Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Master Fan

The Everwood Rewatch Fest: "Blind Faith" (S2, Ep. 6)

We'll keep this up for one or two weeks and then go on to the next episode. After you've watched the episode, you can comment on it anyway you'd like, big or small. You can focus on certain characters, scenes, quotes, or the episode as a whole. You can tie the episode to the rest of the series, or comment about it as a self-contained episode. It's all up to you! You can always give your thoughts after the one week period, as all rewatch threads will stay open for more thoughts and anymore discussion. Thanks!

Blind Faith

Written By: David Hudgins
Directed By: Sandy Smolan

Quote:
Original Air Date—20 October 2003
Dr. Abbott suspects that Linda and Andy like each other more than they should, so he decides to set his sister up with more appropriate suitors. Meanwhile, Ephram finally has the courage to tell Amy how he really feels about their relationship, but he is confused by his feelings for Madison, who comes to the rescue when Ephram needs help to pass his driving test. Andy tries to help the soon-to-be-remarried Reverend Keyes cope with his impending blindness, but the minister would rather leave his fate to God than attempt a new treatment that might save his sight.

imdb

If you haven't already, please feel free to comment on our previous episodes:

S1

The Pilot
The Great Doctor Brown
Friendly Fire
The Kissing Bridge
Deer God
The Doctor Is In
We Hold These Truths
Till Death Do Us Part
Turf Wars
Is There a Doctor in the House?
A Thanksgiving Tale
Vegetative State
The Price of Fame
Colin the Second
Snow Job
My Funny Valentine
Everwood Confidential
The Unveiling
The Miracle of Everwood
Moonlight Sonata
Episode 20
Fear Itself
Home

S2

The Last of Summer
Extra Ordinary
My Brother's Keeper
East Meets West
Daddy's Little Girl
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Master Fan

Yay! Love this ep. Assuming I'm not myself blind by the end of the week, totally looking forward to the rewatch.
Thief Of Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's one of my favorite episodes of the Show! I will definitely rewatch this one.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Snow day....home from work.....great day to re-watch this fabulous episode.

Some of my thoughts....

• I love Ephram with the Driving instructor.....how can a guy be so bad at driving?!
  • I hate that this so called tea is called "Chai Tea". Do you know that the Arabic word for tea is "Chai"? So......this new tea is really called "Tea Tea".
  • In the real world Amy would never pass her driving test being one point below passing...just because she's a sweet girl and I'm sure the instructor thought she was super cute.
  • I love Ephram's squinty eyes.....super hot.
  • Poor Bright....he has to watch as his pampered sister gets the new car.
  • I love the new chummy Bright/Ephram.....dawg.
  • How many times do we have to hear the words "Kia Sorrento" in an episode?
  • While watching the exchange between Ephram/Amy.....congratulating her on her new KIA SORRENTO. I expected to see Amy looking at Ephram in admiration as he walked away (she does that a lot)....but I also noticed the way that Laynie looked at him. Do you guys think that she still had feelings for him at this point or do you think that she was over him?
  • Do you honestly believe that Rose would not allow Harold to see a movie with his sister because she's cooking a pot roast?
  • Poor Harold....the thought of Linda/Andy is such a horrible thought for him.
  • Madison is so perfect.....she knows how to do everything.....such a genius.
  • "I'm sorry Doris, but it's college night on Jeapardy." What a night! College Night......Pot Roast night.....I guess it's better than a Fest.
  • "I happen to be deceptively strong...that's all."
  • Not good of Laynie to bail on Amy....good friends don't do that. She should have made the date with "Eyes" for another night.
  • Why did Madison linger at the door when Amy came calling? You did your job, Madison. You opened the door. Now move out of the way!!
  • Adorable gracious Ephram.....cute car warming gifts. Amy so deserved being told off in this scene.
  • I adore the Bright/Amy exchange about Ephram. This is one of my favorite Everwood scenes.
  • Pale skin and black clothes...
  • IMHO....Ephram looked super hot while standing with Madison waiting for his turn (driving test).
  • Didn't you just know that Amy would show up just when Ephram was kissing Madison? It was inevitable.
  • Great line: "You heard the woman.....dip me!" I'm going to have to use it.
  • Bright was just adorable with Delia and her friends at the wedding.
  • What happened to Nina's hair.....horrible.
  • I have never heard of a "Groom's Cake". Is this a regional thing?
  • I miss "At Last".
  • Loved the dance.....very hot...but was also a sign of things to come (Andy/Linda)....(Ephram/Madison).
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Master Fan

I love chai. It's awesome, even if the name is redundant -- black tea and spices and milk and a little sugar. Fantastic.

