hated Madison from day one as you know, but loved the depression storyline. EVC was magical. It was definitely difficult to watch. That said, when I think about all the suffering Amy went through as a young teen in season 1 due to Colin, living in that fantasy world, I loved the realism of Amy crashing in season 2. It just made so much sense.

What I find refreshing about the series is in every season you can find some great stuff. How often can viewers talk about a series they like and still not have one season they complain about? There’s usually always one season (maybe more) that you want to throw away in the garbage.

Not with Everwood.

Everwood at its “weakest” is still better than the rest.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Would anyone else like to tackle the question?
Old 01-23-2019, 02:51 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I don’t think so.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:05 AM
Administrator

This is tough for me because I really liked all the seasons with the exception of most of Season Two due to Amy's depression story line and Amy/Tommy and Ephram and Madison and the revelation that Madison was pregnant with Ephram's child at the end of the season.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 01-23-2019, 09:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
This is tough for me because I really liked all the seasons with the exception of most of Season Two due to Amy's depression story line and Amy/Tommy and Ephram and Madison and the revelation that Madison was pregnant with Ephram's child at the end of the season.
I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who wouldn't rank Season 2 last.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Ephram/Madison is so tough to watch. When I do rewatches now, I literally skip ahead and don't watch their scenes. It disgusts me.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:56 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who wouldn't rank Season 2 last.
Probably, but I'd say the group is small.

Anyone out there in this group?
Old 01-23-2019, 11:18 AM
Administrator

I would also rank the Seasons 1, 4, 3, 2. More on this later.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 01-23-2019, 12:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Looking forward to your thoughts, friend!
Old 01-24-2019, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Season 1

This was the season that established the greatest television show ever and it introduced us to unforgettable characters in an idyllic setting that drew us in like no other television show ever has. I loved the equal time given to the adults and the teenagers and I loved seeing the interactions of the key characters and families. I liked seeing how Andy Brown, who had been a driven workaholic who was only focused on his career and who neglected his family was devastated by the sudden and tragic loss of his wife and who abandoned his career and moved his family from New York City to Everwood Colorado to honor her memory. I loved the fish out of water aspect to Ephram’s initial reaction to moving to Everwood and his confrontations with Andy were riveting, and I liked seeing how Ephram and Amy’s relationship evolved through the season. I also liked Amy’s friendship with Laynie and I also liked Ephram and Laynie’s relationship. The only aspect of the season that I didn’t care for was the Colin story as I felt that it dragged out too long and it dominated the season too much and I didn’t like Colin.

Season 4

I would have liked to have seen Ephram and Amy reunite sooner and I didn’t like Nina and Jake’s relationship and how she went back to Andy only when Jake told her to, but overall this season had some incredible episodes. This was one of the few shows that was able to successively transition the teenage characters from High School to college while still giving equal time to the adult characters. I loved seeing Ephram and Amy start to rebuild their relationship after the heartbreaking end of Season Three and Ephram’s trip to Europe, and I loved seeing how Ephram grew and matured as a person through his relationship with Kyle. I thought that Bright and Hannah were a totally mismatched couple though and I always felt like she was a filler character brought in to replace Laynie as Amy’s best friend and to be a love interest for Bright, and they just didn’t click as a couple for me. I also thought that Reid was a boring filler character brought in as a semi-love interest for Amy and I didn’t find his character to be very engaging. I absolutely loved the Series Finale and Amy’s heartfelt declaration of love for Ephram, and to me, it was the greatest finale of any show that I’ve ever watched.

Season 3

I loved seeing Ephram and Amy’s romantic relationship, but there was a ticking time bomb that overshadowed not only Ephram and Amy’s romantic relationship, but the entire season, namely Madisongate and her revealing to Ephram, at the worst possible time, that she had his baby but didn’t tell him about it and Andy revealing that he had ordered Madison not to tell Ephram. I hated how Ephram blamed Amy for not telling him that she knew about what happened with Madison and I especially hated the cruel way he broke up with her and the awful things he said to his father, but I did like seeing Andy and Harold become friends and watching the characters grow. I didn’t like Andy and Amanda’s affair and how Jake and Nina’s romantic relationship developed, but Ephram and Amy’s romantic relationship was the highlight of the season for me.

Season 2

I felt that Amy’s depression storyline, while very well acted and realistic was, well, depressing, and I didn’t like how the town and Amy blamed Andy for Colin’s death and how Amy shut out Ephram for most of the season due to this, but I was glad that they ended up together toward the end of the season. I also despised Ephram and Madison’s relationship and I hated every aspect of it, and I especially hated how the season ended with Madison revealing to Andy that she was pregnant with Ephram’s child and Andy telling her not to tell Ephram. I also didn’t like Amy and Tommy’s relationship at all and how Laynie, a character I really liked, was written off the show and essentially replaced as Amy’s best friend by Hannah in Season Three who I found to be as dull as dishwater. I liked Andy’s relationship with Linda and the relationship dynamic that Harold and Linda had, but I didn’t like how abruptly she left and the reason why she left.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Season 1

This was the season that established the greatest television show ever and it introduced us to unforgettable characters in an idyllic setting that drew us in like no other television show ever has.
100%. I’ve never seen a better show and I know I never will. There is something so unique and untouchable about Everwood... simply the best.

Quote:
I loved the equal time given to the adults and the teenagers and I loved seeing the interactions of the key characters and families.
It reminds me of shows that couldn’t hold a candle like Dawson’s Creek. We saw a little too much of gross Mitch and Gail’s open sex marriage but as a rule there was zero balance with adult and teenager storylines. That is OK if a show establishes a certain tone from the beginning. Dawson’s Creek never went there though. Too much Mitch and Gail, not enough Grams, nonexistent parents for Pacey, etc.

