Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Master Fan

Ooh, a new episode for Kris, and Louisa in the rewatch. Awesome! And we've definitely all been there, Louisa, in losing a long post. It sucks! I would always copy and paste them somewhere else before you hit send just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris
The final scene was one of the best! When Amy went to Colin and told him he should get to know her again and he'd recognize who she is and that he'd like her again. When she said "I'm Amy" and gave his hand to him and he answered "I'm Colin" and took her hand was great!
One of my favourite Amy moments. I love her here. So mature, so strong. After being heartbroken about her boyfriend not remembering her, she could have just walked away and given up. She doesn't here. She stands strong, and refuses to let Colin's memory issues stop her from living the life she always wanted. Ephram definitely helps in that scene that you mentioned (LOVE Ephram there) too with his selfless act. All of our young characters are pretty darn great in this episode! Even Bright is sweet trying to talk to Colin about what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisa
Andy's story to Nina about losing Ephram was so sad! I can just imagine little 5/6 year old Ephram being all forgiving for the first time Andy missed going to the arcade with him, then him just getting more & more miserable every subsequent Saturday. I can picture him getting all excited every time he heard a car stop outside the house or footsteps/noises in the corridor leading to the front door of their apartment and asking Julia when is Daddy going to take me to the arcade, is it nearly time yet, then segue-ing where his Daddy is, what time is it & why didn't he remember. Then there'd be tears, I'm sure... Then, later, confusion & hurt at Andy's solution of throwing money at the problem by buying Ephram a pinball machine when all he really wants is some attention & affection from his dad!
Aw! That's so heartbreaking. Andy telling the story is really heartbreaking because you can see how horrible he feels, and how much he's been thinking about it since Julia died and he was left seeing what his parenting did to Ephram. But seeing this perspective, Ephram's perspective...aw. Poor kid. Wonderfully put, Louisa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
There is one comment that I don't understand (made by Andy to Ephram in the pilot after Ephram's fight with Bright)...." You know, Ephram, I thought you'd change. I thought that if we moved here, you'd stop with the fighting. With the acting out"

What did that statement mean? Was Ephram involved in a lot of fights in NY?
I was going to say that Andy meant fights as in arguments with Andy, but you're right, he is talking about fighting. I can't imagine Ephram willingly choosing to be in a fight, heh. There's just no evidence of that, even in "The Pilot", so I'm not sure why the writers would have Andy say that. He attacks Bright because Bright makes fun of his mom (horrible, horrible Bright there). Otherwise, he just snarks at people. Huh. Interesting fin, Betty.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:20 AM
Dedicated Fan

I think Ephram was bullied back in his New York school. He makes a comment to Amy in the Pilot, I believe, about spending a lot of time being stuffed in a locker, which to me suggests he was. I figured he'd used sarcasm at the beginning of the experience, but then, as it got worse/more physical, he tried to defend himself & it backfired by him getting into trouble. I can see him not wanting to talk about it or being too embarrassed to (Ã* la "The Great Dr Brown's kid is anything but great...Oh super, that's going to go down really well at home!"). I can imagine him being quite sarcastic at school too, especially during a subject/class he didn't like/thought was useless, like Maths or something, in the vein of "But Sir/Miss, why are we doing calculus/trig if we don't want to become architects/engineers/scary mathsy people?" and the teacher not responding terribly well to comments of that ilk.
That's how I explained it to myself anyway!
Louisa C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I have difficulty imagining Ephram being as rambunctious & energetic as Sam when he was the same age, as I think of him as a much shyer, introverted little boy who had relatively quiet artistic pursuits.
Louisa, I'm really happy it is not only me who can't imagine Ephram this way. Every time Andy told Nina that Ephram was like Sam when he was young I was like 'Really? Can't imagine.'

Quote:
Andy's story to Nina about losing Ephram was so sad! I can just imagine little 5/6 year old Ephram being all forgiving for the first time Andy missed going to the arcade with him, then him just getting more & more miserable every subsequent Saturday. I can picture him getting all excited every time he heard a car stop outside the house or footsteps/noises in the corridor leading to the front door of their apartment and asking Julia when is Daddy going to take me to the arcade, is it nearly time yet, then segue-ing where his Daddy is, what time is it & why didn't he remember. Then there'd be tears, I'm sure... Then, later, confusion & hurt at Andy's solution of throwing money at the problem by buying Ephram a pinball machine when all he really wants is some attention & affection from his dad!
With all you've wrote about it you made it so much worse you can't imagine, Louisa. This scenes was totally sad but I didn't imagine Ephram and his reactions that exactly. This poor little boy must have been so sad and disappointed at his das. I really don't want to think about it much more.

