Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixierock88
EphramIsHot, how did Emily's mom know to call your mom?? You know Emily?
Yeah, they are related. Cousins, I believe, but I'm probably messing up their exact title so I'll wait until Janelle officially answers this. But I do know that they are related. I know that much. Heh.

Okay, I'm going to top this thread now so it's front and center for everyone to see.

Just a suggestion for those of you that cannot get your hands on the DVD or can't *cough*rewatch it on the computer*cough*...

You could always reread the Season 1 transcripts here:

http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/everwood/

Last edited by jediwands; 06-25-2006 at 12:57 PM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Master Fan

This is a great idea to reflect back because even after a show ends, it still deserves all our appreciation, especially a show like this.

The Pilot was amzing. I knew from the first 10 minutes that I would love the show until it ended, and I really did. I loved the Andy/Ephram scenes, developing their rocky relationship with their fighting. Great acting from the both of them in those scenes.

I also loved that it was basically established with foreshadowing in this episode that Amy/Ephram would be the "it" couple. The scene where they first meet will always remain in my memory, as well as Ephram's dream scene.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts on it later after I rewatch it, but that's all for now.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Loyal Fan

The Pilot is one of my top five episodes, it just introduces the characters in such a natural and beautiful way I just couldn't help but fall in love with it. I think the pancakes/go to hell line is one of the classics among this series and I still smile every time I think about it.

~Rachel~
twinkiecat28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen
Just a suggestion for those of you that cannot get your hands on the DVD or can't *cough*rewatch it on the computer*cough*...
You crack me up, Michelle...
Old 06-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen
Yeah, they are related. Cousins, I believe, but I'm probably messing up their exact title so I'll wait until Janelle officially answers this. But I do know that they are related. I know that much. Heh.
Ohhhh cool!! Lucky!!

Quote:

You could always reread the Season 1 transcripts here:

http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/everwood/
Good idea Michelle!
Old 06-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Master Fan

The pilot was the episode that hooked me for Everwood. I remember watching and thinking of how extraordinary it was to have a show actually say exactly what they want to say. All to often characters are forced with drawn out monologue's that really do nothing for the story, but here... here was a chance for something new. To show a relationship as strained and uncomfortable and heartbreaking as Andy and Ephram, to allow them to push at each other the way they did.

That scene alone, of Andy and Ephram fighting, if that didn't show you that this show was so much more, than nothing could.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Banned

As much as Andy/Ephram scenes blew my mind and EA ones melted my heart, the story-telling innovating concept hooked me up, I think the scenes that really touched my soul are the reminescent flashbacks of Andy/Julia. It was so amazing and really great written. It was clearly shown that even though Julia died and that Andy was an absentee husband and Dad, he has never failed on loving his family and her as everything that he does comes back to her.

Quote:
DR. BROWN: Do you smell that?

BRENDA: Smell what?

DR. BROWN: Perfume.

BRENDA: Oh. Estee Louder, White Linen.

DR. BROWN: No, no. This is coming from the street.

BRENDA: The what?

DR. BROWN: It's called "Jeanette". It was popular in Europe in the early 80's. A wealthy Frenchman had the fragrance named after his lovely fiancée, only after she died, he had it discontinued which made it harder and harder to surprise my wife with every Christmas. It was her favorite.

DR. BROWN: Do you see what I see here?

BRENDA: Multiple opportunities for staff infection?

DR. BROWN: No, Mrs. Baxworth. My new office.
Some would call it Fate but I think it's amazing how Julia has lead Andy where he was supposed to be. Lead him to Everwood, lead him to this train station that will become his office, lead him to Ephram. After her death, she has always guided him, it was like she has never left, not really. Of course, her premature departure was THE turning point of Andy's life and was what he needed to become the man she knew he could be, but what's great is that she has never left him, even after that night when she disappeared.

Quote:
JULIA: I think you should grow a beard.

DR. BROWN: You've been saying that for years.