Everwood perfectly balanced and set a tone from the start.

Quote:
I liked seeing how Andy Brown, who had been a driven workaholic who was only focused on his career and who neglected his family was devastated by the sudden and tragic loss of his wife and who abandoned his career and moved his family from New York City to Everwood Colorado to honor her memory. I loved the fish out of water aspect to Ephram’s initial reaction to moving to Everwood and his confrontations with Andy were riveting, and I liked seeing how Ephram and Amy’s relationship evolved through the season. I also liked Amy’s friendship with Laynie and I also liked Ephram and Laynie’s relationship. The only aspect of the season that I didn’t care for was the Colin story as I felt that it dragged out too long and it dominated the season too much and I didn’t like Colin.
I often think about why the Brown’s went to Everwood in the first place... Julia. In one magical conversation between Andy and Julia, Everwood was their destiny. Thus, Colin’s storyline wasn’t even necessary. I understand what bonded the Abbott's and the Brown’s was loss... but it could have been constructed differently. Maybe the Abbott’s lost a member of their family and they were in were mourning when the Brown’s arrived in mourning. Colin didn’t have to be the bridge for the two families in other words. It wasn’t necessary if even meant to be in the mind of Berlanti.

Quote:
Season 4

I would have liked to have seen Ephram and Amy reunite sooner and I didn’t like Nina and Jake’s relationship and how she went back to Andy only when Jake told her to, but overall this season had some incredible episodes.
I think we suffered due to a time crunch because of the series end date. I truly believe Berlanti thought season 5 was happening for the longest time. But then Dawn and her stupidity entered the picture. Thus, storylines were altered unexpectedly.

Quote:
This was one of the few shows that was able to successively transition the teenage characters from High School to college while still giving equal time to the adult characters.
Take note, season 5, Joey and her Mugger, Dawson’s Creek, lol.

I just love comparing Everwood to Dawson’s Creek because there is no comparison.

Quote:
I loved seeing Ephram and Amy start to rebuild their relationship after the heartbreaking end of Season Three and Ephram’s trip to Europe, and I loved seeing how Ephram grew and matured as a person through his relationship with Kyle. I thought that Bright and Hannah were a totally mismatched couple though and I always felt like she was a filler character brought in to replace Laynie as Amy’s best friend and to be a love interest for Bright, and they just didn’t click as a couple for me. I also thought that Reid was a boring filler character brought in as a semi-love interest for Amy and I didn’t find his character to be very engaging. I absolutely loved the Series Finale and Amy’s heartfelt declaration of love for Ephram, and to me, it was the greatest finale of any show that I’ve ever watched.

Quote:
Season 3

I loved seeing Ephram and Amy’s romantic relationship, but there was a ticking time bomb that overshadowed not only Ephram and Amy’s romantic relationship, but the entire season, namely Madisongate and her revealing to Ephram, at the worst possible time, that she had his baby but didn’t tell him about it and Andy revealing that he had ordered Madison not to tell Ephram. I hated how Ephram blamed Amy for not telling him that she knew about what happened with Madison and I especially hated the cruel way he broke up with her and the awful things he said to his father, but I did like seeing Andy and Harold become friends and watching the characters grow. I didn’t like Andy and Amanda’s affair and how Jake and Nina’s romantic relationship developed, but Ephram and Amy’s romantic relationship was the highlight of the season for me.
The biggest success of the season was Ephram/Amy proving to the audience that they truly were meant to be from the start and in magical fashion.

I will always despise Madison and Madisongate. I mentioned on another thread at least some of us were spoiled ahead of time so we knew the timeline. Knowledge is power, but when it turned into reality it still didn’t make it any easier to deal with.

Quote:
Season 2

I felt that Amy’s depression storyline, while very well acted and realistic was, well, depressing, and I didn’t like how the town and Amy blamed Andy for Colin’s death and how Amy shut out Ephram for most of the season due to this, but I was glad that they ended up together toward the end of the season. I also despised Ephram and Madison’s relationship and I hated every aspect of it, and I especially hated how the season ended with Madison revealing to Andy that she was pregnant with Ephram’s child and Andy telling her not to tell Ephram. I also didn’t like Amy and Tommy’s relationship at all and how Laynie, a character I really liked, was written off the show and essentially replaced as Amy’s best friend by Hannah in Season Three who I found to be as dull as dishwater. I liked Andy’s relationship with Linda and the relationship dynamic that Harold and Linda had, but I didn’t like how abruptly she left and the reason why she left.
This season had some of the best episodes, quality wise, of the series. However like you said, it was an overall fairly depressing season and our main pairing of Ephram and Amy were deliberately separated until the time was right. The disappearance of Laynie after this season upset a lot of fans. Regarding Ephram/Madison... a lot of people cringed over the legal issues, not to mention the physical relationship in general. Having said that, if it would have ended when they finally broke up, I think more people would have handled it better. It was such an irritating bombshell when that idiot walked into Andy’s office and told him she was pregnant. Definitely a nightmare and I believe, Berlanti’s biggest mistake of the series. It was so unnecessary.

That said... even with Colin, Madison, Amanda, Laynie disappearing, Jake hanging around too long... this series still found a way to be fairly flawless and as magical as the Ferris Wheel that showed up for Ephram/Amy throughout the series when they needed it to show itself.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread