Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Master Fan

The Everwood Rewatch Fest: "The Burden of Truth" (S2, Ep. 8)

We'll keep this up for one or two weeks and then go on to the next episode. After you've watched the episode, you can comment on it anyway you'd like, big or small. You can focus on certain characters, scenes, quotes, or the episode as a whole. You can tie the episode to the rest of the series, or comment about it as a self-contained episode. It's all up to you! You can always give your thoughts after the one week period, as all rewatch threads will stay open for more thoughts and anymore discussion. Thanks!

Burden of Truth

Written By: Vanessa Taylor
Directed By: Michael Schultz

Quote:
Original Air Date—10 November 2003
When Phil the mechanic correctly "diagnoses" meningitis rather than flu in Andy's young patient, the town begins to believe he is a seer. Ephram confronts Madison about his feelings for her. Amy agrees to see Linda for help, but out of desperation, steals her pad to forge a prescription for anti-depressants, forcing Harold to heed Phil's warning about his daughter's condition. Meanwhile, Edna learns the disturbing truth about why her daughter does not want to pursue a relationship with Dr. Brown.
S1

The Pilot
The Great Doctor Brown
Friendly Fire
The Kissing Bridge
Deer God
The Doctor Is In
We Hold These Truths
Till Death Do Us Part
Turf Wars
Is There a Doctor in the House?
A Thanksgiving Tale
Vegetative State
The Price of Fame
Colin the Second
Snow Job
My Funny Valentine
Everwood Confidential
The Unveiling
The Miracle of Everwood
Moonlight Sonata
Episode 20
Fear Itself
Home

S2

The Last of Summer
Extra Ordinary
My Brother's Keeper
East Meets West
Daddy's Little Girl
Blind Faith
Three Miners from Everwood
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood

Last edited by 'Tos; 03-25-2010 at 11:51 AM
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Some of my thoughts on the episode.......
  • I cannot believe that Ephram did not offer a strong rebuttal about the car that Andy selected for him....and how clueless and enthusiastic Andy was!
  • "It's like two of what I imagined painted in a color called ugly." ...Poor Ephram.
  • As far as I'm concerned.......Ephram has plenty of Mojo to spare.
  • I forgot how horrible Madison's band/voice was. I could tell from his expression that Ephram agrees.
  • Jay is the epitome of a creepy guy.
  • Madison asks for Ephram's opinion....he gives it....she gets pissed and leaves in a huff. Did she want Ephram to lie?
  • Amy's bangs of sadness were so extremely evident this episode. This is very scary behavior for a parent to witness..
  • "Boys are so obvious." Delia is so wise.
  • Take ten. Who says that?!?
  • I love when Ephram gets all Piano/Genius/Prodigy on us. Madison likes it, too.
  • Did Madison really have to suck Jay's face in front of poor Ephram after he was nice enough to make her song actually tolerable? And.....what exactly is Jay's appeal?
  • I didn't understand Harold's stubbornness about prescribing medication for Amy....not when he could see how lost she was and how much hurt she was feeling. I would not have been able to write that prescription fast enough.
  • I liked Linda. She had a very sweet, very warm character.
  • "You got it right with the Meningitis thing.....how come I got jipped on the kiss? Poor Andy.
  • I just love seeing Ephram with the upper hand with Madison.....just leave them wanting more.
  • Boy......I never want to piss off Delia. She has that "Looks that kill" expression down pat.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Master Fan

Great thoughts, Betty. I can't wait to watch tomorrow and get back to the rewatches.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 03-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I sincerely hope that we get more people than 'Tos and I rewatching this episode.
I know that Madison can be annoying....but...there are so good things here...for example..Ephram's car.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Master Fan

Absolutely! And if people aren't interested in this episode or the next ones, we can always skip a few. Just as long as we get people doing the rewatches. That's the important thing.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Loyal Fan

2 fairly "out there" episodes in a row. First the Lighthouse, then a psychic? What was going on in the writer's room!?

I was never too big on Phil, sure there were a couple of good moments, including some comic gold with Thurman and Jensen, but on the whole...meh.

Agreed on the Madison's voice sucks thing, Betty. Was it actually Sarah singing or did they dub someone else's voice in? I can see it either way. I always crack up at Sarahs delivery of "Go ahead, tell her how much she sucks at it" when Ephram sees that Delia and her are playing Spit. She does bitter good.