JULIA: I think you'd look distinguished with a beard.
That flashback is one of my favorite scene in the entire show. And that one comment, as simple, light and sweet as it is, has such a deep meaning seeing as how he has never shaved after it. Another way to show how important Julia really was to Andy and how very deeply in love he truly was with her. Plus, Andy and Ephram exchange at the end just made my heart swelling.

Quote:
JULIA: What'd you do. If you were left alone.

DR. BROWN: That's morbid.

JULIA: I think it's important we talk about it.

DR. BROWN: No, no. You're not going to exercise the spousal "we think it's important" clause.

JULIA: Why not?

DR. BROWN: Because I'm tired, I had a 16-hour day, and these conversations always end up me getting in trouble. And as far as hypothetical tragedies go, can't we start with a lesser one? Why don't you ask me what I'd do if I lost my sight or hearing or I could never walk again? Why don't you ask me if I could never see another Yankees game or eat up another slice of Famous Ray's Pizza? But don't ask me what I'd do without you.

JULIA: I hate when you do that.

DR. BROWN: Say the right thing?

JULIA: Attempt to say the right thing. The actual right thing would be far less cheesy.

[Julia gets up off the bed at Dr. Brown's lead and she and Dr. Brown start to sway back and forth.]

JULIA: What are you doing?

DR. BROWN: Certain cultures refer to this motion as dancing.

JULIA: But there's no music.

DR. BROWN: Shh. Yes there is. [music starts] There's Gershwin and there's Sinatra. And I think there's even a little Dionne Warwick thrown in there but I can't be sure.
Such an heartbreaking scene. I remember feeling my heart break at this, it was such a true and honest moment. Not to mention the amazing chemistry and talent of those two actors, it's just breathtaking. And Delia watching the 'exchange from afar. Oh God, I can feel the tears again.

Quote:
JULIA: Hey, guess what? I figured it out.

DR. BROWN: Figured what out?

JULIA: Where you should go if something ever happens to me.

DR. BROWN: Oh, not the macabre subject again.

JULIA: Everwood, Colorado.

DR. BROWN: Where?

[Julia scoots over and Dr. Brown puts his arm around her.]

JULIA: When I was a kid, I took this train trip with my parents across the country. There was a snowstorm in the mountains and we had to stop for a day in a town called Everwood. It was the most beautiful place I had ever seen, Andy. It was on this hill surrounded by the Rockies. And I remember thinking even then, this is what heaven must look like.

DR. BROWN: There's no chance that this place is also a major center for neurosurgery, is there?

JULIA: Sorry. That's the other part of the deal. No more working for the rich and famous, Doctor. Even small townsfolk need medical miracles.

DR. BROWN: You'll have to start writing this stuff down.

JULIA: Just remember one thing. Everwood, Colorado. It's where I'll be.

DR. BROWN: It can't be in the Bahamas?

JULIA: Nope. It's Everwood or bust.

DR. BROWN: Then, that's where I'll be too.
That's exactly at this moment, I knew, I just knew, how tremendous that show will become. I loved every scene, every word before it but that moment, it just clearly shows how everything was connected. It's not overdone, it is just perfect.

Quote:
DR. BROWN: Do you believe that people live on after they die? That their souls are with us?

NINA: Yeah, I do.

DR. BROWN: I need to prove to my wife that I can do this. That I can be the kind of doctor, the kind of father, that she wanted me to be when she was alive. I know it makes me seem nuts. Maybe I am.

NINA: To love someone so much that you're still proving it to them after they die? Well, if that's crazy, Andy, I hope my own insanity isn't that far away.
Even though she is not physically in the scene, she is there, her presence is there. You always feel her among the character's lives, sentiments and actions. That's honestly one of the truest thing I have always adored about Everwood.

I know my post is mostly quotes from the actual episode but I honestly can't find the right words to express how I really feel, that and the fact that the quotes speak of themselves.

The Pilot is one of the most amazing, voluptuous, heartbreaking thing I have ever gotten to see. It will always have a special place and meaning in my heart.

