Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 05:12 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForVanAngel (View Post)
Charles played Tommy Gavin's father on Rescue Me. What do you espect from that? He did a good job playing that character, so it doesn't matter if you like him or not - and the father wasn't likeable.

Matt, it certainly does matter to me if I like a character. Not only did I not like his character as both Eugene and Tommy's father...but couldn't stand listening to him. I hate his voice and I hate the way that he speaks...the way that he slurs his words. He always sounds like he's drunk.

This is my personal opinion...and I'm stating it. Others don't have to agree with me.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 12-30-2012 at 05:33 AM
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:10 AM
Obsessed Fan

Betty, that's perfectly fine. Sorry for my wrong statement, I also can't stand characters of various shows, so I know what you mean. I don't remember having that problem with Charles characters and unfortunately can't remember him on Everwood, only have watched the 4th season once. It's good that you told me/us how you feel.
The truth is hidden right in front of our eyes, in plain sight, often hidden between the lines. Those who know how to read the signs and to see the symbols, can uncover not only the truth but also the meaning of our entire existence and why things are the way they are. To think there are no consequences and one isn't responsible for what one does in his only life is foolish. Your body will die, but your soul will live forever.
ForVanAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Betty I might be wrong, but it looks like you don't like the actor so of course you won't like his characters either. Which is of course totally fine. I agree with Matt about the fact that sometimes I might not like some character and still like the actor. For example Chuck in Gossip Girl - I dislike him, but the actor actually does good job making me hate him .

I haven't watched him in Rescue Me, because I haven't watched that show. In Everwood I was like so so about him. I didn't hate him, but I wasn't that impressed either.

Anyway he is dead, so we should at least say rest in peace.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:33 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I agree with Matt about the fact that sometimes I might not like some character and still like the actor
I often have a hard time doing that. I know it's not right..it's a personal thing with me.
I kind of believe that this is the way this actor is in real life, because his characters on Rescue Me and Everwood are so similar.

Quote:
Anyway he is dead, so we should at least say rest in peace.
Of course. May he rest in peace.

Quote:
Sorry for my wrong statement
There are no wrong statements....only different opinions.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Yes, all the stuff on free time is. There are some shows were you could chose between German and English, but only a few at best. Pay tv channels have both I think. It sucks.
That does suck.

Koni, what's it like in Bulgaria?
Wilpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Obsessed Fan

I forgot to say that Germany has a big market for tv shows with Swiss, Austria also included, so it makes sense to dub everything. Northern countries like Scandinavia only broadcast subtitled shows. I found you an article.
The truth is hidden right in front of our eyes, in plain sight, often hidden between the lines. Those who know how to read the signs and to see the symbols, can uncover not only the truth but also the meaning of our entire existence and why things are the way they are. To think there are no consequences and one isn't responsible for what one does in his only life is foolish. Your body will die, but your soul will live forever.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 AM
Obsessed Fan

Fox Officially Passes on Greg Berlanti's 'Guilty' | hollywoodreporter.com

Sounded boring anyway, so no loss I think.

Last edited by ForVanAngel; 01-14-2013 at 05:28 AM
Old 01-14-2013, 02:45 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Michelle it depends on the channel. The BG channels usually dub the shows which I personally don't like. There are some foreign channels that we got and they adds subs. For movies it's different - they do add sub for at least half of them.

Either way I don't watch TV and if I want to watch a show I prefer to be in English, so I just have other ways to enjoy them. However this TV industry doesn't have success here. They have some 2/3 years delay of showing the shows and by that time we've already heard about them and saw them. There are no DVDs selling here - only Amazon, but they will have to be shipped from Germany or England and this means that half of the cost goes to shipping. So yeah our country is not a target for that business.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:06 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Matt, thanks for the link. That is interesting stuff. How many Germans would you say know English at least fairly well? I would guess if the show was just aired straight up in English, the vast majority of people would watch and understand just fine or am I incorrect?

That show did sound boring!

Koni, I understand. Why do you believe the DVD selling is scarce?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:28 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Because people in my country don't like to follow the rules. They have their own ways to watch shows and don't want to buy DVDs. Aside that we are usually more on the PC than DVD or TV so we prefer to have the shows in other storage units.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

That makes sense.

Last edited by Wilpen; 01-14-2013 at 02:37 PM
Old 01-14-2013, 05:41 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
Matt, thanks for the link. That is interesting stuff. How many Germans would you say know English at least fairly well? I would guess if the show was just aired straight up in English, the vast majority of people would watch and understand just fine or am I incorrect?
I don't know but it's another thing with tv shows. There are some I can easily watch without any subtitles at all and understand almost everything but then there are the ones that are not so easy to follow. But if you're not fluent in English, you woulnd't want to watch anything in English and I admit it is exhausting to watch certain movies in English because you don't know what the movie is about or what's going to happen, with tv shows, you already know all the stuff and you can concentrate on the stories and the dialogues. I am sure that a lot of viewers wouldn't watch tv anymore if everything was in English. And since watching films/series is not work but freetime, it should be easy and fun. And to make both original sound and dubs available it would cost the stations too much I've heard.

Sorry for the offtopic here. Movies are usually dubbed very well. Though if you don't like dubs or can't stand them anymore, you don't like them but the voices are pretty good and almost every major actor has it's own signature voice, that's why if you ask me about Will Smith or Bruce Willis, I have difficulties to tell you the English voice in my head, but I do have the German one in my head, because I've heard them very often. Tv shows on the other hand are so different, it's not watchable at all.

Koni, that sucks. I'm glad that I can get all the dvds from amazon, shops and from UK/US.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForVanAngel (View Post)
I don't know but it's another thing with tv shows. There are some I can easily watch without any subtitles at all and understand almost everything but then there are the ones that are not so easy to follow. But if you're not fluent in English, you woulnd't want to watch anything in English and I admit it is exhausting to watch certain movies in English because you don't know what the movie is about or what's going to happen, with tv shows, you already know all the stuff and you can concentrate on the stories and the dialogues. I am sure that a lot of viewers wouldn't watch tv anymore if everything was in English. And since watching films/series is not work but freetime, it should be easy and fun. And to make both original sound and dubs available it would cost the stations too much I've heard.

Sorry for the offtopic here. Movies are usually dubbed very well. Though if you don't like dubs or can't stand them anymore, you don't like them but the voices are pretty good and almost every major actor has it's own signature voice, that's why if you ask me about Will Smith or Bruce Willis, I have difficulties to tell you the English voice in my head, but I do have the German one in my head, because I've heard them very often. Tv shows on the other hand are so different, it's not watchable at all.

Koni, that sucks. I'm glad that I can get all the dvds from amazon, shops and from UK/US.
Very interesting.

Matt, how did you discover Everwood?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
Very interesting.

Matt, how did you discover Everwood?
Thanks. I discovered Everwood very late on TV when nothing was on and I watched an episode of season 2, where Amy is depressed after Colin's death and moves to the grandparents. That was the first one. That was when I didn't have the internet and only had 3 tv channels (today that would be enough, but back then I didn't have a dvd collection and so on).
Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Obsessed Fan

CW Greenlights Greg Berlanti-Julie Plec's 'Tomorrow People' & David Marshall Grant-Produced 'Blink' As Pilots - Deadline.com

Not for me. Sounds very Heroes-ish and I don't like Superhero stuff. Sorry, Greg, and it's on the CW, so it will be something teenageresk.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top