Quote:
You know, Ephram, I thought you'd change. I thought that if we moved here, you'd stop with the fighting. With the acting out
Betty, you know what? It totally reminds me of Sam's reaction and Andy's explanation about why he acts that way. Maybe Ephram did the same but he didn't even know that he did it to finally get the attention he wanted from his dad... He could have started with being so 'active' when Andy didn't have time for him anymore and it maybe continued after Julia's death.

Tos, you really think they meant fighting? Really fighting? Wow, I also thought it was meant as an argument... When exactly did Andy say that to him?
Lauren Helen Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Master Fan

That's a good point, Louisa, about Ephram mentioning being bullied and being stuck in lockers. It just doesn't seem to fit with him having a bunch of friends from New York later on in the season (like when he was trying to go live in with his grandparents, and all of these people call him), or his possible date with Gwen Stefani/Katherine Adams. I always got the sense that he was cooler in New York, and definitely not the complete outcast he was in Everwood in S1, I guess that doesn't mean that he can't be bulled too, even while being a little more accepted than he originally was in County High.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 01-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I'm sliding in here very quickly to say that this is one of my all time favorite episodes of the series. I have commented on this episode throughout the years 300303 times, writing long, book-like posts. Instead of going there again I will say very briefly that this episode, to me, was entirely guided by Ephram/Amy and what was going on between them. Whether you are a huge Ephram/Amy fan or just a fan of the show, I don't think it can be denied that something quite significant took place between them in this episode that set the stage for what defined Ephram/Amy and how Ephram/Amy were going to function as a whole for the rest of the series. The selfless love Ephram had telling Amy to go back to Colin, Amy trying to resist but knowing Ephram was right, the struggle they had because all they wanted to do was land in each others arms, along with seeing the intense emotional connection they had together was something remarkable to witness. If Ephram/Amy was not demonstrating the perfect kind of true love you have for someone I don't know what else could beat it. The emotional connection displayed between the two of them was off the charts fantastic and very revealing as it showcased what Ephram/Amy meant to each other. For me, even if I knew Amy had to go back to Colin, there was no doubt in my mind Ephram/Amy were right for each other, their love was pure, without question, and the emotional connection they had was going to guide them through the rough times ahead... but in the end they would end up together.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's exactly how I felt, Michelle, Amy and Ephram had a definite connection from the first moment they met. Even through the times that Amy was very questionable in her behavior toward Ephram and the times that Ephram treated Amy terribly..I knew that these two were destined to and meant to be together.
I'm sure that's why I resented Colin so much. He was in the way..as far as I was concerned. I had more difficulty than most in cutting him some slack. I honestly wanted him to disappear.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, I agree, Michelle. That was THE pivotal moment for Ephram and Amy in S1. It's the first time since Colin came back (well, it's the first episode since he came back to town, heh, but that says something too) that it's clear that Amy would rather be with Ephram. That changes a few episodes later, but it's clear that she's going to have those same feelings again sooner or later, and that her and Ephram were it. I think Ephram knows it too, in a way. While he's pained that he's telling Amy to go to Colin, he also has a kind of confidence to him. A swagger. Let's face it: Ephram is frickin' cool in this scene! And it's because it's the first real scene that he's the confident one in the relationship, and he has the upper hand, and he knows what to do, and he's saying the right things, and all Amy can do is kind of look at him while he walks away and think about how cool this guy is. She's always thought he was different, interesting and far away from what she expected out of a guy (which is thrilling), but I'm not sure if she ever thought of him as cool before this scene. Look at her look on her face while he walks away. He's got her right in the palm of his hand at that point! Ephram rules here.

Last edited by 'Tos; 01-04-2010 at 12:55 AM
Old 01-04-2010, 04:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
She's always thought he was different, interesting and far away from what she expected out of a guy (which is thrilling), but I'm not sure if she ever thought of him as cool before this scene. Look at her look on her face while he walks away. He's got her right in the palm of his hand at that point! Ephram rules here.
Score one for the non-cool guys! But really...in his different, interesting way..Ephram was super cool.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
That's exactly how I felt, Michelle, Amy and Ephram had a definite connection from the first moment they met. Even through the times that Amy was very questionable in her behavior toward Ephram and the times that Ephram treated Amy terribly..I knew that these two were destined to and meant to be together.
I'm sure that's why I resented Colin so much. He was in the way..as far as I was concerned. I had more difficulty than most in cutting him some slack. I honestly wanted him to disappear.
And you got your wish since coma boy died.