Last edited by Watch This Smile; 06-26-2006 at 12:27 AM
Watch This Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Master Fan

Ita.
rose parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:43 PM
buffyannAlex

Summer> Love the quotes... and agree with everything. what a shock
I completetely agree that it's amazing how fate has a real role on this show. Everything just comes together so naturally. I love that.

You know, looking at the letters I receive for the thankful book, I'd say 90% of the fan said they were hooked since te pilot. That says a lot.
The people who saw it couldn't miss it afterwards, it was so deep and special, you just coundn't miss it afterwards....

I think the pilot really did something special to all of us. It's hard to explain but it directly touched our heart with sincerity, love, realness and sometimes sadness. But there was also a part of magic, something unexplanable that defines what Everwood is about. Simply beautiful.

Looking at the storylines, the Ephram/Andy is so stunning from the beginning, it's magnificient. Andy dealing with his loss is painful because it's so real and beautifully acted. I love to see Andy trying to do the right thing, fulfilling his promise to Julia. I love to see him lost too, in this new environment where he doesn't know what to do with his kids,. Such a contrast to his god like career where he knews everything.
I lvoe the beginning of Ephram/Amy, the instant sparks between them, Ephram completely falling for her and already caring where others would just have let it go.
I love this episode because it's the beginning of everything, because it's beautiful, because everything about it says 'Everwood rocks beyond words'...
Old 06-25-2006, 11:38 PM
New Fan

Oh, this is great! I was only introduced to Everwood late last year (and have done my best to catch up quickly!) so never got to be involved in all the episode analysis etc

The pilot is really fantastic. When you think about it, the pilots of most shows are never really brilliant because it's so difficult to set up all the characters, the context, the potential plot lines. But everwood managed to do it all so seamlessly and yet still be a brilliant stand-alone episode. It should be a manual for how pilots should be made!

I love the first meeting between ephram and amy; with the banter established between them and ephram falling for her straight away. And you can see how intrigued Amy is too... And of course the "dream" sequence

i love the humour that they pack into the first episode too - it really sets the standard of how the show will always balance between the drama and comedy. When andy asks them who wants to move to colorado... and get their own horse! lol, that cracked me up - as did ephrams horrified expression

Re-watching the pilot, i notice how young Greg/Emily look - so cute! but despite their age, you can tell already how good actors they already are... Greg and Treat in their big confrontation outside Nina's... And Emily at the hospital talking about Colin... Really impressive work from both of them. Having such strong teen actors that can really match it with the older more experienced actors is really what sets this show apart in my opinion.

And of course i love the first meeting with Andy and Harold - hehee.. you can tell that they will become friends despite Harolds best efforts

I also wanted to mention that i really think the photography of the show helps establish it too. The majestic mountains, the fact that it's a cold climate - so differnt to the OC etc. Really gives it an atmosphere thats different and unique and its such a beautiful place too - i know it was filmed in Utah but watching everwood always makes me want to visit Colorado!!
stargirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:08 AM
Master Fan

I came in really late for Everwood - just started watching in Season 4. So I bought the Season 1 DVD and let me just say I wish I started earlier. The pilot really gets you hooked on the show. I watched all the episodes in my spare time and just finished them this weekend.

Loved it all. Now I have to find a way to see Season 2 and 3.

Ali******Avi by *Angie*
Goodbye One Tree Hill
FinallyPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:29 AM
buffyannAlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl10
The pilot is really fantastic. When you think about it, the pilots of most shows are never really brilliant because it's so difficult to set up all the characters, the context, the potential plot lines. But everwood managed to do it all so seamlessly and yet still be a brilliant stand-alone episode. It should be a manual for how pilots should be made!
I couldn't agree more. In fact, I think it was Treat who said the pilot was like build like a movie and I agree with this. This episode is a masterpiece, it proves that Berlanti is a fantastic storyteller. The way he sets all the context, the past of every character, the dynamic of every growing relationships but still manages to show us what storylines lies ahead is amazing. Plus the narration has always been a plus to me. John Weasley's voice is so right for this show, he really sound like a narrator telling a story of a lost kingdom. I adore that. I missed the narration a lot after season 2.

