Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Master Fan

Love "Deer God". It makes me feel all warm inside, hee.

Andy and Ephram are great all episode. I love seeing Andy's ego blow up in his face as it does here when his directions prove to be wrong. His know-it-allism is at an all time high in this one. Of course, Ephram's jerkism towards Andy is also at an all time high, but I can forgive a little bit of it because Andy is just being a complete ass.

My theory still holds: Fireside chats + Andy/Ephram = Gold. I swear, the house could be on fire, Delia could be running around trying to put it out with a tiny fire extinguisher, and Andy and Ephram would be sitting their bonding over the heat of the fire.

I like that Ephram had to literally see what he's hanging on to to get it, that hanging on to New York, that part of him, is gone; it finally got through to him. I also like that we see him as the boy when he's having his little breakdown and Andy has to comfort him and and hug him. It's very sweet, and we don't see Ephram like that often, that crushed. He's just the little boy hanging on to something that is no longer there. Andy being able to be the father for once, and for Ephram to be the little boy again; I love that aspect so much.

As much as I like Andy/Ephram's story in this episode, I actually think I like Delia and Edna's more. It's an extremely simplistic story, and the yelling rabbi doesn't help matters (nor does the music when they're going to see him), but Delia's reason for wanting to know about God breaks my heart: Edna: "And if there's no heaven..." Delia:"..Then where's my mom?" AWWWWW! *hugs tiny Delia*. And the whole story is all just so childlike and innocent. Which is why I don't mind how simplistic it all is. It actually fits the story.

Harold and Amy's story of Harold being a completely obsessive whackjob is also the perfect comedic balance to the episode, and always helps show us Amy and Harold's bond, which is probably the best thing about Amy at this point in the season: she actually likes her Dad. Harold is so unbelievably awesome even this early in the series (he gets even better, which is hard to believe), so the fact that Amy can see that does help me tolerate her through some of her more obnoxious dealings with Ephram. Like shutting the door on poor Ephram's face.

Greg's acting in the final scene is top notch. He really DOES look like he's going to vomit, heh, and his stuttering and losing track of his own thoughts is fantastically delivered. And he steals a paper! Whatta rebel. *hums Golden Slumbers*

Smaller thoughts:
  • I love Andy's "Get Outta Here" to the deer, because it really does sound very New York to me.
  • The scenery is beautiful ALL episode. Just amazing.
  • Edna's philosophy on babysitting rocks: " A babysitter's job is to make sure the kid doesn't die, that's all." That quotes needs to be a tagline to a babysitting ad.
  • Plus this episode has one of the classic quote exchanges of the whole series:
    Quote:
    DR. ABBOTT: You! Why do you look as though you're about to vomit?
    EPHRAM: 'Cause I might.
    DR. ABBOTT: [over his shoulder] Amy! [to Ephram] Remain outside, please.
  • Leo's screen name originates from this episode. How can you not like it?

Quote:
Delia: (after realizing that God performed a miracle with the gas tank) "Hi, Dad!!!" How adorable was she!
I know! That's easily the cutest line delivery of all time.

Quote:
Amy: (to Harold) Doctor Brown? you so have a crush on him.
Hee, I love it. She's so right.

Edna also has some killer lines, like offering to tell Delia where babies come from instead of having to deal with questions about God.

Next Episode
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood

Last edited by 'Tos; 05-07-2009 at 02:49 PM
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The Blacklist

And another episode You see, I had lots of time this weekend.

I have to admit that this wasn't a new one for me and I was a bit bored by this episode. But not because of the re-watch... I didn't like it the first time as well.

It was a strange SL with this 'bambie' and Ephraim and I think a bit too long... I so love the end of this SL, when Ephraim finally tells Andy what's really the reason why he wanted to bring the 'bambie' back to where it came from. And I totally understand Ephraim, that he wants to go back and that he wants his old life back. He still isn't over the death of his mom or the move to Everwood... He often seems to be but he isn't. And Andy needed to know about that!

The Delia SL definitely was my fav this episode. She tried to find god and at the beginning nobody thought there'd be deeper reason as to proof it to her friend but there was. She wanted to know if her mom really is in heaven and if she's ok there. It was so heartbreaking and touching! And finally she got her sign! It made me so happy, you can't believe!
But, I again recognized that I so hate Delias teacher... Such a stupid rude woman!