Linda/Andy/Edna. What else is there to say aside from,
Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views.

-Squall Leonhart
ShadowMagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
First the Lighthouse, then a psychic? What was going on in the writer's room!?
I think they were spending some quality time with Bill Schmicker, if you know what I mean.

They dubbed in someone else's voice for Sarah Lancaster -- there's an article somewhere, um...well, 'Tos posted it at some point, so it must be around someplace; I just remember it was a woman named Nicole Something-or-Other. You have to wonder how bad Sarah Lancaster's voice was that this was a suitable substitution...
Thief Of Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief Of Love (View Post)
. You have to wonder how bad Sarah Lancaster's voice was that this was a suitable substitution...
If that was supposed to be a better replacement for Sarah....then I think that Sarah should even be banned from singing in the shower!!
Old 03-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

LOL. That singing was enough to make me want to pound my head against the wall. Talk about torture.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I think they were spending some quality time with Bill Schmicker, if you know what I mean.

They dubbed in someone else's voice for Sarah Lancaster -- there's an article somewhere, um...well, 'Tos posted it at some point, so it must be around someplace; I just remember it was a woman named Nicole Something-or-Other. You have to wonder how bad Sarah Lancaster's voice was that this was a suitable substitution...
Heh, the worst part of that article was that poor Nicole's performance as Madison's voice was the thing being promoted. Yikes!

Shadow! You! Post more! Hee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
I was never too big on Phil, sure there were a couple of good moments, including some comic gold with Thurman and Jensen, but on the whole...meh.
For an "everyman", blue collar type character, he came off really pretentious, heh.

I think the problem with this episode and the one before it is that they put too much focus into the townies. Especially townies that never show up again or have any real significance. I get the townies in S1 to show what the town is like. But by S2? We know that. And we want to see the major characters that are interesting, not random townies that are not.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
And we want to see the major characters that are interesting, not random townies that are not.
Exactly. I can't even muster up much to say about this ep. It's just...meh.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn74 (View Post)
Exactly. I can't even muster up much to say about this ep. It's just...meh.
Hee, this is why S2 is my least favourite despite some very strong stories. There's just too many episodes that leave me feeling meh and having nothing to say and we've definitely ran into a period of those episodes. "Just Like in the Movies", the next one, at least has a lot of Bright/Ephram and Linda's HIV revelation, but then there's the introduction of Tommy, and lots more Madison/Ephram which will probably end up leaving quite a few people (including me!) feeling meh too!

But we have "Unhappy Holidays", "Family Dynamics" and "Forget Me Not" coming very soon which really get the season going with lots of darkness. But good darkness!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Heh.

Quote:
Oh god. This. Blows my mind. Whoever told this poor girl that she could sing should be shot. *shakes head*

Quote:
I think the problem with this episode and the one before it is that they put too much focus into the townies. Especially townies that never show up again or have any real significance. I get the townies in S1 to show what the town is like. But by S2? We know that. And we want to see the major characters that are interesting, not random townies that are not.
I can agree with this.

Quote:
There's just too many episodes that leave me feeling meh and having nothing to say and we've definitely ran into a period of those episodes. "Just Like in the Movies", the next one, at least has a lot of Bright/Ephram and Linda's HIV revelation, but then there's the introduction of Tommy, and lots more Madison/Ephram which will probably end up leaving quite a few people (including me!) feeling meh too!

But we have "Unhappy Holidays", "Family Dynamics" and "Forget Me Not" coming very soon which really get the season going with lots of darkness. But good darkness!
Well I've always liked JLitM, so you'll get nothing but praise for me on that one, but I do think they were struggling a bit to fit the town and that atmosphere into these episodes. Slumps happen, unfortunately, but at least with Everwood, there are at least a few things to like in a "meh" episode.
Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views.

-Squall Leonhart
ShadowMagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Well I've always liked JLitM, so you'll get nothing but praise for me on that one, but I do think they were struggling a bit to fit the town and that atmosphere into these episodes. Slumps happen, unfortunately, but at least with Everwood, there are at least a few things to like in a "meh" episode.
Oh yeah, so true. And the amazing episodes more than make up for the rare meh ones, which are pretty darn few and far between. We've only found, like, three in S2, and I'm pretty sure there is only one in S1! That's just damned impressive.
Reply   Post New Thread