Quote:
I love the first meeting between ephram and amy; with the banter established between them and ephram falling for her straight away. And you can see how intrigued Amy is too... And of course the "dream" sequence
The dream sequence is so funny. I love how they displayed the hormonal teen very realisticly, it was so much fun to be in Ephram's mind, thinking manga will turn Girls on...
I love how Ephram and Amy are established really quickly. I lvoe that Amy wants to take Ephram to Denver and I love the fact that he goes, even if it's 3 hours away. He already is so involved. They're so meant to be.

Quote:
i love the humour that they pack into the first episode too - it really sets the standard of how the show will always balance between the drama and comedy.
oh, yeah, I completely agree. The jokes are making me rotf all the time...
what about :
Andy : I'm packing pankakes, you want some ?
Ephram : Go to hell !!
Andy : That's my boy

cracks me up everytime... Treat is marvelous in Comedy !

Quote:
Re-watching the pilot, i notice how young Greg/Emily look (...) Really impressive work from both of them. Having such strong teen actors that can really match it with the older more experienced actors is really what sets this show apart in my opinion.
oh yeah, Emily was, I believe, really 15 at the time while Greg was a little older, maybe 18 ? But they look so young, that's so funny.
And you're absolutely right on ! Their acting is stunning for actor their age. When Ephram's yelling at his dad, god, he's amazing me more and more every time.
And Emily, at the hospital, cries so naturally. Look at Alexis Bredel, for example, she's like 5 years older and cannot cry at all... when Emily displays her emotion on screen so beautifully.
The cast on this show is simply incredible. I've never seen a show with such a level of acting from every actor.

Quote:
I also wanted to mention that i really think the photography of the show helps establish it too. The majestic mountains, the fact that it's a cold climate - so differnt to the OC etc. Really gives it an atmosphere thats different and unique and its such a beautiful place too
Oh yeah, I'm glad you mentionned that. We don't talk about it very much but it certainely one of the aspects of the show I really enjoy and that makes Everwood, IMO, the show it is ( was ).
The atmosphere of the show has always been something beautiful. Along with the narration, you always felt like Everwood was this magical town wherevyou could feel at home. They really managed to give us this feeling, it is wonderful.
I always like the photography in the father/son scene at the browns,the amy/ephram scene in "Truth", or in the batmitzvah where everything was shinning and sparkling everywhere, it was beautiful.
And the locations are abolutely georgous. In connect Four, for example, there's magnificient shots of mountain (during the ephram/bright scene) thanks to Tom Amandes's directing skills. I'm gonna miss this show....

FinallyPJ> Better late than never Season one is absolutely amazing and that's the season that got most of us hooked completely to the show. it's magical and magnificient.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Extreme Fan

I've already said it briefly on the FT but I can say it here too I 've been hooked till the pilot for the same reasons everybody have already told (and better than I could do it).
Everwood is not like any other "family-teen-show"; it's so much more mature and realistic and we can see that till this very first episode.
It also has a wonderfull and beautiful location; amazing characters both realistic and a little quirky sometimes; very very good actors and actresses (with a little + to Emily van Camp and Gregory Smith who are so mature in their acting impressive).
Best female characters : Lorelai(Gilmore girls),Claire(Outlander),Scarlett(Gone with the Wind),Kahlan(Legend of the seeker),Miss Parker(The Pretender),Katniss(The Hunger games),Bones(Bones),Bree (DH),Root (POI),Spencer(PLL),...
Nanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:04 PM
Passionate Fan

Oh love the first post!

Maybe we should all do icons based on the pilot or repost icons taht were made from caps from the pilot and post them in the first post also. This way, at the end of the memory lane, we'll all have icons from every episode!

Icon by me
dawnie@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:14 PM
buffyannAlex

Last edited by jediwands; 01-12-2021 at 04:23 AM
Reply   Post New Thread