Not to forget finally the Ephraim/Amy SL... I'm so glad that Ephraim finally asked Andy because of Collin and that he told Amy the truth! I loved how he described why he lied to her first and what's the reason he now asked Andy! He so great described it she couldn't even be mad at him. This was so touching and also made me understand him.
Lauren Helen Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I have to admit that this wasn't a new one for me and I was a bit bored by this episode. But not because of the re-watch... I didn't like it the first time as well.
Hee, it does seem to be one of those love it or hate it episodes. I think it's probably a little too cutesy with the Delia/Edna story, Andy/Ephram and bambi AND Harold and Amy being adorable, but I love cutesy. It has a nice dark edge too (mostly because Andy and Ephram yell at each other as usual, as well as Delia's reasons for finding God), but it is mostly a set up episode.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 09-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Master Fan

I just noticed that I promised "controversial opinions" a really long time ago, and never did offer them, heh. Probably because I never bothered to rewatch it, because I fall into the, well, not "hate it" category, but I don't exactly love it, either.

Andy and Ephram's story actually works for me, but Delia and Edna are way cutesy, and I do not love cutesy.
Thief Of Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The Blacklist

Quote:
I just noticed that I promised "controversial opinions" a really long time ago, and never did offer them, heh. Probably because I never bothered to rewatch it, because I fall into the, well, not "hate it" category, but I don't exactly love it, either.
I'm a bit relieved that I'm not the only one who doesn't love it.
And it's so hard to explain why I didn't like it so much because I don't know. The SL is great IMO but it's a bit too boring for me I think.

And Tos, I really really love cutesy. It's also not the reason why I didn't like it that much.
Lauren Helen Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Loyal Fan

Just rewatched this episode, another on of my favourite! I wasnt really into the whole Delia/Edna scenario, but sure seeing Edna having to struggle with a kid like Delia sure was fun. You understand that she has problems when she would rather talk about where babies come from instead

I will just work from my notes on this episode.

Quote:
DR. BROWN: I used to navigate peoples frontal lobes for a living, Ephram. I think I can follow directions.
Andys confident has the tendency to break him down sometimes, how wrong can you be

To me this is what was got me with this episode. Ephram comparing Bambi being lost with himself, it brought some really great moments. The scene at the mountain when he realises that his home is gone almost tears me up! We get to see some great conversations between Ephram/Andy in this episode, which always is great!

I loved the Amy/Harold story, and the "gift" she gave him, they are just so adoreable together!

Harold's need of Andy's recognition is so obvious in this episode, and so funny. I wonder how upset he was when Ephram told him that Andy doesnt read the Pinecone

Quote:
AMY: Who? Doctor Brown? You so have a boy crush on him.

DR. ABBOTT: My issue with Dr. Brown is neither flirtation nor rivalry. It is a crusade to protect both him and this town from the potentially lethal results of his dementia. And I loathe him.
The end scene with Ephram telling Amy that he has asked Andy about the surgery, and you see Amy closes the door and Ephram is like "okey" (its like he is asking himself if that was a positive or a negative okey). Im glad he didnt puke, Harold sure wouldnt have been happy then

I think that is all I have to say about this episode..

I am starting to become a little bit tired so I will probably soon take a break from the re-watch. Because I am not only re-watching the show and taking notes, I am also thinking about which scenes who would be the best to use in a fanvideo, and that takes some time
You can't take the sky from me
Rolfi Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfi
Andys confident has the tendency to break him down sometimes, how wrong can you be
Hee, exactly. Too cocky for his own good! Like buying new boots for a hike! Although Ephram trying to start a fire wasn't easy either. I would hate to be stuck with those two on a camping trip.

Quote:
I loved the Amy/Harold story, and the "gift" she gave him, they are just so adoreable together!
Aw, I know. She gets him and how crazy he is. I'm really glad we got so many sweet moments between them before she had her depression in S2.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

transferring over:

105:

This was a nice episode, felt different than some of the previous ones. I loved all the outdoor stuff. Seeing Ephram and Andy together was really cool, it was nice to see some development there and see Ephram's realization that this is his home now and New York was only his "home" before because his mom was there.

The relationship between Amy and Harold is really really adorable. I really love Harold.

I didnt care much for the Delia/Edna storyline but I guess it was sweet to see her faith restored.

Ephram going to Amy at the end. I was so glad he did the right thing and told her the truth and asked his father to help. What a sweetheart.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
transferring over:

105:

This was a nice episode, felt different than some of the previous ones. I loved all the outdoor stuff. Seeing Ephram and Andy together was really cool, it was nice to see some development there and see Ephram's realization that this is his home now and New York was only his "home" before because his mom was there.

The relationship between Amy and Harold is really really adorable. I really love Harold.

I didnt care much for the Delia/Edna storyline but I guess it was sweet to see her faith restored.

Ephram going to Amy at the end. I was so glad he did the right thing and told her the truth and asked his father to help. What a sweetheart.
Everwood home for Ephram was such a great moment.

Amy/Harold had a really sweet dynamic. I love Harold too.

Greg delivers that scene when Ephram tells Amy to perfection, I felt every ounce of Ephram’s nervousness.
Auror is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top