For some reason, I'm familiar with the groom's cake concept, though my search says it originated in the South, to which I have no ties whatsoever aside from a grandmother from Virginia. But I think I may have seen it on the Food Network, one of the food magazines or Martha Stewart Living, or our 26-volume Encyclopedia of Cookery.

...Or, maybe it was from here...
Old 02-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Addicted Fan

We do grooms' cakes here, never realized it might be a regional thing. Traditionally it will be a chocolate cake since the main wedding cake is traditionally vanilla.

Quote:
Oh. My. Word. I am still laughing over the one with the guy obsessed with the Golden Girls. Because that? Is freaking hysterical.

Anyway, the ep. I guess I may be the only one that doesn't care for this ep, as a whole, all that much. Once again Andy completely disregards the wishes of his patient, and IMO goes way too far by involving the Rev's fiancee in convincing him that he should have the surgery.

LOVE Amy and Bright's conversation about Ephram though. That may very well be my favorite part of the ep. "What gear are you in?"
Old 02-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Master Fan

Hee, I love that we've got yet another blatant product placement episode. We should try and get someone to sponsor these Rewatches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
Do you honestly believe that Rose would not allow Harold to see a movie with his sister because she's cooking a pot roast?
Not at all. Rose doesn't seem like the type of person to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
I miss "At Last".
The replacement is nice and all, but nothing can top that song in that context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief
How did you possibly stumble on to that? Hee.

By the way, Thief, have you got the DVD yet? If not, are you planning to at all?
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 02-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
How did you possibly stumble on to that? Hee.
Oh, I started reading that blog a couple of years ago. I think my mother got the link from one of her email groups.

And no, I haven't bought the DVDs yet. I probably will get them at some point (I feel like a bad fan for not boosting the sales a little more so S3 comes out, heh), but for the time being I'd rather use my money for the things I don't have. Tapes aren't perfect, but at least I get to listen to the original music!

I really will get to the 'rewatch' part of this soon. Especially in the hope that I stumble upon another cool-looking shot like that underwater dream sequence from "Daddy's Little Girl," because that was a very useful find.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Master Fan

You should feel like a bad fan. What if Warner is just waiting for one more person to buy the DVDs? WHAT IF??? Hee.

Yeah, I might rewatch tonight. I've been trying to get out of the sports thread a little bit more in the last hour to keep some other threads active while we all enjoy the Olympics, but I'll be back in it tonight. Soon, even! So..well, maybe I'll rewatch tomorrow. Or one of these days. There's too many other things on TV I want to see! Now I feel like a bad Everwood fan, heh.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:34 PM
Master Fan

I would typically be taking this down tomorrow, but I'm thinking we should extend this with the Olympics on and all? Especially since Betty is the only one who did it, hee. for that. I don't mind extending it if everyone else is okay with it. I'm hoping to rewatch the ep tomorrow because I'm back in an Everwood mood in a big way. Hence most of the front page being me bumping a bunch of Everwood stuff up, hee.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Master Fan

*runs in, breathless* I'm here! I'm here!

I cannot watch this episode now without laughing hysterically at every moment that involves the Kia Sorento. Especially because now I'm largely conflating it with Leo's imaginary acquisition of such on the OT thread, and so when Amy poked her head into the car through the open window I almost lost it completely.

I really didn't pay much attention here, though, hmm. Kind of have three browser windows open at once and am alternating between reading and writing, so, um, not conducive to good rewatching.

You know what? I rather like the Madison-coaches-Ephram's driving scene. It's sort of this very brief window in time where she's not being condescending, but she's also not doing something probably illegal. It's just a little moment where someone is friendly to Ephram, and advises him usefully, and it's nice. I mean, then he kisses her and everything starts going down its weird little path, but I think it's nice when people are nice to Ephram. And make him say "I own this bitca." Heh. But there's a question there: would any of you have liked Madison better if she had become a good friend to Ephram rather than his first serious girlfriend?