Seriously... I know there has been debate over Colin and what defined him as a character, the role he played... I think it mostly can be agreed upon that Colin pushed forward the Ephram/Amy story. He helped Amy grow as a person, too. The controversy lies in whether or not if you were an Ephram/Amy fan you should have resented his presence or not... meaning, how did Berlanti want us to truly feel about Colin and Amy/Colin for that matter? A cute little story or one that made us see how flawed Colin was, how flawed and wrong for each other, accident or no accident, Amy/Colin were for each other... or something else? It's obvious there is probably not a proper answer because we all have differing opinions on the matter whether you liked or disliked Ephram/Amy or Ephram and Amy individually.

Maybe Berlanti had something in mind and I would love to know his thoughts but I think it's safe to say that since we don't know his thoughts there can be no legitimate answer to this, just varying opinions.

Having said that... I remember thinking about how I felt badly for Colin being in the situation he was in yet I knew that fate and meant to be were all about Ephram/Amy but I wanted them together and it pained me a bit to see how they had to separate because Amy had to be there for Colin. That feeling got even more intense whenever finding out through Laynie that Colin was breaking up with Amy anyway before the accident took place. At the same time I knew Ephram/Amy were destined to be together so Colin, an earthquake, or anyone or anything else was not going to stop their written in the stars romantic relationship. As a result, Colin turned out being more of an annoyance to me, but not one that I thought was devastating or ever threatening to the Ephram/Amy relationship. Now, the treatment he gave Ephram was another story all together. I didn't like seeing Colin treat Ephram so poorly during that certain time period and that was more than an annoyance for me. I hated it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
Yeah, I agree, Michelle. That was THE pivotal moment for Ephram and Amy in S1. It's the first time since Colin came back (well, it's the first episode since he came back to town, heh, but that says something too) that it's clear that Amy would rather be with Ephram. That changes a few episodes later, but it's clear that she's going to have those same feelings again sooner or later, and that her and Ephram were it. I think Ephram knows it too, in a way. While he's pained that he's telling Amy to go to Colin, he also has a kind of confidence to him. A swagger. Let's face it: Ephram is frickin' cool in this scene! And it's because it's the first real scene that he's the confident one in the relationship, and he has the upper hand, and he knows what to do, and he's saying the right things, and all Amy can do is kind of look at him while he walks away and think about how cool this guy is. She's always thought he was different, interesting and far away from what she expected out of a guy (which is thrilling), but I'm not sure if she ever thought of him as cool before this scene. Look at her look on her face while he walks away. He's got her right in the palm of his hand at that point! Ephram rules here.
Totally, totally agree! Excellent point about Ephram being so "cool" here and having the upper hand. Absolutely. Amy was begging Ephram to say the word there. She was pleading with him to tell her he wanted to be with her and Amy would have collapsed right in his arms. Amy was going to do whatever Ephram asked her to do. She was quite vulnerable there, she wanted Ephram but knew he was the one who had to make the decision and of course he made the correct one being the amazing guy that he so obviously was. This moment to me, was way bigger than either of their two kisses in season 1 to display what Ephram/Amy truly meant to each other. Amy seemed to have called the shots so many times before but Ephram took a stand in this instance but not just for him... for the two of them, TOGETHER. He chose the best route, not the easiest route but the best route that they had to take and Amy honored what he was saying because she knew he was making sense and she trusted him. The trust aspect was so significant here. Amy put all her faith and trust in Ephram during this scene... whatever he decided she was going with without hesitation. Ephram knew she trusted him and he made the right choice... a choice for the moment, and a choice for the future when they'd finally be together. I think both of them knew they would get together in the future and this scene said as much without words but the more pressing issue was about what Amy had to do for Colin even if it sacrificed Ephram/Amy for the time being.

I love this exchange:

Quote:
[She's on the verge of tears.]

EPHRAM: Hey, my dad said it just takes a while. I mean, he'll remember eventually. You've just gotta stick it out.

AMY: It's been six months, Ephram. When do I run out? When do I just give up?

EPHRAM: You don't. That's what devotion is, Amy. I mean, I thought you loved him? That's all I've heard about for the last, I don't know, forever. And what, the first day, you just wanna throw in the towel? The truth is, you couldn't give up on him right now, even if you wanted to. Because since the day I met you, you've been loyal to Colin. And when you're loyal to someone, you can't help it.