Oh, it's the Charades episode! Hee. Love Harold getting angry over no one guessing "Jesus," yet "Justin Timberlake," right off the bat. Also, Harold's epic, epic "John Malkovich version of The Brady Bunch" speech. How far did that get in the last Tournament? Final four, I'm thinking (it was a full slate of Harold quotes), if it wasn't the one that went all the way.

As after the "Snow Job" rewatch, I'm very sad that we never had any more Rev. Keyes after this. He and Andy had some nifty conversations on Big Topics. They'll just have to have another in Virtual Season 5.

Totally not to rub it in anyone's face, but I do deeply appreciate my ABC Family tapes when it comes to getting "September" and "At Last." Such great song choices. Both of them, because the festive, "all the townies have fun" feel of the first is just as important to me as the latter. Mainly because I dig Earth, Wind and Fire, as well as the sight of Bright dancing with Delia while her disgruntled friends line up behind her for a turn with him, hee.

On groom's cakes, since my last post: my New Yorker mother noted that she had one at her first wedding (not to my father) and that it's quite possibly an old German or English tradition -- it was customarily a fruitcake, and meant to be something for guests to take back with them to eat on the way.

Last edited by Thief Of Love; 02-21-2010 at 10:32 AM
Old 02-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief Of Love (View Post)
On groom's cakes, since my last post: my New Yorker mother noted that she had one at her first wedding (not to my father) and that it's quite possibly an old German or English tradition -- it was customarily a fruitcake, and meant to be something for guests to take back with them to eat on the way.
Don't have the time to rewach or comment on anything, but I, as a German, have to say that I have never ever heard of a groom's cake.. I don't think it's from here.

Quote:
I cannot watch this episode now without laughing hysterically at every moment that involves the Kia Sorento. Especially because now I'm largely conflating it with Leo's imaginary acquisition of such on the OT thread, and so when Amy poked her head into the car through the open window I almost lost it completely.
Hee!
That scene where Amy runs down that hill and straight into that car with her head through the window is so hilarious! I always imagine her doing that a little too fast and actually falling in. With only a pair of legs oddly hanging out the window. I can't get enough of it!
Abomasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for that, Leo. Ah! Okay, did a little more judicious Googling, and here we go:

Quote:
In the 1800's, wedding cakes were fruitcakes (before baking powder, baking soda, etc) and this tradition was brought to the US with the Pilgrims from England. After white cake was available, the fruitcake tradition became known as the groom's cake.
Weddings Galore - Wedding Traditions

Never before have I spent this much time researching or pondering anything related to weddings, .

And

Quote:
I always imagine her doing that a little too fast and actually falling in. With only a pair of legs oddly hanging out the window.
to that mental image. I feel strangely motivated now to assemble a poignant video tribute to the Cars of Everwood, hee.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief Of Love (View Post)
But there's a question there: would any of you have liked Madison better if she had become a good friend to Ephram rather than his first serious girlfriend?
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I'm not entirely sure I ever would have really liked her all that much, even as just Ephram's friend and/or Delia's babysitter, but them never getting together would have helped a great deal. Along with her losing the condescending way she spoke to both Ephram and Andy.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief
...I mean, then he kisses her and everything starts going down its weird little path, but I think it's nice when people are nice to Ephram.
Then why didn't you like Wendell?!? He was one of the consistently nicest people to Ephram on the series! I think I'm channeling Betty with that question, hee.

Quote:
But there's a question there: would any of you have liked Madison better if she had become a good friend to Ephram rather than his first serious girlfriend?
Better? Yes. A lot more? Not really, hee. As Taryn alluded too, she had a lot more problems for me than just her relationship with Ephram. She was just a bag full of ugh a lot of the time with her condescending attitude towards everyone. I don't even get what she has to be condescending about! I mean, the girl plays in a crappy band, goes to college, has a few parties and babysits for a job (nothing against babysitting, of course, it just seems more like a high school job than a college one). Why does she think she's so special again?

I actually would have adored her just as Delia's babysitter, though. I liked her and Delia together. It's just funny that her being a babysitter was never the emphasis for the character. Even when she was "just " a babysitter to Delia, her focus was on Ephram or Andy. What's up with that?
Reply   Post New Thread