AMY: How come you're so smart?

EPHRAM: I'm not, believe me. If I was, I would be wearing a warmer jacket right now. And I wouldn't be telling you to go back to your boyfriend.

AMY: Ephram.

EPRHAM: I-I wish it were different. I do. I wish I were here first but, I wasn't. The truth is, he needs you. He needs your help to get better.

AMY: I guess I should probably get back there, shouldn't I?

EPHRAM: Yeah, yeah. Definitely.

AMY: You wanna come with me?

EPHRAM: I don't think so.

AMY: OK.

[He walks away.]
Whenever Amy says, "How come you're so smart?" my heart sinks so much because she is so vulnerable and doesn't want to do what Ephram is telling her to do but she knows she has to anyway. Emily is remarkable there. Greg/Emily are hitting and sticking during this entire scene. Sizzling chemistry everywhere. Such powerful stuff!

Last edited by jediwands; 05-09-2013 at 04:05 PM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
This moment to me, was way bigger than either of their two kisses in season 1 to display what Ephram/Amy truly meant to each other. Amy seemed to have called the shots so many times before but Ephram took a stand in this instance but not just for him... for the two of them, TOGETHER. He chose the best route, not the easiest route but the best route that they had to take and Amy honored what he was saying because she knew he was making sense and she trusted him. The trust aspect was so significant here. Amy put all her faith and trust in Ephram during this scene... whatever he decided she was going with without hesitation. Ephram knew she trusted him and he made the right choice... a choice for the moment, and a choice for the future when they'd finally be together. I think both of them knew they would get together in the future and this scene said as much without words but the more pressing issue was about what Amy had to do for Colin even if it sacrificed Ephram/Amy for the time being.
And it was definitely the right choice for both to make, or to have Ephram help push her to make. Colin needed Amy, and in a way, Amy still needed Colin. This scene had her temporarily giving up the fantasy she had built up, but she hadn't forgotten it. I think had Ephram and Amy gotten together at this moment, it wouldn't have been smooth sailing. Not that it was often smooth sailing with those two, hee, but she would have still had that fantasy in that head, and Colin still would have been there, still would have been deteriorating, and there's no way that Amy would have just been able to sit idly by and watch as it happened with that fantasy in her head. It wasn't the right time, and Ephram knew that. He knew he could have gotten the girl at this moment, but I'm not sure if he knew it would have been right, especially with her so vulnerable, knowing that someone else needed her more than even he did. That's just the kind of smart and classy guy that Ephram is.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
And you got your wish since coma boy did.
Wow, that comment is really morbid. But yeah, you're right, Michelle.

Quote:
That feeling got even more intense whenever finding out through Laynie that Colin was breaking up with Amy anyway before the accident took place.
OMG!!!??? He what? Man, I didn't know about that... Now I'm really not sure what to think about Colin. He doesn't know better but Laynie does! So why didn't she tell Amy?

Quote:
EPHRAM: You don't. That's what devotion is, Amy. I mean, I thought you loved him? That's all I've heard about for the last, I don't know, forever. And what, the first day, you just wanna throw in the towel? The truth is, you couldn't give up on him right now, even if you wanted to. Because since the day I met you, you've been loyal to Colin. And when you're loyal to someone, you can't help it.
This one sentence approves everything you've wrote about Ephram and Amy so far. And when I watched the episode I didn't recognize this one sentence as much as I do now.

Ephram wanted the whole Amy and not an Amy who isn't into a relationship with the whole of her heart. And that's a reason why he reacted as he did in that scene. He from the beginning knew what he wanted.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris
This one sentence approves everything you've wrote about Ephram and Amy so far. And when I watched the episode I didn't recognize this one sentence as much as I do now.

Ephram wanted the whole Amy and not an Amy who isn't into a relationship with the whole of her heart. And that's a reason why he reacted as he did in that scene. He from the beginning knew what he wanted.
Well said. That's exactly it to me. It's too bad that when Amy was ready to give Ephram the whole of her heart, Ephram wasn't always willing to do the same. He was by S4, though, and especially by the end of it.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, it was bad and sad as well. But in the end they found to each other and that's what counts.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I was estatic when Ephram just came out with it and told her he loved her. When it was ending and Ephram was going to some concert with another girl, it all just flew out the window (so to speak) when he saw Amy. Amy was, IMO, always his world, no matter what Madison or whatever girl came into his life. Amy was the end results
{Ephram♥Amy}
patricia
break